Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Hah, I gambled on a store item on Curse of the Blind just now and was so happy it turned out to be the Stop Watch, figured this was my Hard mode-Hush Azazel run.

:sigh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Justin_Brett posted:

Why the gently caress can you run into Rag Man on the first floor?

Or the Haunt.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Or the Haunt.

Haunt really isn't that bad. The ghosts at the start can be a bit tricky but otherwise the haunt is a pushover.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think the stopwatch nerf is that bad. It's effectively now "this room is EZmode if you get hit" instead of "Every room is EZmode." It's even kinda viable on The Lost thanks to HM (unless HM doesn't trigger the effect?)

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

what a piece of poo poo

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I just put in 70 or so coins with Maggie and the chance to jam only raised to 1 from 0. Seems like you can make some significant progress if you don't spend all your coins now!

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think the stopwatch nerf is that bad. It's effectively now "this room is EZmode if you get hit" instead of "Every room is EZmode." It's even kinda viable on The Lost thanks to HM (unless HM doesn't trigger the effect?)

it prevents other on hit triggers so probably

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AnonSpore posted:

Unless you meant "make it so that gold hearts act like soul hearts just for Keeper" which seems like a huge hassle to code in a game where the code is already held together by wishes and farts.

Hey, remember how one of the primary perks of Rebirth being made was that the game could have a clean, solid code base that worked well instead of being a kludged together Flash nightmare?

Gonna laugh if they introduced some random crash bugs again or something. "Better than the last build" isn't really a guarantee where Nicalis is concerned.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

RatHat posted:

Or the Haunt.

At least once you kill the little guys they stay dead. There's a lot of characters who just can't destroy Rag Man's head before it becomes a spider if you don't get some damage that early.

But that's this game in a nutshell, really. Or maybe I'm just mad because I'm on a seven death streak with ???.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ImpAtom posted:

It's even kinda viable on The Lost thanks to HM (unless HM doesn't trigger the effect?)

Hahahahahahahaha

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. Holy Mantle blocks on hit effects, so the Stopwatch is now completely useless on The Lost. Tested it out myself too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Nope. Holy Mantle blocks on hit effects, so the Stopwatch is now completely useless on The Lost. Tested it out myself too.

Well, that's a pile of poo poo but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Volt Catfish posted:

Nerf all fun items

nerf everything

Stopwatch was never fun.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

kemikalkadet posted:

Stopwatch was never fun.

Even then it didn't need to get nerfed into a useless piece of trash.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Like, if over a year into Rebirth's existence you're somehow still confusing Nicalis for competent software developers, I dunno what to say. Game's still fun though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh by the way

Stopwatch is still a special item. Hello there new Soy Milk. :geno: Though unlike Soy Milk, it Won't actively ruin a run on its own, but it'll make it less likely to see better special items.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

:whitewater:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I'm begining to think that, on top of Nicalis not being a very good or even professional developer team, Edmund might not be a very good video game designer and has just lucked his way in to a couple formulas that work very well. Much like Notch.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Hey this time hush and mega satan won't crash your game. Great patch over all.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I was thinking this, since the biggest thing for me was using it to trivialize stuff like Hush.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Stopwatch is still a special item. Hello there new Soy Milk. :geno: Though unlike Soy Milk, it Won't actively ruin a run on its own, but it'll make it less likely to see better special items.

Okay, now, that's bullshit.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

So stopwatch is useless for Lost now? Glad I still need to do his stuff on the new save. :suicide:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Welp there goes any chance of me beating the Boss Rush as the Lost.

Why did a special item it took 999 coins to unlock need to be nerfed?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I don't really understand why people are mad about them nerfing an item that was basically an autowin on 11 out of the 13 characters in the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fano posted:

I don't really understand why people are mad about them nerfing an item that was basically an autowin on 11 out of the 13 characters in the game.

Having easy runs with overpowered items is really fun sometimes

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

legoman727 posted:

Welp there goes any chance of me beating the Boss Rush as the Lost.

Why did a special item it took 999 coins to unlock need to be nerfed?

It was to bring it in line with The Keeper.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Fano posted:

Because it's a grind to unlock in the first place, and the nerf makes it yet another useless item for the Lost.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Fano posted:

Because adding "on get hit" effects to the game when The Lost is a character is just plain idiotic.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Remember when Edmund said that shop items would vary in cost depending on the percieved power of an item? Good idea, too bad it was nevet used.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fano posted:

Because there's too many items that I see and go "well that was a wasted key."

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Single player game with no online component beyond the recently introduced daily.

NERF NERF NERF NERF NERF

I don't get it, who gives a poo poo, there's still a myriad of ways to break the game, why nerf so many things, hell why nerf so many things after so long?

What is even the point of 999 coins now

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Fano posted:

Because it's an unlock you get after grinding the donation machine to 999? It was fine being stupid broken for an item that required that much hassle to unlock, especially given we didn't have a "unfuck the donation machine" item.

So yeah it's pretty lovely to take an item that took anywhere from 2-10 hours to unlock pre afterbirth and nerf it so it doesn't work with the one character you want it on the most and is a minor positive at best for every other character.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
haha

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"we're not developers, except for the part where we by definition are. we're really just kinda incompetent"

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Stopwatch nerf wouldn't actually be all that bad if they made it so that it was still always on for The Lost.

Taking away one of the already scant items that can allow him to beat super bosses is pretty dumb.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
They should list what you need to kill for the daily run on the menu in addition to the character you're playing. That way I can get a better gauge if I have time to do what run they are giving me.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Powerful items are cool but Stopwatch was basically an automatic victory in item form for everyone except The Lost and not even in a way that was particularly fun, so I'm not too broken up about it being nerfed. Although I agree that it definitely shouldn't count as a special item anymore.

Also I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase so salty about a game they've spent hundreds of hours playing as this one. Well no, actually I have, in MMOs, which leads me to conclude that there comes a point where some people simply get too invested in a game and from that point on every decision the devs make that they don't agree with makes them react like the sky is falling.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

but the decisions are usually not good are they?

I remember in the original boi when samson was complete trash and people had to yell a lot for him to get a buff. people had to yell a lot for the spiders to get nerfed too, what was it, they both took forever to kill and did a heart of damage? my memory's bad and it's been a long time so I'm not 100% sure on that

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kanfy posted:

Also I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase so salty about a game they've spent hundreds of hours playing as this one. Well no, actually I have, in MMOs

So when people spend a bunch of time with a game they like and the devs nerf something they use, they don't like it?? And the more time people spend playing something, the more upset they're likely to get when something's nerfed????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There has also been more nerfs than buffs throughout any post launch updates Rebirth and Afterbirth got, so there's probably gonna be more complaining than not.