Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Mister Adequate posted:

Am I right in thinking there's a mod that adds a fourth settlement level to minor settlements? I thought I'd read that in this thread but I can't find anything on the workshop.

I made a mod that does that for the dwarves, I never released it on the workshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Vargs posted:

I wiped out all of the northern tribes. Do not wipe out all of the northern tribes. Holy poo poo that was a tedious game of whack-a-mole where they'd constantly send out tiny armies to recolonize one of the ten thousand settlements up there, all hidden and blocked by line of sight.

Luckily I was playing Dwarfs so I could use the underway to get around quicker without suffering attrition. That would have been hell in raiding stance. It still was hell though because you take a ton of attrition casualties every time you raze an enemy camp, which there are an insane number of and they kept popping back up. Closest place to repopulate your forces is ages away and if you leave to go do that, the entire north will be full of these horse skirmisher motherfuckers all over again. I only managed to keep them contained by spreading 5 full stacks all around the mountains, and wouldn't have been able to do it much longer because every unit was down to like 10% of its men due to attrition and combat. Pretty good exp, at least.

Pop up, sack and encamp, raze, encamp, move onto the next. Max out replenishment/attrition reduction on the lord and you only end up taking a bit of attrition. It was seriously the only way I could do it.

Plus side is that for some reason, unlike the rest of chaos, all you really need is a doomstack of quarrellers and a couple smaller ones - say 7 units or so - to do the whackamole.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mazz posted:

I made a mod that does that for the dwarves, I never released it on the workshop.

Oh okay, fair enough! Thanks for the quick reply :)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh okay, fair enough! Thanks for the quick reply :)

I can release the dwarf one if people want it, its pretty much done (the flavor text is the same as the level 3 keep since I'm lazy and don't care to search out where to change that). For other factions though I'd have to make them still. I'm probably going to play empire next and I'll probably do it there at some point.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

DeathSandwich posted:

So after 120 turns on my first campaign with greenskins, I started a new Empire campaign and holy poo poo empire knights are simply amazing compared to wolf/spider riders it's not even funny. Wolf and spider riders are borderline unusuable because they can only barely win vs siege crews and ranged infantry blocks like quarrelers and thunderers will outpunch them in melee.
That's probably 50% wolf / spider riders being fragile and 50% quarrelers and thunderers being really tough /surprisingly competent in melee, at least as ranged units go.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Does the AI need to spend soldiers like the player does when re-settling? I just wandered around VC lands sacking and razing and they sort of flitted along behind me re-taking everything and I didn't see their army strength bar change after several re-settlements.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

So after 120 turns on my first campaign with greenskins, I started a new Empire campaign and holy poo poo empire knights are simply amazing compared to wolf/spider riders it's not even funny. Wolf and spider riders are borderline unusuable because they can only barely win vs siege crews and ranged infantry blocks like quarrelers and thunderers will outpunch them in melee.

I'm thinking about doing a Greenskins campaign next, but I'm having trouble figuring out what they're actually good at. With other factions it's pretty clear where their strengths lie. Counts have great air units and godlike lords/heroes/magic. Dwarfs have an unbreakable wall of infantry to hold you down while they blast you with powerful ranged attacks. Empire initially seems kinda generalist, but demigryphs are so good that they end up being the premiere cavalry faction. Chaos has super scary elite infantry. But Greenskins? Nothing's really standing out to me. Doom Divers?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Does the AI need to spend soldiers like the player does when re-settling? I just wandered around VC lands sacking and razing and they sort of flitted along behind me re-taking everything and I didn't see their army strength bar change after several re-settlements.

Vampires get zombies pretty much for free, so they're pro tier at re-settling.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

The army strength bar doesn't seem to do a good job representing the actual health of the army - as far as I can tell it's only based on the raw number of units (so a full 20 stack will always have a full bar regardless of how much damage they've taken). You also don't need to be at full strength to colonize - it just takes a percentage of your current troops so if you're already down to 1 guy in each unit it won't take anything.

All that said I wouldn't be surprised if the AI doesn't have to spend troops to colonize. They get a lot of hidden little bonuses for minor stuff like that so the AI doesn't need to be able to consider the pros and cons.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Vargs posted:

I'm thinking about doing a Greenskins campaign next, but I'm having trouble figuring out what they're actually good at. With other factions it's pretty clear where their strengths lie. Counts have great air units and godlike lords/heroes/magic. Dwarfs have an unbreakable wall of infantry to hold you down while they blast you with powerful ranged attacks. Empire initially seems kinda generalist, but demigryphs are so good that they end up being the premiere cavalry faction. Chaos has super scary elite infantry. But Greenskins? Nothing's really standing out to me. Doom Divers?

As I understand it, the main thing about Greenskins is that they have the best economy. Getting huge waaagh stacks for free is no joke.

Giants and giant spiders make up for their weak cavalry.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 1, 2016

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I messed around with the colonize costs to see how much worse it is with an army or with a lord.

It is 2500 to colonize a city if you send a lord alone.

It will range from 500-1200 if you send an army with them, and it will take like 3 turns for the army to replenish. During which you will spend more than the money you saved in upkeep most likely.

It sure seems like unless you are absolutely strapped for cash and have an army that needs to sit around, you are best off just sending some recruited lord to recolonize crap. You can also disband them when they're done.

Newly colonized cities seem to benefit massively from the presence of a lord, so if you can park one in there for about 10 turns while they rebuild you can avoid a rebellion entirely while stacking +growth stuff. Also seems to be an argument for colonization armies rather than using your combat armies.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

I'm a TW newb and Orcs are the only race in Total Warhammer I've even touched, so take this with a mountain-sized grain of salt when I say their specialty seems to be fielding fuckhuge armies with low upkeep and receiving free Waaugh!! armies on the side to rampage around the map with. This is only in relation to my limited understanding of the other races' strengths. I could be wrong and Orcs could be good at nothing.

I'm very interested in a response to this question from someone who knows what they're talking about.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's no way my dwarfs would have beaten Manfred and Kemmler's combined stacks if the ai didn't decide to wander the latter into quarreller-range midway through the battle. Schoolboy stuff.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

But the Empire doesn't get them. I'm sure they'll be added soon enough, since the Lore's already there. We're only missing Shadow, Beasts and Life of the Battle Magic lores, right?
Fire
Death
Life
Beasts
Metal
Heavens
Shadow
Light

Empire has metal access through Balthazar.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Arglebargle III posted:

Empire has metal access through Balthazar.

Yeah, although it would be nice to have Gold Wizards too. I just can't wait for Life, it was always my favorite tabletop lore

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You also don't need to be at full strength to colonize - it just takes a percentage of your current troops so if you're already down to 1 guy in each unit it won't take anything.

That much I was familiar with. I have a lord that has no army, and all of the campaign map skills for +order - corruption, +income, and camp followers to boost them further. When I want to take something, My main force comes in and sacks and razes everything, then while it sieges the capitol this administrator:smug: comes around and resettles the towns. 5 turns after we own everything, it's a perfect idyllic utopia.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah, although it would be nice to have Gold Wizards too. I just can't wait for Life, it was always my favorite tabletop lore

What does Life do, for those of us that haven't played TT version? :)

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Lots of heals and survivability buffs if I remember correctly. It also might have been the one with a spell you could cast that did nothing immediately, but made every other spell in the lore even more powerful. I was a big fan of Life on my Lizardmen.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Deified Data posted:

I'm a TW newb and Orcs are the only race in Total Warhammer I've even touched, so take this with a mountain-sized grain of salt when I say their specialty seems to be fielding fuckhuge armies with low upkeep and receiving free Waaugh!! armies on the side to rampage around the map with. This is only in relation to my limited understanding of the other races' strengths. I could be wrong and Orcs could be good at nothing.

I'm very interested in a response to this question from someone who knows what they're talking about.

You're pretty much on the right track. Orcs are the angry mob army. All their units are cheap as poo poo and most of them hit really hard despite lacking practical things like armor, shields, or the concepts of self defense.

Take a look at your basic Orc boyz. Bit more expensive than Swordsmen, same armor/LD, lower attack/defense. Note however they get +6 charge and +6 base weapon damage over swordsmen. Despite not looking that impressive they beat Dwarf warriors 1v1 if they get the charge off. That's basically your whole army, poor armor, poor leadership, but mostly cheap as poo poo and hit like trucks.

Orcs are fast, cheap and hit hard, that's basically all they do. They either break enemy armies with speed and numbers or they fall apart.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

It's a ton of powerful buffing and healing and control of plants and things.

In the fluff, it's also used extensively to make sure the Empire doesn't starve by keeping the harvests regular.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Vargs posted:

Low tier greenskins are not good. Goblin spears and bows are kind of rubbish you should be replacing quickly. Orc boyz are kind of generic line troopers that while good vs other orcs and humans get their poo poo pushed in by dwarves real bad pound for pound. Their advantages really are in their more advanced units. Night goblins archers and forest goblin spider archers both bring poison attacks to give you a ranged force multiplier. Orc Bigunz are super good as a upgrade to standard boyz are basically punchier empire halberds, bringing both anti large, anti armor, and a larger offensive focus compared to halberds. Savage orks do a startling amount of damage for as similar to orc boy statlines as they are. Doom Divers are shockingly accurate as far as siege weapons go and really do some damage when you get them, and the arachnarok is right up there with the steam tank as being one of the best big guy units in the game. Greenskin magic is also really good, both goblin and ork shamans get some really aces buffing spells that give your units a ton of damage. For as poo poo as goblin calvary is, boar riderz are fairly well rounded shock cav and bigunz do some real work against enemy cavalry and monsters.

Basically as greenskins your early game is a race to get those mid tier units out so you can actually start pushing back against the armored dwarf columns coming to thump your head in about 20-30 turns.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

You're pretty much on the right track. Orcs are the angry mob army. All their units are cheap as poo poo and most of them hit really hard despite lacking practical things like armor, shields, or the concepts of self defense.

Take a look at your basic Orc boyz. Bit more expensive than Swordsmen, same armor/LD, lower attack/defense. Note however they get +6 charge and +6 base weapon damage over swordsmen. Despite not looking that impressive they beat Dwarf warriors 1v1 if they get the charge off. That's basically your whole army, poor armor, poor leadership, but mostly cheap as poo poo and hit like trucks.

Orcs are fast, cheap and hit hard, that's basically all they do. They either break enemy armies with speed and numbers or they fall apart.

Thanks for the confirmation - I'll try to press this advantage going forward.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'm going to include a "Possible Total War Implementation" part in this writeup too, based on what else is in the game

Life is all about buffs and healing damage, with its offense based around forests. It's Lore Attribute is Lifebloom, which heals a single wound any time a spell is cast. This is functionally identical to the Lore of Vampires attribute, so it will probably be implemented as an AoE heal while casting too. And I'd just like to say that I really like how Lore Attributes became global passive powers in Total War. While I wish they were a bit stronger in most cases, it's a good implementation in concept.

Its first spell is Awakening the Wood. This is a basic direct damage spell, not great but it's simple and quick. Its gimmick is that it gets stronger if the target is in a forest. Since Total War already has terrain modifiers for wooded areas, it will probably be an AoE direct damage spell (like headbusta, or maybe searing doom) that gets bonus armor piercing damage against targets in Forest.
Flesh to Stone is the second spell, and it boosts Toughness. There are a few ways to handle this in Total War, but I'd go with %Physical Resistance. Probably 25%, maybe 40% for a shorter time, not sure where the balance point would lie.
Then you have Throne of Vines, in many ways the signature spell. It boosts the strength of every other spell in the lore and makes you all but immune to miscasts. This one will be the most interesting to see converted, because there are many ways to keep the feel intact without having to port over all of the exact mechanics. It could give -% miscast chance, and either actually boost the other spells or perhaps increase Power Reserves and recharge rate. A possible balancing point would be to make it reduce speed or even render the caster immobile while it's in effect, since they're on a throne and all.
Next is Shield of Thorns. It damages enemies in combat with the buffed unit, so just look at the Fire lore's cloak spell for this one.
Regrowth is the healing spell. It heals a bunch of lost wounds to the target, including reviving dead models if need be. I'd make it work like Invocation of Nehek, only with its overcast version healing for more but not gaining the AoE power.
Finally, Dwellers Below. It's a huge nuke that targets everyone in the unit, making them check Strength or die (pretty much a 50/50 chance for most targets, rarely goes lower than 1/3 chance to kill). It's one of the strongest damage spells in the game. It'll probably be the obligatory Vortex spell for Life. I'd give it medium damage, but add a debuff (probably a slow or something?), similar to Burning Head.

The reason it's my favorite is that it's a great support Lore, and its flat bonuses are best on fragile units (a regular human going from Toughness 3 to 7 is WAY better than a Toughness 6 dragon going up to 10 in most cases). Since I played High Elves and Empire a lot, this was great to turn their fragile-but-deadly elites into rock-hard-but-deadly elites that kept coming back to life.

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 1, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

Use a naked lord and don't spend any men.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Somebody should have told this dude that he was supposed to build an army and not a harem. He's got a thing for GILFs and trivial poo poo like diminishing returns on spellcasters due to a shared magic pool isn't going to get in his way.

The AI's unit choices in general are pretty baffling. Not quite as bad as full slinger stacks from Rome 2, but it gets close sometimes. Might as well rename the Greenskin faction to "Goblin Archers and maybe some friends".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DO IT TO IT posted:

Lots of heals and survivability buffs if I remember correctly. It also might have been the one with a spell you could cast that did nothing immediately, but made every other spell in the lore even more powerful. I was a big fan of Life on my Lizardmen.

It has great buffs, a free healing(!) and also a big gently caress off nuke and not too hard to cast. No downsides. Slightly overpowered on TT.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I wonder how they'll implement High Magic this time, since Drain Magic changes completely every edition.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Grondoth posted:

I wonder how they'll implement High Magic this time, since Drain Magic changes completely every edition.

The easiest way would be to have it reduce your enemy's power reserve and recharge rate. Sort of an anti-arcane conduit. It could also be a targeted AOE that removes all magical buffs, but I like the first way better. Teclis better be one of the High Elf Legendary Lords, he's gonna be awesome

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Pierson posted:

Do agents acquire exp over time or do I actually have to fight with them? My final grudge and the only thing stopping me from my first campaign victory is getting a Master Engineer up to level 15 and I 100% forgot to get one until now, when I'm pretty much finished. :(

I think agents gain some xp every turn when they're deployed. I had the same thing happen, striking every grudge is probably the most annoying long campaign objective of all the races

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Start lvling the engineer, and while your at it start controlling the entire map. See which one you finish first.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Pierson posted:

Do agents acquire exp over time or do I actually have to fight with them? My final grudge and the only thing stopping me from my first campaign victory is getting a Master Engineer up to level 15 and I 100% forgot to get one until now, when I'm pretty much finished. :(

Ha, I had the same Grudge keeping me from finishing, it took me about 90 turns from my short campaign victory to the long victory. Once Chaos was dealt with I just went North and completely wiped out Varg and Skaeling, and then came back and wiped the VC for good measure, which got the Engineer with Thorgrim up to 15. By the End of my campaign there was no war, just 3 big confederations of Brettonia, Empire, and my Dwarfs left.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Agent XP Methods

*Deployed - small xp per turn
*Embedded - small xp per turn
*Fight a battle - big xp lump
*Do a mission - big xp lump

Don't know what the xp difference is between succeeding/failing missions or if the target affects it but in general it's good xp similar to fighting battles. One battle or mission is worth several turns of deployed/embedded xp easy.

Either way your best xp method is probably to just embed in army since it's the same passive xp as deploying, and then participating in as many battles as possible. They don't even have to kill anything, just be there.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Vargs posted:

Somebody should have told this dude that he was supposed to build an army and not a harem. He's got a thing for GILFs and trivial poo poo like diminishing returns on spellcasters due to a shared magic pool isn't going to get in his way.

The AI's unit choices in general are pretty baffling. Not quite as bad as full slinger stacks from Rome 2, but it gets close sometimes. Might as well rename the Greenskin faction to "Goblin Archers and maybe some friends".

Winds boosting talents like Power Drain stack over multiple heroes, my Mannfred stack with a couple of vampires in it had like 160 power reserve to throw around. Each wizard can get to their power collection active too, so you can concentrate the power of a lot of wizards.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Archonex posted:

You know all that cash you never use?
Haha what? My monthly as Chaos is up to -6000.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

How exactly does ambush stance work? Everyone says it's the solution to stopping enemies from sprinting around your lands, but does the enemy need to walk right by your army or does it have a different AOE or what? Because if the AI never walks by your army then you never get the ambush and it's a waste of time...

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't know what the xp difference is between succeeding/failing missions or if the target affects it but in general it's good xp similar to fighting battles. One battle or mission is worth several turns of deployed/embedded xp easy.

Successful missions are worth roughly twice what a failed mission gives. The exact number you get seems to vary quite a bit, and I haven't figured that part out yet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

How exactly does ambush stance work? Everyone says it's the solution to stopping enemies from sprinting around your lands, but does the enemy need to walk right by your army or does it have a different AOE or what? Because if the AI never walks by your army then you never get the ambush and it's a waste of time...

The AI knows the area you can attack (i.e. move range around your armies), and is programmed to skirt around that if it feels you are too strong to fight. If you are in Ambush stance, however, that army is not included in its calculations - at least until it gets close enough to roll a spot check on your army. The end result is that even if your ambush fails, the AI will have a far greater chance of ending within reach of your doomstacks than otherwise. Especially if you park the army between them and what seems like a juicy target.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

There's a tiny button in the bottom-left of the screen to turn Unit Details on whenever you have a unit selected. You can also press i for the same effect. This works for enemy units in battle, too - you can left-click on them and have their card up.

Having tried this I discovered the real issue. I want to have a mouse-over-capable unit card when I don't have that unit in my army, like when in the recruitment screen, so I can make a more informed choice about what to buy. Is there any way to do that?

It used to be that right clicking would pull up a larger version of the card but now it links to the online encyclopedia which gives no mouse-over tooltips at all and no explanation of any symbols or vague descriptions. CA took a system which clearly worked well for multiple TW titles and tossed it in favor of nothing, since there's nothing there that the unit card doesn't say, and you need an internet connection just to access the nothing. It's not game breaking but it's loving frustrating because there's no goddamn reason for it, like someone was trying to make the worst possible decision.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

That's weird, my Kholek stack has a hellcannon that showed up one day (that I didn't even buy, I guess if there's a free unit slot they'll loot from battles?) and he can raze castles on the first turn with no equipment. Maybe that's just Kholek though.

Hellcannons are seige weapons so you don't have to wait to assault. Monsters that can break down gates aren't flagged as seige weapons so you have to wait that extra turn to build a ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

rockopete posted:

Having tried this I discovered the real issue. I want to have a mouse-over-capable unit card when I don't have that unit in my army, like when in the recruitment screen, so I can make a more informed choice about what to buy. Is there any way to do that?

It used to be that right clicking would pull up a larger version of the card but now it links to the online encyclopedia which gives no mouse-over tooltips at all and no explanation of any symbols or vague descriptions. CA took a system which clearly worked well for multiple TW titles and tossed it in favor of nothing, since there's nothing there that the unit card doesn't say, and you need an internet connection just to access the nothing. It's not game breaking but it's loving frustrating because there's no goddamn reason for it, like someone was trying to make the worst possible decision.

In the recruitment screen, when you mouse over a unit card and the details come up there is also a little pin icon on the unit card that you can click. This will pin the unit details and you can mouse over all the stuff to get the popups and see what it really means. It also lets you compare units, it puts a mark on the stats to show what your pinned unit's stats are compared the one you have selected.

• Locked thread