Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The F1 was and shall forever be my impossible dream. No turbos, no million horsepower unicorn-tear-fuelled engine, no fancy AWD or active aero. Just a perfectly engineered masterpiece that shocked the world. I will love the F1 forever.

The F1 did use fans to assist in generating downforce. Murray did also design the Brabham fan car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

More F1 action:

The lady behind the camera is a little tough, but I had no idea about the luggage that makes an appearance at 4:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5wMu41t2Ok

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Thread is now F1 chat.

I've never found the F1 to be a looker, but this right here has sold me. Goodness.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Jalopnik link, I know, but click for more.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Possibly the only car in history to brag about aerospace technology and actually have aerospace technology
But but.. Saab? :smith:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Collateral Damage posted:

But but.. Saab? :smith:

Mitsubishi makes cars, that doesn't mean there's Zero parts in your Lancer.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I saw the Sky F1 show with Gordon Murray and he said his proudest racing achievement was winning Le Mans with the F1. His only regret was that they didn't drive the car back to England after the race.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Human Grand Prix posted:

The F1 did use fans to assist in generating downforce. Murray did also design the Brabham fan car.

Didn't know it had fans. Also, I believe the LM had some active aero with the rear wing, so that's a bit of a caveat as well I suppose.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I remember reading somewhere that the F1's shape was so slippery that it would match the veyron's top speed with a mere 800-odd horsepower; a figure easily attained by sticking a couple of turbos on the existing engine.

Murray declined because that isn't the point of the car.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

EB110.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Teach posted:

TinEye didn't like it - what is it? A McLaren, yes? Why the NART vents all over its bum?

NACA ducts? NART was a racing team.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Local art museum finally got some good sculpture:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I'm getting better at IDing Ferraris. My first guess was 250 GT Lusso :getin:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

A helicopter, an RX-7(?) mid-drift, and slow motion. It's a big gif, so click the link to see.
http://i.imgur.com/rIVSDEW.gifv

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Man, I wish my car handled uneven surfaces that gracefully. Then again I suspect 3 feet of travel helps :v:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Saw this the other night, owned by a local shop. ZO6 with light motor work, most intensive thing being valve guides. 345 rear tires, extra widebody kit, wide sideskirts, no sideviews... 3100 pounds and 600 to the wheels.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like an un-textured 3d model.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Or, you know, the motherfucking Batman's daily.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Tinted head and tail lights? :barf:

Everything else about it is cool, I guess

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Saw this today.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

Saw this today.
Porsche 904?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Porsche 904?

Yup. not sure if its original or a clone though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Yup. not sure if its original or a clone though.

There's an easy way to tell.

If it's being driven around, it's a replica.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

:catstare:

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

I've never seen one of these on the street before, but I have seen some rare ones driving around. Probably the rarest:

XK220 just tooling around on Sunrise Rd in Tucson.

Shelby Series I. One of the guys in my karting league owns one. He's pretty fast, too.

And yeah, an F1. A German dude brought one to a trackday in Phoenix a few years ago. It still had some kind of plastic covers on the seats. It sounded like a chorus of metallic angels.

Finally, saw one of these the other day driving around in phoenix with a "MYC7Z06" plate. loving staggering how much better they look in the flesh:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Stardotstar posted:

I've never seen one of these on the street before, but I have seen some rare ones driving around. Probably the rarest:

XK220 just tooling around on Sunrise Rd in Tucson.

The ever-elusive beachfront property in Arizona, found at last!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

GramCracker posted:

Post more F1 poo poo! :allears:

I saw one on the road once, as a young man. It must have been sometime about '93. I was walking home, about 10pm, in my home town in the Midlands of the UK, and it was fuelling up at the BP station. It was K8MCL, which I think was one that McLaren used as a press car, or something. The driver came out of the garage, popped the door, spent a minute getting straight, then drove off down the long straight A-road out of town. I just stopped walking for a minute, and stood under a streetlight, listening as he went up through the rev range a couple of times. Lovely.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Stardotstar posted:

Finally, saw one of these the other day driving around in phoenix with a "MYC7Z06" plate. loving staggering how much better they look in the flesh:

Honestly I didn't like it in person. The clear tails look weird and the hard angles don't work nor the stuck-on look of the aero bits. It's better in white but not by much.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Das Volk posted:

Honestly I didn't like it in person. The clear tails look weird and the hard angles don't work nor the stuck-on look of the aero bits. It's better in white but not by much.

The busy mess of stuck on looking poo poo has been creeping onto American cars for a while now. It's like the glue on AutoZone fender vents PT cruiser crowd has had some subtle influence on the big three.

My main beef about the design is that the four in a row french horn looking exhausts just look silly given the rest of the styling. I mean I get it, it looks like a skull face, but c'mon a car with futuristic hard lines like that doesn't need a set of chrome horns out the rear. It needs a big rectangular heat vent that maybe starts to glow red and shoot flames on hard acceleration.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Stardotstar posted:

Saw one of these yesterday, in red. Easy to tell apart because that spoiler looks humongous, I saw it from the other side of a divided highway.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Saw one in orange just before winter hit. You can see a vague hint of C6 that doesn't show through in pictures, but I couldn't make any sort of meaningful conclusion on it because I was with my stepmom and all she could talk about is how it doesn't look like a C3 and that was the last Corvette that looked any good so I had to sit there and defend the thing with the ol' 'form as a result of function' argument.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
McLaren P1 having fun at Circuit of the Americas. Kills it on the straights. As captured by a Corvette Z06.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy6rRgMCD0w&t=167s

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

holocaust bloopers posted:

McLaren P1 having fun at Circuit of the Americas. Kills it on the straights. As captured by a Corvette Z06.

I had to keep reminding myself that the camera car is not slow by any stretch of the imagination :staredog:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Tommychu posted:

Saw one in orange just before winter hit. You can see a vague hint of C6 that doesn't show through in pictures, but I couldn't make any sort of meaningful conclusion on it because I was with my stepmom and all she could talk about is how it doesn't look like a C3 and that was the last Corvette that looked any good so I had to sit there and defend the thing with the ol' 'form as a result of function' argument.

The problem with the C7 is it looks exactly like a car that would be in GTAV.

I'd still roll one though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

revmoo posted:

The problem with the C7 is it looks exactly like a car that would be in GTAV.

I'd still roll one though.

"Would be"?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Probably should ask this really stupid question in the racing thread but just curious how much does it cost to have a crash during a track day at a track like that? By crash I mean if just you go off the track and smash your car into a wall. (obv not counting the car and any injuries to you) Like do they just send you a bill for loving up the track?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

OhnOmyMuddaFada posted:

Saw this the other night, owned by a local shop. ZO6 with light motor work, most intensive thing being valve guides. 345 rear tires, extra widebody kit, wide sideskirts, no sideviews... 3100 pounds and 600 to the wheels.

Considering the z06 comes with 335 width tires stock and 345's fit on the stock wheels just fine that's the least impressive part about the car.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Where is the green racing line?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
The rear end on the GTA car looks better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This should probably go in a different thread, but I assume everyone in this thread will have seen project binky, and I have a question about project binky. Anyone know what those rubber/plastic things were that they used for bumpers on the pivoting front end? Cone shaped, male and female ends, looked like black rubber. Do those things have a name? Any idea where they can be found? I got a project that needs something a lot like that.

Seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_H8bK8o3UM&t=19s