Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

VoodooXT posted:

Okay, I laughed.

Anyway, I was meaning more anyone have particular recommendations for specific army deals. That Ilona's Black Wolf Templars is tempting but it might be out of my price range; I was thinking more along the lines of getting two of the $175 army deals like Baldr's Armoured Battalion and the Bloodmire Legion or something. Either those two (or a different combo) or maybe just the BWT.

Bloodmire legion is definitely the way to go - it's a £150 army set that they're selling for £100 still. Even at £100 it's a fantastic deal and is a full size army even without characters.

I wouldn't recommend Baldrs Armoured Battalion; it was released before the Kickstarter models were so doesnt include Brock Riders. This one is much better: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/army-deals/product/thorgersons-storm-of-steel-135-figures.html

Both of them need characters but just use regular dudes for characters. As long as it's clear what they are then you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Daedleh posted:

Bloodmire legion is definitely the way to go - it's a £150 army set that they're selling for £100 still. Even at £100 it's a fantastic deal and is a full size army even without characters.

I wouldn't recommend Baldrs Armoured Battalion; it was released before the Kickstarter models were so doesnt include Brock Riders. This one is much better: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/army-deals/product/thorgersons-storm-of-steel-135-figures.html

Both of them need characters but just use regular dudes for characters. As long as it's clear what they are then you'll be fine.

Thanks for the info, ended up getting the Bloodmire Legion and Thorgerson's Storm of Steel.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nice! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I'm still working my way through Bloodmire Legion, and it's probably the best value in fantasy wargaming period.

I wound up biting on the Abyssal Dwarf box, which includes the new units since the old boxed set. I considered getting just the halfbreeds and gargoyles - but for :10bux: more why not get three extra units? I'm going to have so very many evil Dwarfs...

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Daedleh posted:

No sorry, the K&L and Basilean Legacy supplements are out of print at the moment. Mantic are looking into doing a reprint of a combined book, but the print run has run out and at the current rate of sale they'd be unlikely to sell a 2nd print run of either before the next edition of KoW where they might become invalid.

The PDFs are up on the Wargame Vault: http://www.wargamevault.com/browse.php?manufacturers_id=4117

K&L is $8.55 and Basilean Legacy is $4.99. Sucks that there aren't any physical copies available (except for 2nd hand) but they're kind of in limbo until something can be worked out that's financially viable for Mantic. Ronnie is keen on printing a Kings of War 1.5 edition with all the combined supplements so it is likely to happen, but I don't think it'll happen before the end of the year.

My honest review is that you're not missing out on a whole lot with the Kings & Legends supplement. Basilean Legacy is awesome though.

Thanks for that. It looks like I was in fact looking for Basilean Legacy because I wanted the magic stuff, I must have gotten them confused. I'll probably hold off on ordering anything and hopefully just get the 1.5 sometime in the far future. I have plenty to keep me busy now that I am drowning in a sea of deadzone.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Has anyone heard of anything similar to Privateer's Press Gangers for Mantic games?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

SquadronROE posted:

Has anyone heard of anything similar to Privateer's Press Gangers for Mantic games?

I kind of want to be this

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Yeah Daedleh is one as far as I know. You can sign up to become one too.

http://www.manticgames.com/trade/pathfinder-demo-team.html

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

They're called pathfinders, they wear blue polos and Daedleh is one

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Ah, UK only. That gives me enough time to get some more armies up and painted.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Yep I r pathfinder.

We're definitely looking for non-UK PFs now so that page needs updating. We're actually pretty full for the UK and have good coverage for most of the country.

Application process should be the same and I'm happy to answer any questions you have :-)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Daedleh posted:

Yep I r pathfinder.

We're definitely looking for non-UK PFs now so that page needs updating. We're actually pretty full for the UK and have good coverage for most of the country.

Application process should be the same and I'm happy to answer any questions you have :-)

How often do you gotta do stuff? I will probably be able to start doing this at the beginning of 2015. I'll probably need that long to paint up my poo poo anyway though.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I'd be interested in Pathfindering, but I'm not sure how useful it'd be where I live now--I'm in a1k person town in Northwest Ohio, though I suppose I could drive the hour or so to Toledo to do stuff there, too.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Daedleh posted:

Yep I r pathfinder.

Ah, very cool then. I'm in a fairly similar boat: I love the system of Deadzone and Mantic models but am looking forward to expanding my armies once I get some more time/money to buy more armies, paint them and play more games. I'm in a fairly populous area (700k people or so, with a large FLGS and a couple Hobby Shops that people play at).

What's the time commitment like? App process?

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I don't mean to step on your toes Daedleh, I just remembered they sent out a blog announcement not too long ago which gives more info on sigining up to be a pathfinder.

http://manticblog.com/category/pathfinders/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Looks like I gotta get busy painting up the rest of my sets

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

App process is here: http://manticblog.com/category/pathfinders/ (cheers TarDolphinShark). I'd been involved with Mantic through various events already and when I asked about becoming a pathfinder the response was "what took you so long?" they do want to know your gaming background and experience and some basic info but nothing too strenuous.

They'd already seen me in action demoing since I'd been involved in the community already but I believe that they do want to see you demo first. They might not hold you to it if you're from the colonies because yknow, distance.

In terms of time commitment it's as little or as much as you want. I've barely done anything this year because I've been busy with other projects (like commission painting for them). If you're fairly inactive and someone comes along who can cover your general area more often then you might be asked to step aside but there's certainly no absolute time commitment.

The way it generally works is that Mantic will put out a request in the FB group saying "such and such store in so and so place are wanting some demos - who can do it?" And you just answer if you can. Same thing goes for conventions. You're encouraged to go out to your local shops and conventions and ask to put on demos, but again there's no absolute commitment.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Speaking of conventions, I will be at Historicon in Fredericksburg VA and I will be bringing my copy of Deadzone and my 6mm KoW stuff if anyone wants to try them out. I am just bringing the two starter factions from DZ since I can safely carry them in the box with the terrain and rules and mat etc. Sorry for you Orc and Reb fans. I'll have an orc force and my buddy will have an undead force if you want to give KoW a go at a smaller scale.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Grokagamok's Vanguard Ogre army deal is tempting, I have a dozen Ogre warriors from crazy boxes already

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

:drat:

Got stat cards for them too

Now someone make them show off the Stuntbot :neckbeard:

You rang?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That is beautiful.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I must have that

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm already getting two :dance:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Really happy I got one of those gob walkers and 4 striders coming next wave now. That 2 for 1 strider deal they ended up doing is probably a steal to what it'll be retail. Do we have the rules for how "Vehicle (x)" works?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Really happy I got one of those gob walkers and 4 striders coming next wave now. That 2 for 1 strider deal they ended up doing is probably a steal to what it'll be retail. Do we have the rules for how "Vehicle (x)" works?

Apparently not. Even though we got the Guntrack with that rule in wave 1, I don't see a description of it in the pdf

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I need that. Oh yes, I need that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Why didn't I get this loving kickstarter

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

They've done a really good job characterising the orx as third world mercenaries and the rebs as angry alien students/faculty with flags and guns

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I like the way the Orx have been characterised, I really dig the whole professional soldier of fortune bit and the throwbacks to old Earth militaries they studied in the Corporation schools. And the goblins aren't a stomped on underclass of menial servants and cannon fodder, but instead a small race highly respected for their skill with guns and techology that require dexterity and technological ability. Makes a change from scrap armour, boss poles and mostly mindless brutality. Which is also cool, but the difference was needed.

signalnoise posted:

Why didn't I get this loving kickstarter

http://manticblog.com/2014/07/04/and-to-celebrate-our-fans/

Just came in the newsletter, a small giveaway

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 4, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I like the way the Orx have been characterised, I really dig the whole professional soldier of fortune bit and the throwbacks to old Earth militaries they studied in the Corporation schools. And the goblins aren't a stomped on underclass of menial servants and cannon fodder, but instead a small race highly respected for their skill with guns and techology that require dexterity and technological ability. Makes a change from scrap armour, boss poles and mostly mindless brutality. Which is also cool, but the difference was needed.

http://manticblog.com/2014/07/04/and-to-celebrate-our-fans/

Just came in the newsletter, a small giveaway

Yeah, did that this morning. I just want cheaper robuts

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

thiswayliesmadness posted:

It's in the Nexus Psi book. Basically they have X wounds, the Construct special rule, and can't climb sheer faces so they need ramps to elevate themselves.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This showed up in my inbox - Abyssals? (Hopefully with a reworked list!)

I almost hope not because I just inventoried my unpainted stuff and ... sheesh.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

moths posted:

This showed up in my inbox - Abyssals? (Hopefully with a reworked list!)

I almost hope not because I just inventoried my unpainted stuff and ... sheesh.

Near guaranteed it'll be the next kickstarter, the dungeon crawler board game / new dwarf king's hold

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

enri posted:

Near guaranteed it'll be the next kickstarter, the dungeon crawler board game / new dwarf king's hold

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

:dance:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oops, yeah they even said there was an ABANDON HOPE packet in the game box.

:dance:!

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I haven't played any minatures-based games in about 15 years.

Deadzone reminds me a lot of Necromunda, is that a fair assessment?

Tell my why I want it!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BigHandsVince posted:

Tell my why I want it!

The rules are clear, there's no measuring, there's cool terrain that has gameplay meaning, and the minis are relatively cheap

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

BigHandsVince posted:

Tell my why I want it!

Cinematic as gently caress.

My goblin sniper spent 2 turns climbing a tower to get into the ideal sniping position. Lines up and absolutely utterly obliterates the enemy commander. The plague responded by sending up 3 dudes to wreck his poo poo up. The goblin tried to run away but died from jumping off the top of the tower rather than getting ripped to shreds by the plague.

In our next game he tries to get into his sniping spot again, only this time the plague have attended a big "shoot this fucker" seminar before the engagement. A plague mutant carrying a grenade launcher lines up and *phlomp* hits the tower with the grenade. It's not the grenade which kills the goblin, it's the explosion throwing him out of the tower and then plummeting 3 stories that kills him.

Also, dogs with motherfucking chainsaw teeth:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BigHandsVince posted:

Tell my why I want it!

It's kinda like Necromunda but, with the exception of the models, swings a lot closer to a pick up and play board game. If you thought Necromunda got too bogged down in the rules it will be perfect for you, if you thought it had the perfect depth I'd play a few games first or at least watch some game play vids on youtube. The game is fun but I think the sampling rules need a little more depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

If I get back into gaming, it would be super casual, so it sounds like what I'm after.

Those chainsaw dogs are awesome, is the quality of the plastic minatures pretty good?