Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

Does the holy mantle refresh in between greed mode waves, or do you have to physically leave the room? Related, if you use the button in greed mode do you get less coins overall?

No, yes, yes, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jibo posted:

No, yes, yes, unfortunately.

However, if you stop the waves each time you could refresh Holy Mantle for every wave by re-entering the main room. This would result in less money though. I feel like Greed Mode as The Lost is such a weird thing, though, that I bet The Shovel would be a pretty strong item.

The Lost is all about trying to get very specific items for very specific builds, and it doesn't make any sense to play the game the normal way since it's just too risky.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 16, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

do you get less money for a wave if you don't complete it before the next one starts?

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Ok, so the Glass Cannon takes away all of The Keeper's Health, but he still lives. However, if you exit the game and come back when you have 0 coins, you instantly die. :v:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Manatee Cannon posted:

do you get less money for a wave if you don't complete it before the next one starts?

I really don't think that matters. I think as long as you don't press the button you'll be getting around the same amount of coins each floor. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wugga posted:

Ok, so the Glass Cannon takes away all of The Keeper's Health, but he still lives. However, if you exit the game and come back when you have 0 coins, you instantly die. :v:

Firing it again in puts you back to 1 health. And it alternates like that.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Dias posted:

Krampus used to be pretty free, now he's fuckin' murdering me - it feels like his Brimstone starts up faster, and the fact you can't tell the difference between the normal and the moving one means I get hit by the stupid nonsensical Brimstone hitbox that shows up before it's out, and then get hit by the movement because I moved out of the way wrong. Lilith and her detached tears don't help either.

It's especially fun when he floats up to one of the corners and uses the spinning Brimstone, covering the entire room. Rare but annoying.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is it okay to cheat engine all of lost's unlocks or will that make me a bad person

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

do what you gotta do

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Volt Catfish posted:

is it okay to cheat engine all of lost's unlocks or will that make me a bad person

Lost is a stupid lovely character and they locked actually interesting items behind him so go hog wild.

At least Keeper's unlocks are actively harmful or completely Keeper-oriented.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Except for the unlock you get for beating Mega Satan with every character, of course.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It seems that Krampus' head now does the spinning brimstone attack. At least it did it when I used it twice and then dropped it.
Is this chance based, or is it something patched in with the last update?

I think I'm going to stop playing the Lost for a while. I don't want to completely scum my way to its unlocks (but I am not beyond resetting until I get at least a decent damage up or a respawn item), but I've died in the stupidest of ways (eg enter a room and one of the orbitals instantly causes an explosion because it hit an enemy or something - you're dead) or room designs (the two button room I've mentioned with multiple spike tiles with the added bonus of two blue tiles right next to one of the buttons -this last "gently caress-you" in that room is chance based)

The holy mantle should make the Lost a decent character, it's a terrible decision to make the player suffer through the garbage that is the Lost in this game in order to get it (edit, disregard this, I wasn't up-to-date).

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 16, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I thought you had to donate a set amount of coins to the greed donation box to unlock the holy mantle for the lost?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought you had to donate a set amount of coins to the greed donation box to unlock the holy mantle for the lost?

It's this; 879 coins needed.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

:getin:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Volt Catfish posted:

do it asap

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

the Orb of Zot posted:

It's this; 879 coins needed.

Oh. thank god then.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm curious, what happens if you pick up Marked while you have Monstro's Lung? Does anything change at all? What about other charge shot items?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I haven't gotten Monstro's Lung with it, but Chocolate milk automatically charges for different amounts of time depending on how close the cursor is to you. Further away meant it charged each shot longer, up close it tap-fired.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Holy crap, brimstone with epic fetus now creates a shower of brimstone beams that originate from the explosion. It pretty much clears the entire room.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Mr. Whale posted:

Holy crap, brimstone with epic fetus now creates a shower of brimstone beams that originate from the explosion. It pretty much clears the entire room.

Really? Do you have Sad Bombs?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is there any videos about breaking the game like the original had? I have forgotten a lot of the tips besides not taking damage. I struggle too much trying to get bonkers powerful.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 16, 2015

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Invalid Validation posted:

Is there any videos about breaking the game like the original had? I have forgotten a lot of the tips besides not taking damage. I struggle too much trying to get bonkers powerful.

Play greed mode, get a d6 or perthro or dice shard, get some bombs and go on angel rooms. Destroy the statue, kill the angel, exit and reload. Reroll after you run out of bombs. Works great with chaos if you don't have all lost stuff.

Or get a d20 in greed mode for infinite money and infinite items from the shop.

Blank card and 2 of diamonds with shop reroll and chaos in regular mode/greed.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Really? Do you have Sad Bombs?

nope. I did later pick up proptosis, 20/20, coal, and a slew of other damage items though. Hush died in 6 total shots and every other boss died in one hit.

LRVY Q12J is the seed if anyone wants to check it out.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Managed to screw up two nailed-on Speed! runs... First one I got The Bible from a library early on but no mapping; died on Womb II to a random Polycephalus. Second one started with 20/20 and got The Mind in the caves but didn't have the health to take on It Lives; died with it down at 25%. I'm basically not touching this challenge anymore unless I get The Mind or the Book of Secrets in the first item room.

At least I beat The Guardian earlier.

edit: Thank the lord. 20/20, 8 Inch Nails and another Bible got me through. Even had a minute to spare. That's all the challenges done finally.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 16, 2015

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Today's daily was good to me. Dr. Fetus in an item room, then I found/rerolled glitter bombs and then got a Sack Head in the store oops now it's a breaking run. Crashed in Dark Room when I rerolled my entire item pool to breakfest and tried to shoot a tear.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Just had a Ludivico Technique shielded tear that was large enough that it absorbed every single shot that Hush Fired, making the fight just 5 minutes of me standing around waiting for it to end and occasionally repositioning the tear.

I tried to take a screenshot but somehow my screenshot ended up with the pause menu overtop everything even though I'm 100% sure I wasn't paused.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

LibbyM posted:

Just had a Ludivico Technique shielded tear that was large enough that it absorbed every single shot that Hush Fired, making the fight just 5 minutes of me standing around waiting for it to end and occasionally repositioning the tear.

I tried to take a screenshot but somehow my screenshot ended up with the pause menu overtop everything even though I'm 100% sure I wasn't paused.

Were you in fullscreen? For some reason I find that the game never screenshots properly when I try to take one fullscreen.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Haven't played in a couple days, did they update the game again?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Started a run with just a goat head from the curse room. Somehow managed to kill hush with barely and damage and ended up in this situation

Half a heart left and the door closed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCR3vHgTgc

Quite satisfied with the end result even though I forgot to use the tower card :(

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

13/f/cali posted:

Were you in fullscreen? For some reason I find that the game never screenshots properly when I try to take one fullscreen.

I was. I guess I now know to exit fullscreen next time there's something I want to grab an image of.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Invalid Validation posted:

Quick Normal/Hard primer involving items in shops(which assumes you know nothing about Afterbirth and are reasonably familiar with Rebirth):

Restock, items you buy in shops instantly restock. Pair this with a blood bank/IV on anyone with two or more red hearts and you can get infinite coins. As there is a chance that each IV usage will give you just one coin, it works better if you have Humbling Bundle or Steam Sale. These will also allow you to work with Soul Hearts (assuming they are in the shop). I also recommend getting a coin in the machine at the end of Greed Mode first as it unlocks Lucky Pennies which drop fairly often in this setup and can max out your luck pretty quickly. This means more nickles and dimes from IV usage meaning less time spent buying hearts. I also recommend doing this with the D6 unlocked and doing it on the floor where you get the IV bag because of the item that makes this really great:

Chaos, which makes pedestal items randomly pull from any item pool. This means that theoretically, with the above setup, you can get any item (Rare item weighting not withstanding) in the shop. Assuming you've got an item keeping the pedestal from the Blood Bank active then you can buy things from the shop and eventually get the D6, which you can use to reroll the spacebar items that will clutter the shop. Just make sure you put the IV bag back on it's pedestal outside of the shop before you roll, so you don't roll it away too. Note that I'm pretty sure that items that drop only from specific enemies either won't show up or have an extremely little chance to (the key pieces and Krampus' Head). It's worth noting that even without an infinite setup, Chaos is really good. I've noticed that I always seem to get full on Guppy from shop pools once I pick it up. One thing you want to be weary of with the above setup is:

Curse of the Tower, a passive item that makes it so any time you take damage it triggers the Tower effect (spawns a bunch of active bombs). This will trigger with each time you use the IV, meaning you will probably take extra damage per coin and you'll have to leave the shop when you use it unless you want to drain your donation machine. However, you might consider picking it up because it combos well Pyromaniac (obviously) and also:

Glitter Bombs, which give your bombs a chance to drop pickups. If you've got high luck (which you should if you've been doing the IV thing) then any hit with Curse of the Tower is probably going to pay out in more health and a bunch of consumables. Glitter Bombs are also great if you've got Dr. Fetus. Glitter Bombs with Curse of the Tower gets downright crazy if you have:

Cluster Bombs, which make your bombs split into 2-4 smaller bombs when they detonate. This means you'll be spawning ~30 bombs every time you take damage (other than from your own bombs) and they will each have a high chance of dropping consumables. I'm pretty sure these can even drop chests, so you can turn basically any source of damage into unlimited everything with high enough luck. Just be aware that this poo poo can get so crazy (especially if you have Sad Bombs) that it can crash your game. Make sure that you quit to the main menu periodically so that you can create safety saves.

I personally believe those are the two best ways to break the game at the moment (outside of Greed Mode). Glitter Bombs, Chaos, and Restock being three of the most brokenly good items in the game right now. Neither appears to be a Rare Item and all of the Afterbirth items I mentioned are unlocked at the start.

I'm no expert on Greed Mode but my most broken runs always involve getting strong enough to clear the waves while looking for playing cards (and buying them in hopes of getting 2 of Diamonds) and The Blank Card. Then you want to find The Habit or a shop with a regular battery and just go to town buying everything. You particularly want Starter Deck and Perthro/Dice Shard.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Bag head is also mondo good and basically acts as an accelerator/force multiplier for everything mentioned above

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jusupov posted:

Started a run with just a goat head from the curse room. Somehow managed to kill hush with barely and damage and ended up in this situation

Half a heart left and the door closed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCR3vHgTgc

Quite satisfied with the end result even though I forgot to use the tower card :(

How do you get your items to show up on the left?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

Bag head is also mondo good and basically acts as an accelerator/force multiplier for everything mentioned above

I always forget about that item. I don't think they have it in Greed Mode anymore and that's all I've been playing.

But yeah, not only is it super good but it also gives you mad batteries so any spacebar item will become way more useful with it.

Kurtofan posted:

Not sure if there's an in game option for it but if you edit the Options or Settings file located in your My Games folder for BOI Afterbirth then there's a value you can change there that puts that in.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think I've had really really bad luck with glitter bombs because I've never actually seen them drop pickups.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jibo posted:

Not sure if there's an in game option for it but if you edit the Options or Settings file located in your My Games folder for BOI Afterbirth then there's a value you can change there that puts that in.

It is, it's called like "expanded hud" or something.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

There's an ingame option called extra hud

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

IronicDongz posted:

I think I've had really really bad luck with glitter bombs because I've never actually seen them drop pickups.

I think with base luck it's something dumb like 1 in 5 chance to drop them. That's still an item or two with curse of the tower every time you get hit. You start working in some Lucky Pennies and after a while they will drop items more often than not.

I basically take any of the bomb pickups anyway since they all give at least five bombs, that's a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Don't forget that if you manage to get 2 Steam Sales all shop items are free for the rest of the run.