Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Munchables posted:

Don't know if anyone's posted it already, but idubbbzTV's kicnstarter crap and indiegogo excrement series' are wonderful fonts of tripe, such as SimB2B, a sad fat businessman's justification for playing second life.

I found that segment hilarious, but I'm wondering if these guys were inspired by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar conducting his early business through his SL avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I'm just happy they have this handy diagram.

I'm the arrow pointing at the simple design.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Even with a reliable power source (ie not a tiny lovely solar cell, but just plugged in to the mains) this thing would probably take a week to fill up.

Do people actually think this thing will magically fill up after they've been hiking for an hour? We have a dehumidifier in our kitchen (we have a dampness problem :britain:), and it's on practically all day, and even then it takes a little over a week to fill up its 3.5 liter tank. So if this tiny water bottle somehow packed the efficiency of a full sized compressor, it'd still take approximately two days to fill up!

I feel like everyone is taking crazy pills. :(

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Maybe you're supposed to piss in it?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

unless you're wandering through a desert how is this in any way preferable to carrying around water purification tablets or a charcoal filter or whatever. and on a bicycle couldn't you do the traditional thing and just carry the amount of water you might need for your trip?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wow. I don't see this progress bar moving anytime soon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Paladinus posted:

Maybe you're supposed to piss in it?

Are we still talking about the taco pod machine

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

amusinginquiry posted:

you forgot about bob's game

I like to think he's out there now, cruisin in his hack van, livin the dream

I thought he didn't actually buy the van. He took the money and ran moved into his parents' basement and "became god."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wow. I don't see this progress bar moving anytime soon.

Not surprising they went with Indie Go Go instead of Kickstarter seeing as the rules say you actually have to have a working prototype.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

EEVblog did a pretty good breakdown on how bogus this thing is today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhnoSREmWVY

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

muscles like this? posted:

Not surprising they went with Indie Go Go instead of Kickstarter seeing as the rules say you actually have to have a working prototype.

But they're halfway there - they have a non-working prototype, so that's pretty good.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

klafbang posted:

But they're halfway there - they have a non-working prototype, so that's pretty good.

Yeah didn't you see the check mark? Obviously it's like, nearly completely finalized. Don't ruin our artisinal bespoke self-refilling water bottles.

edit: I'm surprised it didn't have a companion app.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Young Freud posted:

I found that segment hilarious, but I'm wondering if these guys were inspired by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar conducting his early business through his SL avatar.

Whoa, how bizarre. If you told me you were a rich billionaire but I had to do business with you through Second Life I would assume you were just completely full of poo poo. I'm surprised he got people to play along, but I guess that's the difference between a millionaire and a billionaire.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I'm just happy they have this handy diagram.

I'm the arrow pointing at the simple design.

I'm the statement that you don't need to plan your hiking trip around water resources.

That could end in an interesting liability case or two.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Its going to suck for the post office shipping those water bottles because they'll pack them empty but they'll fill with water while they're being delivered

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Madcosby posted:

Its going to suck for the post office shipping those water bottles because they'll pack them empty but they'll fill with water while they're being delivered

This made me laugh.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Harveygod posted:

This made me laugh.

That's because it was funny.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

quote:

We cannot guarantee that Fontus will deliver a constant water output in all conditions and may produce little or no water at all under some conditions.

Even if the thing worked this would directly contradicts the "No need to plan trip around water resources" bullet point. Oops, it turned out to be less humid than I expected; now I'm dead.

"No excess waste" isn't really a factor since normal not-magic water bottles exist.

And looking at their impossibly high "efficiency factors" at 60% humidity and 5 hours with the ride and another 2.5 hours with the airo you'd get about two liters, so you'd need supplemental water anyway.

Even if their impossible claims were true the only situation where you'd get enough water is if you are staying in the same place all day.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
also nighttime

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
:350:: Hey, did you ever wonder why they're called "pants"? What if you only had, like... one pant?
:cocaine: We'll make millions!
:drugnerd: We'll call it... the Pant-Alone!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

After The War posted:

:350:: Hey, did you ever wonder why they're called "pants"? What if you only had, like... one pant?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

After The War posted:

Its getting harder and harder to believe these things are even real. What the hell...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

After The War posted:

Ah yes, for all the times I want mismatched red/blue pants! Fantastic!

loving :lol:

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

After The War posted:

Haha, for $50 you get a single legs worth of pant, which is the only thing dumber than buying two and zipping them together.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

After The War posted:

This is some grad student's social experiment. It has to be.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Gutcruncher posted:

Its getting harder and harder to believe these things are even real. What the hell...

the sole comment is .. uh

Blaize Norton-Wisla posted:

There's so much to be excited about here, but what Keith said about choice really got me thinking...so let's dig into the numbers!

+++Getting onto the same page+++
First, we need a way to consider how *buying* pants influences your *choices* once you own pants. Here's a few definitions we'll want to discuss some of the basic cases:
1) Total Pants Purchase (TPP) - Simply the number of individual pants in the set of pants we are considering.
2) Effective Pants Purchase (EPP) - The raw number of unique pant combinations allowed by your TNPP.
3) Effective Pants Purchase Ratio (EPPR) - The ratio of your EPP to your TPP. A higher EPPR means *more choice*!

+++Where We Are Today+++
OK, back to it! In the past, when you bought pants, you've been limited in choice in two key ways:
1) You've been locked into getting ONE pair of pants for every TWO pants purchased (EPPR *fixed* at 0.5)!
2) If you could find a way to buy a single pant, it wouldn't actually change the total number of pants you've purchased (EPP unchanged even though your TPP went up)!

Modeling current state gives us the strictly *linear* equation [ EPP = TPP/2 ]. That's just a straight line! Here's some EPPRs if you're having trouble visualizing:
1:2
2:4
3:6
...you get the idea! Bottom line: *limited choice*.

+++The Future+++
Now, here's the fun part: let's explore where Pant Alone can take us!

Note: For our purposes here, we'll consider a specific version of the TPP, the Total Normal Pants Purchase (TNPP) that assumes an even (+/- 1) distribution of left and right legs, ie a Normal Pants Distribution (NPD).

Modeling Pant Alone, the equation we get is the *quadratic* function [ EPPR = (TNPP\2)^2 + (TNPP mod 2)*(TNPP\2) ]! That means as you buy more pants, you get more choice at an *increasing rate*! Your EPPR goes up!

Just take a look at these numbers:
1:2
2:3
4:4 (EPPR of 1!)
5:6
6:9
7:12
8:16 (EPPR of 2!)
9:20
10:25
11:30
12:36 (EPPR of 3!)

And the great thing is, this is true no matter how many pants you buy! You've already increased your TPP *and* your EPPR by buying just a third pant!

...and I feel like this is just the beginning!

I hope you're all as excited as I am to see what the Pants Alone team has in store for the future!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
So more parts equals better pants then, I'll show them by making some that just go zipper, colored rubber band zipper to make the best pants ever.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

They're really missing a trick by not having switchable pockets too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maw posted:

They're really missing a trick by not having switchable pockets too.

Okay, hear me out here ..... switchable pants that also have switchable pant legs, so not only can you have 4 different colours at the same time but you can also leave off the legs and then they're shorts! Also t-shirts with zips so you can attach your pants legs and your pants pocket to the t-shirt and turn it into a polo!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
So essentially you'll be walking around looking like a Battenberg cake?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Okay, hear me out here ..... switchable pants that also have switchable pant legs, so not only can you have 4 different colours at the same time but you can also leave off the legs and then they're shorts! Also t-shirts with zips so you can attach your pants legs and your pants pocket to the t-shirt and turn it into a polo!

The detachable legs for shorts is a thing that already exists or has existed in the past.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

muscles like this? posted:

The detachable legs for shorts is a thing that already exists or has existed in the past.

i think this entire thing used to be de rigeur in medieval villages, i remember seeing once a picture of peasants with pant legs tied individually to their underwear. it looked less stupid because they didn't have a zip circumnavigating their taints

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
What I want to know is if they are going to also design a zippable codpiece for their pants

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

What I want to know is if they are going to also design a zippable codpiece for their pants

Stretch goal

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

http://www.waverlylabs.com/#_features So this popped up on my Facebook feed. Who else wants to be serenaded by the dulcet tones of Google Translate?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Gutcruncher posted:

Once, having crazy people beg you for money was the province of fat cats, robber barons, and old world nobility. But now, thanks to Kickstarter, that privilege belongs to everyone.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1568956838/oppai-go

A card game about anime girls stripping each other

All you need to know is this (NWS for panty shot)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Zanzibar Ham posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1568956838/oppai-go

A card game about anime girls stripping each other

All you need to know is this (NWS for panty shot)

Why is that man wearing a small girl's underwear?

... Why does he have access to a child's underwear?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Non Serviam posted:

Why is that man wearing a small girl's underwear?

... Why does he have access to a child's underwear?

Anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Not even once.