Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
have gotten as close to 100% in lunacid as i can short of not really knowing how to get one of the endings at all, one of the alchemy recipes being changed so none of the online directions for it are correct and farming out the last few weapons being something i'm gonna do a bit later. overall my only complaint about this game is that there's a few annoying bugs but they only impact 100% completion which largely feels like a bunch of goofy extra poo poo rather than something you absolutely have to play to get the most out of the game, all the other endings are totally optional and just for the fun of it while based on what the dev's said the true ending, which is the basic one you get for just beating the game normally, is actually what it says on the tin and most definitive of what they wanted to convey, so if any of that stuff sounds intimidating don't worry about it. the game will probably get all the worst of this stuff patched out with time and you can get around its biggest jank with save editing since the game's structure is pretty open and easily moddable, so for the relatively low price it's being sold at, yeah this is one of the best indie rpgs ever made probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Kanos posted:

Also I crafted all of the extra moves for Precis and Opera in the PS1 version every time I used them in my party. :haw:

EVERY. TIME.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Kanos posted:

Phantasy Star 4 is a pretty strong contender. PS1 and PS2 are both okay games but are very old and rough and most people won't recommend you play them, and PS3 is a disaster.
PS2 has the best story but the worst gameplay. PS1 is surprisingly playable for a JRPG of its age.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, they're not awful games, but I think the PS series fits the bill for the same reason the SO series did in the original post. Both are franchises that have a bunch of okay or bad games and one standout classic that everyone who has played it loves and hypes to the moon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Now it's out.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Shadow Hearts is pretty close. You get the odd person who murmors about Koudelka or Covenant but most of the love for the series starts and stops with the second game.

Mario and Luigi gets the treatment sometimes too, with Bowser's Inside Story and then the rest of the series.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Welp, time to go and explore Expel all over again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

Shadow Hearts is pretty close. You get the odd person who murmors about Koudelka or Covenant but most of the love for the series starts and stops with the second game.

Mario and Luigi gets the treatment sometimes too, with Bowser's Inside Story and then the rest of the series.

Covenant was and is significantly more popular than the first game. Like it's not even an argument. Shadow Hearts was a pretty niche title to the point they were literally giving copies of it away for free when Covenant came out.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
There's also the inverse example with Street Fighter, where all the games are pretty well known except for the first, which is an obscure historical footnote.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Covenant was and is significantly more popular than the first game. Like it's not even an argument.

Yeah this is another Thread Tunnel Vision thing, Covenant being the wacky one makes it way more popular outside of this forum even if that makes it slightly controversial here.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's not like koudelka itself wasn't wacky, you kill a lot of possessed furniture. one of the enemies is just a guy walking on the ceiling who shoots you for all of your health

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kanos posted:

Phantasy Star 4 is a pretty strong contender. PS1 and PS2 are both okay games but are very old and rough and most people won't recommend you play them, and PS3 is a disaster.

i will recommend you play phantasy star 1 because it's an 80s-style shoujo rpg and those are pretty thin on the ground. the gameplay is nothing special but all of the presentation aspects are very strong especially for a master system game

2 is garbo tho

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think there's much worth in determining what "the one game anyone cared about" is because all that's going to boil down to at the end is what game is popular in your particular niche of discussion and that's kind of dull as poo poo and says nothing about the quality or contents of the games being discussed

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star on Switch is very good and playable. Shame that's the only one there with that treatment.

The PS2 Sega Ages 2500 Phantasy Star Generation 2 will always be amusing to me for having a way to get Nei back that's in line with old schoolyard rumors, though. (You need clear data both from the PS2 versions of Phantasy Star AND Phantasy Star II, then you have to see every unique line of dialogue in the game up to AMeDAS, which includes shuffling characters in and out at the proper times to get different lines, repeating encounters and picking But Thou Must "wrong" choices, getting all the Consults you can before advancing plot beats, and making sure to include all the shopkeeps in this.)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Covenant was and is significantly more popular than the first game. Like it's not even an argument. Shadow Hearts was a pretty niche title to the point they were literally giving copies of it away for free when Covenant came out.

they are saying the second one is the best one

edit: oh nevermind I'm the one who can't read. I'm going to attempt to save face by saying that post is dumb for the mario and luigi half instead

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
confused how you can talk about people's response to mario & luigi and skip over superstar saga. i don't think there's any mario rpg series where people like, strictly like one game and hate the rest, there are just some peaks and valleys in both. but like i said, it's not that common to actually get a series where only one game is worth mentioning and literally everything else is garbage, usually the cool games got there by incorporating good ideas from the weaker ones and if you actually dig around you'll find different strengths around the whole pile

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's people who only got into like, fromsoft games with demon's souls or dark souls or elden ring, or only got into armored core with ac6, and what i can say for all of these games is that as much as some people like to erupt into big arguments over what The Good One is and try to put down some of the others, and popularity tends to lean towards newer ones in general, actually playing all of these games i don't think it's really possible to say there's only a select few that have any merit to them and then definitively bad ones that aren't worth anything. dark souls 2 is weird and messy but some people like weird and messy, king's field doesn't have the big flashy third person combat most people like but most of the fundamentals of exploration in fromsoft's modern games survive directly from literally the first goddamn king's field game and if you enjoy that stuff enough you can get a lot of fun out of that ancient piece of poo poo, warts and all. there's arguments over the modern direction of armored core and how it's pivoted away from its roots to appeal to a mainstream audience and that stuff is extra comical to me because armored core vi is a massive pivot back towards what the series was about, before armored core 5. always a mistake to look at massive game series in the context of just "the one game worth caring about" or "the newest one" or whatever

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I don’t really think the Mario and Luigi games fit that criteria since, you know, it’s a series that’s pretty well regarded aside from the remake of the third game that was just kind of a blatant Hail Mary cry for help in retrospect. I mean, if people felt like Superstar Saga was the lightning in a bottle and the rest were just kinda trying and failing to capture that magic it would makes sense, but I think I’m the only one who thinks that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when you try defining discussion of a series by this sort of metric you are just dooming yourself to the truth that, every human being on earth who has an opinion about the thing you're talking about has their own The Good One. i'm very aware of this truth, as someone whose favorite kiryu saga game is yakuza 3

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

The Colonel posted:

there's people who only got into like, fromsoft games with demon's souls or dark souls or elden ring, or only got into armored core with ac6, and what i can say for all of these games is that as much as some people like to erupt into big arguments over what The Good One is and try to put down some of the others, and popularity tends to lean towards newer ones in general, actually playing all of these games i don't think it's really possible to say there's only a select few that have any merit to them and then definitively bad ones that aren't worth anything. dark souls 2 is weird and messy but some people like weird and messy, king's field doesn't have the big flashy third person combat most people like but most of the fundamentals of exploration in fromsoft's modern games survive directly from literally the first goddamn king's field game and if you enjoy that stuff enough you can get a lot of fun out of that ancient piece of poo poo, warts and all. there's arguments over the modern direction of armored core and how it's pivoted away from its roots to appeal to a mainstream audience and that stuff is extra comical to me because armored core vi is a massive pivot back towards what the series was about, before armored core 5. always a mistake to look at massive game series in the context of just "the one game worth caring about" or "the newest one" or whatever

I just beat KF4 last month and was surprised how strict they actually kept to the formula in the souls games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jimlit posted:

I just beat KF4 last month and was surprised how strict they actually kept to the formula in the souls games.

I read a review of King's Field 2 from an old game magazine and this is really funny to read in the context of their current games

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
old fromsoft games rule because every game is either a fundamental pillar of their design philosophy they've experimented with or built on in ways you can directly map to their current output, or it's Kuon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sometimes you get bizarre little branches of game ideas they ended up abandoning and haven't gone back to in a decade, like armored core 5 somehow having a ton of its design concepts rooted in, chromehounds, rather than in any other armored core game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

old fromsoft games rule because every game is either a fundamental pillar of their design philosophy they've experimented with or built on in ways you can directly map to their current output, or it's Kuon

Yeah, there are a few companies like this and I always like it. FromSoft is obvious (even if you don't always see the A-to-C because B was some obscure-rear end Japanese only game.) Platinum Games actually is too, where you can literally trace almost every design element to something from an earlier game or from the Capcom days.

I like those long throughlines of development stuff where you see developers getting more and more comfortable with their niches.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: whoops, wrong thread

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 2, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
we're gonna get lost kingdoms 3 any day now just you wait...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

Angela’s always been the most noteworthy SH character to me because pound for pound she’s probably the most “guilty” of anyone in the original quadrilogy (killed two people, on her way to kill a third, all immediate family) but the game doesn’t condemn or even really call attention to it. her anguish doesn’t stem from her vengeance so much as being another branch of the same root

there’s a nasty streak of christian vindictiveness in the worse SH-alikes that doesn’t allow for that kind of portrayal

probably wanted the horror thread op

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
echo night 4 when....

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

No

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Looper posted:

we're gonna get lost kingdoms 3 any day now just you wait...

I'd preorder that the second it was announced. LK 1 and 2 were some of my all time favorites as a kid

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
I would kill for a new Shadow Tower

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gainsboro posted:

I would kill for a new Shadow Tower
lunacid is inspired by shadow tower and kings field and is pretty good

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

ive been enjoying it but i havent found an m16 yet so juries still out on if it'll beat shadow tower abyss as the best kings field game.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Endorph posted:

I'm currently a couple hours into Lunacid, stuffed 70 levels into INT and feeling pretty overpowered. Only thing that's given me grief so far was the undead knight guy under the castle.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the busted sword hilt that does pathetic damage but if you hit things with it enough to upgrade it it turns out there is no blade for the sword hilt because the sword hilt projects a blade of pure fire

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

echo night owns wtf

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Echo Nights owns and its wild that the third entry is in space.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The only thing I miss from original SO2 is the fact that Killer Moves upgraded with proficiency. You get so much SP, it's trivial to level up a move as soon as you get it. I remember getting so hype when my first move upgraded after like 200 uses or so in the original lol

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 2, 2023

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I don't think "Use arts 200 times to upgrade it" was great, but admittedly when I was playing the demo I assumed arts would have more upgrade levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got a Loot Box from doing one of the challenges that gave me a hilariously OP weapon. I feel like going up to a harder difficulty is basically going to be required with how easy it is to get overgeared even compared to the original.