Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fangz posted:

Christ, Call of Duty: WWII is going to be bad.

I just listened to an hour of these people babbling about 'authenticity' and the example they keep going back to is the ping of the M1 Garand.

What are the odds that you won't be able to reload it mid-clip?

(I'm probably still going to buy it no matter how dumb it is, CoD games are my guilty pleasure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I better be able to reload mid-clip as well as being able to load half-clips.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The character model better have an accurately modelled Garand thumb.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I think I'll wait for it to be discounted, I've seen that stupid beach way too many times in a video game to justify picking it up at that price.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's too bad they don't make good single player reasonably-realistic shooters anymore. Some of those early CoDs definitely sparked my curiosity about less popular history elements of WWII, you know like how the Red Army was by far the MVP of the war and also they had a pretty decent SMG. I wouldn't be surprised if the first exposure to anything about Soviets in WWII for many American kids was through the CoD games.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I read "Empires of the Silk Road" a couple of years ago: https://www.amazon.com/Empires-Silk-Road-History-Central/dp/0691150346

It might not be exactly what you're looking for, and I didn't really agree with some of the conclusions he ended up at, but overall it was a decent read.

:tipshat: thanks!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Please tell me they showed off something interesting and not just "Beach from Operation Overlord".

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Please tell me they showed off something interesting and not just "Beach from Operation Overlord".

You get to do hurtgen forest

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They showed a sherman going up in flames from one shot from a tiger

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ainsley McTree posted:

What are the odds that you won't be able to reload it mid-clip?

You couldn't reload in CoD2 iirc

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HOW MANY CASUALTIES!

WE EXECUTED AN ORDER!

*Officer punches another Officer*

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Shermans explode into copies of Death Trap.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm crossing my fingers for Fireflies in ambush that turbofuck a column of Tigers, but I know it would never happen :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

They showed a sherman going up in flames from one shot from a tiger

I'm sad that Panthers aren't included, but its historically accurate.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

You couldn't reload in CoD2 iirc

Yeah not being able to reload the Garand without emptying the clip was a mainstay of pretty much every WWII shooter until depressingly recently. I've absolutely encountered people who confidently exclaimed their WWII expertise by saying that you had to fire off the whole clip to empty the gun. Which seems like a safety hazard to me but well they're the experts I guess

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The first two CoD 2nd World War games were great and it is such a shame we'll never see anything like them again.

Also, the game has a generic as gently caress title. Every time the conflict is abbreviated to WW2 I hear Hank Hill's dad drawling those words out. Hey, maybe Hank Hill's dad is the main character as he of course is from Texas.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm sad that Panthers aren't included, but its historically accurate.

Historically accurate Normandy tank combat: British and Germans ramming their tanks into each other's AT guns. Americans more beset by hedges than enemy resistance

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I strongly advise the developers to drop the text baised chat and emblems too. Good god it is not a good time at all now for either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

The first two CoD 2nd World War games were great and it is such a shame we'll never see anything like them again.

Also, the game has a generic as gently caress title. Every time the conflict is abbreviated to WW2 I hear Hank Hill's dad drawling those words out. Hey, maybe Hank Hill's dad is the main character as he of course is from Texas.

I hope to get the Kill Fitty Men achievement.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I was really anti-FPS when I was younger so it's really bizarre seeing CoD being the Middle East Hellwar Simulator because last time I played, it was all about doing normandy over and over and over again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

Christ, Call of Duty: WWII is going to be bad.

I just listened to an hour of these people babbling about 'authenticity' and the example they keep going back to is the ping of the M1 Garand.

That's very strange for me as someone whose primary exposire to CoD is the WW2 games.

I hope they include the World At War flamethrower because trundling around the level with an infinite ammunition flamethrower burning every piece of terrain to ash was hilarious.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 26, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

doing normandy over and over and over again.

normandy is exactly the kind of experience one wants to have as many times as possible

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I want a WW2 game where your part of an overworked Bren Gun carrier.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hmm does World War 2 Online have that? They do early war.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm the drive sprocket

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I want a WWII game where you date armored fighting vehicles that have been anthropomorphicized into anime schoolgirls

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

P-Mack posted:

I want a WWII game where you date armored fighting vehicles that have been anthropomorphicized into anime schoolgirls

If in the next WW2 game I can't romance a tiger tank with a cute animes girl voice I am DEFINITELY not buying it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

P-Mack posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/379980/Panzermadels_Tank_Dating_Simulator/

Sadly the game does not go hatoful boyfriend route and have you date actual tanks.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 26, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Hmm does World War 2 Online have that? They do early war.

That game still exists? Wow, good for them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Can anyone point me to an effortpost about helicopter gunships in this thread, or the predecessor thread?

I don't think there has been one. Make one :sun:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SeanBeansShako posted:

Child me put way too many hours into the first two CoDs and BF1942.

Cotton served in the Pacific.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Steel Division 1944 is really fun. Give me infantry and AT guns and artillery and air power for days. Then crush tankers to dust.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

The Russians in World at War aren't very evil by video game standards.

They were more or less bulletproof though. How likely would it be for footsoldiers that fought in Stalingrad to still be on the frontline during the battle for Berlin? It is a shame that they skipped over everything inbetween. And the tank level featured a regenerating T-34 that could easily knock out a bunch of Panthers, 88 mm cannons and bunkers.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm crossing my fingers for Fireflies in ambush that turbofuck a column of Tigers, but I know it would never happen :(

Did anything like that ever happen in real life? Seems more likely they would be smashed by air strikes instead. As for the upcoming game, it could be interesting if they would dare to include levels where you play on the Axis side, but that is also unlikely to happen.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 26, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kopijeger posted:

They were more or less bulletproof though. How likely would it be for footsoldiers that fought in Stalingrad to still be on the frontline during the battle for Berlin? A shame that they skipped over everything inbetween. And the tank level featured a regenerating T-34 that could easily knock out a bunch of Panthers, 88 mm cannons and bunkers.

Yeah, but after the PITA tank levels in COD1 and UO where the tank health couldn't regen at all, I was fine with having magic armor.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm just finishing up the book Embers of War which covers the entire leadup and aftermath of the First Indo-China War and the evolution of America's policy toward Vietnam. It's an amazing book and now I'm looking for a book that picks off where it ends and goes into the Vietnam War. Any recommendations? I know Stanley Karnow's book is considered a landmark but it was published way back in 1983 so does it still hold up? I want something that covers both the political and military history of the Vietnam War.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bewbies posted:

normandy is exactly the kind of experience one wants to have as many times as possible

I hope the first level is pulling up to the beach in your landing craft while your sergeant screams at you about how tough it's going to be, and there's explosions going off everywhere in the distance and your guy is getting really psyched up, etc. Then the ramp drops and you're at Utah (I assume you must be an American for sales reasons) and the first wave has already cleared the beach and opened a causeway.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kopijeger posted:

Did anything like that ever happen in real life? Seems more likely they would be smashed by air strikes instead.

The jury is still out somewhat on this but the general consensus seems to be that air strikes were not all that effective at actually killing armour in WWII. The Firefly was the biggest gun available on allied tanks at D-Day (the US Sherman 76mm wasn't available yet) and so had the best chance of penetrating Tigers and Panthers in the early parts of the battle of France, and were certainly used in ambushes to good effect.

P-Mack posted:

I would prefer a gate where you date anime schoolgirls that have been deanthropomorphicized into armoured fighting vehicles

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm just finishing up the book Embers of War which covers the entire leadup and aftermath of the First Indo-China War and the evolution of America's policy toward Vietnam. It's an amazing book and now I'm looking for a book that picks off where it ends and goes into the Vietnam War. Any recommendations? I know Stanley Karnow's book is considered a landmark but it was published way back in 1983 so does it still hold up? I want something that covers both the political and military history of the Vietnam War.

The Best and Brightest is a great read if you want to see the political side of how the USA ended up in Vietnam.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spectralent posted:

I was really anti-FPS when I was younger so it's really bizarre seeing CoD being the Middle East Hellwar Simulator because last time I played, it was all about doing normandy over and over and over again.

Oh, it hasn't been Middle East Hellwar Simulator for like 5 years! Treyarch did some Cold War stuff (with stupidly anachronistic guns like a Walther WA2000 in the Vietnam War and a G11 and full auto CZ 75s in the 1960s), then they went into full blown sci-fi for like 3 games after Ghosts dabbled in it. The last game, Infinite Warfare, was a "gritty" space opera with fighter combat and levels on or around the different planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

My first experience with Call of Duty was Big Red One on the Gamecube, that was an interesting campaign, except I don't think too many soldiers fought in North Africa, Sicily, Normandy and the Siegfried Line. Although it was kinda sad seeing all your squadmates die over the course of the game and by the end the sergeant commanding the squad was a private back at the start.