Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
edit:doubleposted

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
VM Jazzmaster.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes :fap:

Aw, dicks.

Missing switch tip aside, this guitar is completely loving fantastic even though
it obviously needs a set-up/wider nut slots before it can comfortably take thicker
gauge strings but despite that it still feels amazing to play/hear.

I think I'm now one of those people who fall in love/lust with inanimate objects. :ohdear:

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

monolithburger posted:

VM Jazzmaster.

Aw, dicks.

Missing switch tip aside, this guitar is completely loving fantastic even though
it obviously needs a set-up/wider nut slots before it can comfortably take thicker

I think I'm now one of those people who fall in love/lust with inanimate objects. :ohdear:

Wrap some PFTE tape on the bridge posts, put blue loc-tite on the threads of the height adjustment screws for the saddles, shim the neck, adjust the truss rod with a little relief, match the saddles with the neck radius and then crank up the bridge to increase the string break angle. You're welcome.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

monolithburger posted:

VM Jazzmaster.

Aw, dicks.

Nice. I've modded the poo poo out of mine, but I've still got one of the original pickups in there and even stock they are pretty nice guitars. The three way switch in mine was awful though and needed replaced. Like the guy above me said, the bridge will need some work and if you're taking it in for a setup it's probably a good idea to find someone who has a lot of experience with the Fender offsets. Also mint green pickguards look real good against that sonic blue.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

watt par posted:

That Extreme Heavy Octave feature sounds rad as hell.

Extreme is one of the gain/distortion flavours on the Lead channel, and heavy octave is one of the effects (octave down blend).
The clean and distortion channels, as well as the effects are all DSP.

I've got the 20W version as my practice amp, It has a few less features but the controls are much more straightforward, and it sounds better than the Line6 stuff and Peavey Viper I tried when I bought it.

High Pockets
Apr 19, 2007
Took way longer than I should have to get one of these
Get to scare the poo poo out of the cat tonight.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Big Muffs are so cool, have fun with it!

Went to Guitar Center to return the ARZ307, came home with this:

Akai APC40 Ableton Live controller

Loving it so far. My setup is currently in a poorly wired room and certain guitars hum when I'm facing my desk. This allows me to get into an ideal position for recording while still being able to control everything. It's also nice having tactile production, I'd forgotten just how useful that is.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
It's finally here. I'm going to play the hell out of this thing.

Who needs sleep anyway?

LUk-
Sep 15, 2011

monolithburger posted:

VM Jazzmaster.

Aw, dicks.

Jealous! I'm a huge fan of Jazzmasters. --someday!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I got an expensive Virus:

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Scottish Uncle posted:

Picked this up for £200 with a hard case, all set up. It has a great surf tone and spanks better than a fender! :D

This guitar shop is right down the road from me so I went there in the hopes that they would have more Godins but they do not. They did have an impressive selection of over priced G&L's though.

Edit for content:
I went ahead and bit the bullet on this guy. I've been playing for 18 years and realized recently that I've never owned a strat so I thought this would be a nice treat for myself.

a very large fish fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 5, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

dick wizard posted:

I've never owned a strat so I thought this would be a nice treat for myself.

BEAUTIFUL! I love the Southern Ash + Maple Neck look.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

dick wizard posted:

I've been playing for 18 years and realized recently that I've never owned a strat so I thought this would be a nice treat for myself.
Then you thoroughly deserve it because every guitar player should own a Strat at some point in their life. Congratulations, it's a beauty!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That guitarist is really, really beautiful. I've been really wanting a strat lately, never even played one. All I really have is metal guitars so I'm expecting it to be a very nice surprise.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Kilometers Davis posted:

That guitarist is really, really beautiful.

And he/she has a great personality :allears:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OgLB2rtvyc
Oh sweet holy jesus look at that loving Les Paul. No. Shut up. Stop. Look at that goddamn Les Paul. I'll wait.

That Les Paul was build in 1957. It is not hung up in a museum, it is singing every single goddamn night. Not because the guitarist thinks he's cool by playing some vintage instrument, but because he *likes* it.

That Les Paul is beat up to an UNGODLY state. However that's because it is doing what it is supposed to do. It is sending out soundwaves of liquid sex. That guitar has got more soul, history and mojo that a new word needs to be invented to describe it.

That is the best guitar in existence at this present time. However, what makes it amazing is that it is Snowy's guitar. It has been his guitar for 47 years and that's what makes the guitar so loving cool. Nobody else should play that specific guitar, other than Snowy.

I actually feel kinda special that I've heard that guitar.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010
My most recent Musician's Friend stupid deal of the day purchase. I pretty much can't resist a pedal for $30 and I've been needing a tuner for a while. Response is good and the display is awesome.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Xabi posted:

Then you thoroughly deserve it because every guitar player should own a Strat at some point in their life. Congratulations, it's a beauty!
Thanks. I've owned two Les Pauls, an SG, a Telecaster, a Schecter for a few months, an old Silvertone, and a parts monster some guy built but never a Strat. I've always liked them and kept them in the back of my mind but it was never really a top priority buy until now. I'll post pics when it gets here.

Kilometers Davis posted:

That guitarist is really, really beautiful.

:h:

plotbeltram
Oct 21, 2008
This paycheck:

Next paycheck:

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
This is my next big music purchase. I've wanted a baritone, so I've decided to get a baritone that will last me the rest of my life.

It sounds completely unreal and is indescribably beautiful. And if Tax Santa is nice and my work reviews go well, it will be mine in a matter of months.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

MullardEL34 posted:

Not exactly a purchase, but I just finished restoring this mid 1960's McMartin tube PA head. New capacitors, new 1/4 input jacks, and a fresh pair of Shuguang Coke Bottle 6L6GC output tubes. The speaker it's sitting on is a home built 1950's mono hifi speaker that I found on the side of the road in rural Geauga County Ohio. The cabinet is rough, but it contains a late 1950's 15 inch Jensen cast metal basket speaker and a Jensen horn of similar vintage. The amp was given to me by a college professor. The amp and speaker sound amazing together, they have that classic bluesy fender deluxe sort of character.

Here's a really poor quality youtube video of the amp in action. I'm the fat guy in the blue shirt with the cigarette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SXIq6zy1o4

Allen Wren posted:

I'm just jealous of the size of room that guy gets to play in. People have closets bigger than my current studio/practice room/whatever.

(The amp sounds cool, too, but JEALOUSY)

niff posted:

that is cool as hell, that's just the kind of little 6L6GC bedroom amp i want to put together.

Sorry for taking so long to replay, but thanks. I'm working with a couple of friends, My college, and the city government of a dying Ohio Rust Belt town to establish a 60/70's style analog recording studio. The city is leasing us an 1800 sq ft building for a dollar a year, as long as we keep the grass mowed and pay the utilities. They even Remodeled it for us! The building started life as a SOHIO gas station and garage in 1961, closed and was renovated into a physicians office in the mid 1980's, then spent the past 10 years semi-abandoned after the surgeon who owned it passed away. The 800 sq. ft service garage has become our live recording room, and the room that originally housed the cash register, racks of cigarettes, wiper blades, oil cans, AC Spark Plugs, and coolers full of cold soda is now our control room. The concrete construction makes for excellent sound isolation.

http://www.facebook.com/MonzaStudios

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 8, 2013

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just had an extremely smooth trade with gentlegoon FancyMike for a Danelectro Blue Paisley.

I've played with it for about an hour and it kicks rear end.

e: Better photo

Manky fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 8, 2013

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

MullardEL34 posted:

Sorry for taking so long to replay, but thanks. I'm working with a couple of friends, My college, and the city government of a dying Ohio Rust Belt town to establish a 60/70's style analog recording studio. The city is leasing us an 1800 sq ft building for a dollar a year, as long as we keep the grass mowed and pay the utilities. They even Remodeled it for us! The building started life as a SOHIO gas station and garage in 1961, closed and was renovated into a physicians office in the mid 1980's, then spent the past 10 years semi-abandoned after the surgeon who owned it passed away. The 800 sq. ft service garage has become our live recording room, and the room that originally housed the cash register, racks of cigarettes, wiper blades, oil cans, AC Spark Plugs, and coolers full of cold soda is now our control room. The concrete construction makes for excellent sound isolation.

That is a motherfuckin' AWESOME situation.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MullardEL34 posted:

That is wild. If I was anywhere near that part of the country, I would absolutely poke my head in.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

I can never pass up a good deal. Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special -- Candy apple red with a mint green pick guard. Looks, sounds, and plays fantastically. I was a bit nervous because I had to take off the neck to tighten the truss rod, but it was a really simple procedure.

fishstik
Jan 3, 2004
A Winner is You!
Made a couple new purchases in the past month or so that I wanted to share with y'all:

On the left is a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin and on the right a Fender Blacktop Strat -- they're both great guitars. I bought the Godin while on a trip to GC intending to buy a Sheraton II, but I picked up the Godin and couldn't put it down. It plays really, really, REALLY well.. I mostly fingerpick on it and play jazzy stuff, and it's perfect for that. The Strat was kind of an impulse buy -- I had been looking for a guitar to replace my Hondo II (seen in the distance), which has some problems. I saw it on musicians friend, dug the look, and bought it because I had a 20% coupon. It was set up really poorly when I got it and had some weird buzzes, but after taking some time to set it up with 11s, it's awesome. The neck is incredible and I love the sound.. obviously not too strat-like, what with humbuckers and all. But it's warm, has a ton of sustain, and there are overtones galore.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Got drat near a whole new rig over the past few days, including a Randall RB1500, which seems to be a fairly unremarkable beast. I can't find jack for info online about this thing, but it sounds awesome, and it was only $80. Pots are kind of scratchy, and the input jack sleeve is missing a chunk of plastic, but it's largely cosmetic and easily fixable. I've got some pictures of it here:

Skin:

Guts:

These were taken before giving it a shot of canned air, so it's pretty dang clean in there.

I also got a pre-Fender SWR Goliath in a trade for some Warhams that I had been looking to get rid of for quite a while. A lovely pic of the cab, amp, my Sunn Beta Lead, and the new bass:

All in all, I ended up getting this rig set up for the low average price of the bass. Not pictured: fuckin' pedals, man.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
I've had this Tele clone I built for a couple years now, and it's not quite complete but what the hell. Enjoy some lovely cell phone images. :words:

One-piece Alder body, Mahogany neck, Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, reverse right-handed headstock, abalone inlays, LSR roller nut shimmed as high as goddamned possible. 24-fret neck, neck pickup repositioned. The strap was hand-beaded by Julia Bristow, then modified to one set length by a master leatherworker here in Seattle. It sits high, basically like Tom Morello I guess.

Fralin P-92 neck, Fralin SP-42 bridge. Trem-King TK-2 self-locking vibrato. The pickguard is a piece of Tortis that I had the creator (a lady who lives in the middle of nowhere in Indiana or something, her kids answer the phone when you call) pour over a piece of acrylic to make it thick enough for an electric guitar, then I designed the shape (which Fender also used later for one of their Pawn Shop series guitars). The luthier I used in England cut it for me, as well as the cavity for the vibrato, then assembled everything.

The knobs are hand-made by Armadillo Guitars in Texas to my size specs from round stock that I mailed to him personally (316 stainless, and some exotic brass or maybe just the regular stuff, I have forgotten); I absolutely need to get some numbers laser-etched on them because the pickups are high-output and playing right at breakup can be a challenge.

The electronics are extensive; 4-way Callaham switch (bridge, both in parallel, neck, both in series), 2 MEC push-pull 500K pots (they do Warwick bass electronics) set to a1) neck volume and b1) bridge volume a2) in-phase / out-of-phase and b2) a kill switch. The brass knob sits atop a Varitone circuit with six settings. It sounds way, way better out-of-phase than in-phase, surprisingly enough.

All the hardware is nickel-plated (other than the knobs), from the Schaller strap-locks, to the butterbean tuner knobs, to the pickup cover. This was very challenging and involved getting two sets of tuners from the Netherlands, as well as the Schaller straplocks - one set with the butterbean knobs, and the other set locking tuners. Ordering custom from Schaller can sometimes have a backorder status of 13 months, so this was easier.

As you can see, I used mostly brass fasteners. Pre-drill and use wax so you don't gently caress up and spin a head off one! And nothing Philips head. gently caress Philips heads, flat head all the way baby.

Here you can see the OTHER piece of Tortis I had made, cut for a vibrato cover and control panel. The vibrato cover is translucent and you can see the springs and vibrato mechanism inside, the control panel is coated with copper. I asked Warmoth to use the 720 mod to have the neck sit a little lower; with the 24 fret neck this helps gain access. Neck plate by my luthier, Mr. Stephen Robinson of Manchester Guitar Tech. Of course the neck itself had some EZ-Lok inserts put into it as well to make it bulletproof.

I sand the neck every once in a while to keep it nice and soft; here you can see the contour cut into the neck plate of the body, again for access to all 24 frets.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Schlieren posted:

I've had this Tele clone I built for a couple years now, and it's not quite complete but what the hell. Enjoy some lovely cell phone images. :words:
Holy crap that's the most gorgeous Tele I've ever seen. How much time/money have you put into that at this point?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Picked up a 82 Ibanez destroyer II dt-50 a couple of days ago. Since my first guitar was a crappy reissue destroyer I have pretty much wanted one since I started playing. The stock neck pickup is super smooth. The bridge pickup is a Duncan invader. I am very familiar with this pickup since I had one in my reissue destroyer forever. Very bright, thrashy distortion, mediocre cleans. I'm already contemplating different wiring and pickup schemes but I'm in no hurry really just enjoying the guitar. Oh yeah I overpaid. $300 dollars w case but I never see these in person and was in good playing shape. Plus they seem to get more overpriced every year.

Krustic fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 11, 2013

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Professor Science posted:

Holy crap that's the most gorgeous Tele I've ever seen. How much time/money have you put into that at this point?
Thanks man! Every time I hear this means it's resellable for at least some of what I paid for it :)

I stopped counting the money once it went north of $3K; the build took maybe 1.5 years of sourcing and all that. Probably like $3500 all told ($500 of that is shipping to and from England; I had a custom case built there and shipped it all back in that).

Then I took another year of playing it a LOT to figure out just how I wanted to set it up. I'd never had a nice electric where everything was adjustable, from pickup pole heights to the gazillion electronics options. I developed some decent fingers relatively quickly though, and could finally tell when it was the guitar that was in my way, or my own hands. It took a while to figure out string height / relief with the compound radius fretboard; don't let the advertising fool you, it takes some getting used to it.

I'm really, really lucky that some of the first string choices I made were good ones otherwise I'd still be scratching my head wondering why it never quite did what I wanted it to do, they make that much of a difference, at least with these pickups. Then I read some good books about amps and that really helped my sound too.

The whole thing was an homage to a Tele clone I bought for $300 that some rear end in a top hat stole. In all honesty I still think that guitar sounded better than this one, in some (mostly single-coil) ways.

I took what I learned from this guitar and applied it to my bass build, and only spent about $1500 on that as a result. I can't say enough about Mr. Robinson the luthier - he really did a fantastic job, and I'm glad I shipped it to England and back. I had some holes routed for the bass build here at Mike Lull in Seattle and they really butchered it I'm sorry to say (I didn't (couldn't) notice until it was all together that the pickup routs don't really line up with the strings :ssj: ).

My advice to anyone thinking about doing something like what I did would be: absolutely do not do it unless you are a huge control freak who won't ever be happy, and even then you're going to be spending a shitload of money just to shut that impulse up inside of you with the rationalization "Well it's not perfect but I spent a shitload on it so I probably should just enjoy it for what it is". Basically, don't do what I did; instead, just buy a Lee Ranaldo Jazzmaster and then pocket the other $2000.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Schlieren posted:

My advice to anyone thinking about doing something like what I did would be: absolutely do not do it unless you are a huge control freak who won't ever be happy, and even then you're going to be spending a shitload of money just to shut that impulse up inside of you with the rationalization "Well it's not perfect but I spent a shitload on it so I probably should just enjoy it for what it is". Basically, don't do what I did; instead, just buy a Lee Ranaldo Jazzmaster and then pocket the other $2000.

This is pretty much my feeling on doing home builds these days. I end up loving with them and tinkering rather than playing them. Like today, I'm going to try to do a fret level on my home build tele.

You think you'll save money but in all honesty they end up costing more than a custom guitar. People who build guitars have the tools to build guitars already, and have the time to work on them. O the plus side, I think going to start doing setup work out of my studio a work now that I've bought all these loving tools.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

I love math too!
Anyway, Randall used to make some solid stuff. I think this had a matching 6x10. There really is gently caress all about also-ran gear on the net. I've got a great Road 440 head that I can't find squat on.

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

I picked up a Carl Martin Plexitone a few weeks ago since 1) Pete Thorn did a demo of one that made the pedal sound amazing and 2) I hadn't bought anything from Musicians Friend in a year or two so they sent me an "Are you still alive? If so, here's 20% off your next purchase!" coupon. That was $50 off the price and I'm stupidly impulsive.

Thankfully, this time I was not foolishly parted from my money. For those not familiar with it, you get three things from this pedal:

Drive - It's very close to a Plexi turned up a good way
High Gain - It's very close to a modded Plexi set to kill
Boost - Completely transparent volume boost

The Plexitone really gets a good 95%+ of the way to that Plexi sound and, for $250 instead of $TEXAS, that's enough for me. The thing really responds to your picking and volume pot adjustments and is just a dream to play through. It's also built like a tank and should hold up to years on the road getting bumped around by the vacuum cleaner like a champ. Running it through a Mesa Subway Blues sounds infinitely better than anything I can get out of my Carvin V3. (Anyone want a modern voiced 100W amp head that has lost all of its appeal for me?) I'll still probably drop money on a Friedman or Suhr Plexi clone at some point in the future when I have saved the money to make such a reckless purchase (read: once a down payment has been made on a house) but this is pretty awesome for now.

Waldstein Sonata fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 11, 2013

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

monolithburger posted:

VM Jazzmaster.

Aw, dicks.

Nice!!! Great purchase, friend. I've kind of went nuts and started collecting VM guitars over the past year or so (literally just got a Jaguar in the mail today!). They are FANTASTIC instruments, full stop - not just for the price.

My collection to date is:

VM Jazzmaster Series 1 (the hardtail bridge model) in butterscotch
VM Jaguar in 3tone sunburst
VM Tele Custom in white
VM Mustang in sonic blue (with red tort pickguard :shlick: )
VM Jaguar bass (the "flagship" model with the block inlays and matching headstock) in black.

For what it's worth, Classic Vibes are also loving fantastic, too. I've got 50's Tele, Duo-Sonic, 60's Precision and 60's Jazz basses and a 50's Precision bass. These aren't the Squiers of 5-10 years ago. These all play/sound/look as good or better than any of my MIM stuff and some of it approaches CIJ levels of quality (I actually prefer my VM Mustang to my 1995 CIJ 'stang for a number of reasons and I actually prefer the pickups in my VM Jazzmaster to the ones in my '92 CIJ Jazzmaster though the lack of a trem on the VM is kind of disappointing!).

no dad im not gay! posted:

Wrap some PFTE tape on the bridge posts, put blue loc-tite on the threads of the height adjustment screws for the saddles, shim the neck, adjust the truss rod with a little relief, match the saddles with the neck radius and then crank up the bridge to increase the string break angle. You're welcome.

No no no, don't tape the bridge posts (if you plan on using the trem, anyway). That prevents the bridge from floating, which is kind of the whole point of the trem system in Jags/Jazz's. Increased break angle will help keep the strings on the saddles, but if he's planning to use the trem much at all, he will have tuning issues if the bridge isn't allowed to rock naturally.

Also, it's much easier to just get a Mustang Bridge (make sure you get the Warmoth modified Mustang bridge as it has height adjustment screws on the saddles so that you can set the radius properly - VM guitars have 9.5" radii, standard Jazzmasters have... 7.5", I think, maybe? Alternatively, and slightly cheaper, a Buzzstop will fix all of his problems, too. Some argue that it alters the sound of the guitar (more sustain, etc.), but honestly, that's what increasing the break angle no matter what is going to do.

C.C.C.P. fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 11, 2013

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's not mine, but one of the guitarists in my band just picked this up from a coworker.

He hasn't been able to ID it, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas what it might be?

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 11, 2013

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I know I've seen the distinctive pickguard and pushbuttons. I want to say Kay or Harmony, offhand. Not a Hagstrom.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The shape, buttons, and pickguard all scream Teisco.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

E: What he said ^^

Maybe Teisco?

http://www.mark-cole.co.uk/teisco/

Looks a bit like them.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It's like the '64 VN-2 but not.

Also the 65 WG-2L.

but the headstock (which might have been trimmed down) and the left side of the pickguard are all wrong.

That's Kurt Cobain's Teisco. It's almost right, but not quite. The string tree bar matches, though, so maybe that _is_ the original neck, or neck hardware.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 11, 2013