Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Solutions?
Hit the computer with a hammer
Install Ubuntu GNU/Linux the free operating system from norway
Waluigi
Get out and look at titties op
View Results

• Locked thread
mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Rutibex posted:

what is the best version of lunix to duel boot? i am reinstalling my OS anyway, may as well add in a lunix and see if i like it. i tried it back in like 2004 for a year and i felt really cool, but it was more frustrating than anything. i assume its has got better?

but what is the best linux? i used Ubuntuuu last time because it seemed easy, is that one still good?

speaking as someone who used linux 14 years ago, yes it is way way better. this will be your best bet: https://linuxmint.com/download.php

I switched to windows 10 after using debian or ubuntu for over a decade because of some games. after a year of using it the fall creator's update came and broke a bunch of poo poo so I switched back to linux, and the vast majority of games I wanted to play work in wine anyway; in Civ 4's case even better than it did in windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fanatic posted:

I use a Mac and yesterday, despite being on OSX, Microsoft still managed to alt-tab me during a game of Rocket League to install an Office update! Because of that the other team scored a goal and I lost :argh:

No sorry Microsoft knows what's best for you and are never wrong close thread

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mycophobia posted:

speaking as someone who used linux 14 years ago, yes it is way way better. this will be your best bet: https://linuxmint.com/download.php

I switched to windows 10 after using debian or ubuntu for over a decade because of some games. after a year of using it the fall creator's update came and broke a bunch of poo poo so I switched back to linux, and the vast majority of games I wanted to play work in wine anyway; in Civ 4's case even better than it did in windows

to be honest most of the games i play are ancient and would likely run on Wine anyway. that wasn't my big problem with Linux, not the games (i mostly played emulators and they are great on linux) but all of the little random software tools i have collected from the internet. like this .exe that spits out randmized Super Metriod roms, or ultimate conways game of life, or my favorite procedural midi generator, or the diablo 2 patch editor, etc. all of that stuff is a one off, you can't find linux versions. but I assume it could work easily in wine?

edit: ok there are 4 version of mint linux "Cinnamon" "MATE" "Xfce" and "KDE". which one is best? i am looking for an experience most like windows XP

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 15, 2018

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Rutibex posted:

what is the best version of lunix to duel boot? i am reinstalling my OS anyway, may as well add in a lunix and see if i like it. i tried it back in like 2004 for a year and i felt really cool, but it was more frustrating than anything. i assume its has got better?

but what is the best linux? i used Ubuntuuu last time because it seemed easy, is that one still good?

Debian, ubuntu, or mint imo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
fedora gnome :w00t:

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Smythe :(

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Nah that stuff probably won't work in Wine. Use virtualization if you want Windows things under Linux. If you have a modern CPU with VT-D you can pass-through your GPU to VM Windows too. I have an i5 2500K though which doesn't support that though so I don't have personal experience with it but I've hear it works pretty well.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Rutibex posted:

to be honest most of the games i play are ancient and would likely run on Wine anyway. that wasn't my big problem with Linux, not the games (i mostly played emulators and they are great on linux) but all of the little random software tools i have collected from the internet. like this .exe that spits out randmized Super Metriod roms, or ultimate conways game of life, or my favorite procedural midi generator, or the diablo 2 patch editor, etc. all of that stuff is a one off, you can't find linux versions. but I assume it could work easily in wine?

edit: ok there are 4 version of mint linux "Cinnamon" "MATE" "Xfce" and "KDE". which one is best? i am looking for an experience most like windows XP

I really like XFCE, it's what I'm using now. it's light and it provides most of the features of a modern DE. but ymmv obv. I think by default it gives you some weird taskbar settings but you can easily make it like Windows XP's taskbar by setting it to one panel, bottom of the screen, etc.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
um as far as wine stuff if there's not an entry on https://appdb.winehq.org/ for it it's pretty much trial and error.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Pressing the enter key on a file in OSX renames the file instead of opening it :lol:

Hahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pressing the enter key on a file in OSX renames the file instead of opening it :lol:

That’s the correct way to do it :11tea:

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Rutibex posted:

Cinnamon. Xfce is the super lightweight version, KDE is the pretty effects version, idk what mate is. Those are all just frontends to the same poo poo, you can even have more than one installed at a time if you want. A lot of your little tools will probably work in wine but for obscure stuff like that you kinda have to just try and see, there's always virtualization or switching to your windows install if you're gonna dual boot anyways

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
xfce sucks dog balls and is ugly and unusable as sin. dive deep into pure blue waters of GNOME and experience a truly blissful desktop environment. A JOY TO USE

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha Mayo posted:

Nah that stuff probably won't work in Wine. Use virtualization if you want Windows things under Linux. If you have a modern CPU with VT-D you can pass-through your GPU to VM Windows too. I have an i5 2500K though which doesn't support that though so I don't have personal experience with it but I've hear it works pretty well.

oh i thought thats what WINE was, like a windows emulator

mycophobia posted:

I really like XFCE, it's what I'm using now. it's light and it provides most of the features of a modern DE. but ymmv obv. I think by default it gives you some weird taskbar settings but you can easily make it like Windows XP's taskbar by setting it to one panel, bottom of the screen, etc.

i've been looking them over and KDE seems like the most flashy and cool desktop. i am leaning towards that. they have much slicker marketing than the other linuxs flavors.

but they all have different advnatges. geez why do these nerds have to make this so difficult, its all open source they could all work on the one desktop instead of 4 different ones no on is stopping them

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
KDE is disgusting

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I remember using KDE in the 3 series and really loved the sheer amount of customization. but speed and responsiveness and staying mostly the gently caress out of my face is most important to me these days

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

mint is based on ubuntu and debian, and is basically ubuntu with way too much poo poo installed by default

just use ubuntu or xubuntu or regular assed debian instead

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I "needed" to use linux for some projects I was doing for fun the last year or so. Been using ubuntu. If you can use Windows you can use ubuntu imo.

I still use windows for pretty much every single thing in my computing life though. Linux is just good for some networking stuff :shrug:

Theres no reason you couldn't use it on a day to day basis for browsing or office type stuff though its pretty full feature in that regard.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Other than the fact that retro pie can't connect to an arcade monitor and can't run 320x240 and can't emulate any arcade games made after 1993 you're 100% right

I have one of mine connected to an RGB monitor [a broadcast monitor] outputting 240p, using the retrotink RGB board

and there are cheaper options like the gert vga666 board for doing 240p over vga/RGBHV

so lol

also it emulates plenty of things but I recently changed my dedicated arcade setup to an i5 PC running Ubuntu + RetroPie for Ubuntu and it's much better

scott zoloft posted:

Give LTSB a shot. No windows store, no edge, no seasonal service pack updates. Just security updates.

I cannot second this enough

I really wish there was a commercially available "enthusiast" / "I know what the gently caress I'm doing" / "I don't give a hot gay gently caress about candy crush or other 'features'" build of windows 10 that you didn't have to have MSDN access to get

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.

Rutibex posted:

oh i thought thats what WINE was, like a windows emulator

lol, what do you think WINE stands for?

please look it up

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

I have one of mine connected to an RGB monitor [a broadcast monitor] outputting 240p, using the retrotink RGB board

and there are cheaper options like the gert vga666 board for doing 240p over vga/RGBHV

so lol

also it emulates plenty of things but I recently changed my dedicated arcade setup to an i5 PC running Ubuntu + RetroPie for Ubuntu and it's much better

Well it's running specialty hardware like the Ultimarc ultimate io which I believe only works in Windows, as well as the LED Wiz so only certain buttons light up depending on what game you are playing. Not to mention it's not really doing 320x240, it's doing some crazy poo poo via CRT Emudriver that makes every game, no matter the resolution, look perfect.

Out of curiosity though, can the Retropie run things like Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Killer Instinct 2, and House of the Dead 2 (Sega arcade version) at 60fps? I would imagine not but I'm not really aware of this stuff since my friend's retropie stuttered on N64 games

The computer I'm using is a 7 year old Core i7 (from before even Sandy Bridge came out) so it didn't exactly break the bank for me or anything

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just got windowned. They killed spinny disk.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

scott zoloft posted:

Give LTSB a shot. No windows store, no edge, no seasonal service pack updates. Just security updates.

I learned about LTSB from a thread like this one. It's been pretty great.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lmao windows 10 enthusiast edition

yea im a loving malware enthusiast sign me up for computer aids and bi annual updates so i can play my video games better

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Out of curiosity though, can the Retropie run things like Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Killer Instinct 2, and House of the Dead 2 (Sega arcade version) at 60fps? I would imagine not but I'm not really aware of this stuff since my friend's retropie stuttered on N64 games

I haven't tired a ton of arcade games on mine, but UMK3 and stuff as recent at Capcom CPS-3 (SF3, Jojo, etc.) runs at full speed with plenty of CPU cycles to spare.

N64 stuttering doesn't mean much because nobody has developed a good N64 emulator yet. CEN64 and MAME are the only emulators I know of that even attempt to emulate it properly and both need like 25 GHz CPUs to even come close to being playable.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Code Jockey posted:

so lol

I cannot second this enough

I really wish there was a commercially available "enthusiast" / "I know what the gently caress I'm doing" / "I don't give a hot gay gently caress about candy crush or other 'features'" build of windows 10 that you didn't have to have MSDN access to get

I'm pretty sure you were the one who told me about it. Now it's what I've been throwing on our machines for work. Thanks a bunch man! :)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Well it's running specialty hardware like the Ultimarc ultimate io which I believe only works in Windows, as well as the LED Wiz so only certain buttons light up depending on what game you are playing. Not to mention it's not really doing 320x240, it's doing some crazy poo poo via CRT Emudriver that makes every game, no matter the resolution, look perfect.

The computer I'm using is a 7 year old Core i7 (from before even Sandy Bridge came out) so it didn't exactly break the bank for me or anything

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is not the game you want. you should be playing the best version around, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and/or Mortal Kombat Revelations hack:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1826/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYvUS6lDmeg

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Rutibex posted:

Cinnamon works well.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

scott zoloft posted:

I'm pretty sure you were the one who told me about it. Now it's what I've been throwing on our machines for work. Thanks a bunch man! :)

:respek:

Statutory Ape posted:

yea im a loving malware enthusiast sign me up for computer aids and bi annual updates so i can play my video games better

same

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I haven't tired a ton of arcade games on mine, but UMK3 and stuff as recent at Capcom CPS-3 (SF3, Jojo, etc.) runs at full speed with plenty of CPU cycles to spare.

N64 stuttering doesn't mean much because nobody has developed a good N64 emulator yet. CEN64 and MAME are the only emulators I know of that even attempt to emulate it properly and both need like 25 GHz CPUs to even come close to being playable.

and same

the game that made me really want to move to a PC based retropie platform was Tetris the Grand Master, it played horribly on the pi

well that and wanting to do dreamcast emulation on it

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
OP you should look into running RetroArch on Debian

Code Jockey posted:

:respek:

the game that made me really want to move to a PC based retropie platform was Tetris the Grand Master, it played horribly on the pi

well that and wanting to do dreamcast emulation on it

What I have started doing for friends is buying net tops off of eBay because they go for similar money as a pi once you get the pi/case/SD card. The major benefit being a full fledged x86 processor instead of an ARM and often times dedicated graphics. This plus RetroArch running on your choice of Linux gives you a much better experience than a "RetroPi" setup in terms of performance but also in terms of compatibility (Dreamcast is supported with several emulators, beta updates for "cores" are added frequently).

Edit: AOpen Digital Engines have been my platform of choice, I can get them for $30-$50 on eBay.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What is the actual reason that they just couldn't continue Windows XP forever? Like update it and stuff but let things run it? Why was it so awful that it had to be replaced? Technically, I mean.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What is the actual reason that they just couldn't continue Windows XP forever? Like update it and stuff but let things run it? Why was it so awful that it had to be replaced? Technically, I mean.

lol

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

If anyone actually tries to answer this you will not want to read it lol

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.

several complicated technical reasons:

1) Capitalism.
2) Money.
3) The making and spending of money.
4) ???
5) Profit.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

DamnCanadian posted:

This. Long Term Service Branch is Windows 10 without all the bullshit nobody needs
With ClassicShell, it's pretty much Windows 7.1.

You can do it. A registry key hack will trick it into thinking it's XP POSready, which is Windows for cash registers, which still gets security updates.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Hey op this may have been mentioned but the closest I got to get w10 update to chill out was by turning on metered mode or w/e its called. Makes windows think that your connection is paid from mb to mb so it restricts updates because ms doesnt want to deal with you getting pissed because they accidentally spent some of your money. It still tells you there are updates and some updates are considered super important and it will still install those so yeah.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

That is the dumbest loving thing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

limaCAT posted:

Hey GBS what should I do to permanently disable Microsoft Windows Update?

It took me forever to get an actual answer to this and every suggestion failed to work as Microsoft kept turning them back on.

Then I found.. Shut Up, Computer
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Seriously this will turn the poo poo off and keep it off.

Mindblast posted:

Hey op this may have been mentioned but the closest I got to get w10 update to chill out was by turning on metered mode or w/e its called. Makes windows think that your connection is paid from mb to mb so it restricts updates because ms doesnt want to deal with you getting pissed because they accidentally spent some of your money. It still tells you there are updates and some updates are considered super important and it will still install those so yeah.

Seriously get that program and Windows will shut the gently caress up forever. I had my doubts after trying everything, and holy poo poo did it work.

ED: Hell OP try it out and sticky it to the opening post, it does the job

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

420 SWAGLORD posted:

If anyone actually tries to answer this you will not want to read it lol

I mean I don't gotta read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is not the game you want. you should be playing the best version around, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and/or Mortal Kombat Revelations hack:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1826/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYvUS6lDmeg

drat I would be all over that if it wasn't the Genesis version.

Is there some version of MK Trilogy I should know about? The PS1 and Saturn ones have horrendous load times (Shang Tsung morphing locks the game up for 7 seconds :stare: ) and the N64 one sounds like hot farts. Why hasn't anyone hacked MK Trilogy into the UMK3 arcade ROM? Why not done?

What is the version of MKT you like?

• Locked thread