Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gully Foyle posted:

There's at least one execution of an unarmed prisoner of war, which I think counts.

There's also that scene where the modern SS liquidates a mental hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

CoD 3 took place around the same time as Wittmann's death, and missed a great opportunity for the player to chumpstomp him imo.

Isn't there a mission where you fight a Tiger with a Firefly? Naturally, you must get point blank and shoot it right in the rear to kill it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think the angry internet backlash from that four player co-op Kellies Heroes sort of game they slapped the franchises name onto scared them from ever touching the licence ever again. Hilariously, the Payday 2 guys are making the exact same slightly more serious version of that game.

Would be nice if they actually brought that series back. I enjoyed the later games on console and actually using real world squad tactics just feels more fun that charging blindly running and gunning Rough Rider style all over the place.

Allegedly they're working on a sequel, but the last news was nearly two years ago and they haven't said anything since. I'd like to believe we'll see a new entry in the franchise someday, but considering the BiA series was always fairly niche, and several of the last few major titles Gearbox worked on flopped, I have my doubts there's enough financial incentive to return.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They should roll the dice, a frigging WW1 themed FPS game worked so why not?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
It's not really about the setting, it's about the genre-Battlefield One is a multiplayer-focused, fast paced shooter, and there's a large established market for those games. Brothers in Arms is a slower paced tactical shooter in the vein of the classic Rainbow Six games, and the market for those titles is a lot smaller. It's unfortunate, since I'd buy like six loving copies, but that's how the market is these days.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well the latest Rainbow Six is also doing pretty well, It keeps popping in and out the STEAM charts. I'd certainly put money down on it more than the next Call Of Duty at release.

So uh, how goes the whole using games to train soldiers in the US/other armies these days?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

CoD 3 took place around the same time as Wittmann's death, and missed a great opportunity for the player to chumpstomp him imo.
Company of Heroes had you fighting against Tiger ace Michael Wittmann "Gunter Schultz".

Unfortunately pretty much all of CoH's tank stuff is straight out of Death Traps. CoH2 manages to be even worse in its treatment of the Soviets.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

The first moden Medal of Honor is actually not terrible in terms of campaign. It's a reasonably accurate retelling of the invasion of Afghanistan right up to Operation Anaconda in 2002. I had as much fun playing it as I did any other greybrown modern shotmans campaign TBH. Possibly even more.

I don't usually do multiplayer but the single player campaign in this game was not bad at all. I enjoyed it a great deal.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I liked the treatment of Tigers in Men or War. They could be awesome in the right hands, but if you played smart they were still incredibly vulnerable, same as any tank.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The 1st Infantry Division saw action everywhere starting with Operation Torch. I'm sure plenty of GIs fought straight through November 42 to VE Day.

Sam Fuller, director of The Big Red One was a veteran of the 1ID and saw combat in North Africa, Italy, Normandy, and helped liberate a concentration camp in Czechoslovakia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srVJsCRJJLc

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I seem to remember some RTS or other that made the Tiger incredibly powerful, but saddled it with a rather realistic weakness: the things would constantly break down forcing you to bring up a repair crew to spend resources getting it moving again every time, and they couldn't pass through even light terrain without breaking down every two seconds. Powerful, but a ridiculous headache to deal with as their owner.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So any more recommendations for books on the Vietnam War? A Bright Shining Lie is more of a biography of one dude than a history isn't it?

Anything by Bernard Fall.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Rising Storm was a pretty good semi-realisitic WW2 shooter that came out a few years ago. Same devs as Red Orchestra. RS was set entirely in the Pacific theater and had some great intense asymmetrical fights. Rising Storm 2 is coming out soon and is set in Vietnam, I've watched some beta footage and it looks really cool.

Edit: One of the most hilarious parts of Rising Storm was bonzai charging when playing as Japanese. It's since been replaced with how hilarious bayonet charges are in BF1.

Live At Five! fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 27, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
A bonsai charge would be interesting to watch. Dozens of tiny ents charging along a battlefield.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ensign Expendable posted:

A bonsai charge would be interesting to watch. Dozens of tiny ents charging along a battlefield.

drat you, I've been laughing like an idiot for a couple of minutes.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Was Rising Storm multiplayer-only?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

my dad posted:

drat you, I've been laughing like an idiot for a couple of minutes.

Welp that's what I deserve for checking spelling on Wikipedia. I'm going to keep the typo.

And yes its multiplayer only.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Forgotten Hope was the best realism WW2 mod from 1942 and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Like this?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

GotLag posted:

Company of Heroes had you fighting against Tiger ace Michael Wittmann "Gunter Schultz".

Unfortunately pretty much all of CoH's tank stuff is straight out of Death Traps. CoH2 manages to be even worse in its treatment of the Soviets.
T-34s made of literal paper with how fast they go down. :(

The sound and voice effects do make it immersive at least.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well the latest Rainbow Six is also doing pretty well, It keeps popping in and out the STEAM charts. I'd certainly put money down on it more than the next Call Of Duty at release.

So uh, how goes the whole using games to train soldiers in the US/other armies these days?

Pretty sure the Arma guys are still selling this to all and sundry -

https://bisimulations.com/

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Live At Five! posted:

Rising Storm was a pretty good semi-realisitic WW2 shooter that came out a few years ago. Same devs as Red Orchestra. RS was set entirely in the Pacific theater and had some great intense asymmetrical fights. Rising Storm 2 is coming out soon and is set in Vietnam, I've watched some beta footage and it looks really cool.

Edit: One of the most hilarious parts of Rising Storm was bonzai charging when playing as Japanese. It's since been replaced with how hilarious bayonet charges are in BF1.

Are the players as completely insufferable as the ones playing Red Orchestra?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Was Rising Storm multiplayer-only?

Yes and the developers weren't the guys who did RO2.

RocktheCaulk posted:

Forgotten Hope was the best realism WW2 mod from 1942 and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

Seriously, it was a crude simple realism that really worked but no other games or mods ever emulated it. I always felt bad for Battlegroup despite how good it looked, that BF1942 mod was solid gold and I couldn't touch anything else.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I played Forgotten Hope and FH2 for like 8 years straight it felt like, there were organized 32v32 tournament things for it that were some of the best multiplayer games I've ever played in any game ever.

I actually got on SA through people I used to play it with.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah, Those organised campaign tournies were great. I went back to one a few years ago and it was sadly a shadow of it's former self. They really dropped the ball when it came to social media and updating their site until very recently, plus well the Battlefield games losing their mod friendly nature hurt them hard.

I had the most fun with FH2 when somehow a server allowed 200 players to play was active. Great fun, slightly chaotic and it broke some of the maps but felt good. Shame every time that Mod drops new content the die hards play it to death while ignoring the early stuff.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

SeanBeansShako posted:

I played a convoy simulator before deploying to Afghanistan in 2012. We made it through two minutes before we got a game over because we hit a goat coming out of the gate.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That is one important virtual goat.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

kraken! posted:

I played a convoy simulator before deploying to Afghanistan in 2012. We made it through two minutes before we got a game over because we hit a goat coming out of the gate.

War's over boys, we lost, turn it around.

Also, convoy driving in a country with insurgents sounds like one of the scariest things in the world, going by the accounts I've read

That said, I would absolutely play Iraqi truck simulator if that were the next sequel in that series

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
IIRC someone thought it was unlikely for Red Army soldiers to make it from Stalingrad to Berlin, IIRC Katakov's Tank Guards Brigade actually managed to fight the war from Stalingrad to Berlin.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

my favorite quote

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The M3 is such a stupid looking tank.

It's like it has tank cancer and started growing random tank-like growths all over the chassis.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mycroft Holmes posted:

my favorite quote

This is awesome, what is it from?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

The M3 is such a stupid looking tank.

It's like it has tank cancer and started growing random tank-like growths all over the chassis.

There is a very reasonable sequence of design decisions leading up to the design which starts with "let's shove nine machineguns into a single tank".

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What are some of the other derpiest-looking tanks of history (I'm willing to count prototypes that never made it to the field if they're funny-looking enough)? I've always been partial to the KV-2.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sturmpanzer I

or this

Well, I guess frankentanks are sorta cheating but whatever

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that a Pak 38 welded to the top of a kettenkrad?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Forgotten Hope's best map was the invasion of Crete. If only for the shenanigans of the entire German team trying to cram into the single Ju-52, dodgy physics and all.

20 in the cabin bouncing around, usually lost at least three to glitching through the plane walls. Five on each wing surfing the entire way :allears:

God I wish I could play that mod again, but I'm assuming it's dead as hell since the GameSpy shutdown.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Is that a Pak 38 welded to the top of a kettenkrad?

Its a Pak 40 on a RSO, a fully tracked truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Isn't there a mission where you fight a Tiger with a Firefly? Naturally, you must get point blank and shoot it right in the rear to kill it.

You killed "Richter" in one of the Polish tanker missions, who they called the "Black Baron" so basically a legally safe Wittman. I think he drives a Tiger 2.

Yeah, come to think of it, games love doing the "BUT BOTH SIDES" while never really showing Nazis doing bad things besides executing a person here or there. I remember CoH 2 being the flat-out worst about it with its depictions of pleading/crying Nazis being executed and not a single Soviet shown killed by a German (while plenty are killed by their own side). CoD:WaW is a close second that conists of about 3 hours of Gary Oldman screaming at you to execute surrendering Germans, while the Japanese are portrayed as shitheads. I think one problem is that games are afraid of depicting stuff like the holocaust or mass genocide as they may not handle it well, so ironically you get a situation where the Allies are the only ones shown as executing German prisoners or some such. I can think of two games that depicted concentration camps, one of them being New Order (where you see healthy, muscular people just doing lever-pulling labor and ends with a stompy robot combat section), and Valkyria Chronicles (which I shouldn't need to qualify when I mention how stupid it is to even bring it up).