Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shifty Pony posted:

It's all a balance. Any news org worth its salt will want to see the actual document so they can verify it isn't a fake and that they aren't being hosed with. They will likely be understanding if you are reluctant to give it to them but that means they will have to verify it more throughly via other sources which could up the danger of you being outed.

I'm not sure if the Canary Trap method of slightly modifying the wording of documents is used for anything but actual sting operations. In important documents a lot of work goes into choosing the right wording to convey exactly the intended meaning and prevent misinterpretations, and some sort of automatic rewording would completely ruin that.

The real lesson here is "Don't leak to the Intercept or really any organization involving Glenn Greenwald". Likewise Wikileaks has been known to no give a gently caress who gets burned by their releases.

If anyone here still has impostor syndrome over their career, hobbies, passions, whatever, just remember: you're not as bad as these fuckheads and they somehow still have jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Boon posted:

The Intercept hosed up.

So did the leaker by even leaking that document. I REALLY don't want that to be lost here. There is a difference between whistleblowing and straight up leaking classified intel.

There is, and The Intercept did gently caress up really bad. But this isn't really giving much of anything away. It's just confirmation of what we knew. Even in the doc, there are redactions of all involved foreign parties and the US parties are listed like "US email number one"

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

He's going to start a war through bumbling incompetence

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

The real lesson here is "Don't leak to the Intercept or really any organization involving Glenn Greenwald". Likewise Wikileaks has been known to no give a gently caress who gets burned by their releases.

It's not that they are incompetent, its that they are being funded by and loyal to the same foreign power as the current administration.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Yes, Donald. You're going to end all the terrorisms.

Here's your steak and ketchup, go play in the corner.

E: God, I want his 2020 opponent to keep referring to him as "Donald".

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Good to see believers in radical transparency applying that to their own sources.

Also, great news that Trump is actively encouraging the Saudis to deal with Qatar. Far be it from the US to avoid escalating tensions between two allies.

If there was anyone left at DOS they'd be crying right now.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Note that his administration and top diplomats had no idea about Saudi Arabia going for Qatar's jugular according to a Reuter's article posted yesterday.

IRAN BAD, WAHABISM GOOD

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
History books will talk of the tweet that started WWIII

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Alter Ego posted:

Yes, Donald. You're going to end all the terrorisms.

Here's your steak and ketchup, go play in the corner.

E: God, I want his 2020 opponent to keep referring to him as "Donald".

I mean - Hillary did this.

Goddammit, why couldn't the last debate have been one week before the election

Caufman
May 7, 2007
As far as I know, NATO has never been at war with Sunni Islamist terrorists. We have always been at war with Shiite Islamist terrorists.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

History books will talk of the tweet that started WWIII

Ha, there wont be books after that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

I mean - Hillary did this.

Goddammit, why couldn't the last debate have been one week before the election

Why do you think that would've changed anything?

HappyHippo posted:

He's going to start a war through bumbling incompetence

I'm pretty sure that world leaders don't take anything he says seriously.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I'm pretty sure that world leaders don't take anything he says seriously.

Saudi Arabia seems to think they have the go ahead

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

Why do you think that would've changed anything?
Because him going almost radio silent for ~3 weeks let his favorables recover, allowing for HER EMAILS to become the dominant story for several weeks, even before the Comey letter?

The debates hurt him consistently because people had to stare in the face of how much of a moron he was.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What is going on with his neck/chin

http://imgur.com/a/7vTNw

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

repeating posted:

But this isn't really giving much of anything away. It's just confirmation of what we knew. Even in the doc, there are redactions of all involved foreign parties and the US parties are listed like "US email number one"

Then why leak It?

Also, apparently the redactions were made at the behest of the DNA after The Intercept reached out to confirm details of the story.

Also shut the gently caress up mcmagic. You'd simultaneously and rightfully state that Russia doesn't have our best interests in mind while stating some mealy mouthed bullshit about overclassification to defend your lack of understanding on leaks and the Intel community. Grow up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boon posted:

The Intercept hosed up.

So did the leaker by even leaking that document. I REALLY don't want that to be lost here. There is a difference between whistleblowing and straight up leaking classified intel.

How so? It seems like information the public deserves.

I mean, if the Piss Tape exists and is classified, leaking it would be moral, even if not legal.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 6, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

This is the closest I can imagine to the "Gas Prices" lever being real and Trump smashing it past high all the way to Fuel Crisis. Pretty excited for a couple years from now when every national park is a wasteland of exploratory drilling.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The public doesn't have an absolute right to all information of the government at any time and it wasnt her decision to make, especially because it's not stemming from a legal or ethical concern.

It's literally the entire point of classification and a civilian led government.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

mango sentinel posted:

This is the closest I can imagine to the "Gas Prices" lever being real and Trump smashing it past high all the way to Fuel Crisis. Pretty excited for a couple years from now when every national park is a wasteland of exploratory drilling.

Wouldn't gas prices shooting back up be a huge boon to Russia? Didn't their crazy petro-state-lite economy crater as much because of the huge drop in oil prices as the sanctions?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hell it will be good for us Canadians too (for some definitions of the word "good") but it's not going to be good for the world, probably.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

Because him going almost radio silent for ~3 weeks let his favorables recover, allowing for HER EMAILS to become the dominant story for several weeks, even before the Comey letter?

The debates hurt him consistently because people had to stare in the face of how much of a moron he was.

And people just forgot what a moron he was because he didn't tweet for a few weeks? I just can't buy into that line of reasoning. His voters knew what they were voting for.

Boon posted:

Then why leak It?

Also, apparently the redactions were made at the behest of the DNA after The Intercept reached out to confirm details of the story.

Also shut the gently caress up mcmagic. You'd simultaneously and rightfully state that Russia doesn't have our best interests in mind while stating some mealy mouthed bullshit about overclassification to defend your lack of understanding on leaks and the Intel community. Grow up.

The IC is a much greater threat to my rights than Russia is. The more we know about what they are doing, the better.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Night10194 posted:

Wouldn't gas prices shooting back up be a huge boon to Russia? Didn't their crazy petro-state-lite economy crater as much because of the huge drop in oil prices as the sanctions?

And spun as good for the US based fracking industry. Of course bad for about every other part of the economy.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Boon posted:

Then why leak It?

As a political layman, it's a nugget of confirmation that bumps it back to the top of the media conversation, and it's a way to combat the propaganda pushed by the admin by using the government's information against it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Boon posted:

The public doesn't have an absolute right to all information of the government at any time and it wasnt her decision to make, especially because it's not stemming from a legal or ethical concern.

It's literally the entire point of classification.

the public doesnt have a right to know if its elections have been tampered with

http://i.imgur.com/SV1Rpez.gifv

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Caufman posted:

As far as I know, NATO has never been at war with Sunni Islamist terrorists. We have always been at war with Shiite Islamist terrorists.

I can't tell if this post is sincere and confused or if it's doubleplusgood.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

The IC is a much greater threat to my rights than Russia is. The more we know about what they are doing, the better.

The fact that you can't parse good and bad in leaks but make sweeping declarations anyway makes you an idiot and a fool.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boon posted:

The public doesn't have an absolute right to all information of the government and it wasnt her decision to make, especially because it's not stemming from a legal or ethical concern.

It's literally the entire point of classification.

Sure it is?

If the Russians successfully hacked the election, Trump's election may be at least morally invalid. Even if this info isn't direct proof, it's evidence that contributes to that thesis.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I don't know that it needed to be in the public domain within a week of it being created. It's an active investigation. However I read through the document and it doesn't strike me as the sort of thing that would compromise sources or methods - it's describing a spearphishing campaign which you can get intel on from investigating the targeted companies - but then again the intercept didn't think the pdf was the sort of thing that would compromise sources either and here we are.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

mcmagic posted:

And people just forgot what a moron he was because he didn't tweet for a few weeks? I just can't buy into that line of reasoning. His voters knew what they were voting for.

People desperately looking for any excuse to vote for the Republican took 3 weeks of radio silence as 'Maybe he's matured and can be Presidential!'

Look at how incredibly loving eager people were to declare he'd Finally Become President and things were normal a couple months ago. It's only the massive parade of incompetence and the fact that whenever he opens his mouth he confirms the worst is true that stops the pundits from going back to Look How Normal And Not Existentially Terrifying Everything Is With Big Boy President.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BiohazrD posted:

It's already been confirmed by the Intel community and there are three ongoing investigations. Or did you conveniently forget that to score points on the D&D forums?

Sure it is?

If the Russians successfully hacked the election, Trump's election may be at least morally invalid. Even if this info isn't direct proof, it's evidence that contributes to that thesis.

That's great dude. Again, there are investigations going on about exactly that.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Night10194 posted:

From what I understand North American shale oil has been murdering oil prices worldwide, paired with a slight decrease in demand. This is obviously terrible for oil states like Russia, yes.

I don't think you're going to see high oil prices for quite a while because of the US' ability to sell shale oil at $50 dollars a barrel.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, pretty much. The difference between Russia and Saudi Arabia is basically climate and nuclear weapons.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Night10194 posted:

People desperately looking for any excuse to vote for the Republican took 3 weeks of radio silence as 'Maybe he's matured and can be Presidential!'

Look at how incredibly loving eager people were to declare he'd Finally Become President and things were normal a couple months ago. It's only the massive parade of incompetence and the fact that whenever he opens his mouth he confirms the worst is true that stops the pundits from going back to Look How Normal And Not Existentially Terrifying Everything Is With Big Boy President.

I just think those people would've found another reason talk themselves into voting for him.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Can we go back to talking about Eve Online spy stuff? It's a lot less stressful.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BiohazrD posted:

I'm pretty sure that this information was released in more general terms already.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

I can't tell if this post is sincere and confused or if it's doubleplusgood.

Sounds like someone hasn't had their chocolate rations!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Here's the entire document the intercept posted if anyone wants to look at it: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3766950-NSA-Report-on-Russia-Spearphishing.html#document/p1

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Trump's poll numbers consistently dropped after every debate. They rebounded closer to the election, in large part because of more negative stories for Clinton, and because of more distance from the most recent negative stories about Trump. Granted, it's tempting to just disregard any and all polling from 2016, but they were within the margin of error, by and large. And since the polls were largely within the margin of error, I see no reason to totally discount the drops after Trump's poor debate performances. If the election had happened a week after the last debate, Trump probably would have lost. (Similarly, if the Access Hollywood tape had dropped a week before the election, Trump probably would have lost.)

We're not really talking about Trump's base here, the people who know everything about him and still love him. We're talking about the voters who might not have been 100% rabid Trumpers, the ones who account for his dropping approval ratings, not the ones who will stand by him no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I woner if Trump knows what CENTCOM is and what country it is in?

I mean, of course he doesn't, but one of his aides has to

• Locked thread