Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

yeah carl definitely has a bias but he still knows more about china than 95% of “china watchers”

also, nothing worse than meeting a china watcher irl. I had the displeasure of that recently, dude was racist af and didn’t know poo poo despite living in china

after that I started to get why people go tankie, pretty much the only militant anti CCP people I’ve met who aren’t huge racists or wacko religious types are the ones with personal connections to HK or Taiwan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

finally got some loot together so i'm paid up and ready to dig some war dirt

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

China Watchers in the CCP thread keep claiming Carl doesn't know what he's talking about while what they're actually posting only proves his points.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Carl definitely is biased and I disagree with him re: destruction of property and other HK protest stuff but if anything he says what he says because of his sincere personal opinion and nationalism rather than being a paid CCP shill like his haters try to claim he is. Also he proposed to fight Ian Cheong hand to hand which is good.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Posting his dancing videos and surfing pictures whenever the China watchers started getting mad at him is such a power move he will always have my respect.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

gh0stpinballa posted:

there are also like 50 chapo splinter subs now which is hilarious

the complete contempt in which the reddits are held by the hosts is pretty funny

Never apologize and never read your reddit are the first two commandments of having any kind of media presence.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
On the latest Chapo they interview Admiral Joe Sestak and he basically confirms everything John has said about a naval war with Iran.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

On the latest Chapo they interview Admiral Joe Sestak and he basically confirms everything John has said about a naval war with Iran.

That it would be a super terrible idea, or that we're absolutely stupid enough to do it anyway?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shakenbaker posted:

That it would be a super terrible idea, or that we're absolutely stupid enough to do it anyway?

That it would be a super terrible idea and cited the stuff about the mines and patrol boats.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There was an article posted not too long ago in I think the Middle East thread, and the conclusion was that because we've soured relations with Turkey, the Iraqi government, and invading through Afghanistan isn't possible with an active insurgency - the only place left to invade Iran through is the Persian Gulf. Which as we've established, is the absolute worst way to invade.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

animist posted:

there's been a tankie takeover recently, now theyre slobbering all over China's dick

i swear those fuckers eventually worm their way into admin positions for every leftist forum on the internet

:hmmyes:

good.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

super excited to see 33 new posts about maiduguri itt but alas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There was an article posted not too long ago in I think the Middle East thread, and the conclusion was that because we've soured relations with Turkey, the Iraqi government, and invading through Afghanistan isn't possible with an active insurgency - the only place left to invade Iran through is the Persian Gulf. Which as we've established, is the absolute worst way to invade.

the nagorno-karabakh gambit

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Apparently one of the provisos for the Taliban truce that they are negotiating is not to come to Iran's help if poo poo goes down but lmao at thinking that's enforceable in any way.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

Apparently one of the provisos for the Taliban truce that they are negotiating is not to come to Iran's help if poo poo goes down but lmao at thinking that's enforceable in any way.

Even if you can get the Taliban to make good on the promise not to attack your supply lines, the Iranian side of the border is all hills and mountains.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

super excited to see 33 new posts about maiduguri itt but alas

I only managed to get through about half of the interview yesterday before work got too stupid for me to pay attention but what I did hear was interesting. I really didn't know much of anything about Boko Haram beyond the standard western media "these are some more of those bad Muslims, you know the sort" so it caught me off guard when she was talking about the occult aspects. I don't know much about Nigeria either so finding out that there's a few hundred ethnicities there threw me for a loop. And the Brits are involved because of course they are.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Disappointed that the guest grew up in America so she didn’t have an accent but luckily there was a torrential rain to make the audio interesting.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Made it through the new episode today and Dolan perking up immediately when it turns out their guest is also doing research on the Nigerian civil war is just endearing. Dude sounded like a kid in a candy store.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

they’ve been trying to get a good guest on nigeria for awhile now, it was a very informative interview

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shakenbaker posted:

I only managed to get through about half of the interview yesterday before work got too stupid for me to pay attention but what I did hear was interesting. I really didn't know much of anything about Boko Haram beyond the standard western media "these are some more of those bad Muslims, you know the sort" so it caught me off guard when she was talking about the occult aspects. I don't know much about Nigeria either so finding out that there's a few hundred ethnicities there threw me for a loop. And the Brits are involved because of course they are.

I lived in what's called the Middle Belt, where none of the three major ethnic groups has a majority presence. It was insane how many languages I could hear spoken, and a reason why pigin is so popular.

coathat posted:

Disappointed that the guest grew up in America so she didn’t have an accent but luckily there was a torrential rain to make the audio interesting.
I was interested in listening with a critical ear. It seems that she was aware of but still bought into the different stereotypes between hausa and igbo. She said she understood that the igbo were the first and most enthusiastic participants in british colonialism. There are very legitimate grievances in the north that igboland has the best schools, most productive land, all the oil and the most impressive diaspora.

She never mentioned that of the two main parties, goodluck Jonathan's has a power base in igboland, is economically liberal and socially conservative. Buhari's party of the north and west represent the poorest citizens, is somewhat leftist/anticolonial in economic policy and is ambivalent socially

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I'd never heard of Matt Farwell before listening to the new episode and my mental image of "college drop-out who joins the mobile infantry" was way off.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hedenius posted:

I'd never heard of Matt Farwell before listening to the new episode and my mental image of "college drop-out who joins the mobile infantry" was way off.

I posted a while back about an interview on sofrep radio about that book, and thought the author seemed very different in this interview. Turns out there's two authors and oddly sofrep talked to the journalist and war nerd talked to the soldier.

https://sofrepradio.com/episode-452-author-michael-ames-gets-into-the-real-story-behind-bowe-bergdahl/

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

echomadman posted:

I posted a while back about an interview on sofrep radio about that book, and thought the author seemed very different in this interview. Turns out there's two authors and oddly sofrep talked to the journalist and war nerd talked to the soldier.

https://sofrepradio.com/episode-452-author-michael-ames-gets-into-the-real-story-behind-bowe-bergdahl/

maybe its because I heard the sofrep one first, when it came out a few months ago, but I thought it was slightly more informative than this recent RWN. However, Matt Farwell's pretty drat funny and an entertaining dude I'd wanna hang out with. so hopefully he's got some more tricks up his sleeve and they can bring him on again in the future

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bastaman Vibration posted:

maybe its because I heard the sofrep one first, when it came out a few months ago, but I thought it was slightly more informative than this recent RWN. However, Matt Farwell's pretty drat funny and an entertaining dude I'd wanna hang out with. so hopefully he's got some more tricks up his sleeve and they can bring him on again in the future

Yeah Ames (the other one) went into a lot more detail on Bergdahl's life and stayed pretty much on topic in the Sofrep interview. Farwell kept getting sidetracked with random anecdotes and answering Marks questions, which was entertaining. He seems to be a war nerd fanboy. It'd be good to have him back if they do more stuff on Afghanistan, he seems to have a good insight into the political shenanigans going on around it.

Sofrep had some rebuttals\responses to the book\interview from other vets on a later episode but they seemed to be from the perspective of guys who were on the ground and not really aware of the brass's machinations to run as many missions as possible off the back of Bergdahl's disappearance even if there was no likelihood of finding him. They were pretty much 'gently caress bergdahl, my buddy got killed while we were out looking for his stupid rear end' which is also a fair point given that if he hadn't done it then those guys wouldn't have had any excuse to get their men KIA'd.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

:wrong:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gerry Markovich Ames

lmao hell yes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Markovich Markovich, Markovich? Markovich Markovich.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1168123105136578561

Tiocfaidh ár lá

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Have they done an episode on the Spanish Civil War? I'm sorry to keep coming in here and asking these questions, but Patreon's sorting and tagging functionality is quite lovely.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrPop posted:

Have they done an episode on the Spanish Civil War? I'm sorry to keep coming in here and asking these questions, but Patreon's sorting and tagging functionality is quite lovely.

I don't think so, but they probably should. It's hard to talk about the Spanish-American War without also talking about the US-Phillippines war.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1172800738684047360?s=20

THS
Sep 15, 2017

uh oh

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DrPop posted:

Funny you should ask, I was listening to the one they made just today. They also referenced the Philippines. I don’t know how much depth hey went into but I only listened to a little bit

it’s episode 148

edit: I didn’t read and jumped the gun

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Sep 15, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

He said Spanish civil war not Spanish American war?

coathat
May 21, 2007

DrPop posted:

Too mainstream

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

StashAugustine posted:

He said Spanish civil war not Spanish American war?

My bad, I misread.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

coathat posted:

Too mainstream

lol

thanks everyone. i hope they end up doing one soon

the most recent ep (the Puerto Rico one) is the first one I've stopped listening to because the audio was so lovely for the guest. I made it about 50 minutes in but it was just completely incomprehensible at points

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my brain just assumed that was Spanish-American War because I thought it was in context with the Puerto Rico episode.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Spanish Civil War comes up in their books about war episode, but they both seem to have a low opinion about Orwell, mostly Mark being unable to get past him naming names, so the discussion doesn't really go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dolan wrote a really great article on exiled a long time ago about how Orwell was a colonialist pig, and his relation to Christopher Hitchens.

http://exiledonline.com/big-brothers-george-orwell-and-christopher-hitchens-exposed/