Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Got to spend a bit more time with Borderlands the Presequel and my opinion of it improved a lot. Once you get used to the jumping and boosting the game starts to click. The level design is better if you're the exploring type - there are a lot more hidden chests and even a few alternate routes if you have the eye for it.

Also, Nisha is a great Mordecai throwback and brings back my preferred revolver playstyle from BL1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tezzeract posted:

Got to spend a bit more time with Borderlands the Presequel and my opinion of it improved a lot. Once you get used to the jumping and boosting the game starts to click. The level design is better if you're the exploring type - there are a lot more hidden chests and even a few alternate routes if you have the eye for it.

I can never take anything you say seriously because of your love for MMOs.

...and my extreme dislike of them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Tezzeract posted:

Also, Nisha is a great Mordecai throwback and brings back my preferred revolver playstyle from BL1.

Well poo poo, just what I actually wanted to hear. I spent a lot of time happily going through nooks and crannies for extra cash and ammo, just because it was fun to do so.

However, this also lends towards me playing solo, which most people will argue is a poor way to play Borderlands in general. :smith:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

So hey, it looks like Dark Souls is finally ditching GFWL, it just got achievements: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/211420/achievements
I didn't like DS2 so this is great news for me, I think I might 100% the thing.

On one hand, it's about time.

But on the other, goodbye hatemail and lovemail. The messaging was one thing GFWL got right.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Morter posted:

Has anyone figured out a consistent to run smoothly yet? I run a very midrange computer with 8 gigs of RAM and a Radeon 7850HD or something, and most modern games play relatively smoothly at Ultra or High settings, including the recent Shadow of Mordor.

However, this game constantly stutters at under 20 FPS, even with the DSFix, so I haven't tried it since earlier this year. Have there been any major updates?

In dsfix.ini, unlock FPS and set the FPS cap to 30. Bizarrely that gave me a rock solid 30fps.

Best place to check if this works is the Hellkite bridge, without the fix I drop to 20fps whenever it flames the bridge, with it I never get a FPS drop.

Note: Unlocking FPS causes a weird bug at bonfires where you can't get your character to stand back up. To avoid, make sure you wait til the initial fog cloud disappears before trying to exit the bonfire.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

So hey, it looks like Dark Souls is finally ditching GFWL, it just got achievements: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/211420/achievements

I was just about to replay this and the prospect of little digital pop-ups when I do something makes me a lot happier than it should. I'm easily amused.

Hopefully the possible switch from GFWL makes the multiplayer not such a clusterfuck. I think I mainly solo'd the game since summons and such were so spotty.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Drifter posted:

I can never take anything you say seriously because of your love for MMOs.

...and my extreme dislike of them.

It's decent with friends?

Morter posted:

However, this also lends towards me playing solo, which most people will argue is a poor way to play Borderlands in general. :smith:

It's still good in a group, just hope that most of the group is ok with getting lost from time to time. There are a lot of instant death pits in this one so you have to plan your jumps. The beginning of the game throws you into the deep end of the frustrating platform segments, which is what Kragger and I found out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tezzeract posted:

It's decent with friends?

Where do I download this 'friends' DLC?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Terminally Bored posted:

After spending like 200h on Dark Souls 2, this sounds like a great excuse to replay :darksouls: :shepface:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Terminally Bored posted:

Only negative thing: To 100% you have to defeat Crossbreed Priscilla. You are a heartless bastard if you do that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'd just like to say that on the topic of Paranautical Activity that was brought up last page, seeing as it just came out of EA today, I gave it another shot. They've improved the pace of the game, made enemies drop more armor and coins, added better enemy variety, etc, but the winning strategy is still "get all the things that make you go faster otherwise you'll be too slow to avoid anything" the soundtrack has actually gotten way worse and the game still looks atrocious visually with a boring color palette that causes a lot of enemies to blend in with the rest of the room and make the game look like an ugly mess when you start moving around, and now they've added dark floors where it's loving impossible to see anything that isn't glowing. This makes the new landshark enemies way worse, since it's harder to see their glowy red eyes compared to the other enemies.

In short, it's still a pretty terrible game with an awful visual style, some of the things they've added actually make it worse, it's still not worth more than a buck.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If they can somehow import the near-instant fail/connect network systems from DS2 I'd be so happy. The worst part of MP in DS1 is waiting for a solid four or five minutes while it decides whether it found someone or not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Terminally Bored posted:

Oh good, the 10 bucks I paid for it won't go to waste after all

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sivek posted:

I was just about to replay this and the prospect of little digital pop-ups when I do something makes me a lot happier than it should. I'm easily amused.

Hopefully the possible switch from GFWL makes the multiplayer not such a clusterfuck. I think I mainly solo'd the game since summons and such were so spotty.

I don't believe achievements is necessarily a precursor to a complete switchover to Steamworks because I think you can have Steam achievements at the same time as GFWL. Still would be nice.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

ymgve posted:

Only negative thing: To 100% you have to defeat Crossbreed Priscilla. You are a heartless bastard if you do that.
She is 100% primo furry material, ergo she needs to be culled. :black101:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

ymgve posted:

If you take time to get into DS lore, then half of the bosses will appear pretty much innocent and just minding their own business until the player came along.

Still killed Priscilla, though. I'm an rear end in a top hat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Priscilla is one of the few that actually DOES mind her own business. Most of the other ones run straight at you and try to eat/crush/stab/otherwise destroy you. :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Priscilla is one of the few that actually DOES mind her own business. Most of the other ones run straight at you and try to eat/crush/stab/otherwise destroy you. :v:
She is a lying sack of poo poo though. :v: "This land is peaceful, It's inhabitants kind"
Not really lady!

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Most Dark Souls bosses get a pretty raw deal. Hey guy(s), just stay in this room for the rest of eternity and maybe kill anyone who enters, also you're probably going to go insane from the wait. See ya!

It doesn't help that Terminally Bored is correct and you are basically the Nathan Drake of Lordran.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

She is a lying sack of poo poo though. :v: "This land is peaceful, It's inhabitants kind"
Not really lady!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD8xLYHyCAc

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tezzeract posted:

It's still good in a group, just hope that most of the group is ok with getting lost from time to time. There are a lot of instant death pits in this one so you have to plan your jumps. The beginning of the game throws you into the deep end of the frustrating platform segments, which is what Kragger and I found out.

Going to agree with this. We've gotten a lot further and it's definitely not as bad as my initial+ impression was. Stingray is rather fun. Level design still leaves some to be desired, by a lot, though there's some cool places and there were a lot of places in BL2 that sucked too. Some of the quests are funny but some are just ugh, like Donate 50 White Items. Who the hell saves up that many white items? It requires like 6+ (backtracking) trips to finish by yourself (or 3+ with a friend) and that means you're hoarding whites the entire time. In general, there's a lot more backtracking than there was in BL2 which shows lazy design.

It still has horrible problems with loot, chests are almost universally garbage (and the nice chests are rare). I think im going to run CE next time I load up a co-op game, is there a CE table for this game that people have used yet?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 20, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I never did really bother with Dark Souls achievements, but I did platinum the OG Demon's Souls.

Helps that I got incredibly lucky outplayed the game and got that ultra-rare Pure Bladestone drop on my third try (from... one of those black dual-katana skeletons I think?) while some people grinded for it for days on end. Suckers. :smug:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Zedd posted:

Not really lady!

She didn't force you into the painting you jerk!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Xaris posted:

Going to agree with this. We've gotten a lot further and it's definitely not as bad as my initial+ impression was. Stingray is rather fun. Level design still leaves some to be desired, by a lot, though there's some cool places and there were a lot of places in BL2 that sucked too. Some of the quests are funny but some are just ugh, like Donate 50 White Items. Who the hell saves up that many white items? It requires like 6+ (backtracking) trips to finish by yourself (or 3+ with a friend) and that means you're hoarding whites the entire time. In general, there's a lot more backtracking than there was in BL2 which shows lazy design.

It still has horrible problems with loot, chests are almost universally garbage (and the nice chests are rare). I think im going to run CE next time I load up a co-op game, is there a CE table for this game that people have used yet?

Yup. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_f11g1DlLhDc2RvVEhpZ2cyNmM&usp=sharing

I run my co-op game with an enhanced drop rate, way more fun.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Gratzi. That still works over MP right?

E: It actually feels like Loot is worse than BL2 if that is even possible. I seriously don't know what they did but its dumb.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Xaris posted:

Gratzi. That still works over MP right?

E: It actually feels like Loot is worse than BL2 if that is even possible. I seriously don't know what they did but its dumb.

As long as you're the host.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Oh no IndieGala. Oh no.

E: The Playing History game is the same series as that Slave Tetris game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

E: The Playing History game is the same series as that Slave Tetris game.
Oh, look, this one has Mass Grave Tetris, just like Monty Python The Quest for the Holy Grail game.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

"Contrast" is too classy and refined of a game taste , I feel bad for taking such cheap shots .

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Zedd posted:

Not really lady!

Seriously one of the best, most suspension-of-disbelief preserving things about the Souls series is how utterly loving insane literally every inhabitant in the universe is, and wondering what it must be like inside those batshit, labyrinthine minds of theirs.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 20, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
For anyone that wants either Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition ($4.99). or Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection ($2.49), they are on sale for 75% off on GMG.
If you want them both in a bundle, you'll have to pay an extra $0.01 though, as it costs $7.49. I guess they have to charge more to digitally bundle them.
http://www.greenmangaming.com/deal-of-the-day/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is the same game world that has a talking cat that is the proud leader of a cat covenant that guards a forest containing the grave of a master swordsman whose giant pet wolf guards it for all eternity by carrying his sword in its mouth. I don't think Dark Souls even wanted to pretend to make any sense.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I gave the Pre-Sequel another chance, and in the span of an hour i had one quest item glitch into a wall, a quest-related enemy glitch beneath the floor, an NPC freeze up instead of opening the door he was supposed to, and then ANOTHER quest enemy glitch into the floor.

I don't think anyone playtested this game. I can't say i blame them though, i don't want to play it either.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Borderlands: The Pre Sequel is basically the worst game I'm ever going to spend 300 hours playing. That is how I would describe it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Does the Borderlands pre-sequel have the dictionary definition of the worst bullet sponges of all time like Borderlands 2 did?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
How do you find the oxygen mechanic? I heard it basically stops you exploring much

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ImPureAwesome posted:

How do you find the oxygen mechanic? I heard it basically stops you exploring much

It's a non issue. Every single enemy drops O2 canisters, and there's plenty of spots to regen oxygen if you happen to be exploring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Terminally Bored posted:

Any idea whether it will retroactively apply achievements? I'm guessing not, which is good and bad. Good because it gives me an excuse to play the game all over again. Bad because there's a bunch of other games that I should be playing.... but achievements!

Oh God I'll have to kill Smough and Ornstein again :ohdear:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

It's a non issue. Every single enemy drops O2 canisters, and there's plenty of spots to regen oxygen if you happen to be exploring.

If anything, it adds to the fun if one person is playing Claptrap in a co-op game because they get to be all smug about not needing oxygen like the rest of us.

Sidenote, door kickers is pretty awesome. Very Frozen Synapse-ish, only real-time pausable with actual campaigns where your mans level up and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Yeah. I played a bit at a friends place and while I didn't like the vast majority of what I played, oxygen was a non-issue.

• Locked thread