Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Akiba's Trip on Vita is at least playable. Load times are long, draw distances short, but it doesn't dip to slideshow range frame rates.

All these cross platform Vita games that don't run like garbage paint a different story. I can't say what kind of resources the games are drawing but if a fast paced cross platform game like Malicious plays fine on Vita then I don't know why other companies can't optimize their games other than time and resources being a factor.

I still can't forgive Mana Khemia, I don't know how anyone saw that game and thought it was in a remotely playable state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

All I want is for nintendo and squeenix to kiss and make up and remake SuperMarioRPG: Land of the Seven Stars for 3DS :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No.44 posted:

All I want is for nintendo and squeenix to kiss and make up and remake SuperMarioRPG: Land of the Seven Stars for 3DS :(

Square and Nintendo get along great these days. It's just that Nintendo has their own non-Square brand of Mario RPGs these days.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

No.44 posted:

Mario RPG was one of my favorite rpgs, like, ever. It was actually really good and fun, and actually had an agreeable plot. Plus it was at the height of SNES rpg tech. I want another.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Like Square wouldn't farm out a remake/sequel to the universally beloved Matrix Software

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a jillion times, but is The Witcher worth playing at this point or should I just skip to 2?
I'm playing it for the first time right now and it's been a good time. I was planning to try it out for a little bit before I decided whether or not to skip on to Witcher 2 before 3 comes out, but in the end I was enjoying it enough that I stuck with it. There is a fair amount of running back and forth but a lot of it involves optional quests that you can skip if you're getting annoyed. You can also make the game significantly shorter if you avoid the optional quests.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just finished the first Suikoden on my Vita - the only people that I had to look up to get were Lester, Quincy (mainly cause I forgot that bridge even existed), and Crowley. I still remembered how to get Pesmerga and Leon after all these years. Now on to Suikoden 2, the best game of all time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
After multiple times of trying, I finally managed to play Chrono Trigger all the way through and beat it. Very enjoyable game that was crazy ahead of its time. The way it is paced, written, and designed really is that of a game made today. It's just insane to think that at the time of the game's release you had games with laughable translations and misspellings and crazy high encounter rates with a bunch of jank to boot, and here comes Chrono Trigger that has virtually none of that. I doubt that it will make my top 10 RPGs of all time, but I can see why it does in so many gamers eyes.

My only complaint with the end of the game was that You had like a stream of half a dozen boss battles. At least there was a break before the last two, but still.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

punk rebel ecks posted:

After multiple times of trying, I finally managed to play Chrono Trigger all the way through and beat it. Very enjoyable game that was crazy ahead of its time. The way it is paced, written, and designed really is that of a game made today. It's just insane to think that at the time of the game's release you had games with laughable translations and misspellings and crazy high encounter rates with a bunch of jank to boot, and here comes Chrono Trigger that has virtually none of that. I doubt that it will make my top 10 RPGs of all time, but I can see why it does in so many gamers eyes.

My only complaint with the end of the game was that You had like a stream of half a dozen boss battles. At least there was a break before the last two, but still.

Chrono Trigger was a nice game, but it had its flaws like every other RPG. For one, the battle system was pretty stale, and there wasn't much to do in terms of changing history (excluding the last 1/5 of the game, of course). Some of the characters were boring and stereotypical, and there wasn't much to do with them when it came to actual development. In addition to that, the plot was also very streamlined when you compare it to stuff like Radiant Historia.

But yeah, I'll agree with you that the game was fun. Much better than Radiant Historia's boring slog, anyways.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 25, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I also hated in the end that the Black Omen fight is referred to in the stuff you can do to change the future quests by the Time Elder. "Someone who is close to you is in need. Go help them...fast." I mean why include it with a line about side quests? I also hated how the menu was so cumbersome to work through during the ATB system fights. I understand the game is on the SNES, but holy poo poo I hate navigating through four items at once when time is of the essence.

I still really enjoyed the game, it MAY make my top 10 RPGs of all-time depending on how the taste it left in my mouth develops.

Also, I thought Radiant Historia was very good?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I also hated in the end that the Black Omen fight is referred to in the stuff you can do to change the future quests by the Time Elder. "Someone who is close to you is in need. Go help them...fast." I mean why include it with a line about side quests? I also hated how the menu was so cumbersome to work through during the ATB system fights. I understand the game is on the SNES, but holy poo poo I hate navigating through four items at once when time is of the essence.

The spoiler is a mistranslation. The line is supposed to be telling you to go talk to your party members to get leads on things to do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Chrono Trigger handles time travel better than FF13-2. For one thing, you actually get to change stuff and also it's a good game

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also, I thought Radiant Historia was very good?

Radiant Historia is fun at first, but it gets to the point where everything becomes insufferable and a boring slog.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Radiant Historia's Everything But The Battles = Great

Radiant Historia's Battles = holy god tedious

I beat the game, got the true ending and everything. But man, was I loving thankful for the the turn invisible at will ability.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Variant_Eris posted:

Chrono Trigger was a nice game, but it had its flaws like every other RPG. For one, the battle system was pretty stale, and there wasn't much to do in terms of changing history (excluding the last 1/5 of the game, of course). Some of the characters were boring and stereotypical, and there wasn't much to do with them when it came to actual development. In addition to that, the plot was also very streamlined when you compare it to stuff like Radiant Historia.

But yeah, I'll agree with you that the game was fun. Much better than Radiant Historia's boring slog, anyways.

I don't know if some of these are very fair, for when the game came out. The battle system was pretty advanced at the time, what with the combo attacks, and how placement of both you and the enemy was important for how different special attacks all had different areas of effect.

The characters had a lot of spunk and personality for 16-bit characters. A lot of characters from that era were really pretty bland once you got past their character design. They had to fit all the plot important information into a few small dialogue boxes, so there was very little room left for personality. CT had a really huge cart for the time, with like double the memory of most other RPGs.

Issues like "how much they should have changed time" are such a subjective storytelling thing that it's hard to fault the game too much. Honestly I'm glad the game didn't do too much time-fuckery; it managed to be a fun, simple time-travel game, that felt like it made total sense and was internally consistent. Do you know how amazing that is? Time travel stories are just bloated with paradoxes (ahem), plotholes, and poo poo that feels like it doesn't make sense to the audience, even if the story ignores it. Actually, I feel how "streamlined" the plot is is one of the game's biggest strengths. For how little customization the game had, it has a ton of replay value because it's just so short, charming, and fun, with almost no sloggy time-wasting aspects.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Again, for its time Chrono Trigger is second to none. I'm comparing to today's standards.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
How did Wasteland 2 turn out in the end? I backed it, but never really got around to playing it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I caved and finally put Front Mission 3 on my vita. I think I own it 3 times over at this point.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
All this talk of Chrono Trigger got me thinking about Chrono Cross. I briefly played it (probably about 10 years ago) around the same time that I was trying Vagrant Story, Legend of Dragoon, and Shining the Holy Ark. For a game that was only about five years old at that point I found it to be very dated, but I really did only play maybe the first two hours of it. I think my main problem is that I've never found a Square game that really caught me, something about the way they design them just always bugged me. I think it has a lot to do with the silent protagonist.

Anyways, just wanted some thoughts on the sequel to the game that everyone seems to love.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SpitztheGreat posted:

I think my main problem is that I've never found a Square game that really caught me, something about the way they design them just always bugged me. I think it has a lot to do with the silent protagonist.

Ehh, different strokes. As for Chrono Cross, it's in a class of its own, and not really in a good way. It has really memorable visuals and a lot of people like the soundtrack (I'm not really one of them, but I think it has a few nice songs), and the gameplay was interesting enough for its time. The story was a clusterfuck that barely makes sense, though, and in an attempt to force a connection to Chrono Trigger, it basically shits all over it. By extension, it wouldn't make any sense if you hadn't played CT. It also tried to tie into a text adventure game that was only ever released in Japan, which only made the :psyduck: worse.

It's a game that reached for the stars at the end of the PS1's life cycle, except it couldn't decide on which star to grab so it just kinda flails wildly and I guess that looks cool but doesn't really make any sense. It's telling when this

quote:

The "eggs" that we call planets... And the innumerable "spermatozoa" which gather around these that we call life-forms...
is the least-senseless line in the game, and that's just because it's a "gently caress the world" joke

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Heavy neutrino posted:

How did Wasteland 2 turn out in the end? I backed it, but never really got around to playing it.
Good setting, lots of flavor for the front half of the game, very mediocre gameplay. Back half of the game feels less polished than the front half.

Took A LOT of patches to fix all the bugs too but they eventually got most of them, so that was nice.

Really the biggest problem is that all the gameplay is rooted in character customization but once you start fighting, there's really not much to it. You fire your guns, you punch things, they fall over. It lacks the aiming system that Fallout had for example, and plays quite a bit slower than the Fallout games because there's simply more people to control. Gear is a lot less imaginative too. Oh yeah you will spend a lot of time just watching your dudes in skill animations to unlock doors/disarm traps/etc. I think there's a mod that fixes that though?

The other problem is that the game is compared constantly to Divinity: Original Sin which had a lot more fun gameplay because of the sheer amount of stuff, but less overall polish on its world/writing/setting/etc.

Both games are easy IMO.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SpitztheGreat posted:

I think my main problem is that I've never found a Square game that really caught me, something about the way they design them just always bugged me. I think it has a lot to do with the silent protagonist.

What square games are you playing, because ps1 and before era that had no-line protags was like a very small minority of their RPGs.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Rascyc posted:

Both games are easy IMO.

I must be dumb or something because I got smashed in the first segment of the game, roughly up to the first boss. Actually, I definitely am dumb because I played two Lone Wolf characters, having no idea at first what the perk actually did.

It does get pretty easy after that when your characters are diversified enough to handle anything, and the brilliant AI never stops blowing its cooldowns on summons.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Tae posted:

What square games are you playing, because ps1 and before era that had no-line protags was like a very small minority of their RPGs.

Only a few games and they were all PS1 era games. I haven't written Square off as much as the systems I've owned either weren't supported by Square and/or I stopped buying new games/new systems upon release. I may be the only person in existence who didn't find FFVII and VIII to be anything remarkable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

Only a few games and they were all PS1 era games. I haven't written Square off as much as the systems I've owned either weren't supported by Square and/or I stopped buying new games/new systems upon release. I may be the only person in existence who didn't find FFVII and VIII to be anything remarkable.

I can't think of any PS1-era Square RPGs with silent protagonists. I guess like Legend of Mana?

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I can't think of any PS1-era Square RPGs with silent protagonists. I guess like Legend of Mana?

I'm not saying that the silent protagonist was the only deal breaker, or that it's a deal breaker at all, it was just an example of a game element that I don't like. It doesn't matter if it's Square or any other developer, it just kinda drives me nuts.

I haven't played a game from Square in years, I'd be willing to try a newer one without question.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

I'm not saying that the silent protagonist was the only deal breaker, or that it's a deal breaker at all, it was just an example of a game element that I don't like. It doesn't matter if it's Square or any other developer, it just kinda drives me nuts.

I haven't played a game from Square in years, I'd be willing to try a newer one without question.

Well, it's more an odd choice of a game element to choose because Square in the PS1 era was actually defined by having a bunch of full-character protagonists instead of silent guys like in Suikoden or Breath of Fire or whatever. It's hard to recommend what you might or might not like in that case because it kind of can't be the thing that turned you off Square.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chrono Cross is cool actually.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe you're thinking of the dragon quest games which were Eidos before they merged?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Maybe you're thinking of the dragon quest games which were Eidos before they merged?

Enix, not Eidos.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

and how placement of both you and the enemy was important for how different special attacks all had different areas of effect.

I don't remember them being important. you had no control over placement of your own party members, or the enemy's position, so it was either you could hit 3 enemies or 2 of them, depending on luck. and eventually you hit a point where a lot of characters' strongest techs just hit everything on the screen, or do so much damage to one target that it's dumb to use anything else.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

I don't remember them being important. you had no control over placement of your own party members, or the enemy's position, so it was either you could hit 3 enemies or 2 of them, depending on luck. and eventually you hit a point where a lot of characters' strongest techs just hit everything on the screen, or do so much damage to one target that it's dumb to use anything else.

True, you couldn't control placement, but you could control which techs or combos you were going to use to most effectively hit the enemy party. The enemies moved around a bit, but not enough to gently caress with your plans. And yes, eventually your best techs were full-screen, but those were expensive and you couldn't use them a lot without the right accessories, so using other techs was often useful. Point was, a lot of your abilities remained useful for a long time because of different AoEs (I used Luca's Flame Toss, her first skill, through pretty much the entire game), as opposed to a lot of other games (especially at the time), where it just went Fire 1 -> Fire 2 -> Fire 3.

Also, I really liked Chrono Cross. For the vast majority of the plot you can follow along with what's happening just fine, and don't need to know anything about CT. Then in the last hour or two they drop some enormous plot dumps that are just :psyduck:. But people make it sound like the entire plot through the whole game is hosed, and it's not really. It's certainly not as polished as CT, but it had a lot of good stuff.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Heavy neutrino posted:

I must be dumb or something because I got smashed in the first segment of the game, roughly up to the first boss. Actually, I definitely am dumb because I played two Lone Wolf characters, having no idea at first what the perk actually did.

It does get pretty easy after that when your characters are diversified enough to handle anything, and the brilliant AI never stops blowing its cooldowns on summons.
Ya lone wolf trades harder early game for an even easier middle/late game. You got what you signed up for basically.

I mean even as a newbie the start of the game is a little tricky until you get your feet wet and walk in the right direction, but once you do the game is quickly manageable and downright easy. It's a blast though because at least you're doing a bunch of funny poo poo to wreck house.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

SpitztheGreat posted:

All this talk of Chrono Trigger got me thinking about Chrono Cross. I briefly played it (probably about 10 years ago) around the same time that I was trying Vagrant Story, Legend of Dragoon, and Shining the Holy Ark. For a game that was only about five years old at that point I found it to be very dated, but I really did only play maybe the first two hours of it. I think my main problem is that I've never found a Square game that really caught me, something about the way they design them just always bugged me. I think it has a lot to do with the silent protagonist.

Anyways, just wanted some thoughts on the sequel to the game that everyone seems to love.

It's great if you just turn your brain off for everything plot-related and avoid thinking about its weird ties to Chrono Trigger. Just enjoy the fairly cool element system and most importantly, the pretty colors and awesome music.

If they changed just a few names and plot elements to make it in its own universe it would have been received a million times better by people who were rightfully, if way overly, disappointed that it's not Chrono Trigger 2 at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

I think my main problem is that I've never found a Square game that really caught me, something about the way they design them just always bugged me. I think it has a lot to do with the silent protagonist
i can think of maybe four square RPGs with silent protags

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Endorph posted:

i can think of maybe four square RPGs with silent protags

Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG (does that one count?).

Edit: I guess Final Fantasy 1 would also count.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 26, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Punch Card posted:

It's great if you just turn your brain off for everything plot-related and avoid thinking about its weird ties to Chrono Trigger. Just enjoy the fairly cool element system and most importantly, the pretty colors and awesome music.

If they changed just a few names and plot elements to make it in its own universe it would have been received a million times better by people who were rightfully, if way overly, disappointed that it's not Chrono Trigger 2 at all.

The really weird thing about the writing is that it isn't a case where an originally unrelated game got shoehorned into be a sequel or anything, they clearly really really wanted Cross to be seen as a sequel to Trigger. (Didn't even an advertisement to the DS Trigger call it "the predecessor to Chrono Cross!")

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Schwartzcough posted:

Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG (does that one count?).

Edit: I guess Final Fantasy 1 would also count.
The key word was "PS1-era" when Square reshaped the genre with FF7

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Not even Secret of Mana, the main character has a couple (nondescript) lines where he voices his general opposition to things :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ive got a dreamcast now and am playing dragonriders of pern