Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

jerichojx posted:

Whirlwind looks cool. How viable is a whirlwind build?

Whirling Blades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Cyclone is very viable for a lot of different builds. Whirling Blades is viable specifically for trigger builds-- stuff like Cast on Crit + Discharge + Assassin ascendancy or Cospri's Malice + Discharge. The nature of WB spell trigger builds means it's very expensive to get off the ground compared to Cyclone, though, and it can't do any of the end-game bosses.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Awesome! posted:

mathils kb/barrage wand character was disgusting but i think it is fairly reliant on the +2 barrage enchant for sick single target

Is that the Occultist?

I'll Path of Building it I reckon. I think ele wander is a given with Avatar of the Veil, so that means no poison. If I'm going for max mobility/fun, QoTF + eva shield means mad evasion and movespeed. I would want to compare a Hysteria vs Horror KB 4L, but Alpha's is pretty juicy as a helm, and I guess I'll compare Thunderfist in the glove slot too. If I get the mana reservation cluster by Ranger I can run Wrath, HoT, and Grace on mana. HoT linked to curse on hit probably, but I'm not sure what curse to use. Flaskfinder might be strictly better, but also more expensive, and I am bad at flask piano.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
PSA: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/5uhtlo/ancient_uniques_confirmed/dduak2r/

Foil legacy uniques are functionally legacy uniques and if you try to re-roll w a divine, you will get the updated/nerfed values instead. Whoops. On the plus side, this is great for legacy uniques that got buffed. Divining a foil unique WILL keep the foil.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Can you corrupt them? The good news is that even if you brick them your balls have still doubled in size.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Freezing Pulse.
First Snow.
GMP.
Sire of Shards.
Double Snakepits.

Let's loving go.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 17, 2017

J
Jun 10, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Can you corrupt them? The good news is that even if you brick them your balls have still doubled in size.

Yeah, Ziggy corrupts one of them at the end of this video

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Do we know when the 2.6 patch notes are dropping?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Bluemillion posted:

Freezing Pulse.
First Snow.
GMP.
Sire of Shards.

Let's loving go.

you forgot the double snakepits

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

panda clue posted:

you forgot the double snakepits

Corrected. Lord, is a scion even partway viable for the deadeye node? I mean, the real Deadeye gives me projectile speed and crit chance, even with a completely useless ascendency node in the way of the extra projectile. Whereas with Scion they're pretty much all useless nodes.

whypick1 posted:

Unless they change their MO with 3.0 coming out, yes.

You could probably one punch God with that setup :stare:

Well we'll get to find out, won't we?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The only reason Ascendant isn't the worst ascendancy is because Saboteur exists.

e:

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/832464292066709504

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 17, 2017

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I wish they'd buff the lesser used ascendancies like they did with Raider, which I feel is in a good place right now. Both Ascendant and Saboteur are pretty bad in comparison to the other choices, and I feel like Gladiator could also use some love.

Does anyone have the statistics on what ascendancy classes were most popular in Breach?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mystery Prize posted:

I wish they'd buff the lesser used ascendancies like they did with Raider, which I feel is in a good place right now. Both Ascendant and Saboteur are pretty bad in comparison to the other choices, and I feel like Gladiator could also use some love.

Does anyone have the statistics on what ascendancy classes were most popular in Breach?
I'd be extremely surprised if they aren't making substantial balance passes on Ascendancies in general over the next couple months.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
I got a lightning skull from the race box. Neat.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Mystery Prize posted:

The two posts GGG have made for Breach statistics haven't included class/ascendancy breakdowns.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i got azure seraph weapon effect. i already had the regular seraph one and one on each touch of anguish looks cool i think

this gaudy gold character glow is extremely good too

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
My mystery box gave me a stash tab :D

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

March 3rd is a terrible day for the new league to start. That's when Zelda comes out and I'll be busy with that.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

Are there any good crafting for dummies guides out there? Like with item bases I should be collecting, desirable stats for different item bases, step-by-step guide to dumping currency into items to get the right stats etc.

I haven't looked into seriously crafting stuff yet, but I found some T1 intelligence magic gloves while mapping, threw an aug at it just for fun, got T1 flat ES, then decided to throw a regal at it and got 45% fire res. Now I don't know where to go from there. I've also got some magic crystal belts I found that are just sitting in my inventory, and I want to do something with them.

e: also, just finished the corrupted jewels challenge and I can say with 100% confidence that vaaling poo poo has become my favorite activity in poe. My gems are starting to reach level 20 at 20% quality and I just want to vaal them all, but I'm not sure which ones are worth vaaling. Is there like a list of which gems should and shouldn't be vaaled? Or do I just vaal everything? If a gem goes back to level 19, does it get stuck at level 19 or can I level it back to 20?

Hello Ketene fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 17, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Generally, you want to Vaal spell-gems. Skills that use weapon-damage scale less with higher gem levels because a significant amount of their damage is from the weapon and completely independent of the gem. Support gems aren't worth Vaaling basically because the difference between a 20/20 and a successful Vaal is close enough to zero. Spells, on the other hand, gain a significant amount of damage from getting an extra level.

Having taken my first real foray into Vaaling my gems last league I played though (skipping Breach), I'd advice you not to Vaal the ones you're currently using. Instead, if you are using a gem worth Vaaling, go out and buy another batch (I prefer just getting 20/0 or 1/20 from poe.trade rather than starting from scratch), throw them in your secondary weapon-set, and then Vaal those once they reach 20/20. It's how I got my 21/20 ED, after five bricks.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Broshevik posted:

Yup! That means 30% max mjolnir.

This league is going to be one hell of a ride.

FTFY

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I really wanna make some kind of 1h sword and board character next league. Can't wait to see the patch notes to plan it out

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I think I will try and grind talismans to get the rigwald weapons.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Esoteric Scientist posted:

Are there any good crafting for dummies guides out there? Like with item bases I should be collecting, desirable stats for different item bases, step-by-step guide to dumping currency into items to get the right stats etc.

I haven't looked into seriously crafting stuff yet, but I found some T1 intelligence magic gloves while mapping, threw an aug at it just for fun, got T1 flat ES, then decided to throw a regal at it and got 45% fire res. Now I don't know where to go from there. I've also got some magic crystal belts I found that are just sitting in my inventory, and I want to do something with them.

e: also, just finished the corrupted jewels challenge and I can say with 100% confidence that vaaling poo poo has become my favorite activity in poe. My gems are starting to reach level 20 at 20% quality and I just want to vaal them all, but I'm not sure which ones are worth vaaling. Is there like a list of which gems should and shouldn't be vaaled? Or do I just vaal everything? If a gem goes back to level 19, does it get stuck at level 19 or can I level it back to 20?

The newbie's guide to crafting is don't do it unless you're insanely rich. It takes a lot of currency, sometimes dozens or even hundreds of exalts to get truly top tier rares

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mince Pieface posted:

The newbie's guide to crafting is don't do it unless you're insanely rich. It takes a lot of currency, sometimes dozens or even hundreds of exalts to get truly top tier rares
This is true, which is why I spent thousands of alts last season rolling vaal regalias and hubris circlets, and also was extremely poor.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the newbies guide to crafting is alch your good bases and if that doesn't work scour and trade them away

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
demigodkinglol posts his crafting stuff on youtube and it's always spending 60-100ex to roll something that already has 3 T1 rolls to something with maybe more

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

funmanguy posted:

I think I will try and grind talismans to get the rigwald weapons.

Other than being very cool, how good are the Rigwald weapons?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I just started playing this, after getting burnt out on the latest season of Diablo 3.

I get that your first time around your going to royally gently caress up your build, which is why I don't mind playing for 2 weeks and then restarting in the new season.

I checked out the newbie guide in the OP - basically it was a "how to play an ARPG", not "Heres what to know about POE".

Is there a newbie guide for people who are familiar with ARPGs?

Also, is there anything that can be done about the fact that this game is horrifically ugly?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lechtansi posted:

Also, is there anything that can be done about the fact that this game is horrifically ugly?
You could turn your monitor on.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Hey, they'll at least give you the true legacy 50% one!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Lechtansi posted:

I just started playing this, after getting burnt out on the latest season of Diablo 3.

I get that your first time around your going to royally gently caress up your build, which is why I don't mind playing for 2 weeks and then restarting in the new season.

I checked out the newbie guide in the OP - basically it was a "how to play an ARPG", not "Heres what to know about POE".

Not sure what of the OP doesn't cover "How to PoE". It goes over the currency, how to (try to) quickly level, basic vendor recipes to build up currency/help with leveling...

And "ugly" is just....no.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

pork never goes bad posted:

Other than being very cool, how good are the Rigwald weapons?

Right now they rent very good, but they might be good with the buffs to one hand weapons in 2.6

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'm no longer worried about the rarity of stuff like Breachlord stones after seeing the mods that can appear on the league stones. "Rare enemies in Breaches drop 3 additional splinters" holy poo poo this is gonna generate an insane amount of splinters.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lechtansi posted:

The OP is mostly POE specific and not generally applicable stuff :shrug: The only advice I could give you is to join the guild and ask questions about stuff in the game in there as they come up.

quote:

Embrace the grimdark :black101: and I guess make sure your settings are turned up?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

Embrace the grimdark :black101: and I guess make sure your settings are turned up?

I do agree that the game is not particularly pleasant to look it and I wish it wasn't so muddy.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Lechtansi posted:

The wiki has the Diablo Player's Guide to PoE, which might be what you're looking for.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lechtansi posted:

Not really. You get used to the ugliness though.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I think the game looks great at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Lechtansi posted:

You get used to it. And it looks way better now than it used to, even! It may not quite have D3's pop and style, but GGG doesn't have Blizzard's art department behind them. Personally it reminds me favorably of D2 and Titan Quest.

• Locked thread