Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

MacheteZombie posted:

Nah you're good peeps and your posting style has grown on me.

Yeah I may very much disagree with regarding the cool-rear end concept art, Hat Thoughts, but you seem like a chill dude :). Can you briefly explain why you don't like the pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I was gonna put in a disclaimer about how I knew it was a sign of me having bad taste but I thought I might as well stand by my words and deeds

I love that art but if you don't like it then I'm curious to know why, just a couple of elements that don't work if you don't mind.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grendels Dad posted:

The last one could be straight from Akira.

The manga started in 1982, the same year Blade Runner came out. They basically gave birth to Cyberpunk together, half a world apart.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MonsieurChoc posted:

The manga started in 1982, the same year Blade Runner came out. They basically gave birth to Cyberpunk together, half a world apart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Chrome

I think it's undeniable that 1980-1982 were the most important years for percolating cyberpunk. Amazing how it all came out at the same time.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 14, 2016

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I will say this: I like those paintings a lot, but they aren't as polished as some of Syd Mead's other paintings.

Though he's cheating some of the shadows in the second one and two color paintings like the last one are way easier.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I love, love, love this stuff

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

I want to see Zak Snyder's Shark Boy and Lava Girl

Wouldn't that be his owl movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Wouldn't that be his owl movie

Everyone sleeps on that movie. It's p good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MacheteZombie posted:

Everyone sleeps on that movie. It's p good.

It uses 3d as well as Hugo which is the highest compliment I can give it. Really beautiful, luxurious movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

The last one could be straight from Akira.
Your face could be straight from Akira.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I love that art but if you don't like it then I'm curious to know why, just a couple of elements that don't work if you don't mind.

o god okay, well I'm just gonna talk about them as art & not concept art since I figure maybe some of the stuff I dislike about it is just part of it's function. But like, looking at the first one the line my eyes follow are the neon lights & then kinda drift around the buildings/tech and then eventually I guess you get to the people maybe, point being that the emphasis is on the technology/buildings. But the neon's primarily just undefined round shapes and the buildings are just these sort of square monoliths of wires & geometric shapes and none of that is particularly visually interesting 2 me. It's clearly well-done I just get nothing from it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hat Thoughts posted:

I guess you get to the people maybe, point being that the emphasis is on the technology/buildings. But the neon's primarily just undefined round shapes and the buildings are just these sort of square monoliths of wires & geometric shapes

I agree with everything you said but I like, conceptually, that these monolithic geometric shapes are just crushing the people. The manufactured technology dominates, the people are afterthoughts. I can totally see how that is disturbing/bad from both an ideological and compositional angle.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
"Bad art" would have hosed up perspectives and proportions and things of that nature.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

"Bad art" would have hosed up perspectives and proportions and things of that nature.

no...naive art is good

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What if I told you...

That all art is subjective and thus "art" does not truly exist?

:catdrugs:

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
How dou you feel about the other ones I posted, Hat Thoughts? One thing with Syd Mead is his thing is mostly cool futuristic architecture and vehicles, so generally to me it seems like the people are either less important aspects of his paintings or actively a part of the the weird futuristic style he's going for. The neon is unusual, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Picasso: eviscerated with one sentence.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Picasso: eviscerated with one sentence.

Bad Art:
"Why does that look so hosed up?"
"The artist hosed up."

Good Art:
"Why does that look so hosed up?"
"The artist knew precisely how to gently caress up."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cave paintings: good art or bad art?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Amateurish.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Technologically primitive good art.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Before cave paintings I'm sure people were like, tastefully arranging pebbles and stuff.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

How dou you feel about the other ones I posted, Hat Thoughts? One thing with Syd Mead is his thing is mostly cool futuristic architecture and vehicles, so generally to me it seems like the people are either less important aspects of his paintings or actively a part of the the weird futuristic style he's going for. The neon is unusual, though.

I mean I like them better but I wouldn't say they really connect with me either. Dig the reflections though + it's interesting how prominent nature is in all those techno-futures .

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I mean I like them better but I wouldn't say they really connect with me either. Dig the reflections though + it's interesting how prominent nature is in all those techno-futures .

I think it's realistic. We've made so many hideous, blocky, sterile depictions of the future that a lot of city designers seem to be consciously avoiding it, but at the same time the same old financial/industrial/social pressures still exist. I could easily buy those first two images as future Pittsburgh, for example.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think it's realistic. We've made so many hideous, blocky, sterile depictions of the future that a lot of city designers seem to be consciously avoiding it, but at the same time the same old financial/industrial/social pressures still exist. I could easily buy those first two images as future Pittsburgh, for example.

Yeah, it's very much plant life as urban decoration. Which I certainly prefer to the alternatives, but you know Duquesne Light is going to be there if one of those trees actually tries to interfere with the infrastructure. It's not exactly what I think of as "nature."

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Posting a screenshot of a Zac Sneider film is pointless. The guy's cinematography is always great; should be a DP instead of having the director's chair.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bedshaped posted:

Posting a screenshot of a Zac Sneider film is pointless. The guy's cinematography is always great; should be a DP instead of having the director's chair.

Except his previous several movies have all been fantastic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Snyder is so goddamn good.

Jason Momoa is also the loving best. Look at them partying and having fun cause if Snyder.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Every interview and behind the scenes shot of Affleck I've seen recently makes him look like he just red-eyed back from Vegas.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Drifter posted:

Except his previous several movies have all been fantastic.

His last several director credits were:

BvS (Generally considered mediocre to bad)
MoS (Mixed reception; strong praise and strong criticism)
Suckerpunch (Widely panned)
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (Generally considered forgettable)

His best / most popular movies are all from almost 10 years ago:

Watchmen (2009)
300 (2006)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)

The quality of a Snyder movie is inversely proportional to how much influence he has outside of cinematography.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 15, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Suckerpunch is the movie that Snyder had almost 100% creative and script control over.

Dawn of the Dead is the film he had almost no role outside of cinematography.

Math checks out.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Those are all good movies.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (Generally considered forgettable)

Watchmen (2009)
300 (2006)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)

The quality of a Snyder movie is inversely proportional to how much influence he has outside of cinematography.

Have you read most movie critic reviews these days? They're terrible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bedshaped posted:

Can you name a recurring criticism of Snyder's films that isn't "Not my x"? Maybe that his films are overly long, but that's about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

computer parts posted:

Can you name a recurring criticism of Snyder's films that isn't "Not my x"? Maybe that his films are overly long, but that's about it.

Color

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yeah but that dude liked the cinematography.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I thought suckerpunch was good :nyoron:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Watchmen (2009)
300 (2006)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)

find me a well-written and cogently analyzed movie review about BvS that doesn't distill to "these aren't my Beloved Comic Characters" or "The movie title promised a fight, but they didn't really fight each other."

I've only seen BvS, MoS, Guardians, and Watchmen.
The owl one was a pretty neat animated flick, Watchmen and MoS were fantastic, same with BvS. Each movie had its issues (I personally think BvS was a little overstuffed), but they are the king of the crop when it comes to modern Superhero cinema adaptations.

The thing is that Snyder's DC boot are an experience that rewards a deeper reading. I get that some people don't dig that, and want to watch people punch cars and run fast and that's it. I understand why some people don't find enjoyment out of a more meaningfully put together comic book movie. They're beautiful movies, and their beauty tells a story as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Ah yes, who could ever forget the poignant story arch of the Tale of Two Martha's?

• Locked thread