Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MJeff posted:

God, Ted Turner was forced out of the TV business 20 years ago, he's basically loving braindead at this point and he STILL lives in Vince's head.

I wish Ted wasn't braindead. The man loved his wrasslin' and he would have loved to see AEW taking it to Vince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WWE's numbers don't match reality. Particularly their merch numbers.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I feel they've been using the line "X isn't our competition, Everything is our competition" since JCP.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

one eye sees Ted the other Phil musnick

He's STILL so mad about Phil Mushnick he's making a loving movie about how that Damned Dirty Mushnick tried to end his life via reporting on his actual crimes nearly 30 years later

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Vandar posted:

I wish Ted wasn't braindead. The man loved his wrasslin' and he would have loved to see AEW taking it to Vince.

Yeah, mostly I just wish he didn't have dementia because I wouldn't wish dementia or alzheimers on my worst loving enemy but also it would've been really cool to see him backstage at AEW one time or something.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Raskolnikov38 posted:

one eye sees Ted the other Phil musnick

lmao

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Drakkel posted:

He's STILL so mad about Phil Mushnick he's making a loving movie about how that Damned Dirty Mushnick tried to end his life via reporting on his actual crimes nearly 30 years later

naw man a movie is small-time, that's like two hours tops. this is a full-rear end tv series babey

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

There will absolutely be new actors playing Taker, Austin, Rock, Mankind etc sooner than later, they’ll basically do reboots and remakes forever at some point just like comic book movies and by then comic movies might not even be popular anymore

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Eat My Fuc posted:

There will absolutely be new actors playing Taker, Austin, Rock, Mankind etc sooner than later, they’ll basically do reboots and remakes forever at some point just like comic book movies and by then comic movies might not even be popular anymore

Nah, they're gonna go full CGI at some point and not even need real wrestlers anymore. People will be paying tickets to watch 2k20 matches projected into the ring via holograms

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eagerly awaiting Mania 2030 main event of CGI Rocks vs Hatsune Miku vs CGI Dean Ambrose

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I like how they were given the opportunity to be magnanimous with the “rising tides lift all boats” line and Vince was like “it is absolutely not high tide.”

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Eagerly awaiting Mania 2030 main event of CGI Rocks vs Hatsune Miku vs CGI Dean Ambrose

BAH GAWD IT’S CGI ROMAN, HE’S TAKEN THEM ALL OUT

(Everyone else is top of the line perfect CGI, Roman is the 2021 Roman CGI)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Wrong thread

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Drakkel posted:

Nah, they're gonna go full CGI at some point and not even need real wrestlers anymore. People will be paying tickets to watch 2k20 matches projected into the ring via holograms

Finally the resurgence of VGCW we've all been waiting for.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I like how they were given the opportunity to be magnanimous with the “rising tides lift all boats” line and Vince was like “it is absolutely not high tide.”

It’s not… Raw’s up the creek without a paddle!

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

They'll just use modern Superstars so they can try and promote the brand, and they can't make stars on Raw/Smackdown/NXT

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Drakkel posted:

Baz wins Observer Best Booker 2026

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jackie D posted:

We have 30 years of evidence with Vince that that isnt the case, having control over the industry, being the industry, is more important than making money to him. Punk was right

I don't think Vince really cares about the wrestling industry, to be honest. He wants his company to be known for entertainment and that's why they've branched out with all the tv and movies and poo poo. They want to be Disney.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think Vince really cares about the wrestling industry, to be honest. He wants his company to be known for entertainment and that's why they've branched out with all the tv and movies and poo poo. They want to be Disney.

A few months ago some WWE suit said they literally want to be the next Disney/Marvel. That lodged in my mind like a splinter.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

If you didn’t listen to it, I really can’t stress how funny it is for Vince to be saying unhinged weirdo poo poo to investment bankers when AEW gets brought up and then Nick Khan panic jumping in to save face with some business talk

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Jackie D posted:

We have 30 years of evidence with Vince that that isnt the case, having control over the industry, being the industry, is more important than making money to him. Punk was right
I watched Punk's Pipebomb earlier this evening and can't stress enough how well it has aged.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They want to be marvel. Vince only saw the first and last 10 minutes of Loki, which is why they debuted a superhero as a loser fuckface nerd.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Golden Bee posted:

They want to be marvel. Vince only saw the first and last 10 minutes of Loki, which is why they debuted a superhero as a loser fuckface nerd.

God it would be so cool if a wrestler's gimmick was that they're MCU Loki

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
That sounds more like a AAA gimmick.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

A few months ago some WWE suit said they literally want to be the next Disney/Marvel. That lodged in my mind like a splinter.

The MCU is a babyface centric promotion though, they have like three good pure heels maximum, you'd think he'd learn some lessons from them

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

El Generico posted:

The MCU is a babyface centric promotion though, they have like three good pure heels maximum, you'd think he'd learn some lessons from them

well marvel also did give a god push to a heel that would show up every couple movies for a couple minutes and was so much more powerful than everyone else that it kind of made them look like a joke and then once he was defeated and left everyone kinda stopped tuning in

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Infinity War definitely had some WWE-tier stupid babyfaces in it.

And then it turns out fate required them to be that stupid for things to have turned out okay.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

shiksa posted:

well marvel also did give a god push to a heel that would show up every couple movies for a couple minutes and was so much more powerful than everyone else that it kind of made them look like a joke and then once he was defeated and left everyone kinda stopped tuning in

Did they? The Megapowers in the top two Face slots passed their torches to two of their best Midcarders basically right after they beat that heel, and everyone seems to be into them.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Did they? The Megapowers in the top two Face slots passed their torches to two of their best Midcarders basically right after they beat that heel, and everyone seems to be into them.

Arachnaman?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Sanguinia posted:

idk is batman still around i dont watch those

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
WWE would rather abolish sleep than put on a good show.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

If Vince could learn one thing from the MCU, I wish it was push new talent. Latter half of phase 3 and now phase 4 has been mostly newer faces instead of the original Avengers cast.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Evil Badman posted:

If Vince could learn

I’ll stop you right there

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/WWERollins/status/1420944965002223616

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
The whole "We wont acknowledge our competitors" thing worked for Nintendo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

JUNGLE BOY posted:

If you didn’t listen to it, I really can’t stress how funny it is for Vince to be saying unhinged weirdo poo poo to investment bankers when AEW gets brought up and then Nick Khan panic jumping in to save face with some business talk

Can you give a few examples?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

shiksa posted:

But enough about Brock Lesnar.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

But enough about Brock Lesnar.

that’s the joke dip rear end!!!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that’s the joke dip rear end!!!

I DON’T KNOW ABOUT MARVEL MOVIES