Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I've had a rather weird 'gateway' into metal, if you could call it so at all.

As a say 6 year old kid I was always surrounded by music like Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Deep Purple as my father listened to it constantly. A couple of years later I really liked Kiss for their appearances and my mom gave me denim jackets with maiden backpatches but I didn't really listen to Maiden nor Kiss except for the occasional videos you saw passing by on telly during the 80's. I thought it looked pretty cool and just wanted to look cool too. I got called out for it one time as well by a maiden fan of the same age haha and I really didn't give a poo poo as I still thought Eddie was cool while I mostly listened to hit parade radio music. Anyway when I started to get a bit older during the early 90s I really got into rap music and NU-metal like Korn along with Metallica (gently caress you I really loved the untitled black album!), RATM, Slayer, Guns n Roses, Nirvana and Machine heads debute album and I started to get interested in metal but I couldn't stand the harsh vocals (or very high pitched like Halfords) like most people seem to have problems with. Shortly said, I listened to a lot of poo poo from rock to rap and even alternative electronic music like progressive techno and stuff. I never went to live gigs as I didn't understand why someone wouldn't just listen to the music at home which most of the time sounds better anyway..

I'm 39 now and about 7 years ago my much younger brother in law (metalhead and excellent guitarplayer) asked me to go to a metal festival as he had no one to go with so I thought why not, sounds pretty cool. Since then we go to a lot of gigs and a couple of big festivals every season. Nowadadays I mainly listen to hardrock and metal and I'm contantly on the lookout for new bands and undiscovered bands and albums from the past which didn't get my attention back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Klaaz posted:

I was always surrounded by music like Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Deep Purple

Oh yeah, this was definitely me as well. My parents used to play in a rock band in the 70s, and my dad plays the drums in a small-time cover band he started ~10 years ago. There's always been plenty of music around me, from the Beatles, Procol Harum, Pink Floyd, Cream, Dire Straits, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple etc. to classical, folk, musicals, all kinds of music, though mostly rock.

I just didn't get into metal until my teenage years, and that was mostly an attempt at youthful rebellion, which is kinda hard when your parents actually dig stuff like Motörhead, I guess that's why I got into lovely nu-metal at first.

My parents have made me promise that when we eventually put them in a retirement home, we'll find one with good soundproofing and install the biggest gently caress-off stereo ever, so they can play Deep Purple loud enough to penetrate their tinnitus and hearing loss and crack the walls :rock:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 10, 2015

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I bet I have the lamest first intro to metal album: Danzig II: Lucifuge :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I really wish I had known about this kind of stuff when I was 17:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RjVu7pueZQ

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

fuf posted:

No he owns.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

fuf posted:

Try beating Iowa as the first album I ever bought. :suicide:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

First album, or first metal album? Because I sure as hell can't remember the very first album I ever bought.

First metal album was Slipknot's debut, though. Maybe that was actually the first album I bought for myself, now that I think about it. Then came Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water and Iowa. Limp Bizkit was the band to like at my school, which made me kinda popular for a couple of months.

But then a year or so later later I bought Secret of the Runes, Demanufacture and Obsolete and things started looking up :buddy:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 10, 2015

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Well after Iowa came ...And Justice For All. Then a few months later came Powerslave, Killing Is My Business, and Painkiller and things started to look up.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

First album I got was ...And Justice For All by Metallica. I was so loving obsessed with Metallica when I was in middle and high school and then I switched over to prog rock and Dream Theater. Maybe the second most important album for me was Hate Crew Death Roll by Children of Bodom and that pretty much got me into death metal.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Vargatron posted:

First album I got was ...And Justice For All by Metallica. I was so loving obsessed with Metallica when I was in middle and high school and then I switched over to prog rock and Dream Theater. Maybe the second most important album for me was Hate Crew Death Roll by Children of Bodom and that pretty much got me into death metal.

The Justice for All Tour was my first concert. I was in sixth grade and about 12 years old. My older sister (also a metalhead) took me. I came back to school after the weekend wearing my tour shirt and I knew only a couple other kids in school were lucky enough that night to see Jason Newstead spit a lugie on lady justice to make her crumble to the ground :rock:

My first heavy metal album would have been Piece of Mind by Maiden, when I was about 7 years old. I had a friend with an older brother who had a vinyl copy of Piece of Mind and I was sucked in by how cool Eddie looked. I had no idea about music but I knew something must be good about a bad rear end looking dude like that. I got home and begged my mom to buy it for me until she relented. Been an Iron Maiden fan since.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was watching this series of TV-shows with tons of music and clips of TV from the 80s, and there was this great interview with a teeanger in a record store, circa 1985. He was looking through heavy metal LPs and they asked him what he was looking for.

"Basically anything that looks really evil. You know, demons and skulls and chains. That's how you know you've got the good stuff" :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Vargatron posted:

It's hard for me to overestimate the importance of Bodom Beach Terror on Hate Crew Deathroll for getting me into trve death metal (and Moonshield, of course). Before that I was basically just a power and thrash guy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I firmly believe that Children of Bodom absolutely kicked rear end for a long stretch of their career on a level few bands achieve. They had a great sound, a consistency, and a willingness to roll with the cheese. Every time I listen to the old albums it brings me right back to being like 17 and wanting to be as talented and dreamy as Alexi Laiho. They came across as an evolution of the cheesy riffs out the rear end solos in every song over the top lyrics 80s style metal that is rarely pulled off right. It blessed my fat angsty teenage heart.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
The first album I bought with my own money was The Number of the Beast. As for more extreme metal, first came Reign In Blood, then At The Heart Of Winter turned me onto black metal.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I firmly believe that Children of Bodom absolutely kicked rear end for a long stretch of their career on a level few bands achieve. They had a great sound, a consistency, and a willingness to roll with the cheese. Every time I listen to the old albums it brings me right back to being like 17 and wanting to be as talented and dreamy as Alexi Laiho. They came across as an evolution of the cheesy riffs out the rear end solos in every song over the top lyrics 80s style metal that is rarely pulled off right. It blessed my fat angsty teenage heart.
Children of Bodom were the first milestone for me on the road to shaking off my "nothing but power metal" weenie cloak and appreciating growly lyrics. I still didn't like them, but I tolerated them because the music was just so awesome.

Then I heard Norther's debut album and was finally convinced that growly vocals are actually fine.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
You youngins! :corsair: I was around when metal was just starting, so I grew up right along with it. My siblings were into Kiss and Alice Cooper in the 70's, neither of which I really cared for (and still don't), but they were into Priest which got me rolling into heavier music. I LOVED Maiden and Priest, never quite got into Black Sabbath. Once thrash and hair metal started hitting in the 80's there was no going back. Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica, Nuclear Assault, Megadeth, Testament, etc. I also appreciated hair bands that had some sort of talent, such as Motley Crue. But for me, the true defining moment was Master of Puppets. I had Ride the Lightning beforehand but it didn't click with me the way MoP did, it was my go-to album for at least a year.

I got sick of thrash at some point, and I did not like grunge, so I remember the late 90's as a sort of haze in terms of heavy music. I think at that time I was going through a Bungle-Faith No More stage. I did appreciate the early efforts of NuMetal such as Prong and Korn but those bands burnt out quick. I just can't remember where I got on the death metal train, or even the first band I liked that used growly vocals. I remember hearing Decapitated and loving the riffs, and it just snowballed from there.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I followed a concise introduction into metal:

1. Primus (Getting into music that offends general musical sensibilities)
2. The Faceless (Melodic approach to metal)
3. Meshuggah (Monotone, polyrythmic hate-noise)

Seemed to work pretty well.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My metal history is kind of uncommon in that I didn't really get into it until fairly recently - about 2 or 3 years ago, and I'm 32. Growing up in the 90s I started off listening mainly to alt rock like Bush and Smashing Pumpkins. Even this kind of stuff felt pretty edgy to me. My dad was a Methodist pastor and was vehemently opposed to any "godless" music. I think the first "heavy" albums I owned were the first Limp Bizkit album and Metallica's Reload, which I kept secret from my parents. In high school I started listening to the REALLY sinfull stuff like System of a Down and Godsmack! I was pretty into Rage Against the Machine for a while too. Then I got really into Tool in college. This eventually led to the first actual metal band that I became interested in: Meshuggah. With my limited exposure to this sort of music, I thought they were absolute technical gods. It was only about 3 years ago that I started exploring metal deeper and realized that there's a TON more interesting metal out there than Meshuggah. So you could sorta say I'm still in the formative years of my metal exposure. I've been going through various phases of sub-genre interests. My most recent one has been the real murky, occult-ish stuff like Mitochondrion, Antediluvian, Vassafor, Malthusian, etc. My parents would be proud.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Opeth opened the door for a lot of things for me back in 99 or 2000

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Enjoyed radio rock, brothers got me into punk and hard rock, then my friends pulled me into the local highschool band scene (iirc it went punk/hardcore -> metalcore -> grindcore over a few years). That was my entry point. I remember getting heavy into prog poo poo after my brother got home from his first semester at uni too

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
Never thought I'd say this, but the new Fear Factory sounds promising; really digging this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midnSfMs5Y8

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Machine-gun drumming and riffs combined with lyrics about losing humanity to the machines? Oh yeah, that's unmistakably a Fear Factory track.

You can accuse them of many things, but they've certainly carved out a niche for themselves. I like it.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My first experience with heavy music was sitting in my best friends bedroom in 1991 when I was 8 years old and him putting on a Green Jelly album and I was like holy poo poo, this is great. I took my mother to buy one of their albums and remember her looking at me incredulously as she read off such song titles as "Shitman" and "Whip Me Teenage Babe".

Before that I listened to bullshit like vanilla ice, mc hammer, and NKOTB. Soon after I was on a trip back from seeing my grandparents in Knoxville with my mom again and I made her stop at a Kat's music store and I bought my first proper metal cassette tape with some Christmas money, Master of Puppets and I'll always remember it because the intro to Battery came on in the car and my mom was like "oh this is nice" and turned it WAY THE gently caress UP and then her face turned to :stare: pretty quickly. It still gives me a laugh to this day.

I listened to Metallica pretty exclusively through the mid 90s, saw them at my first concert at 13 with my dad sitting next to me arms folded and earplugs in the whole time until I got into Maiden, Priest, and Megadeth. Opeth broadened my horizons into extreme metal in the late 90s along with In Flames, Slayer, and Children of Bodom.

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 11, 2015

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I just kinda transitioned from Hard Rock and Sabbath to Iron Maiden and stuff and then some thrash but not too much for some reason. I didn't really venture out of the "big four" until later in life (good thing I did though), and from that I got into Death Metal and eventually everything loving else.

I do know Zombie Ritual by Death was the first Death Metal song I gave a serious chance. Not sure if I'm glad I did though.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

trip back from seeing my grandparents in Knoxville with my mom and I made her stop at a Kat's music store and I bought my first proper metal cassette tape with some Christmas money,

Hey cool I'm from Knoxville. I miss Kat's Music, but we've still got a few cool music stores around here.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

kajeto posted:

Never thought I'd say this, but the new Fear Factory sounds promising; really digging this track:

It's really thoughtful of them to print the guitar tab at the bottom of the video.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

kajeto posted:

I'll never understand why Mike Heller took the drumming gig for them. He is far too talented to be loving around with this washed up group of bums.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

HAAHAH MDF early bird tickets just sold out in literally one second today, I got mine though. My friend trying to do it at the same time lost out

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Because Fear Factory probably make decent money by metal standards and also playing drums is a lot of fun with pretty much anybody!

Also I never realized how much of a chotch Burton C. Bell appears to be:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That just isn't a very good look for a 46-year-old :( But damnit, Fear Factory just speaks directly to the cyberpunk-obsessed teen in me.

Anyway, Gloryhammer's new album "Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards" is available for pre-order. It's the cheesiest of all super-cheesy power metal, but just look at that cover art :allears:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 11, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

KozmoNaut posted:

Anyway, Gloryhammer's new album "Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards" is available for pre-order. It's the cheesiest of all super-cheesy power metal, but just look at that cover art :allears:
I know, I've been looking forward to this for a while now. The background concept story is guaranteed GloryHammer as well:

quote:

In the distant future of the year 1992...war has returned to the galaxy. One thousand years have passed since the brave hero Angus McFife defeated the evil sorcerer Zargothrax in the battle of Dunfermline, trapping the wizard in a frozen prison of liquid ice. But now, a cult of unholy chaos wizards are plotting to release their dark master from his ice-bound tomb and once again unleash the sorcerer Zargothrax upon the universe. The tragic destiny of the Galactic Empire of Fife now hangs in the balance once more...

A FROZEN PRISON OF LIQUID ICE :byodood:

Oh and yeah, that cover art owns.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't know anything about that goofy ridiculous band but I think I'm a fan now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

One of my friends is very into Babymetal for some unfathomable reason. I feel like this is the logical continuation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-vje-bq9c

vvvv :allears:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 11, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KozmoNaut posted:

One of my friends is very into Babymetal for some unfathomable reason. I feel like this is the logical continuation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-vje-bq9c
no-click zone

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KozmoNaut posted:

That just isn't a very good look for a 46-year-old :( But damnit, Fear Factory just speaks directly to the cyberpunk-obsessed teen in me.

I've never heard of this band, and saying this as an unashamed fan of Rhapsody, this is great.

quote:

Demon attacked me but then it was slain
the dragon appeared and a battle was fight
I spoke from the words of a powerful scroll
and magical dragon became now allied

loving genius.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just for the record for those who don't know, GloryHammer is a side project of Christopher Bowes, the Alestorm frontman. So it's no wonder it's goofy as all hell.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

caiman posted:

My most recent one has been the real murky, occult-ish stuff like Mitochondrion, Antediluvian, Vassafor, Malthusian, etc. My parents would be proud.

Okay I JUST started listening to this spooky spacey primal yet alien sounding occult influenced stuff this week and I can't get enough of it. Particularly Mitochondrion. What other bands should I try out? Deathspell Omega and Ufomammut to a lesser degree both give me the same feeling. I love the dense atmospheres these bands conjure.

e: in lovely fashion I clicked the artist name for Mitochondrion on Apple Music and it brought me to a recommendation page with surprisingly good bands. ty steve

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 12, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

That looks like poo poo.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Okay I JUST started listening to this spooky spacey primal yet alien sounding occult influenced stuff this week and I can't get enough of it. Particularly Mitochondrion. What other bands should I try out? Deathspell Omega and Ufomammut to a lesser degree both give me the same feeling. I love the dense atmospheres these bands conjure.

Bands at least somewhat akin to Mitochondrion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vyw_FGIhAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQlHHEde-ho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn_-zcoNPtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQeZaBVRXpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D03gQU1hO0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DgPGkk4HNA (their older stuff is not as atmosphere-focused)

Oh and for the Deathspell Omega angle, here's something that sounds a bit like them mixed with Gaza/Converge-style hardcore, but much angrier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybo-sfbEMYs

another edit - not quite in the same vein, but you might like Ved Buens Ende, the band that eventually became Virus. Progressive/black metal with great drumming and audible bass, not alien/occult-sounding but definitely strange.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVOASknimeA

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

A human heart posted:

That looks like poo poo.

Put down the mirror lol