Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Also the keen kitchen knife was changed from boosting cooking success rates to giving you a 30% chance of not using up an ingredient when cooking, making it even more valuable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Machinist skill lets you straight up create the key items needed to enhance crafting, all for free.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Machinist skill lets you straight up create the key items needed to enhance crafting, all for free.

Yeah but you can get a kitchen knife before you have access to the kits you need for machining (via theft)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did anyone here play Monster Menu? Came out like a year ago from NISA. Was hoping for a PC port but it seems nothing came of it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Was that the one that - no wait, that was Little Dragon Cafe, never mind.

never heard of monster menu

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Good game.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Managed to kill the true last boss on Universe. At that point, the game feels almost unplayable without bloody armor cheese. I'm not even sure how you would tackle some of these battles without cheese.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I gotta imagine the hardest difficulty is designed around you cheesing things as well? So it makes sense how it'd be kinda required

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Well, the main game in Universe absolutely requires you to know how exactly what items etc. to make to be "OP". It feels like it would be cheese on the lower difficulty levels, but you absolutely need it on Universe, and you will still die. Sometimes from things that you can kill in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds.

Bloody Armor cheese is ACTUAL cheese though. You literally equip Bloody Armor, anti-status gear, and life leach on Clade and push your attack button for x minutes straight while nothing ever does even a single point of damage to you. I don't think they balanced the game around being ACTUALLY invincible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i remember my fights with freya and lenneth in SO3 mostly revolved around toying with the crafting system until they couldn't actually hurt the party, or at least mirage

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there any posts that have good advice for how to break the crafting/skill system in Star Ocean 2 Remake? I'm struggling with some of the difficulty spikes that sometimes occur.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I said come in! posted:

Are there any posts that have good advice for how to break the crafting/skill system in Star Ocean 2 Remake? I'm struggling with some of the difficulty spikes that sometimes occur.

Always do 10 points in determination on all characters first for skills.

Super early game, save scum goodie boxes and or benevolent cards for good equipment.

Midgame, make sure you face Dias in the tournament and get the Deadly Edge from a PA event afterwards. Use alchemy to get infinite ores, better to raise the skills for it on someone who is less dependent on weapons and won't need customize. Use ores to custom the best weapons for each character and blacksmithing to get star gear/various armors and accessories. Use remake to add good factors to anything that doesn't have a + (it's random, save scum if you need to but you can just dupe materials with replicate). All these things can break the first half of the game, but really will just keep you on par with the second half, especially on Universe.

You can use contraband to level to 100 quick if you really want to break most of the main game.

You can make bloody armor with blacksmithing, and remake a weapon til you get 20% life leech if you want to be actually invincible.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

BabyRyoga posted:

Managed to kill the true last boss on Universe. At that point, the game feels almost unplayable without bloody armor cheese. I'm not even sure how you would tackle some of these battles without cheese.

Do you still have Training on.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TurnipFritter posted:

Do you still have Training on.

Naw, nor did I have an EXP gain formation active.

I don't know if you are expected to level to 255 before you even begin to attempt the maze, but that might be the expectation with the re-balancing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

this image made me think there was something on my monitor

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
New!Claude's portrait does have something of a gormless expression.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean the red dot

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just remembered how the plot of Persona 5 barely works at all, because a 100 hour game really doesn't benefit from a framing-device constantly butting in.

The "Gotcha" twist doesn't land when whatever foreshadowing the game has is spread over dozens of samey hours, full of repeated cutscenes.

loving pancakes.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

Well, the main game in Universe absolutely requires you to know how exactly what items etc. to make to be "OP". It feels like it would be cheese on the lower difficulty levels, but you absolutely need it on Universe, and you will still die. Sometimes from things that you can kill in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds.

Bloody Armor cheese is ACTUAL cheese though. You literally equip Bloody Armor, anti-status gear, and life leach on Clade and push your attack button for x minutes straight while nothing ever does even a single point of damage to you. I don't think they balanced the game around being ACTUALLY invincible.

Oh dang, yeah that's probably a bit more than they intended!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Persona 4 is better than persona 5

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this piss is better than this poo poo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

having played both more or less back to back persona 4 tells a much more coherent story with better pacing (which is saying a lot because persona 4 doesnt have particularly good pacing) but gameplay wise 5 is waaaaay more enjoyable

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oh, 5 Royal has fantastic gameplay, except for the dreadful Okumura chapter.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Just remembered how the plot of Persona 5 barely works at all, because a 100 hour game really doesn't benefit from a framing-device constantly butting in.

The "Gotcha" twist doesn't land when whatever foreshadowing the game has is spread over dozens of samey hours, full of repeated cutscenes.

loving pancakes.

Uh. No actually that twist is one of the few things that work lol. I think that's a "you" problem

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh dang, yeah that's probably a bit more than they intended!

Bloody Armor was completely broken in the original release, too. It's always been basically an embedded cheat code.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well... which twist do they mean. the igor stuff is cool but the akechi stuff is a little lol. i dont care if somethings pretty obvious but the akechi stuff was so signposted it felt like i was watching an episode of pokemon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the twist with akechi is more that the thieves knew it all along, rather than him being the traitor which was the most obvious thing ever

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the actual twist in persona 5 is that the group knew akechi was a traitor the whole time

it's a bit ham-handed in the execution though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the issue is its meant to make them look clever but its so obvious they just look like morons for thinking it makes them look smart

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the trick with the interrogation room was kind of clever even if it was sort of contrived

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The akechi stuff is funnier because Royal just straight up has him and joker admit to each other they know exactly what's going on like 4 months before he joins the party. It's honestly one of the better bits of character writing for him and joke and the new plot stuff does some fun poo poo with it but the old plot isn't changed so it makes the old plot just seem even dumber

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked the twist.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think persona 5 might have issues with long form storytelling fursonally. hope that's not stepping on any toes

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The twist (Not the intentionally obvious one) doesn't land because the story has to flash back to earlier as an "Aha!" moment. This would work in a 2 hour movie but less so in a 100 hour game, when you've long since forgotten about a throwaway scene in a story full of them. Was the pancakes thing supposed to be funny?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it actually is funny and its in a persona game, so i dont think it was meant to be

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It works whether you remember the scene or don't. I'm happy to roast P5 for any number of reasons but that device seemed fine to me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i kinda don't buy that they'd remember that, but its funny so i'll allow it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I only played P5 once several years ago now but I definitely remember that I picked up on the pancakes line. I thought it was so innocuous that it had to be an honest to god mistake by the writers. But nope, it was super important.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

Bloody Armor was completely broken in the original release, too. It's always been basically an embedded cheat code.

Yeah. It's was the one saving grace of Noel in the original release- he basically let Bloody Armor cheese fly because he and Opera were the only two characters who had access to significant party healing AND could wear the Bloody Armor, and Opera's heal still had a max range in the original release IIRC (it feels MUCH bigger then I remember it being in the remake)

That said, SO2R has done amazing things for casters... in that you can assign them to an Assault slot and get all the upsides of having a spellcaster occasionally throw out a big disruptive spell on command and none of the downsides of having your critical heal stopped by a punch in the face by that monster that slipped by in a critical moment or your healer being the first one to die or having cast times make that Eruption too late to stun the target. Rena with Heal All has been a staple of an Assault Formation slot since I finally got a fifth character and it's frankly the most powerful she's ever felt in SO2 so far. Celene wasn't far behind her, happily chucking out whatever her biggest current spell was roughly once a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People don't tend to remember things about games as well as it is generally assumed. The pancakes thing is something you can obviously pick up on but even if you do it is entirely possible you forgot it several dungeons and about 30 hours of gameplay later. Even then it isn't actually intended to the real twist (I'm pretty sure everyone figured out the traitor's identity before the game came out) but to obsfucate the real twists that came after.

It is genuinely a good case of misdirection because it draws the audience's attention to one thing which makes them less likely to notice other things. For all of P5's writing problems it does a pretty good job of handling the twists. I'd say better than P4 where you will figure out the murderer's identity absurdly early on, especially in Golden where they make it super double + obvious.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 6, 2023