Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

precision posted:

we need to end the charade of speed limits. i have literally never been pulled over for going 5 over the limit

Neither have I (I've been pulled over for speeding many times but never for less than 11 over), but one of my friends was recently pulled over for doing exactly 5 over. It's possibly unrelated, but he happens to be Mexican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if you can find one, uh, in the trash or whatever, slapping a pizza delivery topper on your car is a great way to avoid ever getting pulled over for anything, ever, unless you gently caress up and speed or w/e

so like if you were hypothetically driving cross town with a bunch of drugs just slap that Pizza Hut signage on your roof and do the speed limit and you will never get pulled over

veiled boner fuel posted:

Neither have I (I've been pulled over for speeding many times but never for less than 11 over), but one of my friends was recently pulled over for doing exactly 5 over. It's possibly unrelated, but he happens to be Mexican.

oof, yeah, possibly! cops will pull over nonwhites for stupid poo poo like "didn't use turn signal even though nobody was around"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Depends where you are prob tbf. My small town cops had nothing better to do than hit their quota on the way to picking up drunks and crackheads lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
a friend of mine once got pulled over for using a store parking lot as a turn lane and ended up with like 20 tickets bc she had a suspended license and a broken tail light and all kind of poo poo

don't gently caress with johnny law

ed: to be fair, the cop totally could have taken her to jail and had her car towed and it's a miracle he didn't

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
She could have sucked his dick..

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You should use turn signals and obey stop signs even if there is noone around hth

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

veiled boner fuel posted:

Yeah that poo poo sucks. Occasionally it happens in a way that's kinda unforeseeable but 99% of the time it's just people being being idiots or assholes.

I was gonna say most places like that will have a double solid yellow where legally you can't turn left because no one should be stopping traffic for that poo poo but after a brief google apparently you totally can completely stop traffic as long as you want to turn left over double yellows, who knew.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Colonel Cancer posted:

You should use turn signals and obey stop signs even if there is noone around hth

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
stop signs sure but if it's 3 AM and there's literally nobody around you shouldn't get a ticket for not signalling that you're turning into the taco bell drive thru :mad:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

a bone to pick posted:

maybe I didn't explain myself properly:

Let's say harry wants to get to papa johns off of thaxton road:

harry is coming from the right, so he'll have to take a left. If thaxton road's right lane has a lot of traffic people are going to fill up every empty space, meaning harry will have to brake and wait for the lane to start moving before he can get his god drat pizza.

harry is the green car trying to take a left. look at how much traffic has been caused because of that one rear end in a top hat blocking the entrance to papa johns, if he only pulled forward or knew when to brake so he wouldn't block the entrance then everything would be fine.
this traffic situation is EXTREMELY dangerous for cyclists and motorcycles who are lane splitting

i know better when i see a gap in traffic, you have to treat that gap like a stop sign and look both ways

but some poor junior cyclist just got smoked in exactly this situation, lots of cars lined up and hes passing them on the outside, as you do, but he comes up to a gap just like you described and lo and behold went through at full gas, which can be for someone fit on a racing bicycle like probably 35+ kph, and got hit by a car who was crossing through the gap

as far as i know he was found at fault so hes attempting to sue the city for improper signage, but good luck with that, i feel bad but, dude, when ur on two wheels you gotta take triple caution in circumstances like that

part of riding on two wheels is understanding that yeah you can get away with a lot, but you also have to watch the gently caress out for exactly this kind of situation.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 25, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Portland drivers: if you're on Germantown Road and come up on a curve, do not slow down. Drift through.

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008
i text while im driving, i read news articles while im driving, i read SA while im driving, sometimes i post while driving, i light cigarettes in one hand and drive with my knees while swigging my red bull with the other, i have driven over 120,000hrs and i have never been in an accident. i think im the best driver in the world, maybe even the universe. people say its impossible to multitask efficiently or something, but its effortless for me

discarded box fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 25, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think we should make a list of journalists who publish fake news about Tesla and other car companies.

I'm tired of these safety justice warriors trying to ruin cars and innovation.

I just want to drive a car and have fun without being forced to think about some guy getting injured in an assembly line that was probably his own fault

#Drivergate

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

a bone to pick posted:

If there's a bit of a gap between you and the car in front of you, and you see someone trying to turn into the lane, just loving slow down a little so they can get in the lane.

yeah if you're both traveling at speed and they're coming up behind eg some absolute oval office driving at 60 in the middle lane for no reason, obviously let them out

if you're all sat in stop-start traffic miles from a junction and it's one of those wankers weaving in and out of stationary lanes (and making exactly zero progress because you can see them the whole time) then they can go gently caress themselves imho

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

everyone on the internet is a moron

everyone on the road is a moron

everyone is a moron

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I think we should make a list of journalists who publish fake news about Tesla and other car companies.

I'm tired of these safety justice warriors trying to ruin cars and innovation.

I just want to drive a car and have fun without being forced to think about some guy getting injured in an assembly line that was probably his own fault

#Drivergate

every plant that has ever existed has had injuries, that are often the employee's fault.

but still, gently caress Tesla.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

this traffic situation is EXTREMELY dangerous for cyclists and motorcycles who are lane splitting

i know better when i see a gap in traffic, you have to treat that gap like a stop sign and look both ways

but some poor junior cyclist just got smoked in exactly this situation, lots of cars lined up and hes passing them on the outside, as you do, but he comes up to a gap just like you described and lo and behold went through at full gas, which can be for someone fit on a racing bicycle like probably 35+ kph, and got hit by a car who was crossing through the gap

as far as i know he was found at fault so hes attempting to sue the city for improper signage, but good luck with that, i feel bad but, dude, when ur on two wheels you gotta take triple caution in circumstances like that

part of riding on two wheels is understanding that yeah you can get away with a lot, but you also have to watch the gently caress out for exactly this kind of situation.

Many have died at the intersection of papa John's, they become just another topping on the great pizza in the sky.

Stay safe and papa bless, cyclists.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

the horrendous driving in houston can probably be attributed to the wonderfully budgeted texas public education system because I've driven all over the country for years and I've never encountered a greater number of people that:

- are completely unable to understand the concept of merging within the flow of traffic
- routinely drive 20+ mph under the speed limit on interstate highways
- hang out in the fast lane and box in other cars behind them by matching speeds with the car to their right, loving it up for everyone and backing poo poo up for miles
- avoid using turn signals because maybe they think the clicking noise is breaking something in their cars, idk
- have panic attacks at even the suggestion they might have to know how to react at a four-way stop with other cars
- navigate traffic circles like blind, armless toddlers
- take 15 minutes to park their :siren: BIG TEXAS FORD TRUCK :siren: because they have no idea where their vehicle begins or ends
- will drop their speed 30 to 40 mph less at the first sign of rain, even if it's a passing light shower because wheels have no grip and cars are known to flip over and slide the moment you attempt to turn the wheel slightly (they'll also do this in their BIG TEXAS FORD TRUCK despite it being clearly able to handle inclement weather)

you'd think a city with people that are like "houston was a city built around driving" would actually be able to drive but lol nope, i know everyone complains that the worst drivers are in [where person lives] but I will put money down that unless you're near LA or Atlanta, you won't see it get much worse than this dumb city, take every bad driving habit you've seen and just fuckin combine all of them into one mess and you have houston

compared to here, merging on to the jersey turnpike is like exiting the pit stop at a formula one race

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

as far as i know he was found at fault so hes attempting to sue the city for improper signage, but good luck with that,t

Made a stupid mistake, believes others should bear the responsibility. Checks out, cyclist confirmed.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Good soup! posted:

the horrendous driving in houston can probably be attributed to the wonderfully budgeted texas public education system because I've driven all over the country for years and I've never encountered a greater number of people that:

- are completely unable to understand the concept of merging within the flow of traffic
- routinely drive 20+ mph under the speed limit on interstate highways
- hang out in the fast lane and box in other cars behind them by matching speeds with the car to their right, loving it up for everyone and backing poo poo up for miles
- avoid using turn signals because maybe they think the clicking noise is breaking something in their cars, idk
- have panic attacks at even the suggestion they might have to know how to react at a four-way stop with other cars
- navigate traffic circles like blind, armless toddlers
- take 15 minutes to park their :siren: BIG TEXAS FORD TRUCK :siren: because they have no idea where their vehicle begins or ends
- will drop their speed 30 to 40 mph less at the first sign of rain, even if it's a passing light shower because wheels have no grip and cars are known to flip over and slide the moment you attempt to turn the wheel slightly (they'll also do this in their BIG TEXAS FORD TRUCK despite it being clearly able to handle inclement weather)

you'd think a city with people that are like "houston was a city built around driving" would actually be able to drive but lol nope, i know everyone complains that the worst drivers are in [where person lives] but I will put money down that unless you're near LA or Atlanta, you won't see it get much worse than this dumb city, take every bad driving habit you've seen and just fuckin combine all of them into one mess and you have houston

compared to here, merging on to the jersey turnpike is like exiting the pit stop at a formula one race

Atlanta traffic isn't that bad, really. Well the traffic is bad, but the driving is pretty good. Most people have had enough experience sitting on 400/285/85/whatever they they're generally relatively courteous. And people tend to know where they're going and what lane they should be in, so not a ton of weaving/merging poo poo going on either. Of course there are exceptions, millions of people drive in Atlanta every day, but while it's bad it's really not quite as bad as it's made out to be.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
My speedometer been broken for like a year now so I just go normal speed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Someone buy me a car b/c i miss having one tia

Then I'll teach u fuckers how to drive properly

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

when you need to turn left across two lanes of traffic, and someone stops in one of the lanes to “let you go”. there’s still another lane i gotta wait for, and now you’re wasting everyone’s time.

While delivering pizzas 14 years ago, I saw someone get T-boned hard because they got waved through by one driver in one lane but the other lane kept going 45.

Anyone else basically watch one person gently caress over at least 2 other people for life?

Fuuuuck

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

CannonFodder posted:

While delivering pizzas 14 years ago, I saw someone get T-boned hard because they got waved through by one driver in one lane but the other lane kept going 45.

Anyone else basically watch one person gently caress over at least 2 other people for life?

Fuuuuck

This is why I don’t like when people do poo poo like that. Like yeah I get you’re trying to be “nice” and let me go first but I can’t prove you yielded right of way to me if there’s an accident or you’re running an insurance fraud scam.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only person you should be waving ahead of you is a pedestrian on the crosswalk if the street's quiet and you're not in a rush to turn.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
"I'm a good driver" insists all the lovely loving drivers itt.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
im a bad driver and have grievously wounded 2 cars and totaled 1

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
im the guy who drives up on a green even though there are already stopped cars out in the middle of the intersection who blocks an entire lights worth of parallel traffic.

im also the guy who sees an empty merge lane and a bunch of cars lined up next to it and says aloud to myself "oh yeah ill just cut the gently caress in front of all these waiting people by driving to the end of this lane and shoving through everyone else waiting for the light" and crashes in a 2 lane, 25 mph city street.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Smythe posted:

im a bad driver and have grievously wounded 2 cars and totaled 1

*eyes lighting up like king Solomon* ah! HERE is the true good driver. enjoy you r new turbo big dick black murderford

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

CannonFodder posted:

Fuuuuck

I've literally had a truck fly directly over my skull. The guy who rear ended the truck is hosed for life, guy in the truck landed upside down and had a bad concussion/neck problems. Sometimes I can still feel his sunroof in my hair. Trips to Costco will never be the same.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 25, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

Fuuuuck

Lmao at a guy thoughtlessly killing two people by waving his hand like he's Bustor Keaton being mistaken for a roman emperor in the colliseum or something

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
u dont necc. die from a deece tboning. i got t boned twice, once in a bmw 328 (by a pikcup truck) which totaled it and a second time in my scion xa (by a big white van) which survived with aplomb!! good car!!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

numberoneposter posted:

lane splitting is dangerous as gently caress you take your own life in your hands hth.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

why don't schools seem to care whether the people driving buses full of children are any good at driving buses?

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008
i think speed limits are dumb and if the worst drivers out there have been deemed "safe" to drive at the posted limit i can easily drive twice that fast

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

discarded box posted:

i think speed limits are dumb and if the worst drivers out there have been deemed "safe" to drive at the posted limit i can easily drive twice that fast

im just coming off reading ur awesome posts in the incel thread & combined with these gems im thinking ur the best poste ron the forums basically. gj

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not exaggerating when I say that once every month or two I prevent an accident that would have been someone else's fault

Turns out it's really hard to train your brain "just let them hit you next time so you can sue their pants off"

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

discarded box posted:

i text while im driving, i read news articles while im driving, i read SA while im driving, sometimes i post while driving, i light cigarettes in one hand and drive with my knees while swigging my red bull with the other, i have driven over 120,000hrs and i have never been in an accident. i think im the best driver in the world, maybe even the universe. people say its impossible to multitask efficiently or something, but its effortless for me

Interesting. I wonder if you should be an air traffic controller or run NASA's Flight Center or something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Texting on the road could turn an LOL into a great big OMG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
New law ITT: If I brake hard to avoid hitting your stupid texting rear end, your insurance should be required to replace my brakes.

• Locked thread