Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just noticed this was in Beta now, excited. I was an early bird backer at the $40 level so get ready to eat shells, dezgras!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fuzz posted:

Just noticed this was in Beta now, excited. I was an early bird backer at the $40 level so get ready to eat shells, dezgras!

still probably... six months? from release, but it's looking very good imo

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

sebmojo posted:

still probably... six months? from release, but it's looking very good imo

Want my multiplayer update! It's gonna be crazy good times.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So a developer from Blizzard who's been playing the Beta posted an analysis of the games performance on the official forums. It's highly technically, and lengthy, but it's an interesting read.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9061

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

do any of you nerds stream this

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Phrosphor is doing a "campaign", using the Beta skirmish mode.

https://youtu.be/S9EjxKydDWM

Though he hasn't posted an update in a while. It's the most interesting bit of videos to come out of this so far. There's really not enough there to make streaming terribly interesting right now.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Q_res posted:

So a developer from Blizzard who's been playing the Beta posted an analysis of the games performance on the official forums. It's highly technically, and lengthy, but it's an interesting read.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9061

That's a neat read, I had no idea that kind of analysis was possible.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Q_res posted:

Phrosphor is doing a "campaign", using the Beta skirmish mode.

https://youtu.be/S9EjxKydDWM

Though he hasn't posted an update in a while. It's the most interesting bit of videos to come out of this so far. There's really not enough there to make streaming terribly interesting right now.

Really? I figured since we were in beta the game was basically done and there was plenty of content and stuff. Kinda disappointing

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The Beta is a true Beta, not Early Access labelled as a Beta (which a lot of companies do these days). They're using it to test aspects of the game, but it's limited in scope so they can get the kind of information they're looking for specifically. It's only a limited selection of Mechs and a barebones single-player Skirmish mode. Even the AI is limited (it's literally not capable of using some of the pilot skills, for instance) and not particularly challenging unless you give it a big advantage in terms of Mechs and Pilots. There will be an update that adds multiplayer, but they've indicated they have no plans to add any content during Beta.

edit: There's also no ETA on when the multiplayer patch will hit right now. Once it's patched in we're due for at least another month of Beta per HBS.

Honestly, in its current state that's not a lot of reason to play it too much.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 16, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

vorebane posted:

That's a neat read, I had no idea that kind of analysis was possible.

Extremely agreed

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Q_res posted:

The Beta is a true Beta, not Early Access labelled as a Beta (which a lot of companies do these days). They're using it to test aspects of the game, but it's limited in scope so they can get the kind of information they're looking for specifically. It's only a limited selection of Mechs and a barebones single-player Skirmish mode. Even the AI is limited (it's literally not capable of using some of the pilot skills, for instance) and not particularly challenging unless you give it a big advantage in terms of Mechs and Pilots. There will be an update that adds multiplayer, but they've indicated they have no plans to add any content during Beta.

edit: There's also no ETA on when the multiplayer patch will hit right now. Once it's patched in we're due for at least another month of Beta per HBS.

Honestly, in its current state that's not a lot of reason to play it too much.

Unlike Blizzard, who released Necromancers without making any of the changes requested in Beta. Which in turn allowed some reaaaaaaaaaally unacceptable exploits.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They're so hilariously op right now it's great.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A new DLC class in any game being OP isn't really unusual. It seems to happen a lot in any game where you pay for additional characters. Make the character look really amazingly good to encourage impulse buys when its new, then after a few weeks balance them.

At least D3 isn't PVP oriented, so it's less of an issue than in other games.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I still remember the Riot cycle of "buff old notorious character, release new $15 skin, wait two weeks, nerf character".

Also for some reason they never just roll back a buff if it turns out to push the character over the top - they always leave it in place and then find something else to tone down, which was prone to some awkward end results.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaodai posted:

A new DLC class in any game being OP isn't really unusual. It seems to happen a lot in any game where you pay for additional characters. Make the character look really amazingly good to encourage impulse buys when its new, then after a few weeks balance them.

At least D3 isn't PVP oriented, so it's less of an issue than in other games.

Hell, Games Workshop built an entire business model around that. :v:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Perestroika posted:

Hell, Games Workshop built an entire business model around that. :v:

This actually came up the other day with an old buddy that ran the game shop back home. He wants to buy my 20 year old lizardman army. Which sent me looking at new models because I was too drunk to remember the word "stegadon". The new models are really fancy compared to what I built 20 years ago.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

veedubfreak posted:

This actually came up the other day with an old buddy that ran the game shop back home. He wants to buy my 20 year old lizardman army. Which sent me looking at new models because I was too drunk to remember the word "stegadon". The new models are really fancy compared to what I built 20 years ago.

Yeah, the models being fancy just means they're making cool models. The rules being overpowered as hell is trying to break the game to force purchases.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, the models being fancy just means they're making cool models. The rules being overpowered as hell is trying to break the game to force purchases.

He said they went full retard with Warhammer Fantasy. But 40k is still cool.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Voyager I posted:

I still remember the Riot cycle of "buff old notorious character, release new $15 skin, wait two weeks, nerf character".

Also for some reason they never just roll back a buff if it turns out to push the character over the top - they always leave it in place and then find something else to tone down, which was prone to some awkward end results.

They've gotten better about this recently. They actually do roll back buffs (or at least tone them down) occasionally, though they tend to do it in pieces so it takes them three rounds of nerfs to get the champion back to normal.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The "Release Something OP to push people to buy it, then nerf" is really common these days, I feel. It happened in MWO a bit with the new mech packs, it still happens in WoT, happens in War Thunder with tanks and planes, and I am sure it happens other places.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

He said they went full retard with Warhammer Fantasy. But 40k is still cool.

Yeah, Fantasy got stuffed in a dumpster fire.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, Fantasy got stuffed in a dumpster fire.

But everybody loves Sigmarines!

The one good thing that came out of them blowing up Warhammer Fantasy is that it means they didn't care about Old Warhammer Fantasy so we got Total Warhammer out of it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

On the plus side it looks like Sigmarines have finally given GW the wakeup call it needed.

Joke's on me though, I like Guard but not Cadians. Good luck for me ever getting the models I actually want. (Actually I just run RPs and make all the guard units I want, and it works great).

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
How much does this game suck?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
A negative amount.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
This game only sucks if you got your rear end kicked at Ogre Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics. Or even Advanced Wars.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KyloWinter posted:

How much does this game suck?

It sucks a whole bunch only it's in the BJ sense.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Stolen from the mwo thread.

Ruh roh

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Stolen from the mwo thread.

Ruh roh

Oh poo poo.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's just HG looking for a handout.

I bet they saw the Marauder in the HBS beta and went, ":20bux:".

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Harmony Gold! :argh: What do they even have to complain about, I thought the MWO reseen are different enough that they decided to stick to their core competency of making sure no one ever hears or watches Robotech.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

vorebane posted:

Harmony Gold! :argh: What do they even have to complain about, I thought the MWO reseen are different enough that they decided to stick to their core competency of making sure no one ever hears or watches Robotech.

*shrug* Does anyone know what HBS's war chest looks like vs PGI's? It could be as simple as them trying to shake down a smaller developer who doesn't want to spend money on lawyers.

Also a few threads on this just hit the HBS BT game forums. :munch:

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 23, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If it goes to trial, it'll get thrown out. Harmony Gold only holds rights to the visual images of the old Unseen, not the actual mech names (which were BT specific, not taken from the source animes). They can try this poo poo, but given that the Re-seen have already proven they're not infringing on old properties, and this is using the MWO Reseen stuff, it's pretty clearly a cash grab to hope for out of court settlement just to get some free money.

Harmony Gold are some serious scumbags, and sooner or later their luck is going to run out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm not an expert but isn't harmony gold's major claim to fame chopping up and frankensteining together a bunch of different japanese cartoons as a quick cash-in on the 80's toyetic craze along the lines of transformers and gi joe

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not an expert but isn't harmony gold's major claim to fame chopping up and frankensteining together a bunch of different japanese cartoons as a quick cash-in on the 80's toyetic craze along the lines of transformers and gi joe

That's basically the three seasons of Robotech, yes. Each one was a different anime.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Never change, HG :allears:

But yeah, as of now I see no realistic ground for them to stand on for this suit. The things they hold actual legal power over aren't present in HBS' game in any shape or fashion.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Harmony Gold's official website is loving fantastic. There's links to theater productions and a non-functional catalog of their TV/film properties... and of course a link to their real estate website. For $850 a month, you can live in an LA studio apartment managed by the people who brought Robotech to the US. No pets.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

My understanding is that the mashup occurred because in the 80's the FCC required 52 episodes for TV syndication, which none of the individual animes had, but yes. I'm baffled how HG can think they are the best owners for those IPs based upon their real estate experience, you'd think they'd get better ROI from... well, anything that isn't sitting on old robot cartoons.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Someone bought a Pacer sub and posted this on discord :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Skoll posted:

Someone bought a Pacer sub and posted this on discord :

Lmfao