Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

that's a different page than the main body of the press release linked above ok can we drop it

no admit you are stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pleasure kevin the industry analyst cant click links on a website

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol windows is going to be full of ads and cost 15 dollars a month isn't it

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it seems like they calculate things with either past USD value or current/future USD value depending on how it suits them

pram posted:

no admit you are stupid

ok

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thx

quote:

Windows OEM revenue decreased $698 million or 22%, due to declines of 19% in OEM Pro revenue and 26% in OEM non-Pro revenue

:coolspot::coolspot:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

btw if there was any doubt left, satya said "windows as a service" and "getting revenue from windows throughout it's lifecycle"

they've been offering software assurance for 9 years. nobody wants it

i'm sure consumers are going to champ at the bit to buy it after 9 years of commercial user disinterest

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol windows is going to be full of ads and cost 15 dollars a month isn't it
they're going to further grow xbox live usage by requiring xbox live gold to use all the features of windows

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

thread title:
Microsoft Talk Thread: Satya, Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

Windows OEM revenue decreased $698 million or 22%, due to declines of 19% in OEM Pro revenue and 26% in OEM non-Pro revenue

someone mentioned it on the call

answer: you gotta think about the lifetime cycle of the consumer basis, management security services and all that unique value for customers

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phoenixan posted:

they're going to further grow xbox live usage by requiring xbox live gold to use all the features of windows

I'm sorry you can't run win32 applications from the Start menu until you upgrade to GOLD

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

someone mentioned it on the call

answer: you gotta think about the lifetime cycle of the consumer basis, management security services and all that unique value for customers
i liked when he was reminded about his promises made a year ago about next-gen productivity software and asked where it was

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
how long till satya gives me an authentically digital experience for the low low price of $0.00 ? im ready

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they've been offering software assurance for 9 years. nobody wants it

i'm sure consumers are going to champ at the bit to buy it after 9 years of commercial user disinterest

tbf, this is mostly because the licensing terms are loving ridiculous and work put to 2x+ the cost per cal upfront plus yearly renewals

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nagato posted:

windows 10 news summary

- name is windows 10 or possibly windows x
- codename: "redstone"^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H... sorry, that's the next version
- half of QA team let go early on in development process
- all icons redrawn by someone who has never used a vector graphics editor before
- new search toolbar that returns arbitrary .exes pushed to their basically unmoderated app store
- called the "cortana bar"
- pop-ups give you achievements for using the os
- solitaire now adware with in-game purchases
- calculator is now full-screen only application
- officially announced launch date is summer despite the fact that its clearly unfinished

this is a couple pages old, but gently caress it

they replaced the lovely icons with slightly less lovely icons;
their app store is sandboxed so it isn't a malware distribution platform, just really terrible search results;
I don't think they've actually named the search box anything at all;
solitaire and minesweeper have been IAP adware since windows 8;
all Metro Modern Immersive Windows apps can now run in somewhat resizable windows (such innovation!)

edit: oh, and every iOS app also has a splash screen, its just iOS wasn't designed by idiots and the splash screen is a static screenshot from the last time the app was suspended (and if that doesn't exist, an actual splash screen)

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 24, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

their app store is sandboxed so it isn't a malware distribution platform
uh huh

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

well, they're not malware in the sense that arbitrary .exes can elevate to Admin using the crippled UAC and install a rootkit

and they're not malware in the Android "give us access to every aspect of your phone" permission model

but they can do the standard ask for access to your contacts and sell your social graph to advertisers thing that's accepted as non-malware these days

the infuriating thing is that Windows genuinely desperately needs application sandboxing, except they tied it to their tablet app garbage that nobody wants

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Clicked on the weather "app" from the start menu to get a better look at the weekend breakdown.

penguinwarfare
Dec 19, 2005
Sir Lord Master In Command
looks like a clear sunny day

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

the splash screens are there to generate complains so they can switch in AdScreens™ by the june build

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

penguinwarfare posted:

looks like a clear sunny day

theres a chance of 5 hails

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
with a chance of white dots and linux-lookin menu bars

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

theres a chance of 5 hails

so close, that's the ring from halo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

industry analyst cant click links on a website

isn't that normal for industry analysts?

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

pseudorandom name posted:

I don't think they've actually named the search box anything at all

no it really is called cortana http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-cortana

i saw the icons were redrawn but i'm surprised you think they're a real improvement. the perspective looks so ugly to me that I have to assume that whoever drew them doesn't really know how to draw using a computer and just stuck random lines together and used a fill tool. if this is what gets rolled out to end users, we really must be on the road to minecraft OS

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
at least when they change all the icons to be minecraft blocks they won't be able to gently caress up the perspective

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
calling it here: someone at ms is implementing a minecraft-based windows explorer where your fs is presented in 3d and you can walk around and your files are all represented as blocks

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

uncurable mlady posted:

calling it here: someone at ms is implementing a minecraft-based windows explorer where your fs is presented in 3d and you can walk around and your files are all represented as blocks

it's a minecraft system, I know this

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

uncurable mlady posted:

i would dig deep until I reached the kernel and attack it with a hatchet until it gives way

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Deacon of Delicious posted:

it's a minecraft system, I know this

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Maximum Leader posted:

i would dig deep until I reached the kernel and attack it with a hatchet until it gives way
you'd dig down only to find that everything is sitting on top of sand and gravel

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows is a piece of poo poo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

not MY os!!!

*drives off in giant diesel truck with stacks blowing black smoke everywhere*

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

does the hamburger menu pop out to be one pixel above and one pixel to the left of the menu it's popping over?

why

pram
Jun 10, 2001
satya release the hamburger ribbon

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

does the hamburger menu pop out to be one pixel above and one pixel to the left of the menu it's popping over?

why

oh god now I see it's like that everywhere

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
why are there hamburger menus inside regular menus

could it have to do with firing half the QA team

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nagato posted:

no it really is called cortana http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-cortana

i saw the icons were redrawn but i'm surprised you think they're a real improvement. the perspective looks so ugly to me that I have to assume that whoever drew them doesn't really know how to draw using a computer and just stuck random lines together and used a fill tool. if this is what gets rolled out to end users, we really must be on the road to minecraft OS

oh, I've never enabled cortana, I didn't realize the interface changed so much

I figured it was like the difference between Spotlight and Siri

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
why is there a menu at all in an ephemeral text completion box? its like putting one in google auto complete or spotlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh good, onedrive just 86'd all the files i had in it, good thing they keep version history so i can go and restore each one one by one

and then move every file out of it because it isn't trustworthy any more

gently caress microsoft

• Locked thread