Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Projected plasma balls is such a slam dunk explanation, has all the observed properties and has obvious military use (spoofing radar signatures)

Also cool lobby displays

https://youtu.be/GNoOiXkXmYQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I really recommend looking into the amount of energy needed for only one plasma ball matching the description and actions exhibited, much less the 16 or w/e actually present.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ha ha yeah you would need like an area the size of deleware to hide it in

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

WEH posted:

I really recommend looking into the amount of energy needed for only one plasma ball matching the description and actions exhibited, much less the 16 or w/e actually present.

These questions are popping up in my mind too, but I'm countering them with "well how about making a spaceship do those things" and "I don't know how a jet or radar works either, so it's at least as magical as those things"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i think if they can get the xb-70 to float on a hypersonic bubble we could get a something to float within a plasma bubble, but im a freaking moron!

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

These questions are popping up in my mind too, but I'm countering them with "well how about making a spaceship do those things" and "I don't know how a jet or radar works either, so it's at least as magical as those things"

Why would the navy release of video of themselves being spoofed by something they hold the patent for?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

WEH posted:

Why would the navy release of video of themselves being spoofed by something they hold the patent for?

Pretending they don't know what they are while publicly advertising that they have them seems about as plausible as any of the other explanations

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i think if they can get the xb-70 to float on a hypersonic bubble we could get a something to float within a plasma bubble, but im a freaking moron!

I don't know what this means but I do want space ships

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

WEH posted:

Could you generate the energy needed with, say, an array of compact fusion reactors housed on a naval vessel?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
it turns out the ufos were ligmas

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Pretending they don't know what they are while publicly advertising that they have them seems about as plausible as any of the other explanations

The bottom line is that we don't have anywhere near the power capacity to do it now, and we sure as poo poo didn't back in 2004. The article itself said they might be able to project up to a mile with the next generation of lasers, and I'm pretty sure those ships were more than a mile offshore when they were doing exercises.

mycomancy posted:

Could you generate the energy needed with, say, an array of compact fusion reactors housed on a naval vessel?

Maybe, but that would be a real silly way to use em

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Delta-Wye posted:

it turns out the ufos were ligmas

yeah some are, but some are E10

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know the answer, but the information is restricted to PEN 15 clearance.

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
deez nuts

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

mycomancy posted:

If this is the answer it's like 90% as good as aliens because fusion reactors.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

my mind cracking open like a walnut at the fact that the easiest explanation really is "aliens bruh"

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
That only explains that specific encounter right? So just one?

A MIRACLE posted:

yea check out r/ufos
I can't find it. Link?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Log082 posted:

If this is the answer it's like 90% as good as aliens because fusion reactors.

Yeah that's kinda my point.

What if we're seeing a demo of new miltech made possible by those Skunkwork fusion reactors reported a while back? Like they loving work, they produce MW of power out of a space comparable to a shipping container, and they allow for things like plasma ball generators, defense lasers, and gods know what else.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
100 years beyond our tech capabilities is better than 1000! by next week we might have an explanation that involves 2040ish tech

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

plasma also explains self illumination, color changing, disappearing/reappearing, shape changes, multiple craft merging into one and separating , visual distortion, silence, heat/burns experienced by witnesses, common changes to the environment at "landing sites",blahblahblah

been posting this for years if its right i want a coke

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

Projected plasma balls is such a slam dunk explanation, has all the observed properties and has obvious military use (spoofing radar signatures)

Nah, only for balls of light which are a small subset of the total sightings. A lot of sightings have very detailed descriptions of structured craft that are clearly physical objects, and they still move in the same gravity defying ways (including the tic tac which is described as having two appendages coming from the bottom). Black triangles/Belgian wave of late 80s-early 90s is another good example but there are loads more.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

munce posted:

Nah, only for balls of light which are a small subset of the total sightings. A lot of sightings have very detailed descriptions of structured craft that are clearly physical objects, and they still move in the same gravity defying ways (including the tic tac which is described as having two appendages coming from the bottom). Black triangles/Belgian wave of late 80s-early 90s is another good example but there are loads more.

yeah uh imma have to stop you right there

balls of light are the most commonly reported uap

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
this stuff is all just as much of a stretch as aliens

It's not like we have to loving guess how the military behaves when it comes to UFO sightings actually being people spotting new tech, because we already know. They call those people crazy and move on because "lmao aliens right get a load of this guy" shuts things down pretty well

All of this stuff is totally unprompted, though. It's not people spotting random poo poo, it's military personnel doing the spotting and reporting. None of this ever had to be released. There was no reason to talk about it. Announcing it if they already know what it is is just nonsensical. Doesn't mean it's aliens, but it being some weird psyop is way more likely than the military telling on itself for some reason.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

It's not like we have to loving guess how the military behaves when it comes to UFO sightings actually being people spotting new tech, because we already know. They call those people crazy and move on because "lmao aliens right get a load of this guy" shuts things down pretty well

All of this stuff is totally unprompted, though. It's not people spotting random poo poo, it's military personnel doing the spotting and reporting. None of this ever had to be released. There was no reason to talk about it. Announcing it if they already know what it is is just nonsensical. Doesn't mean it's aliens, but it being some weird psyop is way more likely than the military telling on itself for some reason.

this post discounts extreme compartmentalization and corporate programs

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

im all out for orange orbs come at me

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I agree with this

Paradoxish posted:

and this

munce posted:

but also I'm half serious when I say lmao did someone harness the power of the earths core starting like 70 years ago just to make these things happen all over the world, or failing that is the poo poo thats been happening in the last 30 years just compact fusion reactors being a threat to global power structures but the powers that be still want to have a bit of fun driving us mad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The things in the videos don’t really look similar. The navy probably just has a pile of weird videos and released these because they want people to feel comfortable reporting strange drones.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

this post discounts extreme compartmentalization and corporate programs

We've got plenty of history to understand how secret projects work in the US, though

Anything is possible, but secret tech developed by the US government/a contractor inexplicably tested in front of the uninformed air force and navy and then released to the public is somewhere below "actually it's just aliens" on the likelihood scale

I still think the most likely explanation is just de-stigmatizing reporting weird poo poo, followed maybe by some kind of disinfo campaign that's actually intended for foreign consumption.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

yeah uh imma have to stop you right there

balls of light are the most commonly reported uap

I should have been more specific. Lights in the sky are the most common sighting. Of the sighting that are close enough to clearly see the shape and detail of the object, balls of light are only a subset.

Carl Von Awesomwitz
May 2, 2006

Sisko Lied, Romulans Died
man there have been a few too many reports of clearly physical craft straight up burning people and giving them radiation poisoning for me to buy the idea that its all a fancy gigawatt light show

cool UFO cases cited in this post:
Cash–Landrum
Falcon Lake

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The things in the videos don’t really look similar. The navy probably just has a pile of weird videos and released these because they want people to feel comfortable reporting strange drones.

Why do this instead of just issuing a command through normal military channels for soldiers/sailors to report all unknown UAV sightings? Why pretend it's aliens? In public?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

no one cares but for the record plasma is my best bet for manmade and i dont think its (all) manmade

munce posted:

I should have been more specific. Lights in the sky are the most common sighting. Of the sighting that are close enough to clearly see the shape and detail of the object, balls of light are only a subset.

for sure. and the plethora of variety in the descriptions is what keeps this interesting imo

The Saucer Hovers has issued a correction as of 03:53 on May 29, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

I don't buy that it's government testing because the government would inherently, you know, let their people know testing is occurring so they can get good data. They're not gonna prank themselves for laughs because they'd want the radar data for study. Would make more sense that it would be a private organization or foreign government, and if it was a special access program they wouldn't risk involving anyone not briefed in like that Carnival cruise ship.

they could be testing how a military responds to this kind of poo poo so they know how to be more subtle when they send the tictac drones to iran

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

munce posted:

Why do this instead of just issuing a command through normal military channels for soldiers/sailors to report all unknown UAV sightings? Why pretend it's aliens? In public?

They're not really pretending that it's aliens. They're just releasing all this poo poo and saying "I dunno."

And there's a big stigma that comes with reporting anything weird and that doesn't go away just because you tell people to do it. That's especially true with pilots. You might get people to report that they saw something, but they're going to hold back on details if they think they're too out there and might make them look crazy. The way they're handling these releases is actually pretty perfect if the goal is to overcome that kind of bias. They're not claiming it's aliens, but they are providing all the bizarre details so that people who report this stuff won't feel the need to make their sightings fit with something more normal.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

munce posted:

Because you want to outsource it to commercial pilots and the internet, too. I would look at it as signaling a culture change and encouraging a shift in wider discourse. They’re saying it’s ok to talk about weird things in the sky, because before that was dismissed out of hand by everyone. When an institution sets the agenda for discussion like that, it has a wider effect.

Plus, you can’t just order people to do something and expect that they’ll do it. Soldiers are told not to rape other soldiers, but they do it all the time and have implicit support from peers and superiors—that’s a culture issue and not just a rules question.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

They're not really pretending that it's aliens. They're just releasing all this poo poo and saying "I dunno."

And there's a big stigma that comes with reporting anything weird and that doesn't go away just because you tell people to do it. That's especially true with pilots. You might get people to report that they saw something, but they're going to hold back on details if they think they're too out there and might make them look crazy. The way they're handling these releases is actually pretty perfect if the goal is to overcome that kind of bias. They're not claiming it's aliens, but they are providing all the bizarre details so that people who report this stuff won't feel the need to make their sightings fit with something more normal.

yeah, i think this is a solid read. even if the top brass doesn't actually think alien spacecrafts are visiting or whatever, you absolutely want people who see something weird to report it on the offchance it's some chinese spy tech you don't know about instead of whoever's reporting it being immediately dismissed as a crank

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

they could be testing how a military responds to this kind of poo poo so they know how to be more subtle when they send the tictac drones to iran

Looks like they already did that:

"To protect the nuke facilities, in 2004 Iran deployed a task force composed of eight F-4E fighters and eight F-14s plus a former 707 airliner and a C-130 cargo plane outfitted with sensors and radios for command and control. The task force encountered what it believed were CIA drones with “astonishing flight characteristics.”
The UAVs could jam radars and disrupt interceptors’ navigation systems. They flew “outside the atmosphere” at speeds of up to Mach 10. They could hover. Flying at night, they emitted a telltale blue light that led to their nickname: “luminous objects.”"

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/whats-behind-ufos-snooping-around-irans-nuclear-facilities-185294

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Anyone who tries to explain to me why this isn’t aliens is ruining my day please stop

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Crow Zone posted:

Anyone who tries to explain to me why this isn’t aliens is ruining my day please stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

There's ex cia directors literally saying it could be aliens. Words like extra terrestrial, non-human technology etc are appearing all over the news reports so it's definitely being pushed as an angle.

Anyway it's amusing that they'd have to go to these lengths to reverse a stigma that only exists because they created it in the first place.