Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

if what you consider your best picture is one where most of your face is covered

poor paul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
he sounds kind of drunk all the time, I like the guy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Captain Foo posted:

lmao

ayy lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

program666 posted:

he sounds kind of drunk all the time, I like the guy

that mug is just straight up burbon

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

it is a site powered by 100% nerd rage

correct

which is why it was the best site to troll on the internet circa 2000

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
slashdot circa 2000 was just "look at this red hat!" and "let me tell you why m$ is evil"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

slashdot circa 2000-2015 was just "look at this red hat!" and "let me tell you why m$ is evil"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my freshman c++ lectures were 20 min at the start of the rear end in a top hat prof reading some slashdot article plus comments on the projector to the entire lecture hall of 200+

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The Management posted:

the most renewable resource

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

carry on then posted:

i was in 2nd grade in 2000
a little old for slashdot then, i get it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

slashdot circa 2000 was just "look at this red hat!" and "let me tell you why m$ is evil"

you forgot GNAA, ascii goatman, etc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

program666 posted:

is slashdot good again? I stopped reading when every post was about american politics like TSA and whatnot but I'm looking at the headlines and they seem interesting

idk i haven't found any other decent site that fills its niche

though they link to phoronix a lot and that place is a loving cesspit, it's like if Gawker ran a linux site and the dude who runs it is a poo poo-stirring moron

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hobbesmaster posted:

those were just comments about bill "electrocutus of org" gates

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

and here we go

quote:

In the 10-Q filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) last week, Microsoft said that its Phone Hardware division, which is based largely on the Nokia assets acquired last year for approximately $7.9 billion, lost money in the March quarter.

With revenue at $1.4 billion for the period, Microsoft said, cost of revenue exceeded sales by $4 million, meaning the company lost about 12 cents -- even before marketing, R&D and other expenses were factored in -- on each phone sold.

More importantly, Microsoft also warned investors that it may need to write off some of the Nokia acquisition.

"Given its recent performance, the Phone Hardware reporting unit is at an elevated risk of impairment," Microsoft said, using a term to describe the situation when the market value of a business is less than what's carried on the books. In such scenarios, corporations are required to balance accounts by taking a charge against earnings to the tune of the difference.

"Declines in expected future cash flows, reduction in future unit volume growth rates, or an increase in the risk-adjusted discount rate used to estimate the fair value of the Phone Hardware reporting unit may result in a determination that an impairment adjustment is required, resulting in a potentially material charge to earnings [emphasis added]," the company continued.

Ben Thompson, an independent analyst who reported on Microsoft's 10-K statement on Friday, translated the accounting-speak. "A very, very big write-off -— and associated quarterly loss -— is coming soon. What a disaster!" wrote Thompson on his Stratechery.com (subscription required).

Microsoft currently carries $5.46 billion in "goodwill" from the Nokia acquisition on its books, as well as another $4.51 billion in intangible assets. The Redmond, Wash. company had attributed the Nokia goodwill to "increased synergies that are expected to be achieved from the integration of NDS [Nokia Corp.'s Devices and Services business]."

That value may now be greatly overstated, Microsoft acknowledged.
how do you make a small fortune in mobile phones? start with a large fortune

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
'at an elevated risk of impairment'

Can we change the thread subtitle to that?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

note: the last time they included one of these warnings in their 10-q they wrote off 6.3 billion out of the 6.4 they pad for aquantive

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 27, 2015

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the last gift of ballmer

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

i never noticed how weird "Search the web and Windows" is before

search the web, sure, yeah

what does "Search Windows" mean

Shaggar posted:

search your computer.

Pinterest Mom posted:

yes. it should say "Search the web and this PC". "Search Windows" doesn't mean anything.

(that's the current name for My Computer right? "This PC?")

Shaggar posted:

in win 7 is "search programs and files"

in win8 they put "my documents" "my videos" "my pictures" etc under "This PC" which is just great because I always thought it wasn't cluttered with enough poo poo I don't use and can easily find if I want it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

also they're called "documents", "videos", "pictures" but they only show the docs/pics/vids of the currently logged-in user, not all the pictures and videos on the PC

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
where is my briefcase. where is it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Phoenixan posted:

well they did change "my computer" to "this pc"
the computer might not be yours

you might have more than one computer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

pff, nobody has more than one computer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

pff, nobody has more than one computer

in microsoft's defense apple seems to believe the same thing

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

natalie portman hot grits down my pants

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

carry on then posted:

i was in 2nd grade in 2000

lol

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

my freshman c++ lectures were 20 min at the start of the rear end in a top hat prof reading some slashdot article plus comments on the projector to the entire lecture hall of 200+

lol

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

For school I've been playing with Azure's "Recovery Services" which basically provides DR failover for on-premises VMs. Holy poo poo what a goddamn mess.

I needed to download and install two programs on the Hyper-V host: the “Microsoft Azure Site Recovery Provider for Hyper-V” and “Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent”. The “Site Recovery Provider” required me to download a key file from my Azure console and provide it when the wizard asks. Kind of a pain.

The Site Recovery wizard on Azure was terrible. It didn’t walk me through the steps, instead it just provided links to the appropriate functions which would launch wizards of their own. I had to set up a “Hyper-V site”, a storage account, a virtual network, and a protection group, each of which has their own wizard.

Some of the wizards required specific settings. If I chose the wrong settings the wizard would fail and not give me any indication why. I had to browse Microsoft’s documentation to see what the correct settings were. In this case I chose “locally replicated” for the storage container when Recovery Services requires it to be “geo redundant”. That's a more expensive option and I don't need it for my project but welp it's required!

When all of that poo poo is straightened out I go to select a VM for protection only to find out that the service doesn't support Hyper-V generation 2 hardware. You know, the one that was released with Server 2012 which was 3 years ago. That's like a VMWare service only supporting hardware version 7. Of course you can't change the hardware level once the VM has been created so welp I guess I'm creating a new VM.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

and here we go

how do you make a small fortune in mobile phones? start with a large fortune

don't worry, I'm sure Elop is still getting a bonus somehow

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

natalie portman hot grits down my pants

natalie portman, naked and petrified, with hot grits down my pants

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Raere posted:

For school I've been playing with Azure's "Recovery Services" which basically provides DR failover for on-premises VMs. Holy poo poo what a goddamn mess.

I needed to download and install two programs on the Hyper-V host: the “Microsoft Azure Site Recovery Provider for Hyper-V” and “Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent”. The “Site Recovery Provider” required me to download a key file from my Azure console and provide it when the wizard asks. Kind of a pain.

The Site Recovery wizard on Azure was terrible. It didn’t walk me through the steps, instead it just provided links to the appropriate functions which would launch wizards of their own. I had to set up a “Hyper-V site”, a storage account, a virtual network, and a protection group, each of which has their own wizard.

Some of the wizards required specific settings. If I chose the wrong settings the wizard would fail and not give me any indication why. I had to browse Microsoft’s documentation to see what the correct settings were. In this case I chose “locally replicated” for the storage container when Recovery Services requires it to be “geo redundant”. That's a more expensive option and I don't need it for my project but welp it's required!

When all of that poo poo is straightened out I go to select a VM for protection only to find out that the service doesn't support Hyper-V generation 2 hardware. You know, the one that was released with Server 2012 which was 3 years ago. That's like a VMWare service only supporting hardware version 7. Of course you can't change the hardware level once the VM has been created so welp I guess I'm creating a new VM.

I'm looking into this and I kinda understand the need for a lot of security procedures, it's a very sensitive area and it must be complicated as poo poo building something that allows you to set up DR like this by just clicking a simple button.

The VM generation thing is retarded and has no excuse though.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Raere posted:

The azure documentation is amazingly bad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
microsoft owns

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

microsoft owns

well it owns minecraft now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mikkkro$haft is the borg, you insensitive clod

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
does the slashdot effect still happen?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wheany posted:

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

The Management posted:

*looks around*

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wheany posted:

it's called being Fireballed now

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

how does slashdot even exist anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

well, they had a monopoly for a while and even though they completely failed to adapt to the changing times and their audience has dwindled as everybody moved on to new competing solutions, there's still enough inertia left over that they still have paying customers

• Locked thread