Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Noyemi K posted:

The thing that grinds my dickmeat is... what was he expecting to do with $10? Bribe someone to let him into an auditorium stage? Eat two or three cheeseburgers on his way to his doomed pitch to a university?

Scam a bunch of people, and in the worst case scenario still leave with something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Noyemi K posted:

The thing that grinds my dickmeat is... what was he expecting to do with $10? Bribe someone to let him into an auditorium stage? Eat two or three cheeseburgers on his way to his doomed pitch to a university?

I think maybe he was trying to do what Penny Arcade did years ago and cheat into a flexible funding campaign on KS by deliberately setting the goal as low as he could.

He can't be that clever though.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Was it really worth all that for $10 though? I mean holy poo poo. The overhead on getting the thing started alone, wouldn't have been worth it.

And I mean from a "what is my time worth" standpoint. He's gotta wait two months for ten bucks.

e: guess his analytical mind came to another "brilliant" conclusion

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The Triton rebreather getting canceled just saved a few lives

drat it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, but the new one is missing now. That only managed about 400k in pledges, but it did get fully funded.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Noyemi K posted:

Was it really worth all that for $10 though? I mean holy poo poo. The overhead on getting the thing started alone, wouldn't have been worth it.

And I mean from a "what is my time worth" standpoint. He's gotta wait two months for ten bucks.

e: guess his analytical mind came to another "brilliant" conclusion

I will gladly pay him $1 every two months to come up with these videos.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Madcosby posted:

The Triton rebreather getting canceled just saved a few lives

drat it

I hope they do a private paypal campaign because people seem really eager to die horribly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
KICKSTARTER SUCCESS STORY

Yeti: a Gay Love Story 2: Life On The Streets is apparently having its premiere this Thursday thanks to the successful Kickstarter campaign they had last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_4waEyK8g4

The original was a terrible film with a $200 budget about people getting hosed in the rear end by a Yeti which was later picked up and distributed by Troma. Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ix8sxtR68

You can watch the entire film on Troma's youtube channel for free if you're so inclined.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Get your postcard showing a sausage. The popular projects in technology proving enlightening.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Call me a sceptic, but I doubt he has 2000 postcards with sausages on them.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
A year and a half ago, someone tried doing a Kickstarter for yet another questionable attempt at revolutionizing personal transportation. It got some interest but not enough to meet their goal:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/234551142/movpak-the-worlds-first-backpack-electric-vehicle?ref=nav_search

Now, they're trying again on Indiegogo (with flexible funding, of course):

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/movpak-electric-vehicle-backpack-in-one#/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Star Trek fan film lawsuit continues. The defendants argument of "you can't OWN Star Trek, man" turns out to not actually hold water and a judge has denied their motion to dismiss.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

muscles like this? posted:

The Star Trek fan film lawsuit continues. The defendants argument of "you can't OWN Star Trek, man" turns out to not actually hold water and a judge has denied their motion to dismiss.

Wait, they're actually fighting it in court? Sweet Jesus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Star Trek should be in the public domain at this point and Disney never should have been able to lobby congress for limitless extensions of copyright terms, which effectively amounts to indefinite copyright which the original copyright law recognized would be a huge issue and specifically prohibited.

But that said, ain't no way their lawyers are going to successfully argue that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Star Trek should be in the public domain at this point and

lmao are you for real

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

A year and a half ago, someone tried doing a Kickstarter for yet another questionable attempt at revolutionizing personal transportation. It got some interest but not enough to meet their goal:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/234551142/movpak-the-worlds-first-backpack-electric-vehicle?ref=nav_search

Now, they're trying again on Indiegogo (with flexible funding, of course):

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/movpak-electric-vehicle-backpack-in-one#/

Magically at half the price. Wonder how they pulled that off

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmao are you for real

Yes 100%. Star Wars would also be in the public domain as well as per the original rules and term limits on copyright law.

But a few years ago Disney (long before they had anything to do with star wars) realized that the copyright on Mickey Mouse was going to expire, and threw tons of money at congress to let them do what they wanted.

Lots of people even voiced concern because they've since extended copyright longer and longer, and continuing to do so lets them have an infinite copyright. Its law dude, look it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

quote:

The Copyright Term Extension Act (CTEA) of 1998 extended copyright terms in the United States. Since the Copyright Act of 1976, copyright would last for the life of the author plus 50 years, or 75 years for a work of corporate authorship. The 1976 Act also increased the extension term for works copyrighted before 1978 that had not already entered the public domain from twenty-eight years to forty-seven years, giving a total term of seventy-five years. The 1998 Act extended these terms to life of the author plus 70 years and for works of corporate authorship to 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever endpoint is earlier.[1] Copyright protection for works published prior to January 1, 1978, was increased by 20 years to a total of 95 years from their publication date.
This law, also known as the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, Sonny Bono Act, or (derisively) the Mickey Mouse Protection Act,[2] effectively "froze" the advancement date of the public domain in the United States for works covered by the older fixed term copyright rules. Under this Act, additional works made in 1923 or afterwards that were still protected by copyright in 1998 will not enter the public domain until 2019 or afterward... [others] may remain protected until the end of 2047.

lmao do you think copyrights last forever?

Public domain used to be a big deal but corporations have been pushing to get rid of it all they can.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 01:18 on May 11, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Holy poo poo, you mean Disney has been loving with copyright since "a few years ago"? This is a revelation, how did you find out about that?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Star Trek being out of copyright only means you could sell your own copies of the original series, and does not mean you could make a new Star trek and sell it. You also couldn't sell TNG etc.

Even with copyright being 28+28 years (due to renewal) like it used to be, selling your own star trek stuff without permission would still violate trademark, which has never expired just with time in the US.

Same with star wars, except no copyright law since the 19th century would have it expire quick enough for something from 1977 to be expired yet.

fishmech has a new favorite as of 03:14 on May 11, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If there's one thing wrong with America's modern media landscape, it's that there aren't nearly enough revivials, reboots, and mash-ups of old IPs.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Call me when they reboot batman, that's a new and fresh idea

:thejoke:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

fishmech posted:

Star Trek being out of copyright only means you could sell your own copies of the original series, and does not mean you could make a new Star trek and sell it.

Yes, it absolutely does mean that. That's what the public domain means. You couldn't use anything created in newer Star Treks that would still be under copyright, but any elements of the works in the public domain would be entirely open to use, remix, adapt, expand upon, etc.

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/sherlock-holmes-case-decision-public-domain-1201346225/

Guy Mann posted:

If there's one thing wrong with America's modern media landscape, it's that there aren't nearly enough revivials, reboots, and mash-ups of old IPs.

It's a valid point; a rich public domain is essential to the creation of new works. In addition, orphaned works are being lost all the time, and that's a real loss to history and to the public domain. It's especially ironic because Disney cut its teeth on adapting public domain material. Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Ichabod and Mr. Toad, Cinderella, Peter Pan, 20,000 Leagues, all were heavily reliant on public domain material. Even the Lion King is a pretty thinly veiled adaptation of Hamlet.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 03:49 on May 11, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure if it did happen it'd mean you could create your own works in that world. It'd be weird if you couldn't create an original work in that world but you could re-produce or sell the original?

And that's the grand irony of it, companies like Disney couldn't have gotten started without building off public domain, but then they refuse to contribute and actively push to keep others from being able to get their start doing the same thing. They have more products based on public domain works than they do original IPs.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Cool I really want to read Baby's First Copyright Guide from the guy who thinks the Disney thing is some obscure knowledge bomb.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Cool I really want to read Baby's First Copyright Guide from the guy who thinks the Disney thing is some obscure knowledge bomb.

calm down.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

motherfucker i am calm, i will calm the gently caress out of you, i will namaste this whole loving thread to the ground

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure if it did happen it'd mean you could create your own works in that world. It'd be weird if you couldn't create an original work in that world but you could re-produce or sell the original?
You could make your own Star Trek but trademarks are separate from copyright, so you wouldn't be able to market your new Star Trek as Star Trek.

Example. Back in the 80's Eternity Comics published two issues of reprints of the old Mickey Mouse comics from the 30's. Disney didn't bother reupping the copyright on them back in the fifties so they were public domain. To avoid trademark infringement they published the books with all black covers and pre-polybagged. It's not a very good example because Disney threatened to sue them and they immediately backed down. AFAIK the case never saw the inside of a court room, but it would have been very interesting to see.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Yes, it absolutely does mean that. That's what the public domain means. You couldn't use anything created in newer Star Treks that would still be under copyright, but any elements of the works in the public domain would be entirely open to use, remix, adapt, expand upon, etc.

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/sherlock-holmes-case-decision-public-domain-1201346225/

I remember that, because Night Of The Living Dead entered into public domain, it was easier to produce the two remakes on that film.

Also, Star Trek has a really bizarre copyright to begin with, even before these fan films. The license for Star Fleet Battle/Universe is still ongoing for three decades now, despite them using TOS and the animated series as a core element of the franchise (and the original company folding in the RPG industry collapse of the late 90s).

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Cross post from the Schadenfreude thread:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

http://www.peachyprinter.com/

TL;DR is Kickstarter for cheap printer ends up with the genius idea of moving the money into a personal account of someone, who then spends 300k of it on his house. Whoopsie!
I feel like at this point a competent accountant should be automatically budgeted into every crowdfunded project.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Oh, hey, I almost pledged for that one as a neat thing to fiddle around with. Glad I decided that the price was a bit more than I was willing to risk on it and to wait until it was released (if it was ever released).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah I did pledge on it on account of it being well within my budget at the time and me going 'oh, they're from saskatoon, that's as close to local as kickstarter gets for me'. Whoops!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

neongrey posted:

Yeah I did pledge on it on account of it being well within my budget at the time and me going 'oh, they're from saskatoon, that's as close to local as kickstarter gets for me'. Whoops!

I'm also from Saskatoon. Give me money.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I'm willing to say I am and I will give you a machine that may or may not do a thing if you give me tons of money.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I made a machine that I'll send to you for cheap. However the machine cannot normally be seen, touched, or sensed by man in general. I'm currently seeking funding to develop a tool to detect this machine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

Cross post from the Schadenfreude thread:

I feel like at this point a competent accountant should be automatically budgeted into every crowdfunded project.

quote:

The total amount of stolen funds - $324,716.01. David claims that he intended to pay the money back before I could realize it was gone, but evidently he failed to do so.

This is kinda sad, the guy still doesn't realize his partner never intended to fulfill the kickstarter.

quote:

When I confronted him, he continued to lie. He told me that he still had the funds in his account, but they were locked down and he couldn’t move them. I was very skeptical, and it took another month of digging and prying to get him to crack. One day on the phone he finally admitted that he had spent the money, and luckily I was recording the call.

Oh poo poo, this is amazing.

Whats the odds that this is all theater to cover up losing the money and it was a scam to begin with?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Haha, :wtf: is this? The guy "interviewed" his partner on camera... and he agreed to for some reason. It seems really fake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wy3zA3LxG4

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

wa27 posted:

Haha, :wtf: is this? The guy "interviewed" his partner on camera... and he agreed to for some reason. It seems really fake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bnh162vqk4

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wa27 posted:

this is unreal

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

wa27 posted:

ha wow

didnt know about this project till now but its all really funny

this is one of the worst videos/responses ive ever seen. im the sad music playing ominously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i like the close-ups of the CEO who sounds like a Canadian Jimmy Kimmel with legally certified mental retardation