Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Voyeur wife goon is probably the one who was actually masturbating to the video of the baby sitter.

There was never a wife at all

Or a boyfriend

Or a sitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

loquacius posted:

There was never a wife at all

Or a boyfriend

Or a sitter

BRB, gonna go tell M. Night Shyamalan this jerk is ripping off Split.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

omnibobb posted:

Tell me more time travel guy.

I hope time travel guy claimed to be named Biggles during the time travel. Also the Lunar Colonies lights going out means we hosed up somewhere and didn't terraform the moon enough and the colony suffocated to death like what was shown as a threat in Total Recal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7yMe1lGf0U

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Ok, I'm gonna be That Guy and point out that traveling through time but not through space wouldn't actually work because the earth is constantly hurtling through space at unimaginable speeds

An interesting concept for a short story, just pointing out something you might want to address because nobody ever friggin' does :mad:

Ok, I'm gonna be That Other Guy and point out that all motion is relative, and you're making the assumption that time travel would be relative to some arbitrary point in space. There's no reason why time travel couldn't be relative to the location of person doing the traveling.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Its fixed to the gravitational fields, you show up in the same spot on earths surface as you travel the least in 4 dimensional gravity space that way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

runupon cracker posted:

Ok, I'm gonna be That Other Guy and point out that all motion is relative, and you're making the assumption that time travel would be relative to some arbitrary point in space. There's no reason why time travel couldn't be relative to the location of person doing the traveling.

I'm assuming you mean "relative to the Earth's core" because what I've been saying is "20 feet away from where I'm standing right now, but 200 years in the past" would be somewhere in deep space

or do you mean "relative to where I was at the time" because that would also limit you to traveling within your own natural lifespan

At any rate speaking as an engineer being able to pin these coordinates to the core of the Earth would be extremely difficult unless your machine also has some way of knowing where in space the Earth's core was at any given moment of history; making it relative to a specific "beacon" artifact that your machine knows how to find would be easier but you couldn't go back in time to before the artifact was built. Maybe making it relative to the Sun could work? I dunno enough astrophysics to know if that's possible.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When I once considered doing a time travel story, I figured you’d need some sort of timespace-beacon on Earth set up and you couldn’t go any further in the past than that, but you could go ahead in time and gently caress around.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
i think the concept of alternate universes is more likely than time travel per se.

i want to go to the universe that's like this one, but i run the anon fesh page and loquacious hands out hot takes in /r/relationships thread

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I want to go to the universe where the air is made out of wood.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

I'm assuming you mean "relative to the Earth's core" because what I've been saying is "20 feet away from where I'm standing right now, but 200 years in the past" would be somewhere in deep space

or do you mean "relative to where I was at the time" because that would also limit you to traveling within your own natural lifespan

At any rate speaking as an engineer being able to pin these coordinates to the core of the Earth would be extremely difficult unless your machine also has some way of knowing where in space the Earth's core was at any given moment of history; making it relative to a specific "beacon" artifact that your machine knows how to find would be easier but you couldn't go back in time to before the artifact was built. Maybe making it relative to the Sun could work? I dunno enough astrophysics to know if that's possible.

Let me put it another way. When you travel through time, is your location in space going to be your current position relative to the sun? Relative to the center of the galaxy? Relative to the center of the known universe? Because those are going to be three very different locations relative to your current location on Earth. But even those three examples are arbitrary locations. Although it seems natural to treat the center of the known universe as some kind of anchor for an absolute coordinate system, the only reason we consider it to be the center is because of all the stuff moving away from it. In reality, there's no such thing as an absolute position in space.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

runupon cracker posted:

Let me put it another way. When you travel through time, is your location in space going to be your current position relative to the sun? Relative to the center of the galaxy? Relative to the center of the known universe? Because those are going to be three very different locations relative to your current location on Earth. But even those three examples are arbitrary locations. Although it seems natural to treat the center of the known universe as some kind of anchor for an absolute coordinate system, the only reason we consider it to be the center is because of all the stuff moving away from it. In reality, there's no such thing as an absolute position in space.

Ok but you have to define the position somehow because "just where I am now" won't work

Relative to the earth's core would work better but you'd have to make sure your machine knows how to find the Earth's core at any point in history

Like, I'm not speaking from a philosophical standpoint here, I'm speaking from an engineering one, because I am a professional engineer

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
See, I've thought about this before, and I kinda feel like you can handwave it away by understanding that 'time travel' is not just vanishing in 2017 and instantly showing up in 2417 or 1617, but rapidly following a path through spacetime. Particularly with something which can be projected with precision, like the movement of the Earth & Sun, the time machine factors it in and plots you on a (very rapid) spacetime path that winds you up exactly where the Earth should be (or was). You can't travel through time without traveling through space/vice versa, so this may be 'free' transit to some extent.

Time traveling from the cargo hold of a spaceship which later unpredictably accelerates or changes course would wind up with your machine showing up in the vacuum, yeah.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 13, 2018

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Ok but you have to define the position somehow because "just where I am now" won't work

Relative to the earth's core would work better but you'd have to make sure your machine knows how to find the Earth's core at any point in history

Like, I'm not speaking from a philosophical standpoint here, I'm speaking from an engineering one, because I am a professional engineer

but if your machine is always in the same position relative to the Earth's core, it doesn't need to find the Earth's core, because it hasn't moved.

there is no such thing as an absolute point in space

edit: let me put this another other way - there is no such thing as absolute movement, including no movement. You cannot say that any object in the universe is absolutely stationary. Everything in the universe can only be considered in motion or stationary relative to some other object. The assumption you're making here is that when an object travels through time, it remains stationary relative to some other object. This is not necessarily the case. If it is necessarily the case, what other object does it stay stationary relative to, and why?

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 13, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

runupon cracker posted:

but if your machine is always in the same position relative to the Earth's core, it doesn't need to find the Earth's core, because it hasn't moved.

so

you are assuming that your time machine has always existed and will always exist

ok sure if you're taking that as a given, then ok, I just didn't realize we were discussing a Lovecraft scenario

e: wait you appear to be saying that all positions are meaningless??? That's philosophy talk, not engineering talk. I'm not in the business of discussing what an absolute location means, but to define a location it has to be relative to a known quantity, whether that's The Center Of The Universe or something else where you always know exactly where it is. The earth's core at any given point in history is not a known quantity. A "beacon" thing would be a known quantity, but only for points in time after it is built.

I dunno, if you want to write this loving algorithm, go nuts buddy

loquacius fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 13, 2018

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

so

you are assuming that your time machine has always existed and will always exist

ok sure if you're taking that as a given, then ok, I just didn't realize we were discussing a Lovecraft scenario

not at all, see my edit

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

runupon cracker posted:

not at all, see my edit

To keep us from getting bogged down in the metaphysical weeds: you're right that we can't define A Single Stationary Point, but one thing we can safely assume would NOT work is ignoring location completely, because the Earth is pretty objectively not stationary (SEE: the time of day changes; the seasons change). So, we need to define what location our time machine goes to relative to something; I suggested the Earth's core, but for that to work you'd need to be able to find it with absolute certainty at any point in history, which is a little harder to solve. Hence the "beacon" thing.

Also once this problem is solved you'd have to make sure that your machine is actually capable of getting to that point somehow which is where you start getting lost in the weeds w/r/t gravitational fields and spacetime flows and etc etc etc time travel isn't possible

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Time traveler goon: in the future does everyone use Fahrenheit or Celsius?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
where punching through space-time is a real thing, whether or not you wind up near something (or some place) is entirely up to the mechanics you've made up to explain your time travel.

There's no absolute point of reference in the universe. Even time itself is relative - if you traveled 100 years into the future on Earth, only 1 additional year has passed on some other planet with tons more gravity.

Thinking of "issues" with time travel is just as creative an exercise as thinking of mechanisms for time travel, and equally unverifiable.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

To keep us from getting bogged down in the metaphysical weeds: you're right that we can't define A Single Stationary Point, but one thing we can safely assume would NOT work is ignoring location completely, because the Earth is pretty objectively not stationary (SEE: the time of day changes; the seasons change). So, we need to define what location our time machine goes to relative to something; I suggested the Earth's core, but for that to work you'd need to be able to find it with absolute certainty at any point in history, which is a little harder to solve. Hence the "beacon" thing.

Also once this problem is solved you'd have to make sure that your machine is actually capable of getting to that point somehow which is where you start getting lost in the weeds w/r/t gravitational fields and spacetime flows and etc etc etc time travel isn't possible

Once again, the Earth is not "objectively" in motion. Your very examples of the time of day and seasons occur specifically because the Earth is in motion relative to the sun. The Earth is also pretty stationary relative to lots of things... satellites in geosynchronous orbit, me (at the moment).

Why do you assume that an object traveling through time must remain motionless relative to some specific object?

Edit: I think we may have to just agree to disagree on this one!

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 13, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

runupon cracker posted:

Once again, the Earth is not "objectively" in motion. Your very examples of the time of day and seasons occur specifically because the Earth is in motion relative to the sun. The Earth is also pretty stationary relative to lots of things... satellites in geosynchronous orbit, me (at the moment).

Why do you assume that an object traveling through time must remain motionless relative to some specific object?

I'm not. I'm trying to conceptualize how to tell your time machine where to appear after it accomplishes the already-impossible task of moving backward or forward in time. I am an engineer. Stuff like this is my job. Pointing out that stationary positions don't really exist in a way we can quantify is proving my point, really, in that there is no proper way to do this unless you have something you can home into.

I dunno dude, gonna refer back to this post

loquacius posted:

if you want to write this loving algorithm, go nuts buddy

bc blarzgh is right and this is all navelgazing

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wizard.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
tfw there’s a bunch of new posts in this thread and i’m hoping it’s confessions but its some nerd poo poo like metric v imperial or time travel

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
From a few pages back, but curse jar goon - if you simply bury the jar at a crossroads or drop it into a source of running water (like a river or stream, not your bathtub) you should be fine. I mean, if you believe in witchcraft. A bunch of websites talk about you having to join some group or learn magic, but you really don't.

Witchcraft today is really a christian religious tradition from the Middle Ages, and is founded on many christian rituals and practices. Books like the Malleus Maleficarum and what not explain that breaking curses/spells is pretty easy.

Don't leave it buried in the backyard, don't break it and don't burn it. I'm reading through that slog of a book right now in my senior semester, which is why I brought it up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Time traveler goon: in the future does everyone use Fahrenheit or Celsius?

I need to know this answer right goddamned now!

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
Og Loq you're a smart guy and it hurts me to see you shamed by an anime av like this. You're an engineer, idk what kind but my only experience is structural so I'm gonna use that. Surveyors put down lot markers, defined by a positions relationship to established landmarks (nowdays to gps satellites). The position of a buildings foundation is defined by its relationship with those markers. The windows, doors, and walls positions are defined by their relationships to the foundation. That these points are arbitrary *does not matter*, only their relationships to each other. gently caress Newton, it's Einstein's time to shine. Your machine doesn't need to try and locate itself based off the immutable center of a static universe, only maintain its relationship with Earth.

Also orbital mechanics aren't super hard and it would probably just be way easier to just calculate that poo poo out ahead of time. Then your machine just has to maintain a relationship with your point of origin, which should be trivial especially with the limitation that you stay on earth

The hard part of this is the ??? manipulate fourth dimension ???, not 'hurr how do i locate myself in space'. You've been doing that part over and over and over every day since the spatial reasoning bits of your brain grew in as a wee babe

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Also orbital mechanics aren't super hard and it would probably just be way easier to just calculate that poo poo out ahead of time. Then your machine just has to maintain a relationship with your point of origin, which should be trivial especially with the limitation that you stay on earth
Assuming you want a point on the surface, you also need to worry a bit about continental drift and other forms of geographical change, but for short trips this is probably not a big deal, and you can always test your time machine by putting a camera in it and setting it to take a few pictures then immediately return.

Once you've done all this, you can change your destination point without too much effort, meaning that teleportation is a special case of time travel (that only travels in space, not in time).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Og Loq you're a smart guy and it hurts me to see you shamed by an anime av like this. You're an engineer, idk what kind but my only experience is structural so I'm gonna use that. Surveyors put down lot markers, defined by a positions relationship to established landmarks (nowdays to gps satellites). The position of a buildings foundation is defined by its relationship with those markers. The windows, doors, and walls positions are defined by their relationships to the foundation. That these points are arbitrary *does not matter*, only their relationships to each other. gently caress Newton, it's Einstein's time to shine. Your machine doesn't need to try and locate itself based off the immutable center of a static universe, only maintain its relationship with Earth.

The hard part of this is the ??? manipulate fourth dimension ???, not 'hurr how do i locate myself in space'. You've been doing that part over and over and over every day since the spatial reasoning bits of your brain grew in as a wee babe

I'm a software engineer aka the guy who would have to write this code

How does a machine moving through time "maintain its relationship with Earth" pls, what does that mean? Limiting the machine to appearing on Earth is the entire problem here and can't be handwaved away like that.

Also the human brain doing something for free does not mean it's easy to code. Computer vision is the science of teaching a computer to do something we've all been doing over and over every day since the visual cortex bits of our brains grew in as a wee babe, and after years of heavily-invested research it still hasn't advanced to the point where computers can reliably solve captchas

I agree that orbital mechanics is a possible solution if you can figure out how to position your machine relative to the Sun, but that's not free either and the photography solution only works if you trust yourself to make this decision based on a photo

e: amended the bullshit part, that only made its way into the post because I'm mad at a work thing rn

loquacius fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 13, 2018

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
Sorry by 'maintain a relationship with' I mean 'maintain its position in relation to'. What says that this planet and our machine have to be separated by the process of temporal displacement? If our machine maintains a position relative to its point of origin rather than the sun or the center of the universe or whatever the problem kinda solves itself. None of those are really any more 'fixed' than the earths own position. Not saying 'I figured it out, who's writing the grant' but I think runupon cracker's logic is good enough not to annoy me in my sci-fi

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
Like, relativity is some crazy poo poo and definitely has philosophical implications if you want to think about them but it's also the most best model we've got rn. It's not saying 'all positions are meaningless' but rather that their significance is derived from their relationships to one another

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Stfu about fake time travel nonsense imo

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
haha "if you time traveled you'd end up in loving space" vs "nah you can like, make algorithm" is my favorite derail ever, hats off to the puppetmaster for another win

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Like, relativity is some crazy poo poo and definitely has philosophical implications if you want to think about them but it's also the most best model we've got rn. It's not saying 'all positions are meaningless' but rather that their significance is derived from their relationships to one another

For the record, I've never disputed this, only said that the target location has to be relative to something you can reliably find, and that's the hardest piece of the puzzle

Relative to "its own point of origin" doesn't really help either if you're traveling to before the machine was built but I'm done being mad at code and moving on to cooking dinner now so we can table this

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
if you have the tech to gently caress around with time, your place & moving in 3D space is going to be irrelevant :hydrogen:

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

This whole derail becomes moot when you remember that backwards time travel is mechanistically equivalent to faster than light travel through space.

EDIT:

Basically everyone's talking like there's two problems- travelling through time and travelling through space. These are actually the same, to travel to say, the year 1482 from your current location on Earth is literally 100% equivalent to making an FTL jump to wherever Earth was at that point in time. The idea that you could do one but not the other is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of relativity, no philosophy involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

Jeremiah Flintwick fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 13, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

loq, read Einstein's book on relativity. the point everyone else is making will become clear.

and if you can't just accept how relativity works, think about his explanation of gravity. your time machine likely would just use the depression in the universal gravity field as its point of reference to maintain location.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

quote:

Nothing comes with me, just my naked self.

So if you're just chilling at home and you travel to before you owned the place...
What I'm trying to say is that some family had to move because a naked 30-something goon kept randomly appearing on their couch lol

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

The Mighty Moltres posted:

So if you're just chilling at home and you travel to before you owned the place...
What I'm trying to say is that some family had to move because a naked 30-something goon kept randomly appearing on their couch lol

dont dox me

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Mighty Moltres posted:

why do you need time travel for this?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
poo poo I moved to my current place because it wasn't happening at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Travel through time via my rear end in a top hat it is a time portal and portal to alternative realities