Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

I believe he was programmed that way so he wouldn't appear as human. People hated Lore because he was so lifelike or whatever. Data was programmed to be as robotic as possible so people would be more accepting of him.

But those people where Soong was at the time were the equivalent of rural hillbillies.
It would be like making a jet fighter slower to not scare the neighbor's pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe the idea was that contractions would be a useful measuring stick on him being able to evolve out of his initial language processing state. Something deliberately inserted for him to overcome.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I just assumed it was some weird quirk of the precise manner in which his positronic brain was constructed, hence why Lore and Lal don't have an issue with contractions. Sort of like how different hard drives of the same make and model might still have different real storage capacities, or something.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I think it's just because his early characterization was basically "beep boop, I am the Pinocchio robot. I want to be human but cannot." Real people use contractions when they're speaking causally. Data is never casual, so he can't use contractions. As a character quirk it's fine, but they never should have called attention to it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This seems like the kind of show that will make or break on the first episode post-pilot after they've already used all the obvious Star Trek trope jokes and will either repeat them forever or actually write something.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bombs away

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The other issue is that Troi was the product of 80s pop-psychology.

Yeah, the part in All Good Things where Q gloriously demolishes her "psychobabble" felt like the writers venting years of frustration. I also really like that in the episode where she loses her empathic power, she has to come to terms with the fact that she's actually pretty poo poo at reading social cues and body language and doesn't know how to interact with people without mind scanning.

Turns out Troi was a goon all along.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cross-Section posted:

All these people talking about Bashir's dad and not even mentioning Kasidy flippin' Yates

Wait...are we sure this isn't just some Star Trek fan film that Seth MacFarlane made in his basement with a bunch of former ST actors and somehow it got picked up by a network? Because it has all the hallmarks of a fan film...

-Close, but not quite uniforms--CHECK
-Out of work former Trek bit players and guest stars--CHECK
-Decent sets--CHECK
-Better special effects than the tv shows at the time--CHECK

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Someone tell Seth it can only be 15 minutes long and he has to fire Cassidy and Papa Bashir.

Technically he couldn't even appear, since he had a cameo on Enterprise.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Troi is pretty much a top five pick for worst characters in anything of all time, but I'm glad Sirtis got seven seasons and four middling-to-bad movies out of it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dr. Crusher is just as bad as Troi.

In general TNG was fairly bad with characterization of its regular female figures -- at least when compared to DS9. Then again, the format of DS9 was inherently stronger for character development than TNG was.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yes, but you never questioned Crusher's competence at her job. Beverly is clearly an excellent doctor, they're all supposed to be the best of the best, it's the loving Enterprise, and yet you have a pathetic waste of a ship's counselor.

Troi really just got awful writing. "I sense they may be hiding something" is probably the most useless possible advice to give in a tense diplomatic situation. Yea, no poo poo they're hiding something.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Reading Michael Piller's unpublished manuscript about the making of Insurrection.

My god. So many bad ideas.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

WampaLord posted:

Yes, but you never questioned Crusher's competence at her job. Beverly is clearly an excellent doctor, they're all supposed to be the best of the best, it's the loving Enterprise, and yet you have a pathetic waste of a ship's counselor.

Troi really just got awful writing. "I sense they may be hiding something" is probably the most useless possible advice to give in a tense diplomatic situation. Yea, no poo poo they're hiding something.

"I sense hostility, captain."

I'll give you that Crusher has the advantage of at least being depicted as highly skilled in her field. She just always came across to me as the most bland and generic character on the show. Which is partially why I weirdly even preferred Pulaski to her -- sure, Pulaski might have been a racist McCoy knockoff, but at least that made her stand out a bit more.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Crusher never gets annnnnnnnything to do. At least they occasionally wrote stuff for Troi. It was often bad stuff, but it was something.

I'm trying to think of a Crusher plotline that didn't involve Wesley and not thinking of many. The one where she's trapped in a contracting universe and ... she teaches Data to tap dance?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The creation (and resolution of) the static warp bubble directly involved Wesley.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

The creation (and resolution of) the static warp bubble directly involved Wesley.

Oh yeah. I guess there's the one with the Trill, and she had a pretty big role in the one where they were in a time loop.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Crusher had the sex ghost. See thread title.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
And not just any sex ghost, either. A Scottish sex ghost.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Things I know about Dr. Crusher, the character, besides "she's a good doctor":

-She has a thing for Scottish dudes
-She does yoga I guess?
-Oh and she taught Data to tapdance that one time so hey, she has a hobby!
-Her husband died and her only son ran off with a pederast transdimensional being

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drone posted:

Things I know about Dr. Crusher, the character, besides "she's a good doctor":

-She does yoga I guess?
-Oh and she taught Data to tapdance that one time so hey, she has a hobby!
-Her husband died and her only son ran off with a pederast transdimensional being

She's a really good shot also

but yeah thats p. much her whole character

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone tell Seth it can only be 15 minutes long and he has to fire Cassidy and Papa Bashir.

Technically he couldn't even appear, since he had a cameo on Enterprise.

That may be how it got picked up by the network. Seth spent months making the show in his spare time in his garage, then found out about the fan film rules and how he couldn't even be in it, so he reskinned it and shopped it to the networks. :v:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Bev Crusher was always the one organizing poetry readings and theatre and musical exhibitions, so she's something of a patron of the arts.

She also kind of had a thing going on with Picard but not really and then the writers forgot about it, and her.

That's all I have.

Also, Re: Tullaberry Wine, because someone missed the joke earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqIJ3hgkIDY

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Crusher had at least that one episode with the Ferengi scientist and the metaphasic shield.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
After Riker, I would legitimately prefer Crusher in command over everyone else in the main cast. The one episode where she was in charge showed that she had her poo poo together.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PostNouveau posted:

Crusher never gets annnnnnnnything to do. At least they occasionally wrote stuff for Troi. It was often bad stuff, but it was something.

I'm trying to think of a Crusher plotline that didn't involve Wesley and not thinking of many. The one where she's trapped in a contracting universe and ... she teaches Data to tap dance?

I think Ethics counts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

piratepilates posted:

how come insurrection was the (second) most expensive tng movie? was it just cast rates driving the budget up? it doesn't look like they really splurged in the production values

Significant raises for Stewart and Spiner, extensive location shooting (they did build the entire Ba'ku village) and late reshoots which added about $8 million to the bill.

Edit: they also had issues with the effects vendor.

Timby fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 16, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

I think Ethics counts.

That's really more Worf's plotline, I'd argue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bohemian Nights posted:

"A 22 minute Recut of 'Star Trek-The Motion Picture' set to Daft Punk's modern original score for 'Tron: Legacy'."

https://vimeo.com/217336882

e:
risky share, as I hadn't actually watched it yet, but I just finished it and it's actually pretty dang good, some scenes more than others. Halfway between a bitesize version of the motion picture and an extended music video for Legacy

Man, the contrast and levels and matte-ing and all may be awful due to today's standards, but goddrat the modelwork in that film was amazing. That K'tinga shot at the start alone looks so much better than any other time we ever saw that ship.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Drone posted:

I wonder if the Universal Translator has settings so you can give certain species certain accents.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

I wonder if the Universal Translator has settings so you can give certain species certain accents.

Set your friend's UT to Klingon = Swedish Chef Accent as a prank!

When they snicker at the Klingons in Quarks, hilarity ensues

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

It actually looks pretty decent. What's depressing is it might wind up being better than Star Trek: Discovery, if that show ever actually even comes out.

The production values are surprisingly high and if it weren't for the fact that it's a goofy Seth McFarlane show, it actually looks like a real, official Star Trek series.

I also don't hate Seth McFarlane and enjoyed the first few seasons of Family Guy. There I said it. Saying you liked Family Guy on the Internet is almost like saying you were a child molester from the way people will look at you. I posted the video on facebook and immediately I had 3 people going "ewwww Jesus, it's Seth McFarlane."

Now granted, I'll give you that the show eventually went downhill and I haven't seen Ted or a Million Ways to Die in the West (which I heard was bad but the concept sounded good to me) so I'm not super familiar with his more recent work. I just think people like to hate Seth McFarlane because it's the "cool thing to do on the Internet".

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

PostNouveau posted:

She has sex with a ghost that had been seducing the women in her family for generations!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't think that's it, and I don't think liking the first couple seasons of family guy is a rare opinion. The problem is that Mcfarlane's various shows have gotten incredibly weak as the years go by, often relying on extended unfunny jokes that are padded to hell and back just so the episode hits that 19-21 minute mark. The only decent projects he's been involved with in the last 5 or so years are the Cosmos reboot and Ted 1. The former was fine, but oversimplistic at times, and the latter was a straightforward comedy with a few memorable jokes. Both are very different animals from a network sitcom.

A parody show like The Orville is going to rely heavily on Family Guy/American Dad style jokes and Mcfarlane historically can't keep those up for long without running out of steam and phoning it in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This is going to be an hour long show, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is more serious on occasion with comedy sides.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't think that's it, and I don't think liking the first couple seasons of family guy is a rare opinion. The problem is that Mcfarlane's various shows have gotten incredibly weak as the years go by, often relying on extended unfunny jokes that are padded to hell and back just so the episode hits that 19-21 minute mark. The only decent projects he's been involved with in the last 5 or so years are the Cosmos reboot and Ted 1. The former was fine, but oversimplistic at times, and the latter was a straightforward comedy with a few memorable jokes. Both are very different animals from a network sitcom.

A parody show like The Orville is going to rely heavily on Family Guy/American Dad style jokes and Mcfarlane historically can't keep those up for long without running out of steam and phoning it in.

Yeah. A lot of times Family Guy just does pop culture references and forgets to tell a joke with it. But at least it's not as bad as Robot Chicken. That show is like 90% "haha remember Thundercats?" and has like, maybe 3 funny skits. (Baby Terminator vs. Terminator Puppy is pretty funny.)

On one hand, with Star Trek, there is a LOT of material to make fun of. On the other hand, you will eventually run out. A lot of the dumb stuff in Star Trek is also obscure and most audiences won't get it. The average person doesn't remember Janeway and Tom Paris turning into salamanders and having little amphibian babies and that's probably a good thing.

Is Family Guy even still going? I know, it's a dumb question. The Simpsons and South Park are still going. Maybe comedy has a shelf life. That said, season 19 of South Park was actually pretty good, though, even though the show has been going on forever. It's Always Sunny has also being going for 12 years and that show is still funny as hell.

But yeah, they're going to have to stop the Orville after a season or two because there's only so much material to spoof.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Seth is definitely a really funny and talented guy* and he's the perfect person to run a show like this.

Starring in it, however, is a red flag, as others have pointed out. But it does have potential.

*He's also egotistical and/or money-hungry enough to see no problem with writing -- and playing multiple main characters on -- 3 concurrently running shows in the same exact genre, which understandably wears a bit thin.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They put Crusher in command for a day and she destroyed a Borg ship, that's better than most Starfleet officers will ever do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She also got herself stuck in a warp bubble so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I feel like Crusher's (and to a slightly lesser extent Troi's) biggest problem as a character is that her dialogue is mostly really mediocre. Almost every one (sorry Geordi) of the male members of the main cast in TNG has at least a couple of great lines I can recall verbatim. In TOS even the minor bridge crew like Uhura and Sulu get some absolutely classic deliveries ("sorry, neither!"). With Crusher what have you got? Besides the thread title of course.