Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hawaiian pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Bowl full of ramen with some broke up poke in it you weab.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what should i be eating as a warrior in progression content?

If you're OT: whatever has the most dhit.
If you're MT: whatever has the most tenacity.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what should i be eating as a warrior in progression content?

Faces.

Enemy faces, the faces of your party, doesn't matter. Go nuts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In a slightly unrelated note but man Warrior feels like the Tank class that has the most insane inconsistency across players to me, at least as someone who spends most of their time healing. Bad Paladins or Bad DRKS are squishy but bad warriors are absurdly squishy while good warriors leave me feeling like a DPS half the time.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I've been levelling my WHM from 60 to 70 and I kind of feel like tanks are at an all time low. The vast majority either didn't take Rampart, or never use it if they have, let alone other cooldowns. I had a DRK in a dungeon who straight up refused to tank because "stuff on this level doesn't do any damage anyway." I mean, sure, we don't need you here, but then why are you even here? Another DRK I came across sat in every AoE marker. It wasn't that he was slow; he didn't even try.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're OT: whatever has the most dhit.
If you're MT: whatever has the most dhit.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's kakuni, fam

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's what i ended up with, yeah

o1s and 02s down, feels good

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Whats the ping reducing service I've heard you guys talk about before? I don't actually have a ping problem but I'm hoping it will help with my being completely unable to connect to the game on some hotel connections.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I think it was Mudfish?

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Vadoc posted:

I think it was Mudfish?

That sounds right, thanks!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

There was also WTFast, but they discontinued their free service. Mudfish offers more and cheaper, you could just put in 3-5 dollars and it'll last you an extremely long time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I have this quest objective item, I activated it, was killing the spawns that it brought, and then a lvl 50 Cornu spawns above me, kills me, now is camping the quest objective (I'm lvl 35). Is this a rare spawn thing?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yes. You got screwed by RNG there. Let people know he's spawned, and a horde of pubs and/or goons will dispatch it in short order.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

VelociBacon posted:

So I have this quest objective item, I activated it, was killing the spawns that it brought, and then a lvl 50 Cornu spawns above me, kills me, now is camping the quest objective (I'm lvl 35). Is this a rare spawn thing?

Yeah, those things spawn randomly around zones. Just throw out its location in chat (use your map to mark it and then <flag> to post the coordinates) and people will kill it for you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tried out O4S tonight after getting our second O3S clear. It looks like a fun fight, but looking at the DPS requirements I'm not sure how Square Enix expected players to be able to beat that DPS check without healers contributing damage. If I'm understanding past posts correctly, Square maths out dps requirements assuming 0 dps from the healers.

Say the tanks do 2500 dps each, that's 4750 each for the DPS ignoring LB3 damage. Of the 95th percentile for jobs on Neo Exdeath right now, only SAM and MNK actually beat that requirement.

Were they just setting the math assuming that it'd take the playerbase 2-3 months to gear up enough to beat O4SS or what?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

Tried out O4S tonight after getting our second O3S clear. It looks like a fun fight, but looking at the DPS requirements I'm not sure how Square Enix expected players to be able to beat that DPS check without healers contributing damage. If I'm understanding past posts correctly, Square maths out dps requirements assuming 0 dps from the healers.

Say the tanks do 2500 dps each, that's 4750 each for the DPS ignoring LB3 damage. Of the 95th percentile for jobs on Neo Exdeath right now, only SAM and MNK actually beat that requirement.

Were they just setting the math assuming that it'd take the playerbase 2-3 months to gear up enough to beat O4SS or what?

That had a gear level in mind when they calculated the enrage timer. If you want to clear it in worse gear, you need to outperform their assumptions (and healer DPS is one way to outperform). They're pretty clear that they aren't saying "healer DPS is never necessary", but rather "we calculate the enrage timer using this formula that doesn't account for healer damage".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ruta posted:

Another DRK I came across sat in every AoE marker. It wasn't that he was slow; he didn't even try.

This is me in EXDR. I have a darkest night problem.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

getting a bit further in the game, was desperately craving to finally make any kind of glamor set so i decided to try and get some of the sohm al set which was recommended (i looked it up, looks nice, want some)

ran it twice

got almost a full ninja set but not a single tank piece

so this is ffxiv huh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kaubocks posted:

getting a bit further in the game, was desperately craving to finally make any kind of glamor set so i decided to try and get some of the sohm al set which was recommended (i looked it up, looks nice, want some)

ran it twice

got almost a full ninja set but not a single tank piece

so this is ffxiv huh

If you were running on tank, then at the end of each run a tank piece was added automatically to your inventory

e: this is true of all level 51-59 and 61-69 dungeons

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

weird, i'll have to triple check. i think i might have gotten the tank helmet but i didn't really count it because i don't wear helmets. still in that case i must have missed something

thanks for the heads up

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Your healers are supposed to DPS.

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

New as gently caress and just started leveling a PGL; I'm wondering if a successful attack from behind/flank is your position when you press the key for said attack, or is it tied to the actual animation in any way? Perhaps I'm giving the combat system too much credit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's when the move goes on cooldown.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Ark posted:

New as gently caress and just started leveling a PGL; I'm wondering if a successful attack from behind/flank is your position when you press the key for said attack, or is it tied to the actual animation in any way? Perhaps I'm giving the combat system too much credit.

positionals are registered when you press the skill button, not when the damage number pops up, and use positions that are registered by the server at the time you press the button. That means that, if a monster turns around right before you press your attack button, or if the person tanking them is wiggling them around for whatever reason, or if they turn around as far as the server is concerned but your client hasn't updated yet, you won't get the positional bonus it looks like you should get. If you are trying to dance around a monster to get a positional without someone else tanking them and pointing them in a different direction, it is impossible to get your positional bonus, because the server has the monster tracking you perfectly. It just looks like they have a slow turn on your screen because your client hasn't updated their actual position and facing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also for reference that's how it works for enemies too, enemy skills take effect when the cast bar fills/telegraph disappears. So you can move out of an aoe and then get back into position as soon as the cast bar finishes, even if it has a long animation associated with it and you're standing inside a fireball or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ntan1 posted:

Your healers are supposed to DPS.

In other words, yes, if your healers refuse to dps, you'll have to gear up first. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's easier to get new healers than new gear tbh

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Kaubocks posted:

weird, i'll have to triple check. i think i might have gotten the tank helmet but i didn't really count it because i don't wear helmets. still in that case i must have missed something

thanks for the heads up

I might be weird, but I set the game to put newly-acquired equipment into my regular inventory instead of the armory chest. Less likely to forget about it or lose track that way. Plus, it makes it easy to sort through and see what you want to keep versus what you want to sell or turn in for GC seals.

I ran Doma Castle with a goon tonight, and it was pretty neat. Awesome music, lots of stuff to dodge and jump around, and I managed to prevent at least two wipes with some Vercure/Verraise heroics when the healer was too busy typing to, like, heal.

Kind of glad I took this screenshot before I went in there, for obvious reasons. I'm amazed at how pretty this game is on a four year old non-gaming laptop. Although sometimes you can see where they took a few shortcuts either to make it perform better or because they don't have enough texture artists. See: this cutscene from right before I took that picture. Maybe Doma's crest is supposed to be made of Legos?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The low-resolution textures are absolutely one of the most visually annoying things about this game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ehhh, it's not that bad, 99.99% of the time you're playing fully zoomed out anyway :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Truga posted:

Ehhh, it's not that bad, 99.99% of the time you're completely covered in particle effects :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The environment textures and polygonal work is pretty drab a lot of the time too. They've fallen into the BIG OPEN WORLD! trap.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It's always kind of jarring the things they'll do in such low resolution, like crests and glowing detail lines -- yknow, the kinds of things you'd think you'd want to do in as high resolution as feasible?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

It's all gotta work on consoles, first the PS3 now PS4.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The environment textures and polygonal work is pretty drab a lot of the time too. They've fallen into the BIG OPEN WORLD! trap.

Yeah there's definitely a lot of cases where you can see the repeating environmental textures. It's a shame.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sadly, yeah.

Still doesn't change that they really ought to create the assets to allow players, including PS4 users, Pro only if need be, to toggle clothing textures to not look abysmal. Even if it only applies to player.
FFXIV 1.0 had more polys than anything ever needed for its assets but its texture work was considerably better.

I'd happily cut zones like Sea of Clouds and Azim in half if it meant it was a more tightly curated, visually interesting and better area.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

There is a graphics settings that turns on for PS4 Pro only but i'm not sure how much of an impact that would make in a game like this.