Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Vincent posted:

Im finishing up AC: Syndicate (yes, I’m way behind on the franchise), and since I got AC Unity for free a couple of months ago, I wanted to ask you guy is if it’s worth playing. I remember that it was a mess of bugs when it came out, plus some micro transaction bullshit. I’d imagine that since it’s been years since it came out, those were ironed out, but since it’s Ubisoft we’re talking about, I’d rather ask.
I never had any issue with bugs when I played it a few years after release, so I think that was patched, and as I recall the MTX stuff is basically like the others where it's just cosmetics.

I'm the one person who likes Unity, and I think it's worth a play if the city and time period interest you (keeping in mind that the story isn't really about the Revolution, but there is a lot of side content that is). Paris is I think one of the best cities in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried playing it a couple of years ago and during the first proper assassination i just fell through the floor out of the world, then i got permanently stuck in a tree, then I uninstalled it

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Syndicate suffered from the same problem as Max Payne 3, for me: the entire game felt like it was the intro.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

mind posting your thoughts on the game when you get a chance? I'm tempted to go back to it over the newest installment just to gently caress around Londo.

Sure! Just finished doing the last memory and started on the Jack The Ripper DLC.

I have absolutely no idea about how London was at the time or it's architecture, but man is this game pretty! Not only the buildings and monuments, but the city feels alive. Every once in a while I'd either find people just taking a family photo, a couple of drunks dancing happily to a banjo or something else. So far, it's my favorite AC city.

Now, plot wise...eh. Like, I don't remember Starrick's (the bad guy) motivation to do "something" (also, it's never clear just what is iit that he would've done to London) only that I must stop him because he's evil (Oh my god he shot his butler just 'cause he got interrupted at the piano!). Like, I've come to expect some bad writing on these games but sheesh...

Evie and Jacob where fun characters, and Evie's relationship with Henry was cute, if a little rushed, but eh, I dug it.

Oh yeah, did this game take some liberties with it's historical characters, especially Marx. I'd half expect him to go "Y'know, maybe capitalism ISN'T as bad".

A solid game and I deffo enjoyed playing it.

Oh! And zipping though london was cool as hell. I hope that mechanic is in the other games (tho I have no idea how they would explain such technology in ancient egypt and greece, so I guess the zip lines aren't there).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
AC: Odyssey

I'm at level 67 and I wanna get to 71 just to hit the next tier of upgrades for my gear. I've hardly leveled up in post game.

I've been tempted to look at the XP boost.

I've been tempted to use custom stories to farm XP.

Goddamn it I'm finally feeling the weight of the grind, specifically because I don't grind and I've been feeling fine, up until I've wanted to kinda optimize or at least pump the numbers of my set.

:negative: help.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm playing Odyssey right now. How the gently caress did my ship teleport from Megaris to Thermopylai when the only water route between them covers all of Greece?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Morter posted:

I'm at level 67 and I wanna get to 71

NG+? Do all the fun quests again, it's better than grinding.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

thehoodie posted:

I'm playing Odyssey right now. How the gently caress did my ship teleport from Megaris to Thermopylai when the only water route between them covers all of Greece?

An Isu did it.

But it might actually have been possible to carry a ship overland across the Isthmus of Corinth. Not teleportation, but it saved having to go around the Peloponnese at least.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
There is a ramp on either side of the landmass for dragging ships out of the water. When you approach it Kass/Alexios comments that is strange to haul a ship out of water.

I can't remember exactly where it was though.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

garycoleisgod posted:

And I rolled my eyes hard at the Isu "Whats really real MAN? Are you sure you're not in a simulation right now? :2bong:"
I would need to go back and watch the cutscenes again (ugh) but I read some of the Isu's comments in Odyssey as 4th wall breaches, ie they were of being in a video game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Morter posted:

I'm at level 67 and I wanna get to 71 just to hit the next tier of upgrades for my gear. I've hardly leveled up in post game.

Goddamn it I'm finally feeling the weight of the grind, specifically because I don't grind and I've been feeling fine, up until I've wanted to kinda optimize or at least pump the numbers of my set.

If you haven’t already, you should be able to get the temporary xp boost as a uplay reward (iirc it’s pretty cheap). It only lasts a short while (like an hour) but you can activate and deactivate it on demand, so it can last you a very long time and give you a sizable xp boost if you only have it on right before big xp dumps.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Morter posted:

Do you have any more side quests to do for xp? If you've somehow run out of story content (there's a lot), maybe consider that you've beaten the game?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Trickyblackjack posted:

Do you have any more side quests to do for xp? If you've somehow run out of story content (there's a lot), maybe consider that you've beaten the game?

I'm working on the First Blade DLC, then i'm going to do the Atlantis DLC.

I'm not out of content but i'd like to get to that next notch of upgrades soon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Morter posted:

I'm working on the First Blade DLC, then i'm going to do the Atlantis DLC.

I'm not out of content but i'd like to get to that next notch of upgrades soon.

But why? You shouldn't need to be that high level to beat the content, so if you're not having fun, don't make it worse by grinding

I had way more than enough quests to max out well before the dlc stuff

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kassad posted:

An Isu did it.

But it might actually have been possible to carry a ship overland across the Isthmus of Corinth. Not teleportation, but it saved having to go around the Peloponnese at least.

I can't believe they didn't put the railroad in the game.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Finished up the last hour of origins after leaving it for a couple of years, and I can't say I feel like I missed much. It's kind of impressive that the game manages to make both a trip to Rome and Caesar's assassination feel a bit underwhelming, but they pull it off.

The final cut scene with Bayek and Aya put a lot of emphasis on them establishing an (assassins) creed, but they don't really specify what it is or what it means other then be vaguely good and kill vaguely bad people, so it felt hard to get overexcited about it.

This might just be the result of coming back after a long period of time though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Origins feels like they (thankfully) kinda forgot about the "origins" part for 2/3 of the game then oops, gotta railroad ~the creed~, it's absolutely the worst part of the game IMO.

Then they elaborate a bit in the mediocre first DLC campaign.

Then you ignore most of it again as you go back to being Bayek protector of Egyptian heritage/afterlife in the 2nd DLC which is amazing, again IMO.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I feel like they are so close to ditching the whole baggage of Assassin's and Templars, creeds and animus guff, but just can't sever the last remaining tendons and let it be free. All of it collectively just holds the whole thing back. I guess Brand Power™ mandates it's got to be there.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

JustaDamnFool posted:

The final cut scene with Bayek and Aya put a lot of emphasis on them establishing an (assassins) creed, but they don't really specify what it is or what it means other then be vaguely good and kill vaguely bad people, so it felt hard to get overexcited about it.

That scene really suffered if you play without subtitles. They're essentially murmuring to each other while the music swells and drowns out all the dialogue*. I thought at first it was a shame because it was the culmination of where their relationship was invariably headed (which I was invested in), but I could also make out the word "creed" being said a bunch and thought eh it's probably for the best that I can't make any of it out.

* Sadly common problem in many games

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Origins is my favourite AssCreed exactly when it's just Bayek's murder trek across Egypt and no meta plot nonsense, although perhaps I'm biased because I'm in love with ancient Egypt. I did like finding the weird ruins though scattered across the map, Bayek's immediate religious fear reaction made that stuff awesome.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

parara posted:

Origins is my favourite AssCreed exactly when it's just Bayek's murder trek across Egypt and no meta plot nonsense, although perhaps I'm biased because I'm in love with ancient Egypt. I did like finding the weird ruins though scattered across the map, Bayek's immediate religious fear reaction made that stuff awesome.

i do like the difference between bayek and alyxios(played as him) when it comes to religion. bayek is mostly a chill religious dude who hates assholes who co-opt his faith or poo poo on it. alyxios is basicaly an athiest/agnostic who has reason to dislike the gods and you can decide how outspoken he is about it.

beat the last blade. it was ok. i genuinely liked alyxios acting as a dad. i think the issues is apart from loving over LGBT folks is that the whole thing is just a rushed version of origins whole thrust and it doesnt work well and alot of the beats feel super rushed and the only thing that makes it work is the voice acting. so should i do the Gods dlc? is it worth playing through?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Gods DLC is pretty good. It's definitely got the best looking parts of the game, and it had some really fun variations to the gameplay you've stuck with thus far, both adding some cool new skills and changing up the way you approach encounters. The story is a low point in my opinion, not quite as actively terrible as First Blade but still pretty loving stupid, and all the Isu are incredibly preachy and annoying. If you're interested in playing more Odyssey then it's absolutely worth playing.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Finally beat Odyssey and all the dlc's. Played on and off since release. gently caress that was a long game. 131 hours, level 84. Enjoyed it but glad to be done.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Deformed Church posted:

Gods DLC is pretty good. It's definitely got the best looking parts of the game, and it had some really fun variations to the gameplay you've stuck with thus far, both adding some cool new skills and changing up the way you approach encounters. The story is a low point in my opinion, not quite as actively terrible as First Blade but still pretty loving stupid, and all the Isu are incredibly preachy and annoying. If you're interested in playing more Odyssey then it's absolutely worth playing.

i'll give it a shot.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Finished AC Syndicate and the Jack The Ripper DLC (the fear mechanic...was there🤷🏻‍♂️), but props on having the protagonist be a middle age woman for a change.

Now I’m a few hours deep into unity and got a bit overwhelmed by the size of Paris (and not having the zip line). It definitely feels clunkier in some ways (movement, combat, speed) but it is definitely prettier than AC Syndicate.

Oh yeah, why oh why did they give Irish and English accents to everyone in France? In the Ezio games at least they had the voice actors do a bit of an Italian accent. I think I might play this with French voices.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Vincent posted:

Finished AC Syndicate and the Jack The Ripper DLC (the fear mechanic...was there🤷🏻‍♂️), but props on having the protagonist be a middle age woman for a change.

Now I’m a few hours deep into unity and got a bit overwhelmed by the size of Paris (and not having the zip line). It definitely feels clunkier in some ways (movement, combat, speed) but it is definitely prettier than AC Syndicate.

Oh yeah, why oh why did they give Irish and English accents to everyone in France? In the Ezio games at least they had the voice actors do a bit of an Italian accent. I think I might play this with French voices.

I just could not get used to the French voice track in Unity for one horrible reason. It's kinda like the FedEx arrow, once I noticed, I couldn't unnotice. Read at your own peril.

All of the lipsynch is still set to the English track, so with subtitles, you can still see them mouthing the English dialogue, and I just could NOT unsee it.

Seriously, how hard would it have been to find some frickin' actors who can do a French accent? It ain't exactly a long-dead dialect here, Ubisoft.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Crappy Jack posted:

I just could not get used to the French voice track in Unity for one horrible reason. It's kinda like the FedEx arrow, once I noticed, I couldn't unnotice. Read at your own peril.

All of the lipsynch is still set to the English track, so with subtitles, you can still see them mouthing the English dialogue, and I just could NOT unsee it.

Seriously, how hard would it have been to find some frickin' actors who can do a French accent? It ain't exactly a long-dead dialect here, Ubisoft.

Pretty sure they had software in the 90s that could ape that by just opening the mouth when noises were made... :shrug:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Morter posted:

I’ve started playing this and seeing that there is at least 71 levels is very concerning to me

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

littleorv posted:

I’ve started playing this and seeing that there is at least 71 levels is very concerning to me

max level used to be 50, but they upped it to 70, and then 99 (i think) in post release patches

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

To be fair, you never NEED to be high level, but getting more skills not only helps you out, but at post-game levels, specifically 61, 71, 81, etc, the statistical tiers of your gear level up, too. So like my daggers with +18% assassin damage will get +20% assassin damage when I get to 71, but grinding each level is a gently caress, and I'm three levels away. So that post isn't super important, I was just being weak. :sweatdrop:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really like the desert hallucinations. It's weird that they went much less supernatural in Odyssey.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The DLC for assassin's creed odyssey is both really good and really bad, I think Odyssey is the best Assassin's creed though hands down, I tried to do Origins, and I couldn't make it past Alexandria.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Odyssey finally clicked for me the other day. Really enjoying running around Ancient Greece and killing dudes

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I love Odyssey and have been playing it a ton the past week but I’ll always get caught up on 3 things:

1. how some of the missions/dialogue feel incoherent, like when random side missions spawn in a zone but talk about the story but are in the wrong zone or talk about something that hasn’t actually happened. Also some of the main story or yellow side quests feel weirdly staggered or out of place sometimes.

2. That the world is probably 1/3 too big. I don’t mean the pure scale of Greece so much as like you can cut a third of the terrain and random caves or camps and the game would lose literally nothing. I hope with Valhalla they tighten up the experience a bit in that regard. At least one fix would be to make sure there’s more small dirt roads to these objectives and they aren’t just like in the middle of the woods or on top of a mountain so much.

3. The pacing could use some work in that you are often given like 4 things to do but finishing 3 will often cut off the fourth and/or everything is presented as time sensitive (it’s not, but it feels like it). This is kind of a personal OCD thing for a lot of open world games but it’s pretty abrupt in a lot of places in Odyssey.

Mind you these aren’t show stopping complaints just my take on things. Game still good.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 8, 2020

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One thing I really love about Odyssey is this sense of... I don't know how to really phrase it, ambient mythology? One of the very first things you do is visit the (supposed) palace of the Odysseus, a little later you stumble across the skeleton of an impossibly giant snake. It's clear that this is not just regular old history, that there's (almost) definitely something bigger going on. But at the same time it's often kind of cheeky about actually showing anything clearly fantastical. You meet a supposed witch called Circe surrounded by pigs and the belongings of many a traveller. Is she the actual witch who turned all the visitors into pigs, or just a serial killer with a proclivity for bacon? Is this giant stag with golden antlers just a real weird mutation, or was it actually put there by Artemis?

This ambivalence actually makes for a really interesting mix. It's not an outright high-fantasy world where Satyrs are hopping around every tree. But it's a world where it feels like you conceivably could meet one if you go deep enough into the forest. And that actually works to make me much more curious about finding out what there is to find, and makes it more rewarding in those rare instances when you actually do find something genuinely mythological.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Mazz posted:

2. That the world is probably 1/3 too big. I don’t mean the pure scale of Greece so much as like you can cut a third of the terrain and random caves or camps and the game would lose literally nothing. I hope with Valhalla they tighten up the experience a bit in that regard. At least one fix would be to make sure there’s more small dirt roads to these objectives and they aren’t just like in the middle of the woods or on top of a mountain so much.

My theory is that there is so much inconvenient terrain to make the town's and cities feel further apart. Most stuff would only take a minute or two to gallop to on a horse if the terrain was flat and you could just go directly towards it. There are very few places where you can go for more than a few hundred metres without the terrain getting in the way.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Greek islands are almost all really hilly irl though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I walked up a lot of steps to a fort on one once

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Wonder if it is a coincidence they didn’t include the best horse-riding region of Greece, and also more relevant to the period than some of the included islands and mainland areas. Talking ofc about Thessaly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Morter posted:

If you can get custom stories that means you have it on PC right? Just load up cheat engine. gently caress grinding.