Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Pick posted:

i will beat the loving poo poo out of anyone who calls a crane fly aka tipuloidid a daddy long-legs i swear to god

We always called 'em skeeter eaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
yeah . . . .... rocks are cool

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Coolest of all are rocks that used to be animals.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Pick posted:

i will beat the loving poo poo out of anyone who calls a crane fly aka tipuloidid a daddy long-legs i swear to god
when you're done I'll beat the poo poo out of them again if they call crane flies "mosquito hawks" and claim they eat mosquitoes, for gently caress's sake they don't eat anything, they just knock around like idiots for a couple days then die.

incidentally the wikipedia entry about crane flies is awful, someone should do something about that.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Nessa posted:

one of the ones i posted used to be animals too because it was a limestone

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
you know whats cool? things you make in the lab yourself

look at the crusty ball i made

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

did you deep fry em

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Donkay NOoo posted:

did you deep fry em

yes, it was a very scientific process

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Nessa posted:

*flips table*

I'M DONE

DONE

*speedwalks out of room with arms in the air*

DONE

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Chiba City Blues posted:

you know whats cool? things you make in the lab yourself

look at the crusty ball i made

niiiiceeeeeeeeee

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Pick posted:

niiiiceeeeeeeeee

im so proud, my first research product :qq:

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Pick posted:

?

It's a sea butterfly, aka a thecosomatid.

Naw, with the tenticles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlc7r34Sh-c

Portals posted:

you need to post some cephalopods
Well my avatar, for one...

http://ferrebeekeeper.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/flamboyant_cuttlefish_hatchling_07l.jpg%3Fw%3D490%26h%3D343

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

this post has very good things in it

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Nessa posted:

the coolest animal of all is man.

sorry i have an anthropologist for a sister.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Obligatory Toast posted:

even the ones at comic con

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

bismuth is pretty cool

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Portals posted:

bismuth is pretty cool

Bismuth is what the future looks like

is it poison? Can I wear it around?

these are things I am going to ask google

I could be sailor moon

https://www.etsy.com/listing/106633648/copper-crescent-moon-pendant-and?ref=shop_home_active_4

Or I can get a billion gears and detract from the shape and crystaline structure of the metal by making it steampunk

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/miniature-bronze-steampunk-bismuth-crystal-pendant-heather-jordan.html
god why

Serious Cephalopod fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 31, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
not poison yes jewlery

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pick posted:

even the ones at comic con

from a historical or anthropological point of view, coming up with that thing is interesting as hell

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Or I can get a billion gears and detract from the shape and crystaline structure of the metal by making it steampunk

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/miniature-bronze-steampunk-bismuth-crystal-pendant-heather-jordan.html
god why
considering i have read steampunk novels, i am 100% ok with the entire aesthetic being reduced to "slap some loving cogs on it, call it a day."

but no, really bismuth rules and doesn't deserve that poo poo

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Obligatory Toast posted:

considering i have read steampunk novels, i am 100% ok with the entire aesthetic being reduced to "slap some loving cogs on it, call it a day."

but no, really bismuth rules and doesn't deserve that poo poo

When I was a lass, I thought steampunk clothing was sexy, and then I realized I just have a thing for men in waist synchers. Oh, the folly of youth.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I love this thread. Also, I am going out drinking in the Honcho tonight. Chu hi's later. First a nice pint with my fellow sad homies.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
my friend who lives like a block away came over tonight! he brought some wine and we all celebrated chinese new year by burning a cute little papier-mâche mansion and sports car. adorbs as heck

xinnian kuaile folks, live it up and set fire to some poo poo

e: now i'm gonna set fire to some dank weed and honour the ancestors that way

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 31, 2014

with extra cheese
Oct 27, 2010

a dozen swans posted:

my friend who lives like a block away came over tonight! he brought some wine and we all celebrated chinese new year by burning a cute little papier-mâche mansion and sports car. adorbs as heck

xinnian kuaile folks, live it up and set fire to some poo poo

e: now i'm gonna set fire to some dank weed and honour the ancestors that way

Gong hei fat choi!

Traditionally new year's eve is when all the family gathers together and you have a giant feast to kick off a prosperous year and poo poo. My family celebrated by eating leftovers. (It was awesome.)

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

with extra cheese posted:

Gong hei fat choi!

Traditionally new year's eve is when all the family gathers together and you have a giant feast to kick off a prosperous year and poo poo. My family celebrated by eating leftovers. (It was awesome.)

it's not chinese new year until the smoke detector goes off

(also that sound rad i'm glad you had a good day)

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Nessa posted:

I may try that. I've also seen these pastel colour "hair chalks" all over the place. I assume they're only for like a night on the town, but I kinda wanted to try the dusty rose one I saw.

I'm not sure what color your hair is, but those don't really work on darker hair. They work okay on medium hair, and great on lighter hair.
There's also a hair pigment that people claim works better on all types of hair, generally, from the brand Anastasia. I haven't tried them personally.

t_violet posted:

BTW, the sad face wasn't 'cause of your gender, it's 'cause I basically have the haircut you described but didn't realize other women thought I was trashy. At least not for my hair. For my heels and coke whore acrylic nails, sure, but I always thought my high undercut bob was kinda classy. :(

I've only encountered a small subset of women who think that any undercut at all is trashy, and they tend to have very traditional ideas regarding how women should look. There are more who find it trashy when it's just a middling undercut and no hairstyle.

Honestly though, whatever. If the occasional person decides you're 'trashy' because of your hair, it's not like you're going to want much to do with the anyway 99% of the time.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yeah but I'm so white I'm translucent so gaaaah.

Also I've thought of dyeing my hair but since its just a few shades away from black anyway there's no point :(

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

I want light lavender/pinkish hair so drat bad but I'm scared of bleaching my dark brown hair and loving it up forever. But I work from home so this is like my one chance since I was a cowardly teen/college student.

Both of you, if those shades are your natural hair color, then bleaching and dyeing or just dyeing will work just fine, and without destroying your hair. Natural dark brown hair usually lifts to a lemony-blonde with a bleach kit, and then you can use a toner if you're worried the lemony tint will mess with the lavender pink. Natural black hair will lift to either lemony-blonde or orangey-blonde, varies from person to person, with a bleach kit, and again, there are different toners to remove different 'remnant' tones.
I'm not a cosmetologist or anything, I've just dyed my and other's hair awesome colors a lot. An actual hairdresser would be able to give you more info. Possibly the internet could as well.

If the dark brown is dyed, it's still possible to lift, although it will be rougher on your hair. Hair is pretty easy to repair, though. And steps that help color last longer (sulfate-free shampoos and cleansing conditioners, washing less frequently) also help your hair recover.

I just freakin' love having gorgeously unnatural hair color, and want everyone to enjoy doing so if they want to.

Speaking of, I dyed my hair again to get more green. It worked! It's a bunch of different greens with some blue highlights (especially in yellowish lighting) but it's a lot closer to what I was going for.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
That's a great loving color, if I decided to dye sometime I would go either for that, or for a dark amethyst kind of deal. I enjoy my natural silver streaks too much though.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I went to a friends house and drank cheap apricot cider, then wandered through Chinatown and watched fan dancers (so pretty!) and dancing dragons, then ended up at a German sausage house for pretzels on the way to the bus stop. This was a good night.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

this thread has the best pics

Also that's an amazing green Fabulist

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 4, 2014

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Fabulist posted:

I've only encountered a small subset of women who think that any undercut at all is trashy, and they tend to have very traditional ideas regarding how women should look. There are more who find it trashy when it's just a middling undercut and no hairstyle.

Honestly though, whatever. If the occasional person decides you're 'trashy' because of your hair, it's not like you're going to want much to do with the anyway 99% of time.

I actually wasn't really worried about it but I guess my post sounded more serious than I intended. But thank you for the kind words. And your hair looks incredible. I've always wanted to try dying my hair and exotic color but its a natural red which is impossible to strip back to blond to dye. (Red hair just doesn't bleach, I've tried strips and even the strongest stuff took forever and only faded it a little)

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
So I opened the door to let the dog out while wearing only a tshirt and underwear and after all this subzero bullshit, 28 degrees felt downright balmy. From -20 to 28 is a difference of almost 50 degrees. The mind boggles. Winter storm warning for tomorrow though. So excited for that :dance:

I was sleeping during hairchat: Mine is not any interesting colors other than it being blonde/dark blonde/red all at the same time naturally, it's long enough to tuck into my pants, and I have concerns I may eventually be mistaken for a sister-wife.

I have trust issues with hairdressers. I've had it long for years. A while back (>5 years) I went to a hairdresser who decided my "Six inches please and thank you" meant it was ok for her to say WHILE CUTTING "I'm going to make it an even 10 inches off so you can donate it to (a charity)." What? gently caress you. I didn't give you permission to do that and it's pretty unethical (do hairdressers have an ethics code?) to tell me you're going to do what you feel like doing while in the middle of doing it. I'm not begrudging a wig to people who need one, but you know what? I'm getting these six inches cut off because it's the remnants of when I used to lighten it, it's split and unhealthy, and no one is going to want to stick something like looks like that on their head. Including me. Which is why I'm asking you to cut it off. Wig charities throw out the majority of donated hair, and my guess is that this was going to be part of it.

So yeah. Hairdresser trust issues.

I probably should get into a situation where I'm not sleeping when everyone else is awake. Who needs a social life, anyway :sigh:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Obligatory Toast posted:

sorry i have an anthropologist for a sister.

no dinosaurs are cooler

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The Iberian fighting bull is my favorite because they taste good and will loving murder you at all cost.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Thora posted:

I probably should get into a situation where I'm not sleeping when everyone else is awake. Who needs a social life, anyway :sigh:

graveyard shift fo lyfe

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

I like money more than I like socializing apparently. I get paid nicely to not have a life.

Also: Black Angus = tastiest cow

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ha ha ha ha

Come back after you've had roasted bull tail from a free ranged, no hormone injected, aggressive as gently caress monster of an animal that died in venerable arena combat.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

The tail is better than a steak part? The things you learn in the ladythread.

The cow in my earlier post was free range no hormone and aggressive (probably not murderbull aggressive though) and her name was Midnight :3:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When I get the chance I will upload snow puppy pictures for y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Thora posted:

The tail is better than a steak part? The things you learn in the ladythread.

The cow in my earlier post was free range no hormone and aggressive (probably not murderbull aggressive though) and her name was Midnight :3:

Tail and tongue are some of the best cuts. Also pig cheek is a cut they call "el secreto" because the story goes that butchers would keep it for themselves and not sell that part. It's also really fuckin good.

• Locked thread