Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'll often re-start the map a few times to get a good starting location. I love being at the "gate" to a whole dead-end arm, quickly securing it and then having it all to myself. Then having a huge meltdown when my defence pact buddy builds an outpost in the middle of it destroying my pretty borders!!!!!

There's a mod that allows for a true hyperlane only setting with no jump drives right? I love jump drives but once they spread your hyperlane map becomes meaningless. I really hope wiz does something cool with a movement re-think. I'd love someting like hyperlane default but with the ability to "enhance" lanes or build new ones. So within your empire you could have a chain of upgraded hyperlanes that make in-empire movement very quick, but then you slow down to regular hyperlane speeds in enemy/undeveloped territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I find .25 planets is still a good amount, I'd love to play on bigger maps but just with more "empty" space. How do you do 5% ? Custom map mod?

You just need to edit a single file.

under map\setup_scenarios there's a list of the different galaxy sizes, this is what my 100 star galaxy looks like:

code:
setup_scenario = {
	name = "huge"
	priority = 4					#priority decides in which order the scenarios are listed
	num_stars = 1000
	radius = 450					#should be less than 500, preferably less than ~460
	num_empires = { min = 0 max = 21 }	#limits player customization
	num_empire_default = 11
	fallen_empire_default = 4
	fallen_empire_max = 4
	advanced_empire_default = 4
	colonizable_planet_odds = 0.25
	primitive_odds = 1.0
	crisis_strength = 1.5

cluster_count = {
		method = one_every_x_empire
		#method = constant
		value = 1
		max = 6
	}
	cluster_radius = 150
	cluster_distance_from_core = 300

num_nebulas	= 10
	nebula_size = 60
	nebula_min_dist = 200

supports_shape = elliptical
	supports_shape = spiral_2
	supports_shape = spiral_4
	supports_shape = ring
}
under map\galaxy there's a list of the different shapes, this is what my two arm spiral looks like:

code:
# SPIRAL WITH 2 ARMS

core_radius_perc = 0.20				# Core radius is 30% of the galaxy radius

arms = {
	tightness_winding = 1.1			# Tightness of winding
	width = 50.0					# Arm width in degrees
	fuzz = 65.0						# Maximum outliers distance from arms
	seperation = 180.0				# Separation (in degrees) between each arm	
}

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"I'm strong and have tropical preference, you could never understand my kind!"
"I and my 499,999,999 closest neighbours have been torn down to the genetic bedrock to be the perfect power plant operators slash day traders. The next town over is some kind of science hub where everyone screams incoherent streams of data at each other. The farmers literally piss fertiliser, and we're all being cyborged next week."
"...trooopical preeeference....

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, elliptical galaxies kinda suck since you're guaranteed to end up stuck and stagnating unless you're BFFs with everyone.

Now this is untrue, I had the opposite happen to me on several occasions. In spiral galaxies I'd suddenly end up wedged in between two powers with no way out, in elliptical galaxies it was always possible for me to slip around their borders and wreak havoc.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Libluini posted:

Now this is untrue, I had the opposite happen to me on several occasions. In spiral galaxies I'd suddenly end up wedged in between two powers with no way out, in elliptical galaxies it was always possible for me to slip around their borders and wreak havoc.

See, I've never had that happen in a spiral but I've had plenty of unfriendly empires expand up and down before I can slip through.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

THE loving MOON posted:

I tried doing that once and while it pretty much guarantees that's you're not gonna have a game cut short by getting boxed in somewhere, I really like working around the weird poo poo you get in a mostly random start. Advanced starts are pretty annoying though

Different strokes and all that. I usually don't even like to consider anything other than expansion/economy-building until I have a good 8-10 planets colonized. I almost always go Expansion + Prosperity to those ends as well, though I'm thinking of changing it up with a "taller" build on my next playthrough (I skipped habitats in my current machine empire playthrough because I had plenty of size 13-15 worlds sitting around not colonized yet, didn't see a point to getting habitats).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

hobbesmaster posted:

Can you not selectively purge a subspecies?

You cannot, believe it or not :(

e; Idea. To make food more useful/important, what if you needed it to terraform and build ringworld segments? I mean biomass is kind of central to those procedures, so...

e2; Or to ensure you don't starve, just an edict where excess food stops giving pop growth while active and instead reduces terraforming/ringworld build times.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 3, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Obviously the solution is to move them to their own plant, grant them independence, declare war on them, then bomb them from orbit until they die.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Magil Zeal posted:

I got some roach refugees

Hope they enjoy being bio-trophies

So I guess the AI uplifted them and then exiled them? Kinda funny.

Prolly wont have gone the exact same way, but this happened to me, only I got something like four kinds of uplifted refugee. Finally clicked on to what was happening when I realised they were all fleeing a devourer hivemind who had just overrun the AI empire who spent most of the game uplifting presentients instead of building fleets.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

turn off the TV posted:

Obviously the solution is to move them to their own plant, grant them independence, declare war on them, then bomb them from orbit until they die.
Last I heard, you can't kill the last pop on a planet by bombardment.

Now, I suppose if you move in a bunch of regular humans with them, and you're lucky in which ones get killed by the bombing...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish destroyed enclaves had a chance of becoming refugees and you could pay to help them set up in your territory. Nearly every game I've played has had nearly every enclave eliminated by mid-game due to purifiers or swarms or space monsters destroying them. They could pick the empire they had the best relationship with and you'd get a little event where you could pay a ton of energy and minerals to help them set up a new station.

Also, is there any way to console command or save edit a new enclave ? It's really awful playing "tall" without a trader around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Alright, how do I deal with these self-modified fuckos who think they're too good to be genemodded back in line? Because right now the only thing I can think of is make their planet a vassal, then de-vassalize them, then attack and bombard them from orbit until they die by chance.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely willing to do that, but I'm hoping there's a solution that would be quicker to achieve.

You can research the technology to change climate preference.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

You can research the technology to change climate preference.
You can't genemod self-modified pops, full stop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

THE loving MOON posted:

What map types do y'all like? I pretty much always go for huge 4 arm spiral and just go until something completely stops me from going any further or I look around and realize nothing can stop me.

2 arm spiral hyperlanes only creates a nice mix of islands of planets with occasional bridges between and chokepoints on the arms.

Honestly more mapgen options like clusters linked by strings of worlds and long hyperlanes would be nice.

Strudel Man posted:

You can't genemod self-modified pops, full stop.

The hell sense does that make?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

The hell sense does that make?
Little to none!

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Strudel Man posted:

Last I heard, you can't kill the last pop on a planet by bombardment.

Now, I suppose if you move in a bunch of regular humans with them, and you're lucky in which ones get killed by the bombing...

This is what the glassing mod is for. A+++ would perform atrocities again.

L0VE
May 3, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'll often re-start the map a few times to get a good starting location. I love being at the "gate" to a whole dead-end arm, quickly securing it and then having it all to myself. Then having a huge meltdown when my defence pact buddy builds an outpost in the middle of it destroying my pretty borders!!!!!

There's a mod that allows for a true hyperlane only setting with no jump drives right? I love jump drives but once they spread your hyperlane map becomes meaningless. I really hope wiz does something cool with a movement re-think. I'd love someting like hyperlane default but with the ability to "enhance" lanes or build new ones. So within your empire you could have a chain of upgraded hyperlanes that make in-empire movement very quick, but then you slow down to regular hyperlane speeds in enemy/undeveloped territory.

I use the True Hyperdrive-only mod which replaces Fallen Empires Jump Drives with a stronger hyperdrive. I believe it still works as a dangerous tech as well so you don't miss out on the Unbidden.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'd like to see some different stuff done with warp drive, like making it do multiple hyperlane jumps at once instead of traveling anywhere in warp range, or making the travel anywhere part be very short ranged. That would make FTL snares still applicable, since they could yank anything jumping over them out of warp. Maybe they could redirect any wormhole jumps in their system or adjacent ones to themselves too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My dream for FTL in Stellaris would be a system where hyperlanes are created by stations built by empires linking two systems together, with the game beginning with a derelict precursor network crossing the whole galaxy. Any ship would be able to travel to pretty much any star by default, but warp travel would be incredibly slow and would never really be much improved, so in order to really set up an empire you would need to create a highway system of hyperspace gates in order to cut down on warp travel time.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

turn off the TV posted:

My dream for FTL in Stellaris would be a system where hyperlanes are created by stations built by empires linking two systems together, with the game beginning with a derelict precursor network crossing the whole galaxy. Any ship would be able to travel to pretty much any star by default, but warp travel would be incredibly slow and would never really be much improved, so in order to really set up an empire you would need to create a highway system of hyperspace gates in order to cut down on warp travel time.

This is good. You gotta build space highways. And that means hyperspace bypasses.

Sorry primitives.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

get on my level

Ended the Commonwealth game, it was running real slow anyway so not really worth sticking it out for some gene-modded fools when it's such a pain to deal with them!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

This is good. You gotta build space highways. And that means hyperspace bypasses.

Sorry primitives.

As long as it doesn't transform into a game all about space-traffic management like Cities Skylines.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You guys play with some weird rear end galaxy settings. Personally I like Large 4 arm spirals, with extra AI empires, Advanced Starts on, Advanced Neighbours off, and at least 3 FEs. The idea being to avoid having empty areas where one power can just balloon at zero cost. The large amount of empires also means anybody who wants them can find friends. You will get boxed in, but that's what fleets are for. Hard difficulty to give the AI half a chance.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Update on my wars:

Awakened Empire found a way to my planets after all and I had to give up a frontier station and 2 planets from a recently incorporated vassal to keep the other wars going. The one with more of my people on it later rebelled and was welcomed back with open arms

The xenophobes were beaten badly and handed over three planets to one of my Federation members, as well as the associated humiliation and total destruction of their fleets, as well as every station of one xenophobe.

The Hive Mind forced a peace that took a planet from a member of my Federation before I could start hammering them with my fleets after they got through the Xenophobes.

The year is 2400, I have 200k fleet power with jump drives, and no sign of a crisis yet. The Hive Mind recently went to war with the Xenophobes, who are in rough shape after I occupied every planet owned by one of them.

I did get to see a suicide landing by 30 armies on a world I had pulled troops off of, but was otherwise fully fortified. The last troop ships of that empire decided to risk it landing instead of fighting in space, which resulted in a months long siege against the militias until my army came back and ended that invasion.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

On small settings you run out of room to explore really fast and get boxed in, but on big maps management becomes a nightmare. Empires only blob, they never fall apart, so if you don't start with a huge number of AI's you end up with just a handful of boring mega-blobs by the mid game.

Everything would be better if hyper-expansion and territorially vast empires, unless managed right, had a strong chance of instability and falling apart once things go wrong.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Everything would be better if hyper-expansion and territorially vast empires, unless managed right, had a strong chance of instability and falling apart once things go wrong.

And yet few things would turn me off the game more quickly.

4X, one of the X's is Expand. It's a game where I build an empire. Let me do that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

turn off the TV posted:

So.... Wormholes?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Magil Zeal posted:

4X, one of the X's is Expand. It's a game where I build an empire. Let me do that.

You wouldn't enjoy humiliating that militarist slave empire next to you that gobbled up a quarter of the galaxy and seeing unrest and instability go through the roof resulting in rebellions they can't put down because you destroyed their fleet in the previous war?

You can lose wars in this game which prevents you from expanding as well. You can build an empire, why not? Just make sure you're building it on a solid foundation and can keep it.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Xae posted:

I think they changed something to prevent save scumming this patch.

I tried to save scum the psionic drives Shroud event dozens of times and they all failed.

Don't judge, I was in a conference call.

Dunno if the shroud works the same as other special projects, but I'm pretty sure the end result of most stuff gets saved about ten seconds before the project finishes so you can't wait for it to get right near the end and savescum.

Can't claim to have investigated this properly but in a couple of games I've gotten projects that give pretty good rewards and made two saves. The one with a few seconds till the countdown inevitably gave the same kind of outcome over 20-25 tries, while the save from right when the project starts has a much better chance of different outcomes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

On small settings you run out of room to explore really fast and get boxed in, but on big maps management becomes a nightmare.

I've not really found this to be the case, its exactly what sectors are for. They're pretty capable if you set them up correctly. Are you sitting around all day paused trying to manage like 15 planets or some poo poo?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eej posted:

So.... Wormholes?

Kind of, except the stations would only be able to link with other stations, and only one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

See, I've never had that happen in a spiral but I've had plenty of unfriendly empires expand up and down before I can slip through.

One weird trick to stop them is using your influence aggressively by building frontier outposts in places to strategically keep corridors open. (Also I guess it helps if you prefer to play on large maps with not that many empires to begin with. :v: )

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

You wouldn't enjoy humiliating that militarist slave empire next to you that gobbled up a quarter of the galaxy and seeing unrest and instability go through the roof resulting in rebellions they can't put down because you destroyed their fleet in the previous war?

You can lose wars in this game which prevents you from expanding as well. You can build an empire, why not? Just make sure you're building it on a solid foundation and can keep it.

The only time I've lost a war in Stellaris is when I left advanced starts on, and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. It wasn't interesting or fun, it was a die roll where I had an advanced start Democratic Crusader empire start next to my Pacifist Caste-System slavery empire.

There are a couple of problems with what you're proposing. First, selecting any hive mind or now machine empire is basically selecting "unrest = never". Second, there'd be nothing satisfying about the first scenario because it's a given if I've destroyed their fleets, I've beaten them and they are at my mercy. What does it matter whether it's through conquering their planets via the silly and entirely-too-limiting War Goals or via watching it destroy itself via unrest? I've won either way, whichever way is quicker would be my preference. Finally, the original tone of your post made it sound (to me) like having a large empire (which to me is the entire point of playing a game like Stellaris) would be basically being constantly on the razor's edge, where one wrong move results in the empire falling apart. Which wouldn't be fun at all.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 3, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PittTheElder posted:

I've not really found this to be the case, its exactly what sectors are for. They're pretty capable if you set them up correctly. Are you sitting around all day paused trying to manage like 15 planets or some poo poo?

Yes, because otherwise the AI will build a lab on the +3 mineral tile and a mine on the +3 physics tile then move your mining robot onto the farm and the natural sociologist off the society lab and onto your mine and then build 60 power plants for some reason. Sectors don't optimise or seem to care about pop bonuses which make multi-species empires and robo/gene modding totally useless. No sector setting produces results that don't make me mad.
You turn off respect resources and the AI then totally ignores them and does silly stuff like put the mine on the food bonus and the farm on the mineral bonus even though there's plenty of free space for both.
You turn on respect resources and the AI then nearly refuses to build anything that would ignore the tile resource under it.
You turn off redevelopment and unless you hand-built the planet before handing it over, they'll do something stupid like fill the planet with power plants because the sector was low on power, but never switch them to something else when the power situation is better.
You turn on redevelopment and the AI spends all its resources constantly demolishing and rebuilding poo poo and ruining anything you hand-made.

But now we can fiddle with sectors any time we want, which is really nice, but it still means constantly checking up on systems and moving pops around and replacing buildings here and there. You can say "well don't worry about that, accept sectors will always be flawed" but then what the hell is the point of the pop and tile system? Why have all this super detailed species bonuses and robot traits when the game forces you to hand-micro to get any benefit from them?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Yes, because otherwise the AI will build a lab on the +3 mineral tile and a mine on the +3 physics tile then move your mining robot onto the farm and the natural sociologist off the society lab and onto your mine and then build 60 power plants for some reason. Sectors don't optimise or seem to care about pop bonuses which make multi-species empires and robo/gene modding totally useless. No sector setting produces results that don't make me mad.
You turn off respect resources and the AI then totally ignores them and does silly stuff like put the mine on the food bonus and the farm on the mineral bonus even though there's plenty of free space for both.
You turn on respect resources and the AI then nearly refuses to build anything that would ignore the tile resource under it.
You turn off redevelopment and unless you hand-built the planet before handing it over, they'll do something stupid like fill the planet with power plants because the sector was low on power, but never switch them to something else when the power situation is better.
You turn on redevelopment and the AI spends all its resources constantly demolishing and rebuilding poo poo and ruining anything you hand-made.

But now we can fiddle with sectors any time we want, which is really nice, but it still means constantly checking up on systems and moving pops around and replacing buildings here and there. You can say "well don't worry about that, accept sectors will always be flawed" but then what the hell is the point of the pop and tile system? Why have all this super detailed species bonuses and robot traits when the game forces you to hand-micro to get any benefit from them?

Just relax, everything is gonna be alright

Also the secret answer you're searching for is: "Because it's fun!"

(And until Wiz personally kicks down my door and forces me with two revolvers held to both sides of my head, I'll never torture myself with too much micro. Hell, I'm someone who made like 20 robo-templates over the course of his last game and even I just stop caring after throwing my planets into a sector. This weird compulsion some people have to do everything sounds really creepy to me, tbh)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=922445647

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I had to come up with a new template for my company's fire door signs. I suggested adding smoke to the door and might have traced a certain alien for the smoke cloud and the licks of flames might feel like tentacles to certain folk...

This will be going up all over the city. It's subtle, but I know it's there.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Magil Zeal posted:

There is nothing that players more claim they want yet utterly despise in practice than for their empires to fall apart.

It's one of those things were many players really, really do not understand what they actually want out of games (for other empires to fall apart but their own empire to always be 100% stable due to their clearly genius rule).

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wiz posted:

There is nothing that players more claim they want yet utterly despise in practice than for their empires to fall apart.

It's one of those things were many players really, really do not understand what they actually want out of games (for other empires to fall apart but their own empire to always be 100% stable due to their clearly genius rule).

I would like for the option to continually build upon what I've created and keep pushing to build something superior with the base I've established.

You're right that constantly having to piece my empire back together like a broken mug until it was unrecognizable would be really frustrating, especially when everyone else around you continued to accellerate, but just getting a planet and playing with it until its full only allows for so much eXpanding as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I would like for the option to continually build upon what I've created and keep pushing to build something superior with the base I've established.

You're right that constantly having to piece my empire back together like a broken mug until it was unrecognizable would be really frustrating, especially when everyone else around you continued to accellerate, but just getting a planet and playing with it until its full only allows for so much eXpanding as well.

That, I agree on. I don't really like how the tile system just makes planets fill up and not be significantly improvable for the rest of the game.

Stay tuned on that topic.

• Locked thread