Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

freebooter posted:

Feeling depressed about the IPCC report so I finally got around to changing my super from Rest (which actively invests in coal companies) to Australian Ethical. It takes all of ten minutes to sign up, if anybody else is still using the same super fund from their first hospo or retail job:

https://www.australianethical.com.au/

Yeah I've been with them for years now. Seem pretty good. Retail fund not industry so I'm not really sure how much is greenwashing and how much is genuine but may as well try hey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

lol

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I did a bit of research and they seem about as transparent and on the level as you're gonna get, plus they genuinely have good returns (I've had shares in their index fund for years and it's easily my best performing stock).

But they way I figure it is, any fund whatsoever which styles itself "ethical" is probably going to be more ethical than your run of the mill fund.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
This is by an anonymous doctor, it's a pretty good article about the western sydney situation, it mostly hits the points everyone has been saying for a month that financial assistance is needed and better multicultural communication.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw-is-almost-certainly-on-the-precipice-of-a-massive-deterioration-20210809-p58h9w.html

quote:

As an experienced respiratory physician at a major western Sydney hospital, I am gravely concerned about the NSW government’s ineffective response to the Delta outbreak. As it has overseas, the pandemic is disproportionately affecting low-income migrant populations with insecure jobs.

NSW is almost certainly on the precipice of a massive deterioration. Contact tracers are overwhelmed, with reporting of infection hot spots lagging by days. The whole strategy of relying on contact tracing for infection control is failing, or indeed has failed.

Australia’s Chief Medical Officer, Professor Paul Kelly, emphasises the federal government’s overall aim is to eliminate the virus until adequate vaccination rates are achieved. However, the NSW government appears to have abandoned the first part of this strategy. Worryingly, it is now relying on achieving sufficient vaccination rates to allow society to progressively reopen.

This will take time. As a result, overseas evidence strongly indicates the Delta variant will continue to wreak havoc with untold numbers of infections, hospitalisations, ICU admissions and death. This is already happening now. No responsible individual has ever advocated for COVID elimination to be pursued indefinitely. However, it is critical until herd immunity is achieved.

NSW is suffering from a conspicuous failure of leadership. Are we trying to lock down to eliminate COVID, or are we attempting to vaccinate our way out of this pandemic? People are no longer clear what our COVID strategy is. People are losing faith in the lockdown. There is increasing resentment – going both ways – between south-western Sydney and the rest of the city. Of most concern is the loss of a sense “we are all in this together”. A lockdown that people understand and are motivated to comply with in western and south-western Sydney is essential.

So why is the lockdown of western and south-western Sydney failing?

The reasons are complex, but in my experience, some are evident on a daily basis at any outpatient clinic in our region. Between one-third and half of consultations have to be conducted with an interpreter. This could be in-person, over the telephone, or using a family member. Sometimes, doctors must use a common language such as Arabic, even though the patient may be Assyrian. Other patients, often refugees, are not literate in their first language. Federal and state government public health advertising has arguably not even been communicated well in English. To expect multicultural communities to quickly comprehend ever-changing public health directives is almost impossible.

Second, home isolation in south-western Sydney is particularly challenging in smaller homes with multiple family members living under the one roof. The option for hotel quarantining is restricted by the limited local availability.

Furthermore, some patients attending emergency departments are staunchly refusing to get tested because of the implications for their family. The necessity to quarantine close contacts would prevent hard-up family members from working. Some households are very sick, but their members do not seek help as they are trying to avoid restrictions.

Tragically, in certain western and south-western Sydney hospitals, COVID-infected patients are presenting so late in the course of their infection that it is necessary that emergency teams intubate them immediately upon their arrival. Such late presentations are not being seen at hospitals from the north, centre and east of Sydney.

With no economic safety net, no ability to work from home and distrust of governments, some residents fear the public health interventions being delivered. Many have been traumatised in their native countries, so seeing police on horses and troops patrolling neighbourhoods, may not result in the desired outcomes. This is not to say law enforcement should be abandoned, just that sensitivity is required.

If a greater level of COVID elimination is to be achieved, the failures of the current lockdown must be overcome. The NSW government must urgently re-establish trust through targeted advertising in multiple languages. Use local leaders in the community, social media influencers via residents’ children and grandchildren, and even beloved local sporting personalities.

Above all, affected communities must be supported. A large part of the solution to breaking this cycle is financial. A decent level of financial assistance must be offered in conjunction with a lockdown to allay people’s fears of economic loss from disclosing their infection.

NSW urgently needs strong leadership with clearly stated goals in place of the current void and mixed messaging. A vaccination strategy by itself will not work for months. Case numbers in western and south-western Sydney must be dramatically brought down for it to bear fruit.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

freebooter posted:

I did a bit of research and they seem about as transparent and on the level as you're gonna get, plus they genuinely have good returns (I've had shares in their index fund for years and it's easily my best performing stock).

But they way I figure it is, any fund whatsoever which styles itself "ethical" is probably going to be more ethical than your run of the mill fund.

I can recommend Active Super (formerly Local Government Super) - they seem pretty ethical as well as being a industry fund. + really good levels of returns over the last 5 - 10 years.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
"But, but DELTA is different and we can't possibly defeat it with lockdowns and more social support! There's also no other examples that we could utilise to guide our response." - Gladys "Bringer of Plagues" Berejiklian

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Good piece otherwise but:

quote:

No responsible individual has ever advocated for COVID elimination to be pursued indefinitely. However, it is critical until herd immunity is achieved.

First is a matter of opinion, second isn't going to happen with the current vaccines no matter how many people we jab, because they don't confer sterilising immunity.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Centusin posted:

This is by an anonymous doctor, it's a pretty good article about the western sydney situation, it mostly hits the points everyone has been saying for a month that financial assistance is needed and better multicultural communication.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw-is-almost-certainly-on-the-precipice-of-a-massive-deterioration-20210809-p58h9w.html

multiculturalism as practiced by the federal gov* was a mistake

*pump the economy via immigration and dont do a single loving thing to support their integration into society whether it be educational or financial or housing support

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Centusin posted:

Interesting summary, reminds me of the language challenges that Melbourne had in a few communities.

1. Impose strict measures that are simple to follow so there's no wiggle room for noncompliance. At the point that Sydney is in, messaging should be about the only things you CAN do, as opposed to the things you can't (which as humans we're worse at making sense of)
2. Reach out to your community leaders and get that poo poo translated so people hear the message correctly from people they trust
3. Quit victim blaming in your daily press conferences - I wonder why people are presenting late in their infection cycle when they're being shamed on a daily basis for doing the wrong thing
4. Throw money at the problem to ensure lockdowns are adhered to - individuals need to know that the incentive to stay home is more powerful than heading out to earn money

This is a daily exercise in simultaneously sticking your head in the sand and throwing your hands up in the air and so frustrating to watch.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Given how Gladys has a huge target painted on her back, and is seen as the reason behind NSW's many gently caress ups wrt lockdowns.

Is there anyone in the state Liberal party willing to take advantage of her poor popularity, and worse performance to cause a spill?

I mean it would be a bit of a poison chalise right now, but seeing how badly she has performed, and I would imagine how far her popularity has sunk, maybe she gets spilled by the next election?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/AmyRemeikis/status/1424968957333630981

It's not a race except when it is

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
"It doesn't matter how you start the race, it is how you finish the race. It is how you finish the race. We are going to finish this race and we are going to race all the way to the finish line but we are going to do it as Team Australia"

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
lmao

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

We started this race multicultural and by the end we'll be white.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

perepelki posted:

"It doesn't matter how you start the race, it is how you finish the race. It is how you finish the race. We are going to finish this race and we are going to race all the way to the finish line but we are going to do it as Team Australia"

How does one man manage to use so many words and say absolutely nothing.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Laserface posted:

How does one man manage to use so many words and say absolutely nothing.

It is amazing how inept at marketing he is despite his previous work experience.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

It is amazing how inept at marketing he is despite his previous work experience.

Remember he (probably) got fired from that job.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the race to get his good mate off charges for protecting his rapist dad lmao

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

the race to get his good mate off charges for protecting his rapist dad lmao

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
“It’s like poetry, it rhymes”

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It's been a while since I've heard a good Team Australia and I can't remember the previous contexts.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

It's been a while since I've heard a good Team Australia and I can't remember the previous contexts.

"team Australia" always puts this image in my head

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

what matters is how you finish the race *goes on to not explain how you'll finish the race*

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

freebooter posted:

Feeling depressed about the IPCC report so I finally got around to changing my super from Rest (which actively invests in coal companies) to Australian Ethical. It takes all of ten minutes to sign up, if anybody else is still using the same super fund from their first hospo or retail job:

https://www.australianethical.com.au/
yay

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

AFR: Frydenberg fires Jobkeeper missile at himself posted:

Like the kind of buffoon once played by Leslie Neilsen, Josh Frydenberg has fired a heat-seeking missile at himself.

The Australian indulged a bizarre and lame outburst by the Treasurer on Tuesday, in which he revealed the entirely unremarkable information that Australian trade unions received a total of $22 million in JobKeeper.

Frydenberg claimed that “Labor’s hypocrisy knows no bounds” because the opposition has been calling for the repayment of JobKeeper by certain companies and religious groups but not to “unions who have made donations to the [ALP]”.

This is an utterly false equivalence.

Labor has never called for all companies or churches to pay back JobKeeper. Nobody has. Labor frontbencher Andrew Leigh and others (including this column) have identified organisations that profiteered off JobKeeper and called for them to repay it.

Public companies that qualified for JobKeeper by projecting revenue declines but then increased profits, dividends and executive bonuses (Frydenberg is now easing the crushing burden of their disclosure obligations). Tax-free firms like Hillsong, which banked at least $5 million in JobKeeper, but whose revenue never fell by the forecast 15 per cent. The trade union for professional board members, the Australian Institute of Company Directors, which gobbled $5.2 million of JobKeeper and achieved only a 15 per cent revenue decline by voluntarily deferring the due date of its membership fees. Then they hosted the Australian Governance Summit!

This is the timbre of the $25 billion of our money that Josh Frydenberg categorically wasted.

So what if labour unions received JobKeeper? Only them and 850,000 others! The Treasurer has completely missed the point, as he so often does.

The issue is not JobKeeper’s receipt, but its misapplication. And Frydenberg has not shown us a single union that used the wage subsidy to pay a seven-figure cash bonus to the general secretary. Let alone a catalogue of them.

If he could name a trade union that received JobKeeper, increased its revenue and then increased its annual donation to the Australian Labor Party, then absolutely, the Treasurer would have scored a political hit. On himself, by highlighting the unforgivably poor design of his own scheme.

Frydenberg was damned either way but couldn’t even see it. Because he is lighter than helium.

Who, in his position, would be out there drawing more attention to the fact he has misspent more public money than any elected official in the history of the Commonwealth?

The Liberal Dries have been absolutely nowhere on this, presumably bored by budget emergencies and expenditure restraint, only the very point of their existence. Victorian senator James Paterson is barely recognisable from the young purist manufactured by the Institute of Public Affairs. “I’m someone who very much cherishes taxpayer dollars and doesn’t want them spent anywhere that they’re not necessary,” he said, before defending a program that paid $25 billion to firms that never experienced the revenue declines they forecast in order to receive it. “What else could anyone have done in that period of uncertainty that we were in?” Paterson wondered, gormlessly.

Geez, James, how about some rudimentary mechanisms of quality control? A real-time public register, perhaps, or the retesting of recipients’ revenue four or six weeks into the scheme? When you’re turning on a massive fiscal hose and nobody’s watching, senator, when you’re inviting every business in the land into a game show booth of free money, how about just something more than nothing?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Thank gently caress

That’s not how you format a loss edit.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

That Morrison quote made more sense when I realised he said it during Question Time, so basically just waffling while he thinks about something else

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I know it was on 7:30 last night, but I'm really surprised we're not seeing more about the Brian Houston BFF with Scomo story. I know Covid is top of mind, but it seems like a much bigger deal than it's getting credit for in the media.

Also, it makes me detest Scomo that little bit more, which I honestly thought wasn't possible.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NXnxTNIWkc

just constantly mentally screaming
i'd rather be the humble opossom
who scream at he own rear end
but at least he scream at something worthwhile

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

PotatoManJack posted:

I know it was on 7:30 last night, but I'm really surprised we're not seeing more about the Brian Houston BFF with Scomo story. I know Covid is top of mind, but it seems like a much bigger deal than it's getting credit for in the media.

Also, it makes me detest Scomo that little bit more, which I honestly thought wasn't possible.

the motherfucker skipping town for Mexico combined with pandemic has really hushed the whole thing up

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

229 unknown cases today when nsw gets to 300 they go up a tier to

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

needs to be in some kind of poo font.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Animal Friend posted:

"team Australia" always puts this image in my head

This picture doesn't do justice to just how shiningly white his runners were, how obviously that "Australia" tracksuit had never been worn for any sort of activity, and how artificially posed and awkward they were watching a TV with photographers in the room

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

John wore them on his power walks yeah?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Free lambda strain with every 500 cases.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Eediot Jedi posted:

John wore them on his power walks yeah?

Free lambda strain with every 500 cases.

ligma strain

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
BOFA-CoV-69

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Yeah Howard power walking in the green and gold is as iconic to the Howard years as the Iraq war

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/Harley_Possum/status/1154455724543471616

check that date lol