Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Wait, you can steal from NPCs in Star Ocean 2 all Octopath Traveler-like and get broken poo poo early in the game?

Holy gently caress that’s rad how did I not know this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Isn't that the only thing anyone ever talks about?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it makes your party dislike you, so do it during private actions

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MechaX posted:

Wait, you can steal from NPCs in Star Ocean 2 all Octopath Traveler-like and get broken poo poo early in the game?

Holy gently caress that’s rad how did I not know this

You can steal chests that give endgame (or nearly so) weapons. Just be aware that it will probably take a lot of save scumming to get the good stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have only recently begun noticing it (and I blame Dark Souls) but drat am I sick of every part being referred to as Lore and being observed like there's a mystery that should be solved. You're asking too many questions if you're demanding an explanation on how Superman's cells work to produce laser beams, or what muscle you have to flex to cast magic in Final Fantasy 4 or something. Relax. The deeper you dive, the closer you get to midichlorians and S-Cells as an explanation.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 2, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This, too, is Lore.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
spent all day getting two of the endings in lunacid and trying to find all the weapons and magic. this poo poo is insane and you will not find everything without help. great game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the most simple, easy to accomplish post-game ending path in lunacid requires you to scour the final area for items used to repair a sword that has the power to kill death. once you kill death you break the entire cycle of life and death and every enemy in the game becomes unkillable unless you kill them specifically with death's scythe. in order to repair this you have to grind xp on the scythe by wandering around and killing enemies for hours while the spirits of those you've damned to this life and deathless purgatory chase after you and all of your friends have mysteriously vanished from the map. once you finally level the scythe up enough and go to upgrade it you reincarnate death and everything goes back to normal. you do all this to get 10 coins so you can open a portal to another dimension where after crossing through you realize you've lost all physical presence and also by crossing over into this dimension you've brought over a horrific plague that kills all life the end

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, the changes to SO2 really just make it a lot more fun to play. Fast travel, clear markings of PAs, information in general being a lot more clear and available, in general it's just so much more fun to just actually play.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

The Colonel posted:

the most simple, easy to accomplish post-game ending path in lunacid requires you to scour the final area for items used to repair a sword that has the power to kill death. once you kill death you break the entire cycle of life and death and every enemy in the game becomes unkillable unless you kill them specifically with death's scythe. in order to repair this you have to grind xp on the scythe by wandering around and killing enemies for hours while the spirits of those you've damned to this life and deathless purgatory chase after you and all of your friends have mysteriously vanished from the map. once you finally level the scythe up enough and go to upgrade it you reincarnate death and everything goes back to normal. you do all this to get 10 coins so you can open a portal to another dimension where after crossing through you realize you've lost all physical presence and also by crossing over into this dimension you've brought over a horrific plague that kills all life the end

Cruelty Squad did it first

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yes i did also play that game. i also dont care

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
twas just a joke, milord

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if one game doing a neat thing once that was inspired by other weird things meant we had to point that out when every future game that does a similar neat thing that was probably similarly inspired by the same things the world would get real pedantic real fast

Junpei posted:

twas just a joke, milord

unfunny joke!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
both games are good im sure

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
man I love it when stranger of sword city, a dungeon crawler RPG allow you to easily swap out the character portraits so you can have a team of anime idols murder monsters and poo poo!!

im open minded to jokes btw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tired Moritz posted:

both games are good im sure

they are

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
speaking of immersive sims, this deadeye deepfake simulacrum thing is cool. i only played the demo, going to wait for it to on sale.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
to be real when i talk at length about a weird bit in a game i like it's not like, illegal to remark on another game that reminds you of but just flatly going "[x game] did it first" is just kinda obnoxious, like there's not a joke there and it doesn't really breed discussion it just feels annoyingly dismissive. i get you probably didnt mean anything by it but it was a mildly annoying thing to read and did not really contain any humorous value as a statement

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
good: oh yeah i liked it when <x> did that also, it's cool
bad: :actually:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RareAcumen posted:

I have only recently begun noticing it (and I blame Dark Souls) but drat am I sick of every part being referred to as Lore and being observed like there's a mystery that should be solved. You're asking too many questions if you're demanding an explanation on how Superman's cells work to produce laser beams, or what muscle you have to flex to cast magic in Final Fantasy 4 or something. Relax. The deeper you dive, the closer you get to midichlorians and S-Cells as an explanation.

Midichlorians and S-Cells are an interesting analogy to choose for this. Midichlorians were an unasked-for answer to a question that had already been answered numerous times directly on screen in the movies - "How do they tell when someone has force powers?" "They can feel it". S-Cells were an off-the-cuff interview answer to "why can half-saiyans go super saiyan" by Toriyama - an author who routinely writes by the seat of his pants - and were almost immediately forgotten about by everyone a week later.

I think this is a pretty lame way to tell people to stop having fun. It's fun to dive deeper and look for cool details and information about settings that someone loves. Not every author or creator writes with this level of deep analysis intended, but a lot absolutely do - if you're a big, say, Battletech fan, there's hundreds of pages of poo poo to read about political maneuvering and past wars and upheaval and the specific mechanics of how a Battlemech functions. If you've ever read Brandon Sanderson, you know that man will absolutely have an explanation if you ask him what muscle you need to flex to cast magic in the Wheel of Time or whatever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

S-Cells just made me think of Crisis Core. Werent there G and S Cells in that game?

I had no idea S Cells was a DBZ thing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
everyone recommends the brandon sanderson lectures on writing on the internet and you go to the playlist and there are two lectures dedicated on world building. i find this extremely funny. just write a fake wiki nerd.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Getting advice on writing from Sanderson; trying to draw water from the Sahara. Same thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

This game sounds super badass even if the actual grinding sounds a little boring. Kinda wish I bought it on early access but it’s probably still worth the like $16 it is now.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Getting advice on writing from Sanderson; trying to draw water from the Sahara. Same thing.

More like drawing water from an overflowing septic tank

Boy does he have a lot of it to give

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As a professional Lore Expert, I can confirm that lore is bad.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I remember the times when nobody used the word lore anywhere on the internet.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

WaltherFeng posted:

I remember the times when nobody used the word lore anywhere on the internet.

Something something TNG fans on usenet, I can't make this burn work I'm exhausted

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bought Star Ocean 2 because a body has gotta travel and octopath 2 is a bit mediocre but not in the ways I vibe with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

everyone recommends the brandon sanderson lectures on writing on the internet and you go to the playlist and there are two lectures dedicated on world building. i find this extremely funny. just write a fake wiki nerd.
worldbuilding is Cool but what i mean when i say 'worldbuilding' and what western fantasy writers mean when they say worldbuilding are very different

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

good worldbuilding: the npc in wild arms 3 who just tells you random bullshit that has nothing to do with anything every day of the year based on your ps2's real world clock, and some of them are just lame puns and some of them are a story about alien monsters to explain why cows dont exist in this world

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite wordbuilding is minecraft creative mode

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apart from Arc 2, what game fills the Star Ocean 2 niche of being a recommended classic in a series otherwise most people don't give a poo poo about?

ar tonelico 2

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can have up to ten guys, but there are only 8 slots in Star Ocean 2. If I'm looking to get the most out of 2 playthroughs, who's the most boring or annoying out of Celine, Welch, Noel, and Chisato to give the boot at least once?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

You can have up to ten guys, but there are only 8 slots in Star Ocean 2. If I'm looking to get the most out of 2 playthroughs, who's the most boring or annoying out of Celine, Welch, Noel, and Chisato to give the boot at least once?

From the original, Noel by a mile. He's redundant in every way. This may be different in the remake though!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Looper posted:

the hack i'm playing cuts out the entire prologue so it took me a while to notice but, dang the starter town of golden sun 1 is by far the largest and most geographically complex in the game. i suppose that's because it's the only town to really have much action occurring in it but still, struck me as a bit odd. the only town that comes close is the flooded mining town. the layout is cool though

what hack are you playing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Last Celebration posted:

This game sounds super badass even if the actual grinding sounds a little boring. Kinda wish I bought it on early access but it’s probably still worth the like $16 it is now.

tbh you dont actually grind much since you gain xp pretty fast and 99% of that time you're doing it while exploring and looking for new things. the scythe is the only one that really stands out and it's just one of a few alternate ending paths and, one of the worst endings at that and the whole time you're doing it you're doing it while checking out what random poo poo changed around the world for the duration of it

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Noel's gimmick of getting the widest breadth of healing, support, and attack spells but generally being the weakest at all three of them (in a game where the casters are generally considered to be the weakest members of the roster) make him the easiest-to-pass character in the game. He's also the most milquetoast party member you could possibly imagine. That said, there IS a known cheeseball setup using Noel + Bloody Armor to give yourself an nigh-immortal healer, since he's the only character with access to both party healing and the Bloody Armor. Might be worthwhile to pick up on a second or challenge playthrough just to kludge past some late-game hurdles.

Of the others, Welch and Celine are the most underwhelming. Welch is just kinda there and is probably, along with Ernest, the least impressive of the Fighter-types. Celine isn't awful early in the game, but she's probably worth skipping on a Claude playthrough because you're going to get Leon, the game's other attack-focused caster (and in the other releases of SO2, the vastly superior one) later on and the only real point in her favor otherwise is that she can join up at a time where you don't exactly have a lot of other options for party members. Chisato is honestly the most SKIPPABLE of the others simply because of how late she joins the party compared to everyone else, but she's also probably the most unique of the Fighter-type characters, her moveset being a mix of short-range, very fast martial arts and slower, massive area technological weapons. She's basically Better Bowman + Better Precis in one character.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mechanically, it's difficult to say because of system changes. In the original and the PSP version, Chisato was extremely strong, Welch was middling, Celine was poor due to the issues casters had in general, and Noel was possibly the worst character in the game because he was like if you took a weaker Celine and a much weaker Rena and stapled them together.

Story/personality-wise, Celine is a kindly older sister figure wizard with a snarky streak, Chisato is a clumsy but badass investigative reporter who knows martial arts and kills monsters with a taser, tear gas, and cellphone-launched missiles, Welch is an eccentric mascot girl who beats people to death with a cartoon mickey mouse glove on a stick she calls the Handy Stick, and Noel is a dull as dishwater Serious Nature Conservationist Park Ranger, so Noel loses by a country mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've just recruited the big tiddy witch in my Claude playthrough. Did I gently caress up?? 😳