Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Geight posted:

Oh, sick. I gotta say I do enjoy watching these sort of events unfold, the only downside is that when people come in later there's no fun sense of community revelation, it's just some obtuse thing that you definitely won't figure out on your own and have to look up.

I also enjoy a good ARG, but this stuff with Afterbirth doesn't feel right. I really wish they had proper PR to let everybody know that Afterbirth was going to be this way. With all the bugs that have been happening and with all the patches, it's hard to feel like any of this stuff really matters. I know this isn't the case, but it feels like the expansion wasn't finished or tested like they thought it would be, and so they're spending a lot of resources finishing it after the fact.

They're doing this cryptic bullshit to act like there's all this content we haven't found yet, but they've shot themselves in the foot with their handling of everything. I would love to be excited about Isaac ARG poo poo. It's hard to be excited about it when it just feels like we have to wait until an unspecified date to release a patch that unlocks more content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

wyoming posted:

Greed is such a bullshit boss on top of it, pretty much just gently caress everything about that mode.

yeah I like the mode but that boss is complete bullshit health wise.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

wyoming posted:

Greed is such a bullshit boss on top of it, pretty much just gently caress everything about that mode.

I had Dr. Fetus when I came in.

Don't pick up Dr. Fetus in Greed Mode.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

asterioth posted:

That also happens when the dev timegates it and then completely lies about it not being a timegate because he's still got the sorest rear end the world has ever seen about the lost being datamined. He also completely ignores that the community knew everything about the puzzle from doing it like he wanted and was hours away from finishing gathering all the pieces of the puzzle.
Or it could be that he made a better ARG this time around and it is you who has the sore rear end.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mr Phillby posted:

Or it could be that he made a better ARG this time around and it is you who has the sore rear end.

The ARG could not be done until that Steam file was updated yesterday. It could not be completed from launch.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

RatHat posted:

Tip for people when doing Mega Satan runs: If you exit an Angel room after getting a key piece, and the door is still there, you can go back in the Angel statue will have respawned(allowing you to get the second key piece as well).

You can quit to menu and reload too which doesn't risk losing the room.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

senrath posted:

The ARG could not be done until that Steam file was updated yesterday. It could not be completed from launch.
And?

The "no time-gated content" thing was in relation to the 30 or so bugged items that weren't in the game at launch. By definition any content hidden behind a comunity puzzle is going to be time gated for exactly how long it takes the comunity to solve the puzzle.

The kind of player who gives enough of a poo poo to access whatever bullshit character the puzzle unlocks is going to be putting hundreds of hours into the game anyway, so what is even the problem?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

There's a difference between "this can't be unlocked until the community solves a puzzle" and "this can't be unlocked until the game's developer decides to let the community start on the puzzle" which is what the post you quoted was complaining about.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Mr Phillby posted:

That'd be a fair point if: A. The unlock was actually in the game when he started talking about it being an ARG. and B. The first big clue for the puzzle was in at the start, and not added to the achievement pictures almost 2 weeks after the game launched, and about a week and a half after he started talking about the ARG. Hell I'd be 100% surprised if any of the next part of the puzzle was actually in the game right now and not being added in the patch that might come tomorrow.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Personally I don't see the problem in drip feeding puzzle pieces, but you're assuming they're being put out there on an arbitrary timescale, rather than when previous pieces have been solved.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Mr Phillby posted:

Personally I don't see the problem in drip feeding puzzle pieces, but you're assuming they're being put out there on an arbitrary timescale, rather than when previous pieces have been solved.

No they're put in when the content is done. They had to rush the release a bit and weren't done. Explains the lack of testing challenges and stuff

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm pretty sure that the Generosity clue was only put in once the devs saw that enough people donated 999 coins to the Greed Machine. Which isn't exactly solving a puzzle so much as a different form of a time gate.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Mr Phillby posted:

It's the best ARG. Wait until the dev feels like releasing the content in a patch and deal with the dev being combative with people who point out technical issues. It's less ARG and more "thing you'd expect from an early access game from a first-time dev."

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Generosity clue was only put in once the devs saw that enough people donated 999 coins to the Greed Machine. Which isn't exactly solving a puzzle so much as a different form of a time gate.

Pre-patch it was impossible to put more than 109 coins in the machine. So your theory here doesn't make any sense. Most likely something was either profoundly broken or they were unsuccessfully trying to do something way too clever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's possible they're just releasing additional hints for a puzzle that was always present.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's possible they're just releasing additional hints for a puzzle that was always present.

The additional hint is in an achievement that you couldn't get before.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Datamined spoilers about what the big secret is: The unlock for all this is a new character called The Keeper, he's been slowly added/finished over the course of the patches. This last one was the one that actually had his sprites in it, so no. Also his starting item is a trinket that as of right now has no name in the client but allows him to enter shops with no key cost. Coincidentally one of the recently added achievements is for something called Store Key but of course you cant obtain it yet till the patch hits.

Jusupov posted:

The additional hint is in an achievement that you couldn't get before.

No it gets better than that, the achievement wasn't obtainable at first due to a bug (allegedly) then the greed machine was patched to allow you to hit 999 and grant the achievement, yesterday the achievement's image was changed to the first actual hint that has been in the game.

asterioth fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 13, 2015

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I probably shouldn't get so worked up over this.

I just hate the narrative of 'Ed is super salty over the Lost, so now he's punishing the comunity' that's built up over this.

The puzzle this time seems a lot more interesting and involved, that's a great thing. The wait for unlocks seems like a baffling thing to be upset about given the entire game is bulit around unlocking stuff.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Mr Phillby posted:

I just hate the narrative of 'Ed is super salty over the Lost, so now he's punishing the comunity' that's built up over this.

The puzzle this time seems a lot more interesting and involved, that's a great thing. The wait for unlocks seems like a baffling thing to be upset about given the entire game is bulit around unlocking stuff.

I agree that his feelings about the Lost stuff are overblown, but this isn't really a puzzle. It's just waiting until content is patched in. We knew about The Keeper from the time the expansion was released. Certain elements of it were in the game, but obviously unfinished. As time has gone one more and more stuff has been added through patches. That's really cool, but to call it a puzzle is being real generous.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If the character just wasn't finished why was it left lying around in the files for people to find

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

If the character just wasn't finished why was it left lying around in the files for people to find

It didn't have sprites. It instantly died on certain pickups. Like.. I don't know what you would call that besides unfinished.

This kind of poo poo happens in game dev all the time. You develop a game. You have a certain set of assets, and there's no process to go through to make sure they're all being used or whatever before the game ships. There's also a pressure against deleting anything since nobody can be real sure the assets aren't being used somewhere. So every game ships with a certain amount of unused or unfinished stuff included.

Then on top of that, as patches have continued, things have been changed aboutThe Keeper that make it a lot closer to a playable thing rather than unfinished cruft.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 13, 2015

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

ErIog posted:

It didn't have sprites. It instantly died on certain pickups. Like.. I don't know what you would call that besides unfinished.

This kind of poo poo happens in game dev all the time. You develop a game. You have a certain set of assets, and there's no process to go through to make sure they're all being used or whatever before the game ships. There's also a pressure against deleting anything since nobody can be real sure the assets aren't being used somewhere. So every game ships with a certain amount of unused or unfinished stuff included.

Yeah, and keep in mind the buffs to 2 characters that's coming today(Eve starts with the razor blade and the Lost starts with holy mantle) that people have been wanting were delayed for no other reason that ed/nicholas wanted them to be timegated since they have been in the files listed as starting items for characters since the expansion launched(the lost also has the space for holy mantle reserved on his character slot, look at the space under his name between it and the d4 and compare it to any other character).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Personally I think people on both sides take this game a bit too seriously at times.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Lucked out and got Ludovico Technique as Azazel on my Greed run. :toot:

That boss fight is still bullshit.
At least Hush is fun.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Finally beat Hush as Lilith thanks to a combination of 48hr energy, Meat Boy, Bumbo and a slew of tear buffs.

Sadly it was on regular mode so I need to do it again on hard or that icon's gonna bug me a ton.

Still not sure whether I can be bothered unlocking the Lost. Does anyone know whether the seeds still work for that?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Following a rather strange run where I ended up with 8 of the little fella, I wonder if the plural of "Bumbo" is:

a) Bumbo
b) Bumbos
c) Bumsbo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

asterioth posted:

That'd be a fair point if: A. The unlock was actually in the game when he started talking about it being an ARG. and B. The first big clue for the puzzle was in at the start, and not added to the achievement pictures almost 2 weeks after the game launched, and about a week and a half after he started talking about the ARG. Hell I'd be 100% surprised if any of the next part of the puzzle was actually in the game right now and not being added in the patch that might come tomorrow.
my gorbness who cares

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

IronicDongz posted:

my gorbness who cares

Well Mr Phillby and Irony Be My Shield do because they keep on arguing something that's obviously not true?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

IMO Ed is a condescending manchild who released a busted game and by all indications has straight up lied about what is glitches and what is ARG and what is actually completable at any given time period. I don't know how anyone could look at Afterbirth's release and think Ed needs some goon defending about how releasing busted products and lying about them is actually really cool because now there's a puzzle and people should chew their steaks slowly.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

wyoming posted:

Lucked out and got Ludovico Technique as Azazel on my Greed run. :toot:

That boss fight is still bullshit.
At least Hush is fun.

Wait did they fix Azazel's damage yet? I still need to do mega satan with him.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Wait did they fix Azazel's damage yet? I still need to do mega satan with him.

The patch that fixes him is supposed to come out today, apparently.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

So It Goes posted:

IMO Ed is a condescending manchild who released a busted game and by all indications has straight up lied about what is glitches and what is ARG and what is actually completable at any given time period. I don't know how anyone could look at Afterbirth's release and think Ed needs some goon defending about how releasing busted products and lying about them is actually really cool because now there's a puzzle and people should chew their steaks slowly.
There it is.

There is the sorest of asses.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Mr Phillby posted:

There it is.

This game sucks and its creator is a giant loser idiot baby, ugh I can't stop talking about how DUMB this game is and how much I hate its creator, let me post about it incessantly in the forums topic related to it, I'm sure everyone enjoys seeing me whine all loving day about a year old reaction to ARG and data miners.

It'd be great if we could talk about the game too, though.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Disgusting Coward posted:

Following a rather strange run where I ended up with 8 of the little fella, I wonder if the plural of "Bumbo" is:

a) Bumbo
b) Bumbos
c) Bumsbo

Bumbi. Collective noun: a Bumbola

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

https://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor

This stuff happens all the time. Literally every game's code is littered with unfinished bits of levels, characters, pickups, etc. Some of that unfinished code is finished in paid DLC. People just don't realize because not every game's community is as rabid about finding secrets as the BoI one. The Keeper's code wasn't left in the game for people to find, it was there because (in theory) they were still working on the character but wanted to release the game on time.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yikes, I didn't realize saying "this community puzzle thing is kind of cool" would bring so many manchildren out of the woodworks. :suicide:

I eagerly look forward to Everything is Terrible 2! being unlockable. Greed mode becoming harder will hopefully make it interesting enough to keep playing while I drop mad dosh into the machine at the end.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

There it is.

You're getting really worked up about this FYI.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Screw it, I unlocked the lost anyway. I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3G-6gQmEAA to be much more useful than the wiki. Had to emergency reset during a death animation once (dies to the Fallen just before Satan) but it worked out.

First time with Ludicvo technique on Azazel too, I was almost worried I'd accidentally kill Satan :)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
If someone has a sore rear end does that mean Edmund rear end raped them? Because I think that's worse than saying he isn't a very great game developer.

Also can anyone confirm if you get one transformation you cannot get another? Like guppy+mom ?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

If someone has a sore rear end does that mean Edmund rear end raped them?
no???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Reddit OP solved it for real guys

:tinfoil: