Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hello 16BBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Oliver Sacks, mfs were literally talking Bout him the other day

That's where I got the bug in my head but I couldn't remember where the gently caress it was.

Sweet it's on my libraries libby.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

greetings

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

pentyne posted:

didn't goodreads get taken over as some weird parasocial networking site with authors shilling their own books and replaying to everything?

yes

started reading the recognitions, it rules

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

welcome back

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Last book-related recommendation- if you live in the usa, get the Libby library app. You can literally get a library card through the app and then use it to get all the books and audiobooks you could ever want for free. I have a close friend who's a teacher, and she and all her students have it.

Anyway,

Leal posted:

Rip dark id....

Orbs has a new favorite as of 02:20 on May 19, 2024

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

why does it have a drawer

NoiseAnnoys posted:

for the magnifying glass.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

pentyne posted:

didn't goodreads get taken over as some weird parasocial networking site with authors shilling their own books and replaying to everything?

Tbh I've used it for years and haven't run into too many instances of that sort of thing

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

pentyne posted:

its owned by amazon op

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What, your cologne? :D

gently caress thiis website.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

its owned by amazon op

I use StoryGraph, which was started as an alternative to Goodreads so you didn't have to use Amazon services. It even imports your goodreads data

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dongicus posted:

lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

all of the thanos dicks is making me remember when endgame was coming out and everyone was riling up the marvel people by telling them ant-man would kill thanos by going giant in his rear end lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Joey McChrist posted:

all of the thanos dicks is making me remember when endgame was coming out and everyone was riling up the marvel people by telling them ant-man would kill thanos by going giant in his rear end lol

lol that would send people berserk for some reason

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Joey McChrist posted:

they're right

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
only one marvel movie is coming out this year... the galaxy is at peace

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dongicus posted:

lol

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dongicus posted:

thats what they want!

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Gankutsuo is the best Monte Cristo adaptation, and it's not even a close contest at all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dongicus posted:

Lol

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Orbs posted:

Last book-related recommendation- if you live in the usa, get the Libby library app. You can literally get a library card through the app and then use it to get all the books and audiobooks you could ever want for free. I have a close friend who's a teacher, and she and all her students have it.

Anyway,

I like the selection on Hoopla better but Libby is also sick. Hoopla has a massive selection of comics.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

UwUnabomber posted:

I like the selection on Hoopla better but Libby is also sick. Hoopla has a massive selection of comics.

what about Poob or Shimsham

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Libby is incredible and I've used it for a few dozen books without any issues

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Gankutsuo is the best Monte Cristo adaptation, and it's not even a close contest at all.

Does not help that there's not a lot of real competition.

I think it doesn't help that Monte Cristo is too long and too complicated to really pull off as a movie, and would thus be consigned to the no-man's-land of TV miniseries which really wouldn't have the budget to pull it off. Though nowadays it might work in a prestige TV format.

That said, I can't think of many other books that would successfully make the period where the protagonist is locked in a dungeon alone for years one of the most interesting parts. Come to think of it, the descriptions are probably some of the best parts; going from detailed descriptions of a damp miserable dungeon to lavish homes of the rich and famous.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Violen posted:

animal well item and utility spoilers https://i.imgur.com/CatjBZ5.mp4

game owns

man I'm tempted to click on this

haven't looked anything up yet but I'm stumped on how to get into the wolf flame room

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does not help that there's not a lot of real competition.

I think it doesn't help that Monte Cristo is too long and too complicated to really pull off as a movie, and would thus be consigned to the no-man's-land of TV miniseries which really wouldn't have the budget to pull it off. Though nowadays it might work in a prestige TV format.

That said, I can't think of many other books that would successfully make the period where the protagonist is locked in a dungeon alone for years one of the most interesting parts. Come to think of it, the descriptions are probably some of the best parts; going from detailed descriptions of a damp miserable dungeon to lavish homes of the rich and famous.

it should be animated in the style of rick and morty op

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coolguye posted:

it should be animated in the style of rick and morty op

(pulls out knife frenchishly)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Violen posted:

animal well item and utility spoilers https://i.imgur.com/CatjBZ5.mp4

game owns

I beat got the true ending for this game yesterday which was kinda anti-climactic but I suppose that’s not the point of the game. Please do yourself a favor and don’t do what I did. If you run into a really hard puzzle, come back to it after you beat the game for the first time because there’s an item that makes a lot of the ridiculous poo poo a lot easier

I’m not honestly even sure if I’m done with the game because there are still things I don’t really understand like what’s up with the “secret bunnies” and the music note cipher I found in that room with the huge pile of skulls

It’s a very good game and I hope the devs (dev?) continue to add content.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My book recommendation is don't read House of Leaves. It's bad.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

rodbeard posted:

its good but not for everyone

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

rodbeard posted:

The narrative layers were like an interesting onion and realizing the whole thing was actually a riff on St. Elsewhere was pretty fun but even as a teen I got the impression that the writer was kind of up his own rear end.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Later I started reading Umineko and thinking, this reminds me of House of Leaves but a lot worse written. But also a lot more interesting to read for some reason? And that comparison is probably completely nonsense but at the time I was pretty young so in retrospect that was a Boss Baby moment.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Battler is a way more likeable protagonist than Johnny Truant

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Runa posted:

(pulls out knife frenchishly)

So you're saying it needs to be animated like Totally Spies?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I also read the whalestoe letters (very sad, but also not essential)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

His books after were all gimmicks trying to capture the same magic but I cannot name one person who read them

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Saddest Rhino posted:

His books after were all gimmicks trying to capture the same magic but I cannot name one person who read them

I read and still own my copy of the Fifty-Year Sword, which is a really cool-looking book but has about a short story's worth of content, and not a particularly good short story

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I really enjoyed house of leaves but I gifted it to my wife a decade later and she couldn’t get through it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I got a little bit into House of Leaves, dropped it because it wasn't quite clicking, and then it was one of the handful of books we lost to the sprinklers when our apartment building caught fire. I should probably take another swing at it, but I might have to get it from the library or something because I dunno if I want to buy another copy before I know whether I actually like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Speaking of gimmicks I bought Alan Moore 's first novel voice of the fire and the first part is written in neanderthal limited vocab that I couldn't penetrate at all and I never touched it since. I dunno if I'll ever pick it up again but some time later I saw him doing that kind of conlang stuff for of all things, spin offs of the crossed comic series and that was also a chore to parse