Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
California Politics: Worse than negative rain is rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Dirk the Average posted:

Don't forget the mudslides!

My wife has a comic strip from years ago that showed a newsreporter in California, saying "The good news is the earthquake triggered a mudslide that put out the wildfires."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1086252366041559040

Gavbot good?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Triangulation makes you do good things occasionally

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Whichever one of you is programming Gavin to act this way, just know I appreciate it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Whichever one of you is programming Gavin to act this way, just know I appreciate it.

There was a pretty big password breach recently and I bet someone just combed through and found the login.

Should have used a password manager.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Please. Gavin is a Nexus 5. He can't be so easily hacked, he is simply so advanced that he knows exactly how to blend in with us. You should be more afraid than ever.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/bobbyp89/status/1086338221498351616

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Please. Gavin is a Nexus 5. He can't be so easily hacked, he is simply so advanced that he knows exactly how to blend in with us. You should be more afraid than ever.

If the best survival strategy for replicants is to be more humane people than natural-born humans, then they have more of a right to the world than we do.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Warning: Tears in rain are known to the state of California to cause cancer.

Blade Runner sucks, btw.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

It's ok guys, he's a politician being responsive to the will of his constituents. I know this is unfamiliar territory for some of you, but no need to be so cynical.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Politicians don't care about their constituents or what they want. They care about money and power. Silly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well, no, it's just the process is designed to weed those politicians who actually care about their constituents out.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Sometimes the Republicans are so lovely that the centrist position is genuinely compassionate and seems possibly even radical.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Goddammit goons, just feel good about this already!

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

cheese posted:

Sometimes the Republicans are so lovely that the centrist position is genuinely compassionate and seems possibly even radical.

people working 40+ hours a week will get their still-sub-poverty level means-tested benefits and if the Redumblicans don't like it they can taste my blade

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still don't really get what means tested means, like what happens if you give a poor person (me plz) too much money? They buy too much stuff? Is that bad for the economy somehow?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Turtlicious posted:

I still don't really get what means tested means, like what happens if you give a poor person (me plz) too much money? They buy too much stuff? Is that bad for the economy somehow?

It's about keeping (mostly minority) people from getting more than they :airquote:deserve:airquote:

institutional bigotry raised to the power of just world raised to the power of prosperity gospel

pure Calvinist bullshit

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Turtlicious posted:

"You didn't EARN that money, you leech!" *votes for guy who inherited every dollar in his bank account*

And I guess if you dump a ton of money into the economy it can spike inflation up, but inflation happens anyways so :shrug:

But generally safe to assume that anyone opposing giving poor people money has a whole lot of classist and racist reasons they aren't saying out loud.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s technically the most efficient way to allocate poverty alleviation benefits, by matching need to the benefits given, so you’ll occasionally see well meaning technocratic liberals calling for it. But in practice, yes, the above posters are correct, it very often gets used as a cudgel to keep people from accessing public benefits. And republicans love to add on lots and lots of addditional requirements that require additional administration, rendering moot whatever savings means testing would have delivered anyway.

TLDR: in a perfect world they would make sense, but due to racism\republicans they are for the most part a bad thing.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Turtlicious posted:

like themrguy said, it's supposed to allocate based on need and ability. in its ideal case it'd be set up such that if someone is able to find a job and work that job without undue strain on their financial situation or general well-being (eg, having to move or a stressful and long commute), they would not be eligible to receive support. that's not how it is instituted in practice. it's used as a gate keeping method to refuse services to people that do need them, usually by way of having you show you're applying to like 40 jobs a month and taking training/school/etc.

a negative income tax is a better way to handle this sort of thing imo, along with there being a federal/state clearinghouse for work.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the dems love means testing because they think it'll convince the Moderate Republicans that theyre Tough On Welfare unlike those other democrats and the republicans love means testing because it lets them turn the form to apply for disability into a jim crow literacy test

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's so when you convert that old warehouse into "artist live-work lofts" and the planning commission insists that you offer at least 15% at below-market rates, those 2 units will be rented by the zero-income children of rich people instead of directly by the rich people

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Could it be?!?!

quote:

California to Vote on Partial Repeal of Sweeping Tax Law

It’s often referred to as the “third rail of California politics” — if you touch it you die. But it’s now likely that an effort to significantly roll back Proposition 13, the famed property tax limitation initiative enacted by voters in 1978, will be on the ballot in 2020. And it will likely split the political world right down the middle, with huge stakes for commercial property owners and the state and local governments (and particularly the schools) that rely on property taxes.

Prop 13 capped property taxes at one percent of assessed value at time of acquisition, and limited upward reassessments of property values to 2 percent per year so long as the property didn’t change hands. Over time it has had a profound effect on the entire taxation system in California, and has produced wildly variable property taxes on similar properties, depending on how recently they were built or acquired.

Vigilant longtime homeowners are the backbone of support for Prop 13. But the system treats residential and commercial real estate exactly the same. So for years, left-of-center political advocates and policy wonks have dreamed of a reform that would create a “split roll” approach where commercial properties would lose Prop 13 protections and be treated for tax purposes like real estate in the rest of the country.

Split-roll proponents initially considered a drive to place an initiative on the ballot this year, but decided a presidential-year electorate might be more favorable. They’ve now reportedly collected over 860,000 signatures, far more than the 585,000 necessary for certification.
Removing Prop13 protections from commercial real estate is long, long, long overdue.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/08/california-to-vote-on-partial-repeal-of-sweeping-tax-law.html

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Also: gently caress yeah UTLA with the big win in their strike.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

FMguru posted:

Could it be?!?!
Removing Prop13 protections from commercial real estate is long, long, long overdue.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/08/california-to-vote-on-partial-repeal-of-sweeping-tax-law.html

Is there reason to be concerned this might hurt small businesses that own their property outright? Just wondering how this might get spun by opponents due to Grandma’s house not being at stake.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Probably loss of jobs, driving business out of California, harming the economy overall, etc.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

theyre going to lie and say that grandmas house is at stake

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Shear Modulus posted:

The sad thing is that given how the 2018 general election went it'll probably work.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

maybe you moneybags have a whole house for your grandma, but regular folks like me have to house grandmas by the square foot in our commercial warehouse space.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FMguru posted:

Could it be?!?!

be still my beating heart

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They'll use a slippery-slope argument that prop 13 that protects grandma is "under attack" and also use the "but small businesses/jobs" angle.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

what's next? we increase taxes on the grandma factories, reducing garndma per family below its already abysmal rate? no. you all can pretend to care about the comman family, the jones and veruc de font's, but by support the Industrialized Grandma Relief Act you are condemning us to a world with carbon free grandmas, when we ourselves are made of carbon. it's a death sentence.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

end the congress-created grandmabowl

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

They'll use a slippery-slope argument that prop 13 that protects grandma is "under attack" and also use the "but small businesses/jobs" angle.

Small bussness facebook and google. Just hard working (tax dodgers) like the rest of us.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Disney for certain will plow an obscene amount of money into a smear campaign because IIRC they pay something like 30 cents per square foot in property taxes on Disneyland currently thanks to Prop 13.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

the slippery slope justification may be in the fine print of the voter guide but i expect the headine message will be "WILL PUT GRANDMA OUT ON THE STREET AND MAKE YOUR INHERITANCE WORTHLESS"

when have the big business interests felt the need to justify their baldface lies about what props say? the ads against the dialysis prop and the costa hawkins repeal and for the unpaid overtime for emt props just said they would raise dialysis prices, raise rents, and prevent emts from responding while on break

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Would that apply to apartment complexes too?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

FMguru posted:

Could it be?!?!

Soooooo wouldn't that just be a big incentive for local governments to approve commercial development over residential? I understand why they think they can get it passed, but all of prop 13 needs to go.

FMguru posted:

Also: gently caress yeah UTLA with the big win in their strike.
First read: Big UTLA win.
Second read: Moderate UTLA win. The language on charter schools is pretty toothless and I think the super probably considers it a win that there was no language about charter caps or freezes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Just did a quick read of the proposed prop and it exempts commercial agriculture, the first $500,000 of property used for business purposes and completely exempts any business with less than 50 employees from any property taxes. It also lets businesses with less than $2 million in property holdings statewide continue to be taxed based on price at purchase regardless of any other factors. So the "but the small businesses" argument won't get far (I mean they'll lie anyways but there's a counterargument built into the prop).

A little disappointed it's not more aggressive but I suppose it's an improvement over the status quo.

FCKGW posted:

Would that apply to apartment complexes too?

No, that's residential property.