Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

hemale in pain posted:

Walking is a nice hobby op. Don't bother with the geocache stuff! just go get a navigation app like gaia and download a chill hiking route or plot your own.

Go do a longer hike every week till you start doing overnighters and then you can go down the enedlessy expensive ultralight gear buying route.

It may also be fun to pick up backpacking if you get into regular hiking. It's nice to be away from everyone and everything for a little bit, sometimes. Laying in a tent next to a stream after a long hike with the only sound being the rustling of the leaves in the wind can be very soothing after a tough work week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Trail running is fun as hell, OP. You also get a nicer body and the ability to walk up a flight of stairs without passing out.

Woodworking is also fun as hell and loud as gently caress and it makes you look all manly. You can also build your own furniture which it seems like romantic partners really like that for some reason.

Also, volunteering for a local philanthropist group to try and make your city suck less is p enjoyable and it also makes your city suck a little less.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Woodworking is also fun as hell and loud as gently caress and it makes you look all manly. You can also build your own furniture which it seems like romantic partners really like that for some reason.

hmm... another hobby i don't need, perhaps?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hi all I am heartened to see the jokes and real suggestions and the 3000 word mega post I’ve just been busy with work but I will get back with some impressions thank you all

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

buglord posted:

Hi all I am heartened to see the jokes and real suggestions and the 3000 word mega post I’ve just been busy with work but I will get back with some impressions thank you all

Sounds like you're too busy for hobbys op.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
That mega post is really good. OP grow plants, hydroponics/gardening, cook them or bake them and get into ceramics to make all that cool dinnerware. Its all cheap especially if you can find a place to fire your ceramics.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Catastrophe posted:

It may also be fun to pick up backpacking if you get into regular hiking. It's nice to be away from everyone and everything for a little bit, sometimes. Laying in a tent next to a stream after a long hike with the only sound being the rustling of the leaves in the wind can be very soothing after a tough work week.
backpacking rules. spent the last year getting into it and collecting gear/clothing and now ive got a pretty great setup. you get to see some cool poo poo in the actual middle of nowhere. im super lucky to have access to amazing trails that arnt very busy either even in the summer as long as i go hiking mid week. gonna do an overnighter soon with my buddy, its in a trail network that doesnt allow camping but scoped it out last year and theres this little place that would be perfect to set up a tent and cook some food and drink a bunch of beers.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

numberoneposter posted:

backpacking rules. spent the last year getting into it and collecting gear/clothing and now ive got a pretty great setup. you get to see some cool poo poo in the actual middle of nowhere. im super lucky to have access to amazing trails that arnt very busy either even in the summer as long as i go hiking mid week. gonna do an overnighter soon with my buddy, its in a trail network that doesnt allow camping but scoped it out last year and theres this little place that would be perfect to set up a tent and cook some food and drink a bunch of beers.

Backpacking is okay but after you trail run for a year or two you're ready to do ultra-light camping runs which is backpacking to the next level. Also an excuse to invest in powdered alcohol.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

ChubbyChecker posted:

put a 'kendo club' sign before your house and when the first kendoist appears rob him at gun point

what's he gonna do? hit you with a stick?

this is a great idea EXCEPT I LIVE IN A CONDO :mad:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Drawing is pretty fun, you don’t have to be good, in fact being good at drawing means you’re lovely at plagiarizing the world around you so just strive to be bad

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Knot My President! posted:

Drawing is pretty fun, you don’t have to be good, in fact being good at drawing means you’re lovely at plagiarizing the world around you so just strive to be bad

yeah

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mne nravitsya posted:

Extreme Ironing is a thing. Look it up. It may be exactly what you are looking for

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I like hobbies but I'm always too depressed to do them. I haven't been doing much lately. I liked doing MMA a few years ago but I haven't been back since 2020 when covid hit. It's really hard though and I don't like challenges. I was a lot more fit though doing kickboxing and BJJ. I need to find the motivation to get into something soon. I bought a badass telescope last year and it's been sitting on my floor ever since. Now it's too cold to take it out. I have a hobby table set up across the room from me that I have a bunch of stuff on that I haven't looked at yet. Some scale models, rockets, and an arduino kit. I should do something with that sometime. Maybe make a rocket soon.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

welcome to your new hobby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-iqRF6rrh0

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Here's two rockets I built and went to a park and shot off with my nephew in 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RENur16URW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZzOObjPXNM

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Here's two rockets I built and went to a park and shot off with my nephew in 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RENur16URW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZzOObjPXNM

:nice:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Schweinhund posted:

learn an instrument

If you hate your neighbors, I suggest buying drums and just playing as fast and off-time as you can for a minimum of twelve hours every day. DO NOT TAKE LESSONS, OR LISTEN TO CRITICISM.
Bonus points if you live in an apartment.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Ocean Book posted:

i bought a harp. it kicks rear end, funnest instrument ive ever played by far.

Harps are fun! One of my friends has one. She is good at it. I am not.

I always thought accordions, melodicas, kazoos, xylophones, and old electric organs were fun to play, but your experience may vary.

I played drums in bands for decades, but had to stop when I moved back to the Bay Area because there is no cheap place to practice, and there are very few clubs left due to how loving expensive real estate is. It is sad and lame. Now I just noodle on my bass and play other people's instruments when I visit them in other states.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hi op just checking in. Did you pick a hobby yet? If not please remember my suggestion of international gently caress boy

If you just want to get your feet wet you could try the lesser intra national gently caress boy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's far more than mere hobby, a whole raison d'etre

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Try blacksmithing! You can build a forge using the JABOD( just a box of dirt) method. With some charcoal from your local grocery store plus a few simple tools and an improvised anvil you can slowly drive your neighbors to insanity!

titties
May 10, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's far more than mere hobby, a whole raison d'etre

It can be two things

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

I like hobbies but I'm always too depressed to do them. I haven't been doing much lately. I liked doing MMA a few years ago but I haven't been back since 2020 when covid hit. It's really hard though and I don't like challenges. I was a lot more fit though doing kickboxing and BJJ. I need to find the motivation to get into something soon. I bought a badass telescope last year and it's been sitting on my floor ever since. Now it's too cold to take it out. I have a hobby table set up across the room from me that I have a bunch of stuff on that I haven't looked at yet. Some scale models, rockets, and an arduino kit. I should do something with that sometime. Maybe make a rocket soon.

Getting a nice telescope i never used was one of the most psychologically damaging gifts I ever received. I finally tossed it last year.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i keep reading this thread as "Finding hobbits in 2022 (help)"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

numberoneposter posted:

i keep reading this thread as "Finding hobbits in 2022 (help)"

Try the woods, Bozo. :rolleyes:

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

I bought a badass telescope last year and it's been sitting on my floor ever since. Now it's too cold to take it out.

IDK where you are but winter is the good time for telescopes usually. The air is calmer and dark comes early. You've just got to wrap up and give the telescope some time to get down to ambient temperature.
Honestly the best things to look at are incredibly spectacular, but you can see everything really worth seeing in a handful of sessions. Anyone with an unused telescope just hit up a top 20 list and then give it away, you're only missing some deeply nerdy stuff.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 7, 2022

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Smugworth posted:

To add on to this, I create dioramas of what I imagine my death will be like. The funeral, the hospital, my home and family going on without me. It's kind of fun getting all the little details and hiding little easter eggs like a 'pulled plug" in the hospital or a helium mask prototype in the attic.

I'll post some pics when I get home

c'mon bro don't hold out

titties
May 10, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Xaintrailles posted:

IDK where you are but winter is the good time for telescopes usually. The air is calmer and dark comes early. You've just got to wrap up and give the telescope some time to get down to ambient temperature.
Honestly the best things to look at are incredibly spectacular, but you can see everything really worth seeing in a handful of sessions. Anyone with an unused telescope just hit up a top 20 list and then give it away, you're only missing some deeply nerdy stuff.

winter is indeed best especially where i am, because of the propensity for the moisture to fall out of the air at night for one, but because there are a ton of amazing objects to view that aren't around in the warmer months, like orions sword

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Serious answer: we are in a dark time. Become a psychonaut. Transcend reality.

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

I just got into astronomy, you can go whole hog and spend 10k or you can start with a few hundo. It's not super social right now tho.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
3D modeling/3D printing is fun and cool but like have some projects in mind/that fulfill a purpose to create and print so that you're not just filling up your place with random junk off thingiverse that sits on a shelf collecting dust like my roommate does with his.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

chainchompz posted:

3D modeling/3D printing is fun and cool but like have some projects in mind/that fulfill a purpose to create and print so that you're not just filling up your place with random junk off thingiverse that sits on a shelf collecting dust like my roommate does with his.

my feelings as well, i don't consider it a hobby as i alluded to in my mega post. it's a tool, i use it for terrain making and printing miniatures for wargaming

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Try balloon twisting, OP. For way less than a hundred dollars you can order a hand pump and long balloons online then hit up YouTube to learn a great skill

For a clown to have

At the circus

It's not hard to get started and it doesn't take long to fill your home with balloon sculptures. Balloon doggies. Balloon flowers. Balloon swords. Balloon... crabs? There are so many choices out there. All you need to do is reach out and grab them. And twist them. And tie them off. It's great.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Zeinin posted:

I just got into astronomy, you can go whole hog and spend 10k or you can start with a few hundo. It's not super social right now tho.

Last year I bought two used telescopes - Sky-Watcher 10" dobsonian classic and a Celestron 8se. And then I went whole hog and snagged the last loving new Orion xx16g dob. Then there's the oddles of accessories, especially eyepieces which you can't just have one, but can easily set you back if you go after Tele Vue eyepieces.

Now the supply market is shattered while demand is strong. Prices for most gear is just going up and up while most vendors have next to nothing in stock.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Liquid Chicken posted:

Last year I bought two used telescopes - Sky-Watcher 10" dobsonian classic and a Celestron 8se. And then I went whole hog and snagged the last loving new Orion xx16g dob. Then there's the oddles of accessories, especially eyepieces which you can't just have one, but can easily set you back if you go after Tele Vue eyepieces.

Now the supply market is shattered while demand is strong. Prices for most gear is just going up and up while most vendors have next to nothing in stock.

arbitrage is not a hobby! drat!

i get depressed reading about how everything is converted into "poo poo to buy". anything you want to find out about online is filtered into a poo poo to buy system. hell even seeing americans in threads about covid, a lot of discussion is about like which brands of mask to buy. like are you coming to this wanting to protect yourself or did you just want to spend a thousand bucks for retail therapy. n99s cost like 4 dolla.

the same is true for when i research a potential hobby online. like if you wanted to get into model making or trains or dioramas or whatever, and all you can do to see if you'd like it is look online, you'll end up with this insanely huge shopping list so you make make stuff like that aussie youtube guy who makes the photorealistic models or whatever, and you'll need a dedicated workshop space for it and so on. but if you are able to expose yourself to a hobby any other way, like if there's a model train club near you or something that you can just check out in person, help on a joint project or whatever, you not only get a way better idea of if it's for you, you didn't spend hundreds or thousands of bucks in consumer frenzy to learn that about yourself.

i was totally intimidated by having outdoor space to garden, and all i could read was about all the tools and poo poo i didn't own, then i joined a group in my neighborhood that plants in public areas and learned a lot and didn't buy poo poo. we guerilla'd seeds, foraged hazelnuts, ate what we grew and spent almost nothing. i once found a bag of mulch left on the sidewalk outside somebody's fancy house and wheeled it home in a stroller to use in our group's planter box.

i feel the urge to just collect as much as anyone, and do sometimes, but i try to keep perspective about how to get into a new hobby. i don't want to just be doing research for purchases, i want to get to know what it is you actually DO in the hobby. it's a little harder but actually tells you if you're gonna end up with a garage full of poo poo you bought and never used.

that's my advice. no arbitrage, no beginners purchases and then next level up purchases. find someone who can share the hobby with you a bit first if it's at all possible.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i generally build all my equipment but that's onyl after like 15 years of developing new hobbies and now i have a big shop full of tools and materials and i'm also a mechanical engineer so i have cad and stuff so maybe not the best example

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I got into scale modeling because my gf started knitting while we watched TV, and I wanted something I could do as well. It turns out it's not an ideal sitting on the couch activity, but it's turned into a reasonably enjoyable way to relax. You must enjoy fiddly detail work. You don't have to love Nazis, but it sure seems to be an integral part of the hobby for some folks.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i generally build all my equipment but that's onyl after like 15 years of developing new hobbies and now i have a big shop full of tools and materials and i'm also a mechanical engineer so i have cad and stuff so maybe not the best example

well take the gardening as an example instead. if you already have stuff, great, no barrier to just starting whatever hobby fits the stuff, im just saying it makes sense to view hobbies as activities rather than shopping lists and minimize the acquisition part till you're more familiar and know what you want to focus on etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

learn to fire a beam… practice meditating and charging up until you can fire a deadly beam