Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Do you not know about the word payed? lol.

Payed is a nautical term that doesn't fit here so it's still wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Prescriptivism, especially in the giant clusterfuck of stupid that is English spelling, is dumb as gently caress. I hope teachers teach kids that judging someone by their spelling is nothing more than elitism.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I got a prescription for you, for some better spelling.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Zurtilik posted:

I got a prescription for you, for some better spelling.

Amnesiac rerelease looking weird

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

bike tory posted:

Anyway the point is that truly gifted and talented kids are rare. I've taught like over 500 kids now and had one that would genuinely fit that category.

That’s about right for the number you would encounter. It’s a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Friend of mine is a teacher and he doesn't know the difference between "to" and "too".

But yeah prescriptivism lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't know what you're talking about, but kids make for a terrible gift. Worse even than plants or pets.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Maybe we shouldn't be trying to determine which kids are superior at age 8.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Relyssa posted:

Payed is a nautical term that doesn't fit here so it's still wrong.

A) The poster I quoted is still wrong.
2) English is literally vibes based.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

you are welcome to change the spelling of words but you kinda need to bring 51% of people along with you as well

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

Zurtilik posted:

The problem is perceiving it as desirable. I think we should put it on the autism spectrum. And they turn out like everybody else anyway. Anecdotally dead drug addicts, to retail clerks, to successful professionals to Oscar winners. The data suggests the same that it doesn’t really do much other than a moderate income bump.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

you are welcome to change the spelling of words but you kinda need to bring 51% of people along with you as well

if you understood what the word meant it was spelled correctly

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

It's the white male ones with rich parents.

Data Graham posted:

Friend of mine is a teacher and he doesn't know the difference between "to" and "too".

But yeah prescriptivism lol

That's a stupid distinction though. No one is gonna misunderstand either way. It's elitism all the way down.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Lt. Danger posted:

Actually the metaphysical acceptability threshold is lower than that and this conversation pushed "payed" past the limit

We did it

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lol

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

peigh'd

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

[listens to American elders] Dennis was right :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought american dennis the menace was a family circus-tier silly little scamp, it's british dennis the menace who terrorises his town with increasingly elaborate water gun and rotten fruit based pranks

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

[listens to American elders] Dennis was right :colbert:

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Dabir posted:

I thought american dennis the menace was a family circus-tier silly little scamp, it's british dennis the menace who terrorises his town with increasingly elaborate water gun and rotten fruit based pranks

Both strips debuted on the exact same day in 1951 by total coincidence

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fors Yard posted:

Teach the Dennis The Menace Conspiracy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fors Yard posted:

It was even crazier when they eventually did the crossover and both Dennises found out they have the same father. (The American Dennis’s dad has an affair with the British Dennis’s mom when he was stationed in London during WW2.)

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I've been a huge Beano fan since I was a wee boy in the 80s and I did not know that

Jesus

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's wilder is that France had their own version as well, Denis the Menace (Menace pronounced by the French is "m'knee").

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Lobok posted:

What's wilder is that France had their own version as well, Denis the Menace (Menace pronounced by the French is "m'knee").

What the gently caress?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I have only the worst original memes to offer.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

SimonSays posted:

What the gently caress?

Its France. Pretend it isnt real and itll go away eventually.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dabir posted:

He may have done some actual menacing early on but these days here's even less of a menace than the family circus kids.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Shithouse Dave posted:

Knit the donger a wee scarf for when it’s cold

I thought he needed food

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Its France. Pretend it isnt real and itll go away eventually.

Pretend? France is as real as Atlantis, Wakanda and New Zealand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

Prescriptivism, especially in the giant clusterfuck of stupid that is English spelling, is dumb as gently caress. I hope teachers teach kids that judging someone by their spelling is nothing more than elitism.

ITT Danes undermine our language.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BonHair posted:

Pretend? France is as real as Atlantis, Wakanda and New Zealand.
And shows up on more maps than the other three combined!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just remembered there's an election coming.

Re: Paavo there's an old lady who lives just a little ways from the local pub. She used to come in with her rollator (not going to bother looking up what you hosed-up weirdo Anglos call them), park it by the door, and spend the day drinking Koskenkorva drinks by herself. Sometimes she'd interject something into conversations, though. Like I mentioned Paavo and she went "Oh Paavo, I've always liked Paavo Väyrynen!" and everyone was just "uh OK". Some time later I said something about Hitler and she said "Oh Adolf Hitler, I've always liked Adolf Hitler!".

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Re: Paavo there's an old lady who lives just a little ways from the local pub. She used to come in with her rollator

They're called Piccadillies, got a whole circus of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

whoda thunkit posted:

They're called Piccadillies, got a whole circus of them.

Maybe she had a piccadilly with Paavo and Adolf.