Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spaced God posted:

The gist of it, if you really want deets, is that the source printed out NSA docs on an NSA printer and emailed it from her work email to the Intercept. They posted these scans, forgetting that printers put microdots on everything they print with their serial number etc. So the NSA saw those microdots and also the fact that it was sent from a work email and were like "oh we know exactly who this is"

even if printers didn't do it by default, it would be stupid as gently caress to risk your source's freedom on the assumption the nsa hasn't thought to implement some similar steg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

terrorist ambulance posted:

So the theory of his middle East trip being connected to the Qatar / SA rift is confirmed. On a long enough time line he really is going to confirm absolutely every theory about him by posting proof of them on Twitter
@realdonaldtrump
Prostitutes were peeing on bed, not me! Do not listen to FAKE MSM!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

They revealed enough of the leaked information to their government contacts that it allowed the internal investigation to pinpoint who had given it to them.

they also published the full pdf scan of the documents with the article

giving it to their government contacts just speeded up the process by like four days

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The moral of the story is to leak your Trump secrets to a real news outlet and not a bucket of fuckheads.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BIG HEADLINE posted:

he'll eventually see the Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns blocks out the sun...

I'm fine with this as long as it ends the same way

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

even if printers didn't do it by default, it would be stupid as gently caress to risk your source's freedom on the assumption the nsa hasn't thought to implement some similar steg

If they would have just converted the scan to monochrome and posted it that would have been fine, right?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's great how bad Trump is at the rudimentary practice of being a politician

See, I was afraid that the moment Trump was elected he would morph into a normal suit politician, speaking only through prepared statements created by smart, highly-paid people to be hard to disagree with, and efficiently enacting horrible legislation at a frightening rate.

Instead we're kind of in that "We shouldn't assassinate Hitler because his incompetence is dragging down the nazis" place where if he was gone the world would get worse faster as he's occupying a space a competent fuckhead might fill.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EugeneJ posted:

If they would have just converted the scan to monochrome and posted it that would have been fine, right?

Or I don't know, don't scan it at such a ridiculously high resolution that the 1200 dpi microdots are visible? jfc.

Things were so much easier when they used to just type up a "letter" in Word and say it was from a 1971 typewriter

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Drone posted:

What's up with the current White House counsel, btw? Is he a dyed-in-the-wool Trumpist or is he just another bureaucrat doing a job?

What kind of a splash would it make in the investigation if poo poo got too real even for the WHC and he bailed?

I don't think McGahn is a Trumpist but he is a republican hack. He used to work for Tom DeLay.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Or I don't know, don't scan it at such a ridiculously high resolution that the 1200 dpi microdots are visible? jfc.

Things were so much easier when they used to just type up a "letter" in Word and say it was from a 1971 typewriter

or just publish the words in the doc instead of the actual effing scans

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Or just do what EVERY OTHER loving JOURNALIST DOES and just describe information from the document after verifying the information by read-out to another source. Why would you ever loving post the original in ANY form?

e: Oh and after your publication pushes the original document, make sure to publicly question its validity.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/871832554604818432

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 6, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EugeneJ posted:

it would probably have become more obvious but they might have missed it

the correct thing to do would have been to recreate the documents themselves: OCR it, format everything on a fresh document, remake the graphics, that way any hidden information gets wiped out

JehovahsWetness posted:

Or just do what EVERY OTHER loving JOURNALIST DOES and just describe information from the document after verifying the information by read-out to another source. Why would you ever loving post the original in ANY form?

or that

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think Trump's incompetence has weakened the government much more than any policy he could have enacted. The man simply does not care to do anything productive, even by Republican standards.

The next president is going to have a much more difficult time than Obama did following Bush in restoring credibility abroad

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

JehovahsWetness posted:

:effort:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I think the warrant just says the scan they sent was obviously from a printer copy (as it had a folded crease in it).

Only 6 people printed out that document, and only one of them had subscribed to a podcast from the Intercept from their work computer.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Also make sure to relay important information about your source to the person you're using the verify the content of the document. That'll really help narrow the scope.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
NPR had someone from the intercept on this morning and I'm a little disappointed the host didn't mention/question the circumstances that led to Winner's arrest.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

absolutely, by doing something so stupid that, and i am not exaggerating here, mid-tier alliances in eve online, a spreadsheet simulator, know not to do

they published images of the leaked documents that had steg that the printers automatically added in showing exactly what printer printed it, and when

(also gave those images to the government when asking for comment so the government could arrest the source before the article dropped)

Ugh that is loving horrible.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
a site that built it's reputation off the back of working with Assange is bad, what a surprise

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Javes posted:

NPR had someone from the intercept on this morning and I'm a little disappointed the host didn't mention/question the circumstances that led to Winner's arrest.

That's just Reality

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How does steganography come up in Eve Online

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

nothing in real life will ever be taken as seriously as things done in eve online

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

evilweasel posted:

absolutely, by doing something so stupid that, and i am not exaggerating here, mid-tier alliances in eve online, a spreadsheet simulator, know not to do
Wait, did someone try to send scans of a document to a rival corp in EvE at some point?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

They leave messages for each other in-game, apparently

It's like they found a way to Geocache without leaving their house

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

EugeneJ posted:

They leave messages for each other in-game, apparently

It's like they found a way to Geocache without leaving their house

Ok I guess that makes sense, online dead drops, ok

I was just curious about the mechanics

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It actually came up when a big organization started having leaks in the form of screenshots of forum posts detailing plans and operations that were supposed to be kept secret, so they altered the forum software to add subtle markings to every page that could be used to determine who took a particular screenshot.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Xombie posted:

This will go down as the worst executed conspiracy in American history.

John Oliver's description of it as "Stupid Watergate" becomes more and more apt every day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BattleMaster posted:

It actually came up when a big organization started having leaks in the form of screenshots of forum posts detailing plans and operations that were supposed to be kept secret, so they altered the forum software to add subtle markings to every page that could be used to determine who took a particular screenshot.

Hahaha ok, that makes even more sense. Truly evolution in action.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

not only this but the forum software would replace certain words with synonyms and keep track of what user saw what version of a particular post, so even copy and pasting the text would give you away

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Trasson posted:

John Oliver's description of it as "Stupid Watergate" becomes more and more apt every day.

History repeating as farce.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
EVE is just an incredible sink for human ingenuity, I'm just not sure if it would otherwise be used to the benefit of mankind or to create new malware, and hentai distribution platforms

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

quote:

The original hand-dubbed tapes were distributed by Reznor to various friends with dropouts at certain points so he could know who distributed any copies that might surface. Reznor, commenting in the "Access" section of the NIN website, implied that Gibby Haynes was responsible for the most prominent leak

This has also been a thing with copyrighted video torrents for quite some time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spy catching. Most alliances have steg on their forums to catch leakers. You can't share screenshots of forums as a result without burning your spy.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

goonfleet directors are hurf blurf as gently caress

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

shrike82 posted:

lol i didn't realize scarborough and mika got engaged.

That's what killed Zbignew.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

repeating posted:

Thanks for the tech-y talk. I appreciate that. It comes down to basically "don't ever send the physical document or an image of it or use the exact wording" , yeah?

It's all a balance. Any news org worth its salt will want to see the actual document so they can verify it isn't a fake and that they aren't being hosed with. They will likely be understanding if you are reluctant to give it to them but that means they will have to verify it more throughly via other sources which could up the danger of you being outed.

I'm not sure if the Canary Trap method of slightly modifying the wording of documents is used for anything but actual sting operations. In important documents a lot of work goes into choosing the right wording to convey exactly the intended meaning and prevent misinterpretations, and some sort of automatic rewording would completely ruin that.

The real lesson here is "Don't leak to the Intercept or really any organization involving Glenn Greenwald". Likewise Wikileaks has been known to no give a gently caress who gets burned by their releases.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

goonfleet directors are hurf blurf as gently caress

The best decision I ever made was not to play Eve when my friend started to play and was bugging me to join him.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The Intercept hosed up.

So did the leaker by even leaking that document. I REALLY don't want that to be lost here. There is a difference between whistleblowing and straight up leaking classified intel.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
https://twitter.com/realpresssecbot/status/872085930890338304

https://twitter.com/realpresssecbot/status/872087188841701376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boon posted:

The Intercept hosed up.

So did the leaker by even leaking that document. I REALLY don't want that to be lost here. There is a difference between whistleblowing and straight up leaking classified intel.

I'm much more concerned about over-classification than I am about leaks.

• Locked thread