Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
fishman island was pretty bad with a great flashback, punk hazard was legitimately awful, dressrosa was pretty bad with randomly bizarrely good scenes scattered once in a blue moon, zou was great and whole cake island is top tier.

the new worlds been weird so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Punk Hazard had some pacing problems, but it was miles better than Fishman Island. There was lots of fun stuff with Law switching people around and meeting Kinemon and dealing with Brownbeard and the giant kids. And a couple good fights.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I agree, there's a lot of aggravating weeks where chapters explain in detail what we've discussed to death. Fishman Island had 2 months worth of flashbacks to tell us why fishmen hate humans, something we already knew since the Archipelago. Punk Hazard had several chapters showcasing Caesar as a jackass (obviously), and Dressrosa had a full chapter dedicated to explaining the gladiator "Lucy" was Luffy the hero during the final Doflamingo fight. It makes me feel some chapters were written for people who haven't read in months and need a recap of the current plot but who can't be bothered to actually read the story.

That said, upon reread I really enjoy the new world arcs and I think Oda has made a big improvement to pacing since Dressrosa. The former arcs had over two months of flashbacks before we got back to the Luffy vs Hodi, Luffy vs Doffy fights which really strained my attention span (ie caring span). Whole Cake Isle has kept flashback segments to 2 chapters max and there's been several high profile, BIG NEWS fights between Luffy and Linlin's crew. Hell, the Zou arc completed so fast I didn't even have time to complain!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Nah, it was a ball of ingredients designed to combine with Smiley's gas and produce Shinokuni, killing Smiley in the process.

It's funny how they hyped Shinokuni, with its overcomplicated production, being made by one of the best scientists in the world, with every important bigshot of the underworld observing the test run... and ends up being less deadly than Don Krieg's MH5.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbp posted:

fishman island was pretty bad with a great flashback, punk hazard was legitimately awful, dressrosa was pretty bad with randomly bizarrely good scenes scattered once in a blue moon, zou was great and whole cake island is top tier.

the new worlds been weird so far.

I liked Fishman Island and I think Dressrosa got worse as it went on, but was largely solid for most of it.

Punk Hazard is probably my least favourite One Piece arc though.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dressrosa gets way too much hate here, there was a lot of fantastic moments in that arc. Solid mid tier one IMO.

Punk Hazard and Fishman Island were the low points of the series for me.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Dressrosa is an arc that got worse as it went on. Almost every good part is in the first half of it, almost all the bad is in the back half.

So Dressrosa really really sucks in the part of it that sucks, but its perfectly fine until then. Its a bit too cluttered but no more than Punk Hazard had going on, until we get to Kyros and Diamante, Pica, Bellamy, and everything involving the Bird Cage and Doflamingo's final fight. That's the part where the arc took a real nosedive.

But as soon as they sailed off of that drat island, One Piece's quality shot back up through the roof and hasn't dipped down since. Zou and Totland have been incredible.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked the stuff with Bellamy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Zou was especially good for managing a whole fifty excellent chapters despite Luffy entering at the conclusion of the arc with all the important action already having taken place (except for Jack eating poo poo hard, which was great).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm wondering if there will be a nod to or flashback about Ace by Wano's inhabitants considering Marineford pointed out his relationship with Oars Jr there and if Luffy will react to that nostalgia.

E: Also is there a new chapter this week?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 1, 2017

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm wondering if there will be a nod to or flashback about Ace by Wano's inhabitants considering Marineford pointed out his relationship with Oars Jr there and if Luffy will react to that nostalgia.

E: Also is there a new chapter this week?
I totally forgot Ace had been to Wano, this manga has the deepest lore

also yes there's a chapter this week

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I think one of the big pacing problems is Oda's love of ticking-bomb plot devices. It started with a literal ticking bomb in Arabasta and was followed by the big ball of lightning that was going to destroy Skypeia, the approaching dawn on Thriller Bark, running from the gas on Punk Hazard, and Bird Cage in Dressrosa. It worked OK for Arabasta, where it was a subplot to provide variety while Luffy was fighting Crocodile, and Thriller Bark, where it didn't really take up panel time. The problem comes with the constant cutaways to the lightning/gas/strings moving infinitesimally closer, which is just a waste of panels.

Ehhh yeah i kinda, sorta agree. I think that's why I enjoyed Zou so much, it was Oda experimenting with a new storytelling method which he had never really used before and it was done really well. It's basically a flashback arc but does'nt feel like one at all. I'm honestly worried that Wano will end up like Dressrosa though. It's got so many pieces in it and such a big opponent, that it will be extremely difficult to pace correctly if Oda lets it get away from him like he did with Fishman Island and Dressrosa.I'd rather he keep the pacing similar to the likes of Marineford, Zou and the current arc because otherwise it's just gonna be a slog, even though i have no doubt it will have tons of amazing moments.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel like people shittalking Punk Hazard are forgetting that everything up until Smiley died was basically peak One Piece Fun Adventure Times, because there were an absurdly good amount of fun gags like Luffy's half of the crew coming out of the frozen lake.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one piece always has good gags. punk hazard isn't special in that

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Anyone want to remind me what the good gags from Fishman Island were? Because I'm drawing a blank.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 1, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
did you like it when sanji saw mermaids and had nosebleeds?

hahaha, how hilarious

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Anyone want to remind me what the good gags from Fishman Island were? Because I'm drawing a blank.

I forget his name but that guy claiming he was headbutting someone's foot after they stepped on his face

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I don't know about funny, but there a lot of nice badass little moments in Fishman that I enjoyed. Zoro and Brook's fights come to mind

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

I forget his name but that guy claiming he was headbutting someone's foot after they stepped on his face

Zeo.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
The Straw Hats "accidentally" taking the entire Ryuguu Castle hostage was pretty good. Also Vander Decken was pretty funny as a pathetic sleazebag villain who was only a threat because he happened to win the devil fruit lottery. Much more interesting than Hody.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Star Platinum posted:

The Straw Hats "accidentally" taking the entire Ryuguu Castle hostage was pretty good. Also Vander Decken was pretty funny as a pathetic sleazebag villain who was only a threat because he happened to win the devil fruit lottery. Much more interesting than Hody.

im still sad van der decken never got to fight usopp

unless

what if blackbeard's fruit hunt leads to van auger getting his fruit

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dr Subterfuge posted:

the princess mermaid had mondo breasts

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Star Platinum posted:

o yea taking over the palace was pretty funny

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I just reread Fishman island a few days ago and it is really bad. I went in optimistic because it's a slow arc with a cool flashback, but it just keeps building to nothing. Hody's crew were all super lame, except Zeo who was incredible. The villains suck, Neptune and his family are alright but pretty middle of the road for one piece islanders and the fights are the worst in all of One Piece by far. It's literally just the bad guy standing up, getting hit by their respective straw hats new super attack, repeat until the straw hat has shown off all their new basic tool set with the villain barely even being on panel. It blows and lasts way too long.

Fisher Tiger doesn't make up for it, it's by far the worst arc in the series imo. Punk Hazard is really fun honestly, I don't get the hate. Dressrosa is also pretty bad but its a huge step up from Fishman island and had really high high points like God Usopp and, well maybe that's it but it's a big one.

I do wanna stress how good Zeo is though. He can camouflage and his role in the Hody crew is lay on the ground in crowds of people and yell about how their gonna die to freak them out. He gets trampled on constantly and tries to pass it off as headbutt combat. He deserved better.

E: Fishman is an entire arc comprised of nothing but Zoro vs. Pica minus what little personality that managed to have with Pica's voice and Elizabello.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hody was basically just fat Arlong, only not nearly as threatening (I think he might have even had the same voice actor as Arlong in the anime as well). Hell, you probably could have had him just BE Arlong with a new crew and it probably would have had more impact.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 1, 2017

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

still think the flashback and stuff related to that at least was really really good

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Fishman Island was the extremely long flashback for the extremely tragic 10th strawhat.

e: Forgot about this part

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 1, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mabels big day posted:

still think the flashback and stuff related to that at least was really really good

Yeah that's the main problem with the arc imo, like the basic premise is cool but it's also the Holy poo poo Look How Strong Everyone But Zoro Got arc, so there's a ton of bloat to combine those two things.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

uh zoro takes out hodi in one strike underwater

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

EGSunBro posted:

Dressrosa is also pretty bad but its a huge step up from Fishman island and had really high high points like God Usopp and, well maybe that's it but it's a big one.

Look at this guy, already forgotten the hard-boiled manliness that was Senor Pink. Disgraceful.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the doflamingo pirates are the best enemy pirate crew as far as personality depth and just being interesting opponents in general

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dragonatrix posted:

Look at this guy, already forgotten the hard-boiled manliness that was Senor Pink. Disgraceful.

Everything to do with Bartolomeo was great too, as was Bellamy's part. Some of the arena stuff like Luffy befriending a killer bull was fun too.

Anyway, I've just been watching some Marineford videos on YouTube and realised something weird: Whitebeard appears to be a few decades older than anyone on his crew, or even in his fleet. All the Division Commanders like Ace, Marco and Jaws/Jozu appear pretty young, and even minor characters like Thatch seem at least a generation younger than Whitebeard himself. There's no one of equivalent age to Whitebeard, Rayleigh, Sengoku, Garp and their generation in his crew that I can recall. I wonder did he lose a crew at some point? Seems unlikely given his apparent strength, but maybe they just aged out and either retired or died so that by the time we see him it's all new, young blood in his crew and fleet.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Squard is definitely in the same generation as Whitebeard since he had a personal grudge against Roger for wiping out his crew. Likely so are like Fossa and the other older looking guys.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
what generation is brooks from?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

roger was a rookie when he died so he's older than whitebeard

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the doflamingo pirates are the best enemy pirate crew as far as personality depth and just being interesting opponents in general

I'd say Arlong and Moria's crews are at least as interesting, since they both appear to treat what crew they have with respect and even love and get it back in return as well as having some variety of personality between the various members. Arlong was a racist, supremacist dick bag to humans and even to actual fish like the one he used as a ferry, but he seemed to actually like his own crew and while Moria talked about how he would win by having a zombie crew that was expendable, he seed to treat the few living members of his crew like Absalom well. That genuine camaraderie as well as sympathetic backstory, even if only vague, counts for a lot. I found Diamante and a few other members of Doflamingo's crew rather dull, and even a few guys like Derringer to have fun designs but no great interactions to back it up. Even Pica was fun mostly for how people reacted to him, rather than for anything he actually did.

EGSunBro posted:

Squard is definitely in the same generation as Whitebeard since he had a personal grudge against Roger for wiping out his crew. Likely so are like Fossa and the other older looking guys.

I'd forgotten Fossa even existed, and Squardo's reasoning, but they along with Blenheim are older looking certainly. Marco could conceivably be older too, since his devil fruit could stop him visibly aging. The vast majority are still rather young looking given Whitebeard's age though.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 1, 2017

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Whitebeard's whole deal was being the father figure to his crew so it makes since he would recruit the strongest younger or more aimless pirates. He recruited older guys like Squard only when they seemed like they really needed the guidance and family, but was mostly grooming a new generation of pirates that cared about each other and was hoping to make one of them pirate king.

Moria and his crew stick with me. Moria being who he is because the crew he truly loved was massacred, and then his current crew still really caring for each other but not being willing to admit it is a great contrast to the straw hats. If Luffy is too weak he becomes Moria. Absalom and Perona caring a lot about Moria, and them in turn feeling awful about apparently abandoning Perona, are really nice looks at other crews that actually function similar to the straw hats.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
marco may have an eternal death and rebirth cycle going on

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Brook is currently 90, while Whitebeard would be 74 and Roger 77.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i wonder if cavendish's trance mode and big mom's trance mode are from the same phenomenon/cause