Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Watched an episode of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Prime (PLOT: fast talking, impossibly clever rich woman loses husband, discovers her calling as a comedian among 1950s bohemians). Can't say I recommend it. It feels very Gilmoresy, except the characters are charmless and I've been over the "love letter to New York/LA and/or performers" sub-genre for a while now, so it felt extremely plodding and self-infatuated. I only finished the first episode out of a sense of duty to Palladino, probably won't bother with a second.

On the other hand, series two of Inside No 9 is up on Hulu and is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mysterious frankie posted:

Watched an episode of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Prime (PLOT: fast talking, impossibly clever rich woman loses husband, discovers her calling as a comedian among 1950s bohemians). Can't say I recommend it. It feels very Gilmoresy, except the characters are charmless and I've been over the "love letter to New York/LA and/or performers" sub-genre for a while now, so it felt extremely plodding and self-infatuated. I only finished the first episode out of a sense of duty to Palladino, probably won't bother with a second.

See, I watched the whole first season and really enjoyed it.

Also, I couldn't figure out why the lead looked so familiar. I eventually looked it up, she played the hooker Rachel Posner. Very different roles!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If you're new to Prime, watch Comrade Detective once you're done with Patriot

then Sneaky Pete, Bosch, Tin Star, and The Tick

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 2, 2017

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

See, I watched the whole first season and really enjoyed it.

Also, I couldn't figure out why the lead looked so familiar. I eventually looked it up, she played the hooker Rachel Posner. Very different roles!

Yeah, super different experiences! I think if I wasn't so tired of this kind of show I would have liked it a lot more. I'm kind of burned out on the aforementioned tropes, so your mileage may vary.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Filthy Hans posted:

If you're new to Prime, watch Comrade Detective once you're done with Patriot

then Sneaky Pete, Bosch, Tin Star, and The Tick

Yes, all of this. Sneaky Pete and Tin Star especially

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Earth Table posted:

The new Netflix documentary, Voyeur , is a story about two egotistical old men jockeying to be the focal point of the movie, and it's insane. Well worth a watch and I believe it just launch today.

Lol this is a pretty good way to describe it.

Gay Telese almost feels like a caricature of journalists.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Watched Gremlins 2 for the first time since I was a kid. It's basically a live action cartoon with puppets. As a kid, you can't really appreciate how self aware this movie is. Hell, they even poke fun at the incredibly tragic and overdramatic story that Phoebe Cates tells in the first movie. I recommend watching it, especially if you haven't seen it in 20+ years.

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Do You Want to See a Dead Body? on YouTube Red is pretty funny. The first episode is up for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48WOIm_Arc

I wish it was available some other way, because I'd probably buy the series if I could just buy it and stream it without signing up for YouTube Red.

The short from Funny or Die with Rob Huebel and Rob Riggle is great also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lISfcNfkXEg

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo Round Planet

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Dark is loving awesome. Do you like mystery stories? Time Travel (this ain't a spoiler, it's the focal point of the entire show)? Creepy as hell cinematography? You'll love this show.

The only real issue is it's dubbed from German and noticeable at times, aside from that it's amazing.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah I'm liking this, so far every time I think it's started slipping it's surprised me. Makes me wish Look Around You was on Netflix, though it probably lives on YouTube somewhere.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Last Dr pepper throw of 2017!!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What’s that

I’ve watched everything else

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Planet Earth footage repurposed by the BBC for a mockumentary Planet Earth.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Planet Earth footage repurposed by the BBC for a mockumentary Planet Earth.

which service is it on

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Netflix

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I was very excited to see Bushwick but holy poo poo that movie was bad. I think someone already compared them to both The Purge sequels which are maybe the closest comparison, but both of those are better movies.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I liked Bushwick lol. I concede that it was dumb and bad but that didn’t stop my enjoyment of it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it isn't good, but it was an entertaining single watch I've already mostly forgotten about.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jolo posted:

The short from Funny or Die with Rob Huebel and Rob Riggle is great also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lISfcNfkXEg

I have a problem where I always get Rob Riggle and Rob Huebel mixed up. This doesn't help.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It really speaks volumes that they committed to the one-shot illusion but couldn't pull off more than a couple actually good shots.

Victoria is still streaming on Netflix, y'all. Or just watch Enter the Void or Irreversible, again. Even the misbegotten Woody Harrelson vanity project Lost in London is a better demonstration of the one-shot. And, of course, there's always Rope.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Zumbo's Just Desserts is ridiculously produced and over the top in a bad way but so bad it's kind of funny. Like a super trashy version of Great British Baking Show/Bake Off. The skill level of the contestants is high and desserts they make really are incredible however.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is some of the dialogue and acting in Mindhunter being so awkward and wooden an intentional thing or is it just what it is on the face?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is some of the dialogue and acting in Mindhunter being so awkward and wooden an intentional thing or is it just what it is on the face?

Is this mainly about the girlfriend?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

OldTennisCourt posted:

Dark is loving awesome.

Yeah, I'm really digging the show. It has a great mood. It's like a modern, expanded Hansel & Gretel with strong overtones of German philosophy. Plus, it fills the Stanger Things niche, while also being much darker.

quote:

The only real issue is it's dubbed from German and noticeable at times, aside from that it's amazing.

You can switch it back to the original German with English captions.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Cithen posted:

You can switch it back to the original German with English captions.

yeah this is the way i am watching it. a funny moment was when they translated a distance, but they also converted it to miles. no faith in american audiences to know what a kilometer is i guess. :)

i only watched the first two eps but i am liking it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Dark also takes the award for one of the most hosed up ways I've seen someone killed in a show in a while

The kids found with their eyes melted off are straight up terrifying. That electric chair thing is scary as gently caress. That entire weird kids room is creepy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7Eob4YFDQ

:chanpop:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

gently caress yeah i just finished this book. can't wait

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Man, I remember way back when this was rumoured for HBO.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

yeah this is the way i am watching it. a funny moment was when they translated a distance, but they also converted it to miles. no faith in american audiences to know what a kilometer is i guess. :)

i only watched the first two eps but i am liking it.

Americans do not know how to use the metric system.

Like obviously some people do but if you ask 90% of Americans about kilometers they won't be able to answer you.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Lycus posted:

Is this mainly about the girlfriend?

Her, and the main younger guy (Holden?). Some of the dialogue sounds like it was read off of cue cards.

Also, Altered Carbon, wonder is they're going to keep the weird sex scenes.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

GonSmithe posted:

Americans do not know how to use the metric system.

Like obviously some people do but if you ask 90% of Americans about kilometers they won't be able to answer you.

americans don't know how to use imperial measurements either. i asked an 18 year old how many inches were in a foot and he didn't know. this was in a 1st year college course too. we dumb.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

We know the mile is BIGGER! Kilometers are Baby Miles for Babies! *exits hooting*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

americans don't know how to use imperial measurements either. i asked an 18 year old how many inches were in a foot and he didn't know. this was in a 1st year college course too. we dumb.

Well, come on. Don't generalize like that.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
It's true, though. I work at a Toyota dealership and none of the other techs under like 50 can convert metric to fractional imperial units. In college the other students in physics courses - even the ones who had memorized the unit conversions - couldn't think about situations described by kinematics problems or whatever in units they could understand spatially without getting a calculator out.

It's just hard get past that level of abstraction unless they're units you use regularly irl like the speed of your car, the size of a nut, square footage of your house, acreage of your property, etc.

Definitely not just Americans, though, we just get poo poo for it because we use imperial units for more stuff than most of the world.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
40 rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So I'm looking through Netflix and I'm blown away by how many original series they've made that I've never even heard of. Like Rob Schneider has a show that's going on two seasons. Are they just buying shows up from other countries and that's why I haven't heard of them before? Shows like Glitch and White Gold for instance.

Governor Conway!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Niwrad posted:

So I'm looking through Netflix and I'm blown away by how many original series they've made that I've never even heard of. Like Rob Schneider has a show that's going on two seasons. Are they just buying shows up from other countries and that's why I haven't heard of them before? Shows like Glitch and White Gold for instance.

They're not even buying the shows, it's just anything they have (presumably exclusive) distribution rights to they count as "original." White Gold, for instance, is a BBC show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Hell I read online that in some countries Better Call Saul is listed as a Netflix Original.