Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I love you all sometimes, you know that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I love the other Marine in the background, holding his hand up as he runs toward the Doom Marine as if to say "WAIT! Save some for me!"

Having a hellishly busy day at "work" but looking forward to ripping and tearing today.

I must have seen that box a hundred times and never noticed the other marine

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Some more Doom Eternal thoughts.

Platforming is a fail. Many moments feel very cheap or otherwise adding a level of padding to a game that should revel in being lean.

Arena encounters are mostly solid, although the game will straight up punish you for getting stuck on complex geometry. I do like how there is always a twist ie electrified floors, lava, aerial focused. It's nice variety

Some enemy encounters feel straight up cheap like getting ambushed by two cacodemons on a small, elevated platform. Conversely some encounters are easily cheesed. With the larger maps, sightlines to enemies are very clear and you can wipe out a revenant or arachnotron from a ways away. Not very Doom-like.

Almost too many combat systems and convoluted ways to upgrade Doom guy, the praetor suit, and weapons.

Genuinely love the game but I think id went a touch too far in adding more depth. It gets a little complicated.

Alternatively, this game is meant to be played on a mouse + kb. A controller does not have the fidelity to keep up with id's vision.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I love you all sometimes, you know that?

You're my favorite german and I don't even have to know you well.

And I say that with half my family of german descent. They're painfully, exceedingly catholic though, and are practically mormons otherwise (no soda, booze, drugs, tobacco, etc).

Is there a region of teetotaler catholic germans or is half my family insane in a tame way? Seriously, it's all saints and dogma with these people. I wouldn't be surprised if there was lineage to Pope Lame-rear end Ratzinger (Benedict 14) in my blood.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Is there a region of teetotaler catholic germans or is half my family insane in a tame way? Seriously, it's all saints and dogma with these people. I wouldn't be surprised if there was lineage to Pope Lame-rear end Ratzinger (Benedict 14) in my blood.

The people that decided to leave europe and get on a lovely boat to come to america were all hosed up in some way

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh I figure as much, I've always just been curious if there was some small region of overly catholic people that live like uptight mormons and have loving litters of children that kneel on broomsticks as punishment for insignificant fuckups. And I mean litters of kids. There's some 80+ grandkids and great grandkids for my grandmother. I have cousins with offensive lines and baseball teams of kids.

I guess someone in the family has to make up for my lack of babymaking.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
DOOM is fuckin awesome thank you so much EBB that was seriously an unbelievable cool move

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I just felt a days worth of stress helping my agency deal with COVID-19 slough away with an ample amount of ripping and tearing. :feelsgood:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Doom Eternal is so much better than Doom 2016. It's not even close

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea Doom 2016 feels like a proof of concept now. Level design was so drab.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's so much depth to the combat now and it's easy to get overwhelmed. Launch a grenade in the cacodemon mouth, shoot off some cannons oh gently caress I need ammo, now armor aaand I'm almost dead. I got stuck at the end of disco king's castle's first level, finally passed it before having to call it a night. Shits super rad, can't wait to rip and tear some more later.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
muffed a grenade throw, bounced right back at me, tried to run, but some guy grabbed me to execute me... and the grenade killed us both.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Tomb Raider (the remake) is free on steam right now if you click a button to get it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The remake was solid back when I first played it. A real breath of fresh air.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

bloops posted:

Yea Doom 2016 feels like a proof of concept now. Level design was so drab.

The combat is better. Everything else is super lazily done and worse

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

EBB posted:

The remake was solid back when I first played it. A real breath of fresh air.

I've really enjoyed the three Tomb Raider reboots, although I kind of view them as a progression of Lara Croft: Chosen of the Blood God more than anything.

What with wading through the pit of blood and bones in the first one, and all the murdering after that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
CoD warzone is kicking my rear end to the point I'm gonna make it hide and seek championship simulator.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The last platforming section before leaving Exultia loving blew. Platforming in this game is loving stupid. Let me kill demons.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Laranzu posted:

The combat is better. Everything else is super lazily done and worse

Yeah its a wierd duality so far, sexy unique levels and great combat flow (Even though I might need to tone it down from UV because I'm not as good at FPS's as I thought). But then they add exposition, and the exploration and jumping puzzles aren't anywhere near as clean as 2016.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I get lost easier in this one than I did 2016.

Also I have to use more of the tools given to you in combat or else I’m always dying or running out of ammo. I don’t remember having to manage ammo very much in 2016.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Rat posted:

I've really enjoyed the three Tomb Raider reboots, although I kind of view them as a progression of Lara Croft: Chosen of the Blood God more than anything.

What with wading through the pit of blood and bones in the first one, and all the murdering after that.

Look, somebody had to be Doomguy's mom...

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Aren’t the new tomb raider games basically snuff films starring the many ways you can kill Lara Croft?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Woofer posted:

Aren’t the new tomb raider games basically snuff films starring the many ways you can kill Lara Croft?

Nah. They’re more in the vein of Uncharted, although not anywhere near the level of those games. 1 and 2 are great. 3 was handled by a different studio who put out a pretty ok game.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

bloops posted:

The last platforming section before leaving Exultia loving blew. Platforming in this game is loving stupid. Let me kill demons.

Nah it was fun. Literal super mario platforming, complete with falling platforms and spinning fire chains. It’s absolutely absurd and I love it

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I enjoyed watching people play it and reading the lore

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Deathy McDeath posted:

Nah it was fun. Literal super mario platforming, complete with falling platforms and spinning fire chains. It’s absolutely absurd and I love it

Deathy how loving dare you not supporting my takes

Betrayal

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I Rip and Tear bad takes

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Woofer posted:

The first one went heavy on game over death cinematics, and they dialled it back noticeably in the second one.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

The first one went heavy on game over death cinematics, and they dialled it back noticeably in the second one.

I might check out the second game then if the first isn’t required. If I wanted the over the top gore I’d play Mortal Kombat.

I’ve gone soft in my 30s :(

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I really need to upgrade ammo slots first, the developers really push you to use your glory kills and gadgets in this game. I forgot I had the chainsaw a lot in 2016, now I'm using it several times in one area.

I just need to git gud

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Woofer posted:

I might check out the second game then if the first isn’t required. If I wanted the over the top gore I’d play Mortal Kombat.

While the death scenes are a bit gruesome, they’re nowhere near to the level of a Mortal Kombat. Not even close.

I would say the first one is required. They’re story-driven games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woofer posted:

No

They’re mainly about exploring neat environments and slaughtering mercenaries

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

Well, at least I wasn't the only person who thought Mario when I saw the chains and fireballs.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Slim Pickens posted:

Yeah I really need to upgrade ammo slots first, the developers really push you to use your glory kills and gadgets in this game. I forgot I had the chainsaw a lot in 2016, now I'm using it several times in one area.

I just need to git gud

They also made the chainsaw have a cool down so you almost always have one use in the tank. Gas cans just add an extra use before cool down.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Woofer posted:

They arent gory, at least one of them I found genuinely unsettling, but it was nothing like the backlash made them out to be.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

They arent gory, at least one of them I found genuinely unsettling, but it was nothing like the backlash made them out to be.

The river thing was hosed up.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

orange juche posted:

The river thing was hosed up.

The river spike and the early one when the main bad guy pulls you out of your hiding place were oooof.

Going ham with the bow and climbing axe are extremely satisfying, though. Like the good parts of the Far Cry games without the garbage tier writing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I spent the last two and a half hours playing warzone with my best buddy while drinking beer and laughing my rear end off.

We spent the majority of our time rebelling against our appointed - and extremely confused - team leader, parachuting to our deaths intentionally, dominating gulag fights, and spray painting our team leader to look like a neon Christmas tree.

I've learned that BR games ultimately aren't for me as long as I'm playing them sober and approaching them with a sense of competitive logic.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I gave up on warzone today after an hour of hide and seek or drop in and die. Went back to loving with state of decay 2. Got one of my more annoying characters killed, which I'm fine with, dude was a bitch. What kind of specialty is loving movie trivia good for when the character is hopeless at learning anything else.

Gonna kill more zombies and collect cars tonight for a few hours. I have a surprising desire to fix all the cars and surround my compound with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I spent the last two and a half hours playing warzone with my best buddy while drinking beer and laughing my rear end off.

We spent the majority of our time rebelling against our appointed - and extremely confused - team leader, parachuting to our deaths intentionally, dominating gulag fights, and spray painting our team leader to look like a neon Christmas tree.

I've learned that BR games ultimately aren't for me as long as I'm playing them sober and approaching them with a sense of competitive logic.

I've been playing solo squads mostly, solo queue isn't very much fun IMO. If you haven't tried it yet, check out plunder, it's like the super chill, no stakes BR mode.

I might hop into Discord later to try to queue up with goons.

In regular CoD news: Cranked is really good y'all. I really like that they keep adding new modes, still wish it had dedicated servers, but I'll take what I can get.