Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Arsene is def the worst designed main Persona imo. His hat too tall for he goddamn head and he got dumb knife shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Just finished the game. The final battle was sooooo good even though I was able to cheese the gently caress out of it by having already summoned Yoshitsune and Satan.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Just beat the 5th major boss and I entirely didn't realize the link between hunger and the boss's main attack. Made that way harder than it needed to be

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The negotiation system is terrible, the answers don't fit into any categories.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Welcome to SMT negotiation!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Even so, this is still the most consistent negotiation has been in the series. Why, just the other evening I answered the same way to the same demon and it actually worked!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rangpur posted:

Even so, this is still the most consistent negotiation has been in the series.

Nah, Persona 1 and 2 have it based entirely on the demon so that's the most consistent. Here, it's based on the randomly determined personality.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arsene is visually consistent with the rest of the party's bespoke personas rather than being a generic SMT demon. It's why I like to use him, the dlc personas, and satanael.

It's true his knife shoes are extremely silly but that's why you build him for support or magic instead of physical attacks, since his magic use animation is much swankier. Lol if you're bothered by his wings though

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Peachfart posted:

The negotiation system is terrible, the answers don't fit into any categories.

Just do what I do, look at the personality, then say each answer out loud with that kinda voice. Like Gloomy types sound like Eeyore. :v:

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Deki posted:

Just beat the 5th major boss and I entirely didn't realize the link between hunger and the boss's main attack. Made that way harder than it needed to be

Don't sweat it too much, because trying to actually use that interaction will probably backfire if you've got your party members up to the status ailment cure thing.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So I was wondering what determined your options to hang out when you're on the Hawaii trip. I only had Ryuji as an option, while my brother had Hifumi and Makoto available.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So I was wondering what determined your options to hang out when you're on the Hawaii trip. I only had Ryuji as an option, while my brother had Hifumi and Makoto available.

Each character you can hang out with then has a different minimum confidant level to make them an option. I believe Ann and Kawakami will only be options if you're in a romantic relationship with them, Hifumi and Makoto both just require levels somewhere around the middle?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I did just learn that if you deny makoto's relationship she won't show up on the list. Sadly I can't have a cool Hawaii trip with chihaya. The parameters on that are weird.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Between the typos, the odd phrasing, the(as of April 15) weaker story and characters than P4, and the horrible negotiation system I'm feeling a bit down about the game.
Going to stick with it and hope things get better.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Peachfart posted:

(as of April 15)

Dude, you've barely started.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Peachfart posted:

Between the typos, the odd phrasing, the(as of April 15) weaker story and characters than P4, and the horrible negotiation system I'm feeling a bit down about the game.

Wait until you get a few more party members, then you'll change your tune.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TheLoser posted:

Dude, you've barely started.

I am well aware of that, which is why I am sticking with it. These are just problems P4 didn't have(other than the occasional awkward translation). Problems that make it more difficult to enjoy what is mostly a story driven game.
Very hopeful things will get better.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
No yeah I agree that it totally sucks that during the prologue you get to see characters with characterisation that aren't "here's Yosuke in a trash can for the eleventh time this week and now Chie kicks him in the balls. Isn't that funny!"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It doesn't get any better. Probably return your copy to the Game Stop.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I would like to say that the battle system is far better than P4, and I like the dungeon mechanics.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Peachfart posted:

The first like 5 hours of persona 4 were not good
Also I found the translation was awkward just for certain characters (mainly adults) and it gets better the more you interact with party members

I'm in July and really liking it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

P5's negotiation system is good imo. By the end of the game it's probably the easiest it's ever been to grab something you want short of just buying them in DeSu.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Only took me two re-dos on Sheriruth 13 to find a Crystal Skull :woop:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Weaker Story and Characters as of the first week is a crazy statement since not only are both non existant, Persona 5 has a much more interesting premise and more nuanced character work as of April 15th

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Peachfart posted:

The characters are so much better than 3 or 4 on the whole in this game, though I guess you won't see that from the literal beginning of the game. Story is much better too imo because the characters are much more competent.

Also negotiation is cool and good and means you're fighting Jack Frost and Anubis and such instead of like "a table" and "sphere with a tongue".

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Also Persona 5 doesn't start with your bro character pissing everywhere in the first dungeon.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
Hmm yes I also enjoyed the seven hours of "welcome to Inaba and here's all your rear end in a top hat friends" before I got to do anything in Persona 4

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Seriously, who's gonna pick Chie, Yosuke, and Nanako dicking around Junes over Ann, Ryuji, and a talking cat going to steal treasure from a castle?

anglachel
May 28, 2012
So is the Persona part of the SMT Universe basically just the dimension where the regularly scheduled apocalypse followed by the throwdown of Chaos vs Law just keeps getting put off by a bunch of meddling kids?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

SpazmasterX posted:

Seriously, who's gonna pick Chie, Yosuke, and Nanako dicking around Junes over Ann, Ryuji, and a talking cat going to steal treasure from a castle?

So far? Me. P4 felt like actual people were talking, and I liked that a lot and haven't seen a level of writing like it in any other games since. Hoping P5 gets there.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

Also Persona 5 doesn't start with your bro character pissing everywhere in the first dungeon.

Or if he does he at least has the decency not to call attention to it.

Story-wise I thought the first few days were a lot stronger in 5 than 4. Shiho's suicide attempt is a lot more powerful than Saki being found dead, and 5's framing story gives it a lot more long-term purpose than 4's weird dream dungeon. The main things 4's opening has going for it are Dojima and Nanako who are more immediately engaging and likeable characters; the initial non-party P5 characters are all more distant and standoffish (obviously deliberately) so it's harder to feel a connection to them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

anglachel posted:

So is the Persona part of the SMT Universe basically just the dimension where the regularly scheduled apocalypse followed by the throwdown of Chaos vs Law just keeps getting put off by a bunch of meddling kids?

I wouldn't really say that. The threats in Persona games are pretty different from the apocalypses of the mainline series.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/Greliz/status/863259403977445376

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
The translation in P5 is pretty disappointing at times though, especially when the voice actors give such good performances for the most part. (There are a couple very noticable exceptions) If they do make a remake, I'd hope that they would at least re-translate some of the unvoiced lines.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It's really hard to evaluate the supporting cast of P5 based on thr first two weeks especially given the circumstances that sent you to Shujin. Sojiro and Kawakami are really lovely people at first yet develop into two of the best characters in the whole series.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MrAptronym posted:

The translation in P5 is pretty disappointing at times though, especially when the voice actors give such good performances for the most part. (There are a couple very noticable exceptions) If they do make a remake, I'd hope that they would at least re-translate some of the unvoiced lines.

I *LOVE* Ann's voice actor.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

anglachel posted:

It's a good place. I enjoy killing god in my JRPG HS-sim more than I want to admit to polite society.

Akechi Y WON'T U LOVE ME

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Firebert posted:

It's really hard to evaluate the supporting cast of P5 based on thr first two weeks especially given the circumstances that sent you to Shujin. Sojiro and Kawakami are really lovely people at first yet develop into two of the best characters in the whole series.

Especially for Sojiro. I love how later he still tries to keep up the faux-tough act even though he really cares.

"You were out late, are you okay? Well I made you coffee and curry how you like it for dinner. U-uh you better not cause trouble!"

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

P5 definitely has the best voice cast for the main party in the series so far, at least as far as English goes (that's the only version I played anyway)

Persona 3 had some great performances and some truly horrific ones.

Persona 4 I thought everyone was excellent except for Chie, who sounds like nails on chalkboard to me no matter the version, original 4, golden, and from what I've heard, Japanese too.

In 5 Haru sometimes needs to lay off the helium but it suits her anyway and the cast as a whole I have zero complaints about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Mr. Shakedown is a piece of poo poo. Thanks for the brilliant recommendation, thread.