Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I volunteer at the local food bank and I do NOT light homeless people on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
All I'm going to say is I've seen a lot of Dual Survival and Survivorman so...

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Oscar Wild posted:

I volunteer at the local food bank and I do NOT light homeless people on fire.

Don't you want them to stay warm?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

JK Fresco posted:

Don't you want them to stay warm?

The ones off interstate have their own fires they make and some use propane tanks which is kinda dangerous.

I've handed out chemical hand warmers a couple times but it doesnt get too cold here.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tyson Tomko posted:

All I'm going to say is I've seen a lot of Dual Survival and Survivorman so...

the only thing I learned from dual survival is don't bring a stupid hippy who refuses to wear shoes or kill anything with you in a survival situation.

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

And whats the deal with being homeless anyway?

The way my wife nags about money I sure wish I could be home less

freeze frame
*seinfeld theme plays*

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Oscar Wild posted:

The ones off interstate have their own fires they make and some use propane tanks which is kinda dangerous.

I've handed out chemical hand warmers a couple times but it doesnt get too cold here.

being homeless is pretty dangerous

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pick posted:

thanks

Pick, come save your thread before it gets gassed. Post in it

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/05/nyregion/homeless-men-killed-chinatown.html

4 people experiencing homelessness were brutally murdered. Please don't do this to the people sleeping rough that you may see. Maybe buy them a sandwich or coffee but do Not murder them

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

sweet thursday posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/05/nyregion/homeless-men-killed-chinatown.html

4 people experiencing homelessness were brutally murdered. Please don't do this to the people sleeping rough that you may see. Maybe buy them a sandwich or coffee but do Not murder them

Harder than you think, pleas don’t judge unless you’ve been there

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

Pick, come save your thread before it gets gassed. Post in it

Like the third post was a rape joke and I just get exhausted. You can close it though.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

500 good dogs posted:

being homeless is pretty dangerous

It's not optimal. I feel really bad because a lot of the people have severe mental illness and drug problems and the amount of social aid just can't keep up.

I mean, I'd be happy to pitch in and help and like I said, I do volunteer, but gently caress man, I live in the north west and my neighbors, gates, Bezos, and that other Microsoft fuckhead if taxed at the same rate I am could fund just about all the social welfare we could need.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Pick posted:

Like the third post was a rape joke and I just get exhausted. You can close it though.

No it wasn't you liar

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Mods please punish this reprobate for spreading lies

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Pick posted:

Also, JkFresco keeps posting here aggressively. It's not subtle at all.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

my dog died im sad posted:

Also, JkFresco keeps posting here aggressively. It's not subtle at all.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

Good job on that, you cock sucker.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Just admit you hate poor people and want them to die.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I'm making an educated guess that you hate some other folks too.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Actually I love all of god's creatures

Sorry you have to project such negativity and hate onto others

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

JK Fresco posted:

Actually I love all of god's creatures

Sorry you have to project such negativity and hate onto others

You're a hateful human being.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I give smokes to men and cash to women. Always try to help out a homeless woman though because those few bucks might save her life that night.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

People who think you should just throw cash at homeless people have clearly never lived in an area where you get hit up for cash by homeless people 50 times a day.

You can pick a couple and establish some level of helping relationship with them if you're not terrified of interacting with homeless people. Works fine in Seattle.

Something I think would be cool, but never would happen, is that cities that have a significant homeless population establish a program where anyone who moves there for a new job and is a certain level over the median income be required to both pay a displacement tax and also volunteer some time at a shelter or outreach program every month.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Something you can do that doesn't cost any money is talk to them. The other day I was walking out of taco bell and offered a guy some food, and after 15 minutes or so he said that me treating him like a person was one of the nicest things anyone's done for him. I usually offer homeless people cigarettes if I have them, or bottled water. Tips on cheap places to eat are sometimes appreciated (like "there's a del taco 3 blocks that way, they have bean and cheese burritos for $1.19 each"), and any amount of money means a lot more to them than it does to you. That 5 bucks I'd spend on unnecessary bullshit could buy someone food for the day.

Edit: also without access to decent medical care drug withdrawal can be hazardous or even fatal, whether it's opioids or alcohol or even meth, so by "enabling their addiction" you can also be saving their life. Almost nobody who's homeless wants to be, especially after several months or years, but trying to quit drugs when a) you have nothing to do besides them and b) risking your life/belongings to do so is incredibly hard and shouldn't be used as a reason to not help out people who are struggling.

Help out indigent resources as much as you can, whether that's rehabs, shelters, food pantries, individually, etc.

Overnight Blaze fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 6, 2019

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I paid off my mortgage this year and zeroed out all my debt. It was hard loving work, so I like to celebrate by paying it forward, which is actually a lot of fun when you help people anonymously.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 6, 2019

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

I paid off my mortgage this year and zeroed out all my debt. It was hard loving work, so I like to celebrate by paying it forward, which is actually a lot of fun when you help people anonymously.

I don't know you give me some money

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I used to donate to a local women's shelter and then I moved and I bet the people who live at my old place get a lot of mail from them. sorry folks but now it's your turn

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

Siamang posted:

Something I think would be cool, but never would happen, is that cities that have a significant homeless population establish a program where anyone who moves there for a new job and is a certain level over the median income be required to both pay a displacement tax and also volunteer some time at a shelter or outreach program every month.

gently caress this and gently caress you

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

When a homeless person asks for a dollar I give them whatever biggest bill I find in my wallet, usually a 20 or at least a 5. Never a 100 though because I don't carry those, since I'm not a boomer.

You wouldn't get far in San Francisco.

I gave a fiver to a homeless dude there, and he started trying to negotiate a larger handout.

My god it's loving expensive in SF. But the weather is always nice so I'd be homeless there too I guess.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Siamang posted:

You can pick a couple and establish some level of helping relationship with them if you're not terrified of interacting with homeless people. Works fine in Seattle.

There should be an outreach program that pairs homeless people with a Fortune 500 executive.

It would also be a good source for unlimited buddy comedies.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idk I don't think pairing some of the most vulnerable people with sociopaths is a good idea

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLgJWaDYPc8

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
There’s a Salvation Army office right next to my work. Are they a good volunteer organization? I feel like volunteering for thanksgiving

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Giant_Pupils posted:

There’s a Salvation Army office right next to my work. Are they a good volunteer organization? I feel like volunteering for thanksgiving

Salvation Army is a horrible religious organization that gives donations to anti-LGBT groups and has been involved in anti-LGBT discrimination when working with homeless and volunteers. Look for a local non-profit to volunteer for, like a food bank, veterans organization, children's hospital, etc.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Food banks and pantries pretty much always need volunteers and it's not as high-pressure as some non-profit and volunteer work can be.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I was chilling with a homeless dude friday night and he told me he was a schizo and believed someone broke his hand while he was sleeping. It was really sad.
He also had a 25 lb dumbbell and a 15 lb duct taped together and chained together that he carried orund his neck dragon ball z training style. it was nuts

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

I was chilling with a homeless dude friday night and he told me he was a schizo and believed someone broke his hand while he was sleeping. It was really sad.
He also had a 25 lb dumbbell and a 15 lb duct taped together and chained together that he carried orund his neck dragon ball z training style. it was nuts

It's sad when people ruin their lives chasing the dragon

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Food banks and pantries pretty much always need volunteers and it's not as high-pressure as some non-profit and volunteer work can be.

food banks don't get as much street people as they get poor families. you get the street people too obviously, but they don't have any way of actually preparing meals or storing food so they beg for mcdonalds money or go to soup kitchens instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rutibex posted:

food banks don't get as much street people as they get poor families. you get the street people too obviously, but they don't have any way of actually preparing meals or storing food so they beg for mcdonalds money or go to soup kitchens instead
This is fair, but helping people on the verge of homelessness or temporary homeless - and I've known a lot of poor people who have been temporarily homeless due to house fires or similar - still has value.