Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Jst0rm posted:

What movie is this?

I too wish to know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

lol you think he's only 350?

kg maybe

e: he fat

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Already posted? Unable to keep up with this thread :)

Director of Games Ops - Jeremy Masker left in November and now works at Epic
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremysmasker

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Well as they run out of money it will be less and less people. Once we hit 2017, it will be just Croberts sitting alone in a dark basement of an industrial park and streaming yet another jpeg sale to pay his electricity bills.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

sorla78 posted:

Thats normal, people come and go, thats game development.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpkQlnPsSgA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHWyo2V77dU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jst0rm posted:

gently caress his heart is not gonna go far.

He's already lost an eye.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

EightAce posted:

Friend of mine , fellow game dev , worked at Austin. Told me they brought forward the layoffs from Dec to Nov including his. Also said after Christmas there are some 'Shockingly' high profile leavers.
However Chris is totally confident and with a real spring in his step. The grunts are assuming he has secured major funding ?

I can't believe that a dude who is worked for them think Chris Roberts has a spring in his step because he still has money/ got some from an investor literally after being laid off probably because they can't pay him. That is a really weird line of logic unless there was another reason Austin got dismantled? I can't think of one. That is just weird the whole studio shut down.

Vire fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 19, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

sorla78 posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/JMasker_CIG

Hasn't been posted, they left his citizen profile, must have learnt we can spot when they disappear.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5278536/#Comment_5278536

Jeremy Masker posted:

Greetings,

I think some people are misunderstanding what this forum is for. This forum was created so Star Citizen fans and backers can "Ask Operations" about tech questions regarding the operation of the game. The Ops team can not provide game status updates.
Our team is responsible for setting up the cloud infrastructure (VMs, Databases, networking, etc), the launcher, and running many of the internal development tools (build server, downloaders, etc).

If you have questions about game development, game status, balance changes, or suggestions on how to design the game, please look to our other forum channels.

Thank you,

Jeremy Masker
Operations Director
Cloud Imperium Games

:toot: Last post.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Also Ship Shape Woman still isn't working officially with Sony - assuming that it was a mcguffin provided by her to CIG to save face and gladly picked up by CIG to explain back to backers who gladly ate the cake.

Their jobs page hasn't changed much since at least two months, sitting static at 60+ something jobs with listings going back as far as 2014. Looks like they aren't really updating those headcount listings anymore - maybe to keep them around to simulate a healthy - staff hungry company.

Seeing that Billy Lord got fired but them still seeming to look for a 3d Artist at Santa Monica - this company is just plain weird.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

sorla78 posted:

Also Ship Shape Woman still isn't working officially with Sony - assuming that it was a mcguffin provided by her to CIG to save face and gladly picked up by CIG to explain back to backers who gladly ate the cake.

Their jobs page hasn't changed much since at least two months, sitting static at 60+ something jobs with listings going back as far as 2014. Looks like they aren't really updating those headcount listings anymore - maybe to keep them around to simulate a healthy - staff hungry company.

Seeing that Billy Lord got fired but them still seeming to look for a 3d Artist at Santa Monica - this company is just plain weird.

It's really strange / insulting. Nothing this company does makes sense. Unless they are blaming the Austin people for everything and think they are untalented hacks I just don't really get why they are firing / laying off everyone then moving to a more expensive studio and then re hiring. It is expensive as poo poo just to replace some one doing the same job just in administration and training cost. Not to mention you will probably have to pay them more to work at Santa Monica just because of cost of living.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
After you get used to drinking creamy ketchup tea, you graduate to drinking ketchup flavoured lard cola. The bubbles usually puncture the thick crust of fat that forms in the first few minutes after you unpeel the can.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Vire posted:

It's really strange / insulting. Nothing this company does makes sense. Unless they are blaming the Austin people for everything and think they are untalented hacks I just don't really get why they are firing / laying off everyone then moving to a more expensive studio and then re hiring. It is expensive as poo poo just to replace some one doing the same job just in administration and training cost. Not to mention you will probably have to pay them more to work at Santa Monica just because of cost of living.

CIG makes more sense when you don't think of them as a video game company and see them more a way back into movies for Chris funded with a jpeg store. Any game stuff is incidental.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
For anyone curious about the engine workings, the latest bug smashers came out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vHF8PGLMAI

It's an AC 2.0 bug with the ship simulation systems. When a player activates a control (like using one of the console screens, or sitting in the pilot seat) a packet is sent to the server with a request for access to various ship systems based on the console they are trying to access. Mark shows one of the issues they encountered where some of the ship systems were not being enabled on the client, despite the server sending the authorization.

Also, some AC 2.0 video in case people wondered what it looked like.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

AP posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/JMasker_CIG

Hasn't been posted, they left his citizen profile, must have learnt we can spot when they disappear.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5278536/#Comment_5278536

:toot: Last post.

Well it doesn't sound like he did anything important. It's fine. Everything is ok. This is normal.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

For anyone curious about the engine workings, the latest bug smashers came out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vHF8PGLMAI

It's an AC 2.0 bug with the ship simulation systems. When a player activates a control (like using one of the console screens, or sitting in the pilot seat) a packet is sent to the server with a request for access to various ship systems based on the console they are trying to access. Mark shows one of the issues they encountered where some of the ship systems were not being enabled on the client, despite the server sending the authorization.

Also, some AC 2.0 video in case people wondered what it looked like.

Thanks for the update on this stupid thing.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
So I've been following the SC drama over the last month or so out of the same morbid love of insanity as the rest of you, but there's something I still don't get, especially now that CIG are outright calling the ship purchases 'sales' and not 'pledge rewards' anymore.

When the game finally launches, I assume it will function like any other game ever and people who just buy the thing and play it will be able to gain (in-game) the same ships that they're selling for stupid amounts of money right now, right? I mean the big ships could take ages to grind up to, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few variants that were left backer-exclusive, but they'll largely still be there, right?

Is that the case? Or are people still going to have to buy the ships with real money, either through DLC or by going the old MMO route and making them so ludicrously expensive in-game that people just wind up paying for 'credits' to get the good ships if they don't want to grind for 3 years?

I know that there's a few whales who don't care either way and are just outright funding it because they have nothing left in their own lives and are stuck in a sunk-cost fallacy. But for the rest of the people who are still backing it (for a few hundred dollars, say), are they buying the ships just to skip a few days of grind?

But if the ships are going to be paywalled in some way then wow, that will go down with the wider world as the biggest dick move in game publishing history. I don't know which is worse.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Rasmussen posted:

I can't keep up with this thread is there somewhere I can find an up to date summary of where this train wreck is at? Is CIG out of money yet? Is the game still happening? Did dsmart burn them all to the ground?

no, no, and no. basically.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Bat Ham posted:

Is that the case? Or are people still going to have to buy the ships with real money, either through DLC or by going the old MMO route and making them so ludicrously expensive in-game that people just wind up paying for 'credits' to get the good ships if they don't want to grind for 3 years?

People are suppose to be able to get most of the ships through normal play.

I'd expect that to last until the first $10,000 whale gets their autism chariot blown up by someone whose played the game for 6 hours.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I'd expect that to last until the first $10,000 whale gets their autism chariot blown up by someone whose played the game for 6 hours.

autism chariot makes me so pleased. great word

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Jst0rm posted:

Thanks for the update on this stupid thing.

Welcome :)

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Bat Ham posted:

The ships will be acquired in game. They will not require purchases.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Greetings condiment fans,

I would like to introduce to you some god-tier mayo

ta daa!

seriously try this poo poo

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

Well it doesn't sound like he did anything important. It's fine. Everything is ok. This is normal.

His two listed CIG projects from linkedin.

quote:

Outline: Write a proprietary game launcher that would allow CIG to internally handle all functions of updating, patching, and community engagement.

While CIG had a launcher before this project, it was a licensed product from SSN. The patching solution for the launcher was less than stellar, and with the amount of data that was being delivered it was causing major customer problems.

Over the course of three months our team designed and implemented base functionality in conjunction with our contract studio Turbulent that allowed us to stop using SSN completely, and switched our user base to our own launcher.

While not only cheaper, this new launcher had bootstrap tech that allowed it to update easily, and used the bittorrent protocol which much more rapidly distributed patch data to users. After a few patches to the launcher, the end result was stable, fast, and community engaging.

It also was designed to collect analytics on its users, allowing the company to make better choices about releasing content.

They analyse what people who play the game are doing, I'm glad someone is wondering what the hell they are doing.

quote:

Outline: Scrap the older Jenkins build server used by the company, and build a new server that was highly dynamic, scale-able, faster, and more stable.

This project took 3 months to complete, but was extremely beneficial to the company. Designed by Joseph and implemented by Joe and Miles, it was a major improvement to our internal development rhythm.

At the end of the project, when the final switch from the old build server to the new one was complete, the company was seeing a 50% reduction in build times, a 300% improvement to the number of builds able to be produced simultaneously, and an 800% improvement in the number of builds we were able to produce daily.

He sounds like he did really useful stuff, not terribly surprised he's not there anymore.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Japanese mayo is superior-est

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

starkebn posted:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hijikata endorsed mayo

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

starkebn posted:

french dijon mayonnaise in those toothpaste-like tubes.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I have crazy friends who think buying into SC will net them greater gains when the game releases. The wisest business decision I can see is for CIG to keep this whale hunt up. Offer green eyed fan boys more ship sales with the idea that the prices will skyrocket at launch.

How does this sound familiar. Can't quite put my finger on it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Europe's most successful Kickstarter idea, has been shut down by the company behind it.

quote:

One of the backers told the BBC he had invested £164 in Zano in November 2014.

"Even up until a few weeks ago, we were getting emails saying the first 7,000 Zanos were nearly ready to be dispatched," he said.

"It's unfortunate to see Europe's most successful Kickstarter campaign... implode quite so spectacularly, particularly so close to them finally shipping."

Another, Sandro Ruch, said he had invested a couple of hundred dollars and was particularly disappointed with how Torquing had communicated with backers of the project in recent months.

"That was the main thing, the main point that upsets me today because it's a question of investor expectation management," he told the BBC.

The news has already been met with consternation by backers on social networks.

"I want my money back!" wrote one, on the Zano Facebook page.

After raising record $3.4M on Kickstarter, UK drone startup collapses

quote:

Kickstarter's terms of service only provide general guidelines if such a project falls apart. "The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers," the site says.

David Gallagher, a Kickstarter spokesman, noted that the crowdfunding platform is not responsible for projects that do not come to fruition. “The short version is that Kickstarter is a home for creative projects and a new way for people to work together to make things,” he e-mailed Ars earlier this month. “It's not a store. Creating something new can of course involve unexpected obstacles. We encourage project creators to be transparent with backers about any problems they run into on the way to completing their projects.”

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
2.0 coming Thursday according to channer who claims to work for CIG Austin:

http://boards.4chan.org/vg/thread/122673552/scg-star-citizen-general-anniversary-sale-soon

:munch:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
So what are the legal ramifications for CiG if let's say there was a fire or some crazy accident that destroyed too many things causing them to be unable to complete the game?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

no_recall posted:

I have crazy friends who think buying into SC will net them greater gains when the game releases. The wisest business decision I can see is for CIG to keep this whale hunt up. Offer green eyed fan boys more ship sales with the idea that the prices will skyrocket at launch.

How does this sound familiar. Can't quite put my finger on it.

That makes sense, as Star Citizen will be the world's most popular game, easily eclipsing League of Legends' 27 million daily players. I'm expecting a 10x turnover for my own jpeg at the very, very least.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Fry Andy posted:

That makes sense, as Star Citizen will be the world's most popular game, easily eclipsing League of Legends' 27 million daily players. I'm expecting a 10x turnover for my own jpeg at the very, very least.

Same

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Jst0rm posted:

What movie is this?

Hong Kong Godfather

Also, congratulations, Bootcha.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

sorla78 posted:

This guy was an A-list chump, here's some stuff he's responsible for:

Star Citizen/CIG Launcher Creation 2015 - this is the thing that re-downloads the entire 40g game package if someone adds a code comment, and ddoses itself if you enable P2P file sharing.
Star Citizen Build Server Creation 2015 - the same ones that take like 24 hours to do one build and deploy.

CIG is so hosed hahahahaha.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

JackDarko posted:

So what are the legal ramifications for CiG if let's say there was a fire or some crazy accident that destroyed too many things causing them to be unable to complete the game?

Unless someone corrects me I think nothing much if you can't prove they were up to something dodgy and proving something like that would be incredibly difficult. They have released stuff, they have been working on other stuff, the backers could take them to court for failing to deliver but if there's no money left what's the point as they wouldn't get much/anything?

I believe Individuals aren't responsible for company debts in a LLC/LTD company, that's the whole point, so everyone gets to walk away, "sad, we tried, nevermind. What do you mean you have it bad? I've lost my highly paid job."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm a pretty big deal in gaming and let me tell you what, there's something not quite right about this game

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Toops posted:

Star Citizen Build Server Creation 2015 - the same ones that take like 24 hours to do one build and deploy.

The builds don't take 24 hours. They're down to 4 now, I think? I forgot the last update, but it's significantly down. The release builds are even smaller, thanks to Excalibur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

The builds don't take 24 hours. They're down to 4 now, I think? I forgot the last update, but it's significantly down. The release builds are even smaller, thanks to Excalibur.

Maybe instead of taking 4 hours to do that they should concentrate on finishing the game?

• Locked thread