Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Red Mundus posted:

Let me know if this breaks something. I've been using it for awhile and no problems so far.

I'm going to certainly try this out tonight when I get back. What would be interesting is to set a sprint modifier, so you can still enter sprint directly - I'm trying to figure out whether block+O might work, or something else fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Hahaha, so I spent so much time trying to go through death birds, wind knights and ogres in Stormveil in avoidance of the giant army at the front gate. After all that of course I had to make a return trip to power Godrick's rune. After seeing where I had to go on the map, I sprinted left from the gateside Grace point, took out all the ballista and a few guards, and suddenly I was at the door to the flamethrower goons. I probably could have been at Godrick in about a minute if I'd done this initially.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
A test run of Lhutel the Headless against the (Divine Tower of Caelid spoiler) Godskin Apostle turned into a Real Attempt unexpectedly and ended in a nailbiting finish at level 60. What a loving rush. The GODSLAYER’S GREATSWORD feels pretty incredible for a Faith build and the weapon art is absolutely trucking people.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 1, 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Hahaha, so I spent so much time trying to go through death birds, wind knights and ogres in Stormveil in avoidance of the giant army at the front gate. After all that of course I had to make a return trip to power Godrick's rune. After seeing where I had to go on the map, I sprinted left from the gateside Grace point, took out all the ballista and a few guards, and suddenly I was at the door to the flamethrower goons. I probably could have been at Godrick in about a minute if I'd done this initially.

I have definitely gotten to points where I died 4-5 times in a dungeon without finding a grace point, then said “gently caress it” and sprinted past every enemy until I found it

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

gently caress you Preceptor Miriam

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artelier posted:

gently caress you Preceptor Miriam

Everyone loved Micloash, right?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Barudak posted:

Everyone loved Micloash, right?

Micolash didn't have cancel out of hitstun instant teleport, or you know, SUDDEN CLOSE RANGE FIGHTING SKILLS. This fight is miserable as melee. Poison dart doesn't seem to work well either.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artelier posted:

Micolash didn't have cancel out of hitstun instant teleport, or you know, SUDDEN CLOSE RANGE FIGHTING SKILLS. This fight is miserable as melee. Poison dart doesn't seem to work well either.

Its dogshit as melee. The only way I beat her is locking her in a backstep escape into a wall which prevented her from teleporting the second the damage animation ended

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Never had this happen before in a souls like, I quit the game from the dash and it just lost like 2 hours of progress, I unlocked a shortcut before a boss, fought the boss, picked up some items and opened up some other doors, fought the boss twice more and that's all just gone. I guess I'll finally have to start using the quit game button like they say.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

ive attempted to kill Radahn like 60 times today what a jerk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maybe theres a smart way to beat the Second Fight with Ancestral Spirit but laffo gently caress that Imma grind them out and do this the long, painful, bloody way

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Had some excellent jolly cooperation at castle Moron or whatever its called. I and the dude I was helping both had greatswords. We cleared the entire castle by only spamming jump attacks over and over again. It looked ridiculous.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Bloody slash seems way too good for how little it costs to use and how quick the animation is.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Is it just me or does it feel like armor really DOES something this time? It feels like I'm actually getting some substantial damage resistance for running around as a big tanky gently caress.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Beat Godrick - gently caress you guy. Struggled with him alot more than Margit. Seemed like Godrick had alot more bullshit moves. Managed to kill him only to die at the final second, then went back in again and killed him fully.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I think I need to swap to a parry shield because I played Sekiro before this and I keep tapping to block when an enemy hits me instead of just you know, holding the shield up.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just finished my 40 minute or so battle with Preceptor Miriam. gently caress off foreverrrr

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

(hidden area/boss)

Deeproot Depths: The Fia's champions boss fight seems to pull in random AI player ghosts, which is why it stutters constantly during the fight on PC. Probably pulls from those who completed Fia's questline.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Someone change the thread title to Elden Ring: gently caress off Preceptor Miriam

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
https://twitter.com/superlouis_64/status/1498158662082347009?s=12

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

MasterBuilder posted:

What the gently caress is in perfume's cave? I noped out almost immediately.

iirc it's just the Perfumer Tricia summon. Took me a few tries to get things to go right what with her shield, but I enter, summon my minotaur sniper, tank the first misbegotten hit on HP, then Minotaur takes aggro and I kill Tricia asap. The minotaur dies while this happens, but then it's just 1v1 with the misbegotten.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I've got a halberd paladin build with barricade shield now and it's amazing to facetank any hit and then keep guard countering

I've been a facetanking summon machine against godrick for all them pubbies

If anyone's looking for a great moveset in a halberd I totally recommend farming a guardian swordspear

E: I should mention barricade turns a kite shield into a greatshield, way less stamina consumption and deflects regular attacks to leave space to counter without worry, I'm using a brass shield and the turtle talisman and my stamina rarely goes below half with 15 end

knobgobblin fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 1, 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wait is there nothing here at the Carian Study Hall after beating Preceptor Miriam? How do I get the pedestal in the front working? All I got from that monster was some spell

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I did the messenger quest to the southern castle and returned to a... Bad end? Is there an alternative ending to the quest I missed for one reason or another? Or do I continue it somewhere else?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
"Edgar the Revenger" has to be a grrm contribution

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Tree Sentinel Haters: I regret to inform you you get to fight two of them at once later on lmao

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Captain Oblivious posted:

A test run of Lhutel the Headless against the (Divine Tower of Caelid spoiler) Godskin Apostle turned into a Real Attempt unexpectedly and ended in a nailbiting finish at level 60. What a loving rush. The GODSLAYER’S GREATSWORD feels pretty incredible for a Faith build and the weapon art is absolutely trucking people.

That weapon definitely looked sick nasty. I'm ultra jealous of all the cool faith weapons I find as an int build.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

BisbyWorl posted:

Someone change the thread title to Elden Ring: gently caress off Preceptor Miriam

:hmmyes:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Oooo Tree Sentinel is giving me the business :mad: Lv14 with a longsword and brass shield. I can get through phase one pretty consistently but at half health he starts pulling out a bunch of new AoE moves, one of which is a horse bomb that comes out way too fast, has little to no relationship with its visual hitbox, and oneshots me :(

Unless there's a hard counter for that one move in particular I'm about to start summoning wolves and jellyfish during phase two. It took me quite a while to be able to handle his first phase so I still feel like I've given him his due diligence.

Solus posted:

Tree Sentinel Haters: I regret to inform you you get to fight two of them at once later on lmao

WHY I OUGHTA :argh:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Flytrap posted:

Is it just me or does it feel like armor really DOES something this time? It feels like I'm actually getting some substantial damage resistance for running around as a big tanky gently caress.

Absolutely. Heavy armour and vigor makes a *lot* of stuff more survivable than it should (not to mention the generous amount of healing flasks you get). And I love that they went back to DS1 stats with Endurance managing both stamina and max load. I hated the Endurance/Vitality split in DS2/3.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a guide for modding Ring Fit controls onto a (presumably PC) game? I tried looking up Ring Fit mod but I keep getting people who're doing challenges with the mod. I found instructions specifically for BotW, but I'm curious of trying it with other games. Only if it's possible.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gyoru posted:

(hidden area/boss)

Deeproot Depths: The Fia's champions boss fight seems to pull in random AI player ghosts, which is why it stutters constantly during the fight on PC. Probably pulls from those who completed Fia's questline.

I know this place exists but haven’t found it yet, mind spoiling me please?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7069881948155514158

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

when you go through the first Four Belfry portal to Crumbling Farum Azula, is it supposed to be a dead end or am I missing something?

Turn sharp left and drop down.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Sure is cool that this game can let invaders invade while you're fighting a non-fog door boss, then spawn them right behind you while you're fighting said boss, giving them free kills. Tell me more about how invasion mechanics are just meant to be a cool challenge and that invaders are supposed to be ~obstacles~ in the world and not tedious dickheads.

This is rad.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Anyway going to leave my gently caress you Preceptor Miriam tips as a melee fighter

Prerequisite: You want an attack (maybe a weapon art) that locks down PreMi when you finally get a hit in.

PreMi has basically four phases, in various parts of the Study Hall. My recommendation:
Phase 1 - Immediately run out the elevator, go up the stairs, PreMi spawns and immediately lock her down and make her teleport to Phase 2.
Phase 2 - Ignore her and all the adds. Run past her, kill the adds in Phase 3 and 4, then come back down to tackle Phase 2 "properly" from the opposite side.
Phase 3 - Since she's solo now, this should be easy peasy. Again, locking her down works here.
Phase 4 - She gets a "new move" which is basically an instant teleport. The teleport:
- Can be used when she is damaged
- Can be used mid-move: start of bow attack, end of bow attack, start of laser rain, end of laser rain
- Seems to have no real cooldown that's relevant. She might do one teleport, and then just as you close in within like 3 seconds, teleport again.
- She is always forcing you to go clockwise around the arena, with teleports to match.
- Sometimes, she teleports towards you.

So how do you damage her in the final phase?
The way I did it is to tank the damage, if she's charging a bow attack - my character could take two hits from a bow. If I hit her, she immediately teleports away, so as long as I was close to full health, it was okay. Sometimes, if you're far enough away, at the corner of the hexagon structure, she will teleport towards you to get a clear shot. Not consistent though.
If she does the laser rain, it's too risky. Stay away.
Sometimes she runs in close to do melee. She only did it like once on a early attempt though.

Doing it this way, you should have enough health to tank through multiple bow attacks to get clear hits in (I went with jumping R2s) to get the kill. However, if you're unlucky, she's just keep spamming laser rain forever. Which is what happened and added so much to my time.

I looked up after the fact, and to cheese the final phase, you need some sort of bow weapon that you can aim. Apparently you can hit her from where the elevator entrance is and she will never aggro because you never stepped out of the hall. Wasn't an option for me though, and my throwables didn't hit her from that far.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Orv posted:

I know this place exists but haven’t found it yet, mind spoiling me please?
(hidden area)
There's a coffin you can interact with in the boss room with the twin gargoyles in Siofra aqueduct/caves. It's easily missable because it's all the way in the back. I think you might need to be past a certain point in Fia's questline (Fia left the Roundtable) for it to be interactable.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Takes No Damage posted:

Oooo Tree Sentinel is giving me the business :mad: Lv14 with a longsword and brass shield. I can get through phase one pretty consistently but at half health he starts pulling out a bunch of new AoE moves, one of which is a horse bomb that comes out way too fast, has little to no relationship with its visual hitbox, and oneshots me :(

fight horse with horse, the mobility lets you easily run out of the BS aoe attacks

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Artelier posted:

Anyway going to leave my gently caress you Preceptor Miriam tips as a melee fighter

:words:

Yeah, that's kind of how I ended up doing it. Tried bow, including poison arrows, but that's too unreliable and the poison never procced. Ultimately, I just used my best buddy the Grafted Blade, and run/jump+R2 then one or two R1 followup which get her to teleport. Nothing as fancy as you though, I killed ghosts as they appeared before charging her again each time. Final floor was the same, though she teleports fast so getting that connecting hit indeed required to get her to pull out the bow. She was a massive pain, but I'll have fond memories of her trolling me. :lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gyoru posted:

(hidden area)
There's a coffin you can interact with in the boss room with the twin gargoyles in Siofra aqueduct/caves. It's easily missable because it's all the way in the back. I think you might need to be past a certain point in Fia's questline (Fia left the Roundtable) for it to be interactable.

Awesome, thanks.