Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Man I’m not getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

HidaO-Win posted:

Man I’m not getting it.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/29/21494499/cyberpunk-2077-development-crunch-time-cd-projekt-red

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Oh right, that sucks, but they are in a real country, so they’ll at least get paid overtime for it.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Here we go!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/darkest-dungeon-the-board-game

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

If anyone in here likes the Sentinels of the Multiverse setting they're launching a legacy board game as well today. Low on minis, but it looks like a pretty good game overall.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcanewonders/freedom-five-a-sentinels-comics-board-game/comments

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

theironjef posted:

If anyone in here likes the Sentinels of the Multiverse setting they're launching a legacy board game as well today. Low on minis, but it looks like a pretty good game overall.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcanewonders/freedom-five-a-sentinels-comics-board-game/comments

...wtf is even happening here. It's a Sentinels game... published by Arcane Wonders... designed by Launius and the Sadler Bros?

Yeah, not sure about this.

edit: Also, advertising "Kickstarter Exclusive Content!" is a turn-off in 2020, sorry.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

...wtf is even happening here. It's a Sentinels game... published by Arcane Wonders... designed by Launius and the Sadler Bros?

Yeah, not sure about this.

edit: Also, advertising "Kickstarter Exclusive Content!" is a turn-off in 2020, sorry.

I had been considering this, so by all means expound on your concerns. I don't know enough about board game companies.

And as far as I can tell so far the only exclusive differences between retail and KS editions are art variants and minis instead of some standees, don't think there's a gameplay difference. Probably will be with stretch goals though.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 20, 2020

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

theironjef posted:

My group is really big on Sentinels of the Multiverse. The RPG ended up being a big wet fart for us and our play style, but this sounds like it could be great. Almost a guaranteed back from me.

edit: KS-exclusive stuff is a huge bummer. Probably not enough to get me to pass on it, but I agree that it's gross.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 20, 2020

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Expounding:

1) It's a weird Frankenstein's monster. I like the Sadler Bros, but Launius, imo, doesn't make particularly fulfilling boardgame designs. He helped design Arkham Horror but most of his output since has been... okay.

2) Arcane Wonders has been a real hit-and-miss company for me. I loved Mage Wars but then they've just gone on to tank that line and make some really questionable decisions on their publishing schedule. I'd be happier if GTG had been the primary force behind this.

3) I hate KS-exclusive material in kickstarters. It's a marketing ploy that I find to be a real turn-off.

I'll watch the campaign as I enjoyed Sentinels quite a bit, but the first impression has me scratching my head.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

theironjef posted:

I like Sentinels of the Multiverse, I like the Sadler Bros, I like big miniature co-op games... this is not really looking that interesting? Actually, I backed Hour of Need, which is already a knock-off superhero co-op game with minis BY the Sadler Bros that uses their modular deck system, so this seems extraneous.

I think it was a huge mistake in their page layout to be scrolling down and finally get to "Gameplay" and it's like, "coming soon!" What? I want to see a simple summary in pictures and text of how the game plays. I know I could watch a video, but there are a ton of games on KS, they need an elevator pitch.

They seem to be obfuscating how many miniatures are actually included, as well. I think there are only 6, so when you see the component list of 5 heroes, 8 villains, and 1 mastermind, the 8 villains are standees. I'm also not really a fan of generic meeples in thematic games like this.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 20, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Agrias120 posted:

My group is really big on Sentinels of the Multiverse. The RPG ended up being a big wet fart for us and our play style, but this sounds like it could be great.

That is a shame to hear. I am really looking forward to this getting a public release so I can pick it up. I really want a good super hero game, and as someone who played a ton of Silver Age Sentinels I don't need a perfect system by any means.

What problems did your group encounter?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I agree that a lot of KS-exclusive stuff is a real turn-off, but none of this seems to be gameplay-necessary. Custom sleeves and dice are vanity options and a lot of people won't care about, and minis are such a pain in the rear end to deal with that making the retail version have standees is probably a smart move. Now, making such a big deal about those options being Kickstarter exclusive is a bit unpleasant, but it's not like other games that have made entire expansions or parts of the core game backer-only.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'm turned off by the complete lack of anything non-video on the campaign page explaining what the game is or what you do in it. Just a lot of flashy graphics. I'd probably want to watch a gameplay video if they're potentially doing something interesting, but I need some details first.

Re: Launius and Arkham Horror, the man designed the original 1980s Arkham Horror, which is, like a lot of 80s designs, a really sparse game driven almost entirely by dice rolls. I've not seen anything to suggest he had much input in FFG's 2nd and 3rd editions, much less the best game with that name on it, the LCG.

I'm actually just as happy to see it not from G<G though. I love Sentinels, and I love them for publishing Spirit Island, but Sentinels Tactics was pretty meh, and Galactic Strike Force was completely broken, so I don't really trust them to replicate their success with Sentinels. I don't necessarily assume Arcane Wonders will do better, but I'm more willing to give them a shot.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

“Helped design the board game Arkham Horror” isn’t exactly a career highlight.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tsilkani posted:

I agree that a lot of KS-exclusive stuff is a real turn-off, but none of this seems to be gameplay-necessary. Custom sleeves and dice are vanity options and a lot of people won't care about, and minis are such a pain in the rear end to deal with that making the retail version have standees is probably a smart move. Now, making such a big deal about those options being Kickstarter exclusive is a bit unpleasant, but it's not like other games that have made entire expansions or parts of the core game backer-only.

All in all it still seems less intrusive than your average CMON game.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

All in all it still seems less intrusive than your average CMON game.

I don't even see exclusivity language on any of the stretch goals, it may literally be cosmetic exclusives only here. I mean, it's every bit as likely that it's just not very well run instead?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

“Helped design the board game Arkham Horror” isn’t exactly a career highlight.

FFG's revamp may not be the greatest game ever made, but believe me, it's a lot more interesting than the original 80s version he designed.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

potatocubed posted:

Hello, time for me to self-promote!

I've just launched The Map is not The Territory which is a collection of dungeon adventures, essays, and mini-games all based off a single map. It's a bit of a weird project and I'm filled with anxiety that it's going to crash and burn, so if you've got some spare cash... why not give it to me so I can pay two dozen authors to write fancy stuff?

Looks interesting to me, so I’ll probably jump onboard!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

theironjef posted:

I don't even see exclusivity language on any of the stretch goals, it may literally be cosmetic exclusives only here. I mean, it's every bit as likely that it's just not very well run instead?

Confirmed in the comments by the game creators: all KS exclusive stuff is cosmetic. They aren't sure how the stretch goals will be sold in stores yet, but they will be.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

That is a shame to hear. I am really looking forward to this getting a public release so I can pick it up. I really want a good super hero game, and as someone who played a ton of Silver Age Sentinels I don't need a perfect system by any means.

What problems did your group encounter?

We were only working from the quick-start guide that I picked up a few years ago when it first came out, and some pre-release early PDFs from the kickstarter that were far from complete. I've got faith in the final product, but my group REALLY likes progression and carrot-on-a-stick systems, and it didn't have enough of that for them. They also struggled a bit with the roleplaying that's baked into the system. We did a couple of one-off pregen adventures both at home and at Gen Con and had an absolutely amazing time, but any time we tried to flex it into a campaign-like experience, it their interest faltered. Take it all with a giant grain of salt, though, because I love my friends but despite all the systems we try they keep asking to go back to Pathfinder. At least they indulge my desire to try running new stuff. :shobon:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Very true. The one thing the system doesn't really do is long form progression and growth. There is an XP sort of mechanic (back issues and collections) but it's mostly just a few bonuses here and there. When I've run it for longer than a few sessions I have resorted to letting players rebuild their characters between arcs to represent new writers or styles or focuses. Like sure, spend an arc as extreme 90s Cyclops, it's cool.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am extremely down with no progression. Just let me start as a cool powerful hero and just tell cool stories where the only reward is narrative stuff.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am extremely down with no progression. Just let me start as a cool powerful hero and just tell cool stories where the only reward is narrative stuff.

It'll probably be a very good system for you, in that case. Because it really rewards narratives and building your attacks/scenes. Whenever we do one-off games, it's the system my group requests the most, even if we replace the superhero theme with something else. Because it's easy to learn, quick to get into, and they don't mind the lack of progression for small things.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

potatocubed posted:

I've just launched The Map is not The Territory which is a collection of dungeon adventures, essays, and mini-games all based off a single map. It's a bit of a weird project and I'm filled with anxiety that it's going to crash and burn, so if you've got some spare cash... why not give it to me so I can pay two dozen authors to write fancy stuff?

Hey, I'm one of those authors! Looking forward to writing some nonsense involving dungeons and my psych degree.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah. Indiana Jones, Batman, James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, the crew of the USS Enterprise - there are plenty of genre heroes having fun adventures that don't rely on a constant steam of power-ups and improving abilities and skills as part of their story.

Robin Laws describes them as "iconic heroes" to contrast them to "dramatic heroes" (who go through some sort of developmental arc over the course of their story, at the end being very different than at the beginning - Luke Skywalker, Paul Atreides, etc).

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Feels like there are too many enemies when it doesn't even have all the hero classes...yet?

Also sucks that you can't just pledge $1 and wait to see how the shipping works out without missing out on stuff. I get why they do it but I've seen the shipping work out to be waaaaay more expensive than the estimates several times now

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

this but mechanically

I like RPGs, I like character building, but I could use a little less of games where the progression goes from "pointless training wheels if you've ever played an RPG before" at the low end to "too many powers to keep track of and/or omnicompetent characters who all blur into each other" at the high end.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this but mechanically

I like RPGs, I like character building, but I could use a little less of games where the progression goes from "pointless training wheels if you've ever played an RPG before" at the low end to "too many powers to keep track of and/or omnicompetent characters who all blur into each other" at the high end.

Well it's a drat good game for that. Easy to build a Squirrel Girl or a Spider-Man or hell, a Superman, right out of the gate.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jihad Joe posted:

For those niche folks who aren't completely turned away by the words 3D printable 40K imperial guard army then you're welcome.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/40emperor/azadi-death-front

Oddly it's an army of women but nary a crop top in sight. How peculiar. Still, move with the times I suppose!

That's a cool project that I'm glad exists !

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Wtf is this? Like....why no standees? People love the art, no one wants that ugly 3d-printer poo poo miniature that unneccessarily bloats both the box as well as the price.
Why is there a movement arena in the middle of the gameplay area?? Why do you have movement tiles like that at all? Have these people even played Darkest Dungeon?
Why do they not even offer a standee version? Because it's their "vision"?! Gods, this feels like a bad kickstarter with all regards to a game that should be quite easy
to translate to a boardgame. And naturally, it's been funded in the smallest possible time frame so no one will ever learn anything from that. *sigh*

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it’s probably mini’s because people buy poo poo just for mini’s

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think mechanical progression can be fun (numbers go up!) but it would be nice to see more systems that actually think about what that mechanical development represents in terms of dynamic characters. I want more actual bildungsroman in my TTRPGs. Numbers going up is nice, but tying it to emotional and moral development (for better or for worse) would be a nice angle.

I think Chuubo's MWGE does some of this, with EXP/Quests, but I'd like to see other approaches that make your character's progression character progression. Even if it's on the basic level of 'my mechanical upgrades correspond to the trophies and favors of past victories and the emotional determination and scars gathered from my experiences.'

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr.Misfit posted:

Wtf is this? Like....why no standees? People love the art, no one wants that ugly 3d-printer poo poo miniature that unneccessarily bloats both the box as well as the price.
Why is there a movement arena in the middle of the gameplay area?? Why do you have movement tiles like that at all? Have these people even played Darkest Dungeon?
Why do they not even offer a standee version? Because it's their "vision"?! Gods, this feels like a bad kickstarter with all regards to a game that should be quite easy
to translate to a boardgame. And naturally, it's been funded in the smallest possible time frame so no one will ever learn anything from that. *sigh*

Boardgame KS with minis but no standees are incredibly common. Some of that is because standees and minis scale different from a production standpoint (minis having a larger up-front cost with better per-unit costs), some is demand.

Even things like Gloomhaven eventually got rid of the player standees in the reprints because people wanted minis instead.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Mr.Misfit posted:

The movement mechanic seems completely out of place. The really "boardgamey" bit of darkest dungeon is the whole combat ranks with the interaction with different abilities. That could have just been ported straight over and led to some really interesting tactical coop gameplay.

But no. Here you all are on a map. You have movement points. Walk towards the enemy and hit them. Roll dice to see how much damage you do. It feels extremely lackluster.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

OrthoTrot posted:

The movement mechanic seems completely out of place. The really "boardgamey" bit of darkest dungeon is the whole combat ranks with the interaction with different abilities. That could have just been ported straight over and led to some really interesting tactical coop gameplay.

But no. Here you all are on a map. You have movement points. Walk towards the enemy and hit them. Roll dice to see how much damage you do. It feels extremely lackluster.
My concern is how fiddly everything is and the amount of setup/table space it takes.
I was watching one setup video and if you're playing solo, you have to have all four character boards, a dungeon layout board, a combat stance board, an enemy stance board, all the different decks prepared and shuffled, and a map tile. There's also a town board, but at least you don't need to use it at the same time as everything else (I don't think).

Just seems like a bunch of cardboard that could have been condensed down. I do like the minis and artwork, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

November 2021 is gonna be a no from me dog, particularly when a bunch of my current Kickstarters have posted updates recently announcing delays due to covid/Chinese factories/etc.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

My concern is how fiddly everything is and the amount of setup/table space it takes.
I was watching one setup video and if you're playing solo, you have to have all four character boards, a dungeon layout board, a combat stance board, an enemy stance board, all the different decks prepared and shuffled, and a map tile. There's also a town board, but at least you don't need to use it at the same time as everything else (I don't think).

Just seems like a bunch of cardboard that could have been condensed down. I do like the minis and artwork, though.

Yeah it seems like it would be extremely doable to design a DD board game that captures the essence and atmosphere of the video game while cutting out all the fiddly stuff that is best left to a computer. This seems like it does the exact opposite. Like, why did they put in grid based movement instead of the brilliantly straightforward four-slot positioning system that the game uses? That was begging to be ported to tabletop.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Even things like Gloomhaven eventually got rid of the player standees in the reprints because people wanted minis instead.
I think this works well for Gloomhaven. Having the players pieces be minis but the enemies be standees means you can get a good feel for the board position at a glance and you only need a few minis instead of way too many.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Jimmeeee posted:

Like, why did they put in grid based movement instead of the brilliantly straightforward four-slot positioning system that the game uses? That was begging to be ported to tabletop.

I mean, the slot-based system works really great when you have one player controlling the whole party. But, especially if you're playing a character that's heavily reliant on movement powers like the Hellion or the Jester I can very easily see it being really frustrating to be stuck with nothing cool to do on your turn because jumping to the front of the formation right now would mess up the Highwayman's next turn or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Do i really want to pay 150 bucks for a darkest dungeon plague doctor mini :thunk:

potatocubed posted:

I kinda bounced off the initial email but your appeal here helped. backed and good luck goon