Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've noticed a lot of Japanese cars are loving messes compared to what everyone has in mind when they idolize stuff by Top Secret, Rauh Welt, and other big names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think it's the attitude of "If it works, no point making it look pretty if you're going to be messing with it or smash it up next weekend anyway".

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

InitialDave posted:

I think it's the attitude of "If it works, no point making it look pretty if you're going to be messing with it or smash it up next weekend anyway".

The attitude most people THINK Japanese car gangs have is immensely different from the attitudes they actually have (on average, of course there are some bad examples).

Might Car Mods' Kei To The City is a decent take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu6h5IoqkoA

One guy has a fuckton of exhaust pipes out of his car. It looks ridiculous. The host asks why. He says, "That's Mickey and Minnie Mouse" ... "OOOOooooohhhhhh...."

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

My thinking isn't that it's "not pretty", it's that he's got wiring hanging all over his footwell, and a barbell on the back, because he mounted a bunch of poo poo up front, etc. I don't care if it looks good, necessarily, although it's a nice bonus, I just care that it's not built in a sustainable way. If I drop my helmet in the passenger footwell, the ECU will need to be rewired.

If you look at F1, or (a lot of) time attack cars, or really, really talented custom shops, poo poo like that doesn't fly. This looks like some kid with money throwing poo poo together.

Edit: In the interest of keeping this AI, here's a badass 4x4 a local guy built:

Chainlink. All four tires are controlled like excavator limbs, and can rise/drop independently of the others.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 25, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I feel like that car is the perfect example of the basic problem with most people modifying cars - throwing money and parts at it doesn't make it good. Put some time into designing it, rather than just OH I HAVE TWO MOTECS OH NO I DON'T WORRY ABOUT WIRING.

"Eh, it'll fit...somewhere."

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That thing is a hack job. If it's intentional, to fit some rat-rod-esque vibe that I don't understand, whatever, but as it sits, it looks like poo poo.

:black101:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MrYenko posted:

That thing is a hack job. If it's intentional, to fit some rat-rod-esque vibe that I don't understand, whatever, but as it sits, it looks like poo poo.

:black101:

In a loving gaudy-rear end '57 Bel-Air of all things, too.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

I'd like to see someone take this through at a drag strip and see how loudly they get screamed at. The rats nest wiring is one thing, but oil and fuel in the cabin? Plumbing the fuel line next to the drivers seat? Jesus.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Krakkles posted:

Edit: In the interest of keeping this AI, here's a badass 4x4 a local guy built:

Chainlink. All four tires are controlled like excavator limbs, and can rise/drop independently of the others.

He pretty much built the Runners from the Borderlands games. I'm pretty impressed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a legacy camouflaged as a civic.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's a legacy camouflaged as a civic.

Raise it a foot, throw some all terrains on it and I'd beat it like my dick.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Propaganda Bob posted:

I'd like to see someone take this through at a drag strip and see how loudly they get screamed at. The rats nest wiring is one thing, but oil and fuel in the cabin? Plumbing the fuel line next to the drivers seat? Jesus.

He said its a tuning car. I doubt he actually ever drives it like that other than doing burnouts at an event. I bet its made out of spare parts he has lying around the shop unused and he just nerds out over tuning maps at a dyno all day tweaking with poo poo.

Edit: Also I see WAY more dangerous pedestrian poo poo roll into my shop (and drive away when they cant afford to fix it) daily.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 26, 2015

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

That's amazing, any background info on it?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Sudo Echo posted:

That's amazing, any background info on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw1bRlVBL10

I poked around for a bit and was able to find a video and an article in Czech on it

e: Owner's blog: http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/139933/blog/

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

quote:

These longarm kits are getting out of hand

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
wromg thread

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Because somehow this got passed over. It's sexy. :awesome:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

lol what a piece of poo poo.

I still love those bolt in cages that the Japanese love to use.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:stare:

http://makezine.com/2015/02/25/these-hyper-detailed-scratch-built-rc-cars-make-you-question-reality/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Octopus Magic posted:

lol what a piece of poo poo.

I still love those bolt in cages that the Japanese love to use.

Every built up car I've seen come in to our shop from japan has a distinct aura of disposability. They seem to have a really blase attitude about modifying cars in general; you do something for shits and giggles and then move on because there's always another car. If something breaks you just stick the car on a slow boat to wherever and get another one. People in western countries tend to have a really GRRR NURBURGRING PERFECTION attitude toward it and are really, really unable to deal with stuff not being perfect.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

Slavvy posted:

Every built up car I've seen come in to our shop from japan has a distinct aura of disposability. They seem to have a really blase attitude about modifying cars in general; you do something for shits and giggles and then move on because there's always another car. If something breaks you just stick the car on a slow boat to wherever and get another one. People in western countries tend to have a really GRRR NURBURGRING PERFECTION attitude toward it and are really, really unable to deal with stuff not being perfect.

I think there's a lot of grey area between that disaster of a vehicle and "grrr nurburgring perfection" as you say.

Also lol @ the 3 point belts.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 26, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The All-Terrains kill it for me - the scale makes them look like they're ... I dunno, 13" tires on 8" wheels?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That'll teach you to wash it at 90C.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Cat big.

I live in a boring, small Gulf state, miles away from anywhere in interesting. Tonight, I popped into my boring car to visit the boring local market to use their boring ATM. ON the way out, I saw something from the corner of my eye... I doubled back, and snapped a quick picture.

That's what I think it is, isn't it?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Teach posted:

That's what I think it is, isn't it?

Thaaaats a rally fighter. And they're awesome.

I saw em in Vegas all the time going wide drat open.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

These are some cool pictures that I'm sure are gracing many garage walls, but with today's huge selection of turbos and endless tuning capabilities, is there a need for more than two turbos other than "just because we can"? I'm all for people taking on projects and doing new things like this, but is the performance and functionality ever superior to what you could do with two (or less) ? Serious question

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

These are some cool pictures that I'm sure are gracing many garage walls, but with today's huge selection of turbos and endless tuning capabilities, is there a need for more than two turbos other than "just because we can"? I'm all for people taking on projects and doing new things like this, but is the performance and functionality ever superior to what you could do with two (or less) ? Serious question
Veyron?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Edge case I'd say. General rule of thumb seems to be one turbo per 4(+/-1) cylinders, from looking at production cars and some modified.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

That was probably a "because we can" kinda thing.

By the way, the way BMW set their V8 TT motors up is pretty cool.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Edge case I'd say. General rule of thumb seems to be one turbo per 4(+/-1) cylinders, from looking at production cars and some modified.
How is it an "edge case" if it matches your "general rule of thumb" perfectly? One turbo per four or five cylinders, sixteen cylinders, 4 turbos.

BlackMK4 posted:

That was probably a "because we can" kinda thing.

By the way, the way BMW set their V8 TT motors up is pretty cool.
I mean, the whole car was, but what's your point? It's a pretty big jump from a sixteen cylinder, quad-turbo engine to that shitbox drift tune car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Krakkles posted:

How is it an "edge case" if it matches your "general rule of thumb" perfectly? One turbo per four or five cylinders, sixteen cylinders, 4 turbos.
I mean, the whole car was, but what's your point? It's a pretty big jump from a sixteen cylinder, quad-turbo engine to that shitbox drift tune car.

I was in no way defending that drift car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My bad, had two train of thoughts going, it's an edge case in the sense 16 cylinder's aren't the norm (but we wish they were)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I think people are missing the point of that "shitbox drift car". It's the same "because I can" principle. Yeah, it's unrefined and it looks hacked together, but that turbo setup is loving wicked and the entire vehicle is a great example of ingenuity. Think of it as a proof of concept or a test mule. He did it because he wanted to see if he could, it's a project toy. And it's a rad one at that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Stop setting harmful beauty standards for young engines with that valley gap!

T1g4h posted:

I think people are missing the point of that "shitbox drift car". It's the same "because I can" principle. Yeah, it's unrefined and it looks hacked together, but that turbo setup is loving wicked and the entire vehicle is a great example of ingenuity. Think of it as a proof of concept or a test mule. He did it because he wanted to see if he could, it's a project toy. And it's a rad one at that.
People don't have a problem with it not being a finished, polished show car product, just with it looking like essential componentry has been literally thrown together in a manner worthy of thereifixedit. There is a certain minimum standard of work above "well, the fucker runs" that you should aim for, if only to preserve your own sanity.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

Stop setting harmful beauty standards for young engines with that valley gap!
I sat there and looked at the picture after reading your post... flipped the picture upside down, and saw a mechanical beast climbing from between its mother's legs.

I should sleep now.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

T1g4h posted:

nah, it's a bunch of garbage thrown together with no rhyme or real reason and it looks like a bad case of genital warts, "test mule" or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

InitialDave posted:

People don't have a problem with it not being a finished, polished show car product, just with it looking like essential componentry has been literally thrown together in a manner worthy of thereifixedit. There is a certain minimum standard of work above "well, the fucker runs" that you should aim for, if only to preserve your own sanity.

I'm pretty sure at the time of that article most of it was just thrown together. If you read through it, it mentions that the car didn't even have a proper alignment at the time and it was a handful to even drive. I wouldn't be surprised if he cleaned it up at some point but, again, proof of concept in its current form. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I don't mind how hacked together it looks. It's cool as hell, it can be cleaned up later when he knows everything works like it should :v: