Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Play posted:

Evolution only works due to pressure on survival and reproduction. The organisms who successfully survive and reproduce pass down their genes while those who don't, don't. This causes incremental change over time as the successful genes are passed down while the unsuccessful ones aren't.

Meanwhile, in the modern world, that has almost ceased to have any meaning. The vast majority of people survive, and whether you pass down your genes has less to do with how well you survive or how fertile you are and more to do with other unrelated factors. Therefore there are still changes happening but they are increasingly disconnected from actual traits that actually help the species survive.

Humans already would've evolved more slowly than most creatures due to the amount of time it takes us to sexually mature and therefore the wide time differences between generations, but now it goes further than that because survival has little to do with your genes anymore. I don't really have a source, sorry, just my understanding of how evolution works.

I would be very careful with that second paragraph of yours. Not that there's anything wrong with it or that it's incorrect in any way. Just that thoughts like that can bring out the worst in people. Well not really, more like arseholes will use it as an excuse to be arseholes.

That's why we need dicks! To gently caress those arseholes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So even if our evolution is not helpful, wouldn't it still be evolution regardless?

I suppose so, since evolution simply refers to "heritable change" rather than "successful heritable change". But it is definitely not natural selection and therefore is different from the evolution that all the other (wild) plants and animals have. Maybe it could be called genetic drift? I'm not a scientist

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well here's one of the first results from Science Magazine. I'm going to tend to believe these guys.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/05/humans-are-still-evolving-and-we-can-watch-it-happen

quote:

Many people think evolution requires thousands or millions of years, but biologists know it can happen fast. Now, thanks to the genomic revolution, researchers can actually track the population-level genetic shifts that mark evolution in action—and they’re doing this in humans. Two studies presented at the Biology of Genomes meeting here last week show how our genomes have changed over centuries or decades, charting how since Roman times the British have evolved to be taller and fairer, and how just in the last generation the effect of a gene that favors cigarette smoking has dwindled in some groups.

Also, the movie The Predator said some people say autism is the next stage of evolution. I get most of my science from Predator movies. :colbert:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
evolution is also a slow process and you're not going to see evidence of it in humans in your lifetime. we've just gotten so accustomed to the pace of the modern world people tend to get all "if I can't see it it must not be happening"

okay guess I'm wrong but yeah evolution is constant

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
Also evolution is rarely helpful. It's not about killing the lion that is chasing you, it's about running faster than your buddy who's also running away. And maybe also tripping him up. And sleeping with his wife. And sending the sons you know were fathered by him off to war while yours stay safe and happy and gently caress his daughters.

Survival of the individual, not the species.

Your evolutionary advantage isn't a better lion-killing spear, it's a better lie to use when your buddy catches you in bed with his wife.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well here's one of the first results from Science Magazine. I'm going to tend to believe these guys.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/05/humans-are-still-evolving-and-we-can-watch-it-happen

Also, the movie The Predator said some people say autism is the next stage of evolution. I get most of my science from Predator movies. :colbert:

No that's exactly what I was saying, those seem like pretty good examples of 'evolution' that is not related to classic natural selection.

IronClaymore posted:

Also evolution is rarely helpful. It's not about killing the lion that is chasing you, it's about running faster than your buddy who's also running away. And maybe also tripping him up. And sleeping with his wife. And sending the sons you know were fathered by him off to war while yours stay safe and happy and gently caress his daughters.

Survival of the individual, not the species.

Your evolutionary advantage isn't a better lion-killing spear, it's a better lie to use when your buddy catches you in bed with his wife.

Evolution is literally just random genetic changes, most of which are entirely unhelpful, until eventually a helpful one comes along, helps its bearers procreate, and starts getting passed down. Anything related to successful procreation, whether its survival or attractiveness or different strategies to get that poontang, is fair game but its always incremental. It also works the other way, where organisms have evolved to look for certain traits in their sexual partners related to procreation. Most of the things people find attractive in women, for example, are directly related to successful procreation: big booties for child bearing, big titties for child rearing, and being young instead of old for successful birth.

Play fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 9, 2021

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I'd be, on average, fine with the human body but it has all these useless extra features like tonsils. Who the hell likes tonsils? They just sit there and do nothing except sometimes get stones which is disgusting.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That article states that humans change on a genomic level. Even if it has to do with breeding, that's evolution by the exact definition of the word.

Here's the Smithsonian definition.

quote:

The process of evolution
The process of evolution involves a series of natural changes that cause species (populations of different organisms) to arise, adapt to the environment, and become extinct. All species or organisms have originated through the process of biological evolution. In animals that reproduce sexually, including humans, the term species refers to a group whose adult members regularly interbreed, resulting in fertile offspring -- that is, offspring themselves capable of reproducing. Scientists classify each species with a unique, two-part scientific name. In this system, modern humans are classified as Homo sapiens.

Evolution occurs when there is change in the genetic material -- the chemical molecule, DNA -- which is inherited from the parents, and especially in the proportions of different genes in a population. Genes represent the segments of DNA that provide the chemical code for producing proteins. Information contained in the DNA can change by a process known as mutation. The way particular genes are expressed – that is, how they influence the body or behavior of an organism -- can also change. Genes affect how the body and behavior of an organism develop during its life, and this is why genetically inherited characteristics can influence the likelihood of an organism’s survival and reproduction.

Evolution does not change any single individual. Instead, it changes the inherited means of growth and development that typify a population (a group of individuals of the same species living in a particular habitat). Parents pass adaptive genetic changes to their offspring, and ultimately these changes become common throughout a population. As a result, the offspring inherit those genetic characteristics that enhance their chances of survival and ability to give birth, which may work well until the environment changes. Over time, genetic change can alter a species' overall way of life, such as what it eats, how it grows, and where it can live. Human evolution took place as new genetic variations in early ancestor populations favored new abilities to adapt to environmental change and so altered the human way of life.

I think you're just moving the goal posts man. I'm not trying to argue but you literally said:

quote:

Humans have essentially stopped evolving in the traditional sense. So little actual pressure on survival, and whether or not you pass on your genetics is more about personal choice and social situation than having successful genes. There are still changes happening but they aren't really "evolution" as the world's animals and plants have it

Evolution includes natural selection. Natural selection is something that drives evolution. Plants breed and evolve the same way.

edit: I'm probably just misunderstanding what you meant.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 9, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I broke my pinkie toe a year or two ago and it really pissed me off because it's like, why is that even there? So stupid and useless, would be better if all the toes were just, like a flexible flap. Obviously a remnant from when we could actually grab branches and poo poo with our feet. Also had my appendix out, another evolutionary mistake/dead end.

That article states that humans change on a genomic level. Even if it has to do with breeding, that's evolution by the exact definition of the word.

I'm not arguing with you anyways! Just learning myself and exploring the topic in my head, if you want to call that moving the goalposts I find that kind of mean but go ahead.

We're evolving, but it isn't refined in the same way it used to be. While we have a much larger genetic pool to elicit mutations from, which increases the speed of evolution, we also have very different pressures on the ability to procreate than a wild animal would have.

Some pressures remain, such as diseases. So it is likely that resistance to diseases is one of the ways that humans are still evolving that IS actually related to survival. But probably one of the only ones since basically all genetic profiles except ones with serious innate diseases are capable of surviving and procreating. This kind of evolution is also going to have a stronger presence in poorer countries where procreation is more directly related to survival and success, and a lesser presence in countries like the US, where it definitely seems like we are evolving backwards.

A good example of how evolution has changed is yours of humans getting taller and whiter in Great Britain. That has nothing to do with survival, I'd imagine it has to do with cultural preferences relating to attractiveness, although I don't know that for sure. "Cultural evolution" is an actual thing which has been used to describe this new, less survival-based kind of evolution.

Play fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 9, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
What the poster meant is that modern humans in developed countries do not face nearly as much selective pressures as humans historically/prehistorically have.

This means that negative traits like a genetic mutation that means only one lung works or whatever does not have as much as an impact as it would have on the chance that those negative traits get passed on, because you can use technology to compensate for it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Telsa Cola posted:

What the poster meant is that modern humans in developed countries do not face nearly as much selective pressures as humans historically/prehistorically have and this means that negative traits like a genetic mutation that means only one lung works or whatever does not have as much as an impact as it would have on the chance that those negative traits get passed on, because you can use technology to compensate for it.

I can't wait until we can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKCnBRSd2ns

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Play posted:

I suppose so, since evolution simply refers to "heritable change" rather than "successful heritable change". But it is definitely not natural selection and therefore is different from the evolution that all the other (wild) plants and animals have. Maybe it could be called genetic drift? I'm not a scientist

I think, because of our huge population size and lack of strong selection pressures, we should be accumulating a lot of genetic diversity due to genetic drift, which is a good thing because if most the species started dying for some reason and we needed to evolve fast, evolution would have more variety to work with.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Ventral EggSac posted:

That's half a keg of whale semen

Put it with the others.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Time isn't kind to those who don't respect it
Kind isn't a word I'd use for man
If we're made in His image and He couldn't perfect it, what the hell makes any of us think we can?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
This isn’t the misunderstanding evolution thread. Evolution never stops. Punctuated equilibria means things reach a stable state until conditions change.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Anyway, the human retina is a big fuckup, it’s literally installed backwards. The light receptors are behind a layer of blood vessels and nerves, and light needs to pass through that layer first. There’s even a hole in the middle of your retina for your optic nerve to go through, and your brain has to fake some data in that region so that you don’t notice it.

If your retina was flipped you’d have much sharper vision

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My body is poo poo because it's mine.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Management posted:

Anyway, the human retina is a big fuckup, it’s literally installed backwards. The light receptors are behind a layer of blood vessels and nerves, and light needs to pass through that layer first. There’s even a hole in the middle of your retina for your optic nerve to go through, and your brain has to fake some data in that region so that you don’t notice it.

Could I run around and find mice in a field if flipped that around?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My body is poo poo because it's mine.

This is my body. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My body is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

The Management posted:

Ooh, ever done the thing where it reveals your optical blind-spot? It's the most surreal thing! It's like right there! Right where you see, but you can't see it! Your brain just makes it up.

It's a really simple test, pretty sure you can google it.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Telsa Cola posted:

Theres a book series explicitly about this and also that our screaming murder monkey brains cause the evil psionic squid aliens to go catatonic if they try to gently caress with us.

That is Alan Dean Foster's The Damned Trilogy, and while I greatly enjoyed it when young I was kinda meh for the re-read. It's an interesting premise, the alliance of Good Aliens can't do violence for poo poo, but then they find us, and wow are we as a species just chomping at the bit to kill the Bad Aliens.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

IronClaymore posted:

Ooh, ever done the thing where it reveals your optical blind-spot? It's the most surreal thing! It's like right there! Right where you see, but you can't see it! Your brain just makes it up.

It's a really simple test, pretty sure you can google it.

I’ve done that and the thing where you can flip everything you see upside down because that’s the way it actually sees things.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Management posted:

This is by design, to slow us down a bit. Think of the damage multiplier we would get if our eyes worked better.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Yeah ,my stupid body. With my huge lats that if I flex them I could achieve liftoff, my massive biceps and triceps that explode sleeves when I bend my arms in certain ways. My gargantuan sculpted glutes that provide thrusting power unparalleled, and my California redwood legs that provide locomotion to this massive muscle behemoth.

In Minecraft.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

related: has anyone tried looking in a mirror in dim light but not letting your eyes focus? your brain kind of gives up processing your face and its freaky

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I don’t like looking into mirrors. What exactly happens?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

your brain like stops processing your face as being your own face, hard to articulate

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Revins posted:

evolution is also a slow process and you're not going to see evidence of it in humans in your lifetime. we've just gotten so accustomed to the pace of the modern world people tend to get all "if I can't see it it must not be happening"

okay guess I'm wrong but yeah evolution is constant

I admit there are some stupid and weird looking people around, but if evolution was true, wouldn't there be some even more dumber and goofy people walking around?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

like inbreeding causes?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Imagine the genius that put the brain inside a really strong container to protect it, but didn't bother with any shock absorption so it just bounces around inside said container after an impact :lol:

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Get this, guys: the same tube you breathe through is the same tube you drink through. Even the mightiest of ancient Pharaohs when drinking their diet coke have started coughing and sputtering and been like "stupid loving lungs, it wasn't your turn yet!"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

bromplicated posted:

Get this, guys: the same tube you breathe through is the same tube you drink through. Even the mightiest of ancient Pharaohs when drinking their diet coke have started coughing and sputtering and been like "stupid loving lungs, it wasn't your turn yet!"

eat and drink through your bhole and this won't happen

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
It's a bleeding stinking rotting prison for the soul and the sentence is all your life.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

Imagine the genius that put the brain inside a really strong container to protect it, but didn't bother with any shock absorption so it just bounces around inside said container after an impact :lol:

It's like early cars with no seatbelts

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if bodies are so bad how come i get a pleasurable boner whenever i see one, answer me that

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Gentle Autist posted:

if bodies are so bad how come i get a pleasurable boner whenever i see one, answer me that

boners are bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Your boner isn’t pleasurable, your dumb body produces serotonin and testosterone when your visual cortex identifies an object as a body. It doesn’t have to be a real body, it can just be a 2d video on a screen, a still photograph, a computer rendering, a drawing, or many other things. Your boner is a lie.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

The Management posted:

Your boner is a lie.

Now you’ve gone too far.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gentle Autist posted:

Any body???

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The Management posted:

Your boner isn’t pleasurable, your dumb body produces serotonin and testosterone when your visual cortex identifies an object as a body. It doesn’t have to be a real body, it can just be a 2d video on a screen, a still photograph, a computer rendering, a drawing, or many other things. Your boner is a lie.

yeah it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Revins posted:

your brain like stops processing your face as being your own face, hard to articulate

Confirmed. My face is wierd/sucks